katiepops
Guppy
Guppy
152 Posts

Re:Reviews for Tales of Sorrow: Strawsbrough Town

[Post New]by katiepops on Aug 19, 12 8:41 PM
I like this game just fine except for the puzzles, they are easy but boring and so slow. It's not that I couldn't figure them out just the slow moving pace to get there.
I also wondered if they had permission to use copyrighted things. Like the Disney Dwarf or the RIngling Brothers LOgo and poster on the circus tent.

[Post New]by WolfenRaindancer on Aug 19, 12 11:53 PM
I just finished it and had fun with it. Parts of it were different, and the story carried me right along. The hos were challenging at times, and I actually like the hint system. I am a speed reader and I only looked at what I needed at that time. Just because the extra stuff was there didn't mean I had to read it if I didn't want to

I did wind up skipping the Imaginarium puzzles...just didn't enjoy them at all, but did think the concept was interesting. I didn't find the scenes too dark, and thought the graphics were interesting. I like this one a lot better than some we have seen lately, including a CE or two.

Can't wait to see what they come out with next.

Sheerija
Pufferfish
Pufferfish
1,451 Posts

[Post New]by Sheerija on Aug 20, 12 1:15 AM
REVIEW OF COMPLETED GAME
This is a nice enough game for what it is. If it's a first effort, they did reasonably well. Nice graphics. Very good navigation. Fast hint button. Interesting game play. There is a very good SG built into the hint button, for outside of the HOS, which was a major pro for me and I really appreciated it. There is a map, but it doesn't allow for jumping and I found it superfluous, as there aren't that many locations in the game and one leads to another anyway, so I never found the need to consult it. Music just so-so.

The v/os are well done but the text that goes with it cannot be sped up. Most people read much faster than these characters talk and it was tiresome waiting for them to finish and move on. You can skip the conversations if you want, which I ended up doing. I was sorry to do this as I like to follow a story, but it was just too frustrating to wait around.

The Objective Updated box lingered far too long on the screen and took ages to dissolve. It only needed to flash up quickly, if at all, for a few seconds. This was profoundly annoying.

Using some inventory items on objects sometimes went into extreme slow-motion mode for some reason. I was left watching a box for far too long, waiting for the item to connect to the object.

Some of the cut scenes also had the above problem. I suspect this tactic may have been employed in an effort to make the game seem longer, but if so, it's clumsy and isn't fooling anyone. It's not possible for me, personally, to know exactly how long it took me to play, as I had many interruptions over 2 days and lost track, but it didn't feel particulary short to me.

There is definitely a lot of room for improvement, should they decide to do another one, but it's not too bad at all. I rate it 6/10.

Edited on 08/20/2012 at 1:18:41 AM PST

pvsquare
Guppy
Guppy
177 Posts

[Post New]by pvsquare on Aug 20, 12 8:05 AM
This game has a good story line. The graphics, voice-over and HOS are well done.The hint button gives you a walkthrough when you are not in a HO or puzzle. The use of hints in the HO is different from most HO games. The walkthrough keeps up with your progress. Over all I think this game is worth the price. I am buying this one.

[Post New]by kris_cross48 on Aug 20, 12 10:37 AM
bought and finished the game///you know, that was fun.
It was slightly dated as far as graphics, but the simplicity was also a relief from the over realism in some games.
Great story, moved right along. I didn't find there were loading issues at all.
Only issue I personally had...wished it had a bonus..I would have liked to continue for another hour or so.
chris

[Post New]by daisyduck352 on Aug 20, 12 2:46 PM
Found this to be something I would have found a couple of years ago. It did have voice overs, but it just wasn't a fast pace game. Storyline a familar one and graphics were ok but nothing great. Had a map it you want to call it that, but it was a map. Hints reloaded fast and puzzles were easy. Have questions about buying it, too many great games out there.

lym_1609
Parrotfish
Parrotfish
431 Posts

[Post New]by lym_1609 on Aug 21, 12 6:34 AM
Another good game. Quite frustrating puzzle with the rotating pictures that you had to click up and down, I would rather tackle jigsaw anytime. I cant get it correct, so had to skipped it. It looks right, but somehow not right. Arrgh......

HOGs had good graphics, colourful characters and creepy scenery that befit the story.

4/5 (1/2 pt deducted for repeated puzzles)

[Post New]by feenix2011 on Aug 23, 12 11:44 AM
Against my better judgement, I ended up buying this game with a punch card credit. It isn't the worst game I have ever played, but it sure ain't the best!! First of all, I agree as stated in the reviews and comments, WAY TOO MUCH DIAGLOGUE, and no way to click through it. Snorrrrrring, borrrrrring! Also, the HOS which I detest anyway, unless they are some of the cool interactive ones (and these aren't), must have been done with Superman in mind, cuz you need XRAY vision to see the objects!! Lets see, what else? The "monster" in front of the windmill was the most ridiculous thing I have ever seen in a game!! Stupid looking thing!! And I don't know where the devs are from, but some of the objects In the HOS (of which there are many), I couldn't find, not because I don't have xray vision (!!), but because I never heard the word they were using to describe an object. I liked the mini-games, all except that imaginarium thing. And the art work was so-so. It reminded me of alot older games. I think new gamers may enjoy this game, but for me it was "eh".

feenix

qpr1
Clownfish
Clownfish
733 Posts

[Post New]by qpr1 on Aug 26, 12 8:47 PM
finished the demo in 50 mins, liked the game, thought the h.o's were standard, liked the graphics. i have a 27" monitor and the widescreen worked just fine for me!

tootsie94
Seahorse
Seahorse
27 Posts

[Post New]by tootsie94 on Aug 28, 12 5:08 PM
i thought this game was really good..a little short but it was refreshing..it wasn't the same old hummm drum...i would like to see a sequel..i'm sorry its over

Kamille_59
Seahorse
Seahorse
21 Posts

[Post New]by Kamille_59 on Sep 6, 12 9:33 AM
It was a wonderful experience. Tales of Sorrow gave me more than I could expect. Captivating storyline and interesting characters. The game flows smoothly; great hint system is definitely a plus. HOS were not super challenging but challenging enough to have fun.
Give the game .

qpr1
Clownfish
Clownfish
733 Posts

[Post New]by qpr1 on Oct 5, 12 8:02 AM
the game was ok but far too short

cnbmimi11
Guppy
Guppy
192 Posts

[Post New]by cnbmimi11 on Oct 6, 12 7:16 PM
enjoyed game very much

bessiegirl
Clownfish
Clownfish
738 Posts

[Post New]by bessiegirl on Oct 19, 12 9:52 AM
Only lasted about 30 into the demo. This game had the stuff to be a good game, however due to the following, it just made it too cumbersome to wade through:
1. Had to change from custom curser because it was too slow and clumbsy.

2. Thought by turning off voice-overs which were really slow, that I could click through dialog. Wrong....if you could read faster than they could speak, it didn't matter, you were stuck....if you wanted to move along, you had to skip the entire interaction.

3. The inventory and task bar kept bouncing up and down, up and down...really annoying. No way to stop it.

4. Hint button not fast or slow and instead of moving you along or hinting at next move...it actually popped up kind of a strategy guide...wierd.

5. Lots of HOS...basically that is where you got your inventory items so I got a little tired of them...HOS lovers will like this game.

Had a map...but good grief it was way too complex and didn't show anything but where you could go.

All of this made the game sluggish and slow. Graphics were clear, bright and amazing. Had to give this a 2 . Glad I didn't waste a credit on it.

Edited on 10/19/2012 at 9:53:55 AM PST

Ongoldenpond
Guppy
Guppy
151 Posts

[Post New]by Ongoldenpond on Nov 12, 12 8:03 AM
Nice game but nothing really special. Graphics were good and storyline held my interest. Too many straight Hidden Object scenes for my taste these days and somewhat on the easy side. Good game for beginners and for those days when you don't feel like taxing your brain.

Jurinne
Clownfish
Clownfish
606 Posts

[Post New]by Jurinne on Jun 30, 13 10:37 PM
Review based on completed game:

It's not bad. There are some problems with English words. A cabbage turns out to be an artichoke. There is a major problem with the date of the carnival that turns out to be impossible but I shouldn't even mention that. I guess. Sorry.

It's of a decent length. There was one type of game, repeated several times, that I could never succeed in completing so I had to skip those. It doesn't take too long to skip. The hints are great; almost like having a built-in SG, except that if your vision isn't good you probably won't be able to see the very small pictures.

HOS are bad. Some items are so tiny or so well-blended into the background that they were impossible for me to see. There is no interaction.

Areas that can be zoomed into can still be zoomed into when there is nothing to be done there. I found that aggravating.

The story is interesting to a point. I don't know. It's an OK game; nothing to get excited about. It's fine for a DD or a freebie but I wouldn't waste real money on it.

Cherry

dollyflower
Pufferfish
Pufferfish
1,373 Posts

[Post New]by dollyflower on Aug 21, 13 11:14 AM
Only one complaint...I wish the inventory list could be locked open. It's so annoying to have it bouncing up and down! Otherwise, I love the game.

lilyr
Marlin
Marlin
8,137 Posts

[Post New]by lilyr on Sep 21, 13 8:30 PM
I just completed this game and I love it! Good story, good graphics (fit the theme), map that shows you where you need to go (but doesn't jump). The Hint button becomes a mini-strategy guide if you need it (and I did!).

The game is very linear ( something I liked since there wasn't a walkthrough). I liked it and I think players fairly new to this type of game would like it. I was surprised that I bought it -- I almost never buy a game without a walkthrough. I'm glad I bought this one!

Go to: