cherbtoo
Orca Whale
Orca Whale
22,629 Posts

Re:Reviews for Awakening: The Skyward Castle Collector's Edition

[Post New]by cherbtoo on Aug 23, 12 5:23 PM
Review based on completed game plus bonus

I'm a real slow coach compared to others because this game actually took me over 12 hours to complete on the Normal setting. I think this long time was partly due to my arthritic hand struggling to cope with the puzzles where you had to draw simple shapes with the cursor, me being a bit thick about some of the puzzles and stopping for meals breaks, phone etc.

Apart from the above I also experienced some brief lagging in the game, both in the changing between a few scenes but particularly when I clicked on the reset button in some of the puzzles. Whether these were faults were with the game or my anti virus updating and interfering with it I just don't know, could even have been both because I didn't experience any lagging with the beta test that I did on my old square monitor.

I thought the graphics were absolutely gorgeous and filled my widescreen monitor and the voiceovers added to the game, I even kept the music on low throughout the whole game which is most unusual for me.

I loved the interactiveness of the hidden object scenes, some of the items were a little bit small though. I also enjoyed the majority of the puzzles but others not so, about those I will just say that I have seen enough runes for the next 12 months .

What I have not seen enough of though is that cute little Pocket Dragon and I hope that he will appear in future games too but in the meantime I am waiting for a little stuffed one to sit next to Felix on the top of my tower, please pretty please .

Cherb

Foxy57
Squid
Squid
74 Posts

[Post New]by Foxy57 on Aug 23, 12 5:42 PM
hello all.. I must say I did not like that game at all. In fact I played 15 minutes and deleted it fast... It is a Collector and yet you do not have access to strategy guide or other things. When will the devs understand ??

I found the concept childish and frankly I have seen much better graphics and story line many times before.

It is a no buy for me

VTCT
Clownfish
Clownfish
591 Posts

[Post New]by VTCT on Aug 23, 12 9:06 PM
This is one of my favorites series but the ending is up in the air hope there is another one do to the fact the Princess hasn't saved her parents yet. Will there be onther?

murphy1923
Squid
Squid
74 Posts

[Post New]by murphy1923 on Aug 24, 12 7:10 AM
If I don't care for a game, I usually just deleted it and move on - and I probably should just do that.
I must have played the trials of the previous in the series, and forgot why I didn't like them - starting with the cutesy stuff. Just couldn't deal with unicorns and little girl voices. Give me "Nightmares..." etc and other well-designed games for adults!
Having said that, on to the next.

[Post New]by mindyz123 on Aug 24, 12 7:50 AM
This game was absolutely beautiful and so much fun to play. This is one of my favorite series on BFG. I never got bored and was so into the game I lost track of time and almost had to rush to work. The page says it is an epic conclusion, however the way the game ended they HAVE to have another as the end of the epilogue is a crazy cliffhanger. I hope there's another game and I can't wait to play it.

mhatfie
Pufferfish
Pufferfish
1,447 Posts

[Post New]by mhatfie on Aug 24, 12 12:03 PM
Really nice, interesting, fun adventure, can't say one bad thing about this game and all the good things have already been said by others. Sad if they don't make another one.

Lilly214
Minnow
Minnow
221 Posts

[Post New]by Lilly214 on Aug 24, 12 12:55 PM
I have only one negative remark to make about this game - too many mini-games - I'm not a big fan.

gingergal
Manatee
Manatee
3,873 Posts

[Post New]by gingergal on Aug 24, 12 7:18 PM
Excellent game from boomzap, the best in the series. If you are really into plot it’s best to play the series as this isn’t a stand alone game. It does give you some recaps so you aren’t lost re plot if you haven’t played the others.

For those that love a lot of straight HOS this is not your game. I’d class this as a puzzle with adventure with a few varied type of HOS game. There are not a lot of HOS even the varied type, so this will either please you like me, or you will be disappointed.

There are 3 choice of play settings and you can’t change them once you start (until bonus) and the hardest is hard – no transporter map tips, no instructions to puzzles and no skip on puzzle but you do get a hint button. 5/5 hardness if you play on hardest setting.

What I love about this game is that the transporter map is completely new each chapter. You don’t go back into old areas – each chapter is completely different setting. Also you don’t repeat any HOS. Thank you for both these things, it’s rare and it takes a lot more effort on the part of the DEV to do this.

HIDDEN OBJECTS SCENES (HOS) 20 in main game.

8 list, 7 find ‘x’ amount of same item, 3 find ‘pic’ (ie runes) in the scene, 1 find pairs, 1 find silhouette,

There is a random click penalty, they are all (bar one) very highly interactive on all the different types. There are no junk piles, no repeating of HOS. But even though there aren’t many most of them took a long time to do as there were very interactive.

PUZZLES
– (numbers are roughly as I didn’t have a skip button, it was hard to judge what was a puzzle) – 67 in main game!!

Puzzle lovers you will adore this game. Others don’t be put off as a lot of these are done in way under a minute and a fair few are super easy. What is ingenious as those of us who love a bit more of a challenge gets it by trying to work out what the puzzle is (if play on hardest setting). Some puzzles were easy but I thought they were a different type, so that was good. They were some original, a few were repeated.

CHAPTER BREAKDOWN OF PUZZLES AND HOS

Chapter 1 - HOS 6, puzzles 12
Chapter 2 – HOS 7, puzzles 23
Chapter 3 – HOS 5, puzzles 20
Chapter 4 – HOS 2, puzzles 12

TBC

gingergal
Manatee
Manatee
3,873 Posts

[Post New]by gingergal on Aug 24, 12 7:19 PM
continued

Cons –

Journal sparkles, SG had to go to menu to get it, also too many steps to close it.
I did not like the ending in either the main game or the bonus.

ENDING

The main game was left like the others in the series it did not feel like a tied up conclusion to it. Either this is the end to the series or it’s not! The bonus didn’t address any of the story a SE player may think as it’s a bonus plot but had the most abrupt completely unfinished plot that I remember in any game.

BONUS

SG
Achievements
All cutscenes unlocked (15? + 2 in bonus)
7 wallpaper
6 music (soundtrack to game)
6 concept art
19 nonogram – once you do one the next is unlocked

BONUS PLAY –

You meet up with one of the characters in the series. It’s all different setting again with new transporter map.

11 puzzles -Couple of arcade type games but good variety of hardness and type.
2 HOS - 1 list and 1 find shape/pic in scene.

Bonus took me 1hr 20 min. Main game took me 7hrs 20 mins (official time) playing hardest setting. (I did use a couple of hints but not in HOS or puzzles, and the SG twice - to help you judge length)

While this is a good length bonus it is shorter than the other chapters and the ending was so abrupt. I prefer the ending to the main game, although not tied up bonus plot didn't address anything in it.

It still gets a rare 5 star from me and even a rarer 5 star for a CE.

lym_1609
Parrotfish
Parrotfish
431 Posts

[Post New]by lym_1609 on Aug 24, 12 10:58 PM
Great graphics: 1/5
Good storyline: 2/5
HOGs need a "bit" interaction with other objects but still not too hard, yet make this a bit more challenging than pure HOGs : 3/5
Lots of things to do, not much pure HOGs scene: 4/5
Easy and smooth flow and cursor control: 4.5/5

Cute characters: not really, but live like characters: 4.8/5

Ha....haaa...My standards to get 5, you need funny, cute, somewhat whimsical characters a la City of Fools

Verdict: 4.5/5

Great game

laraly
Parrotfish
Parrotfish
428 Posts

[Post New]by laraly on Aug 25, 12 3:14 AM
I have all three Avakening of the series: Moonfell, Shattered casle and the Goblin Kingdom, and I have enjoyed very much this sequel, but this last one didn't grab me like the others, thou is a very good game, soothing music, great graphics, easy minigames, yet from these devlps I expected more perfection and less sluggishness; black screen to pass from one location to another one, the usual "must save" weeping story, seen and seen again, awful spelling mistakes, no SG, thou I didn't need it, but for a Collettor Edition is a must, I will definetly wait for the SE to come out!

[Post New]by BrideyFearn on Aug 25, 12 8:47 AM
I bought the game immediately because I loved the series (though I wasn't as crazy about The Goblin Kingdom}.

Bummed.

The minigames seemed to be numerous and not my personal favorites. I wanted to get on with the story and got stalled again and again to play the same stuff over and over. i finally gaveup and skipped most of them, and danged if I didn't get an "award" for playing them without hints!

There was no ending.

Great graphics, as usual, but honest to Pete -- END THIS! PLEASE! I don't want to have to buy the next endless installment.

cav1976es
Starfish
Starfish
41 Posts

[Post New]by cav1976es on Aug 25, 12 11:37 AM
sorry but I did not like this game. I found it too confusing as to what to do next or where to go. I found the puzzles too difficult also. Couldn't wait for the demo to be over.

dancemom1
Angelfish
Angelfish
1,198 Posts

[Post New]by dancemom1 on Aug 25, 12 3:27 PM
I have the other 3 Awakening games and really liked them, especially the little dragon. I'm not sure about this one. Graphics seem more cartoon-like than the other games, HOGs are not difficult, switch between voice-overs and none (please do one or the other). Like the little owl and the 3 choices for game play.

This game just didn't grab my attention like the others and didn't make me want to purchase as soon as my time ran out. Just seemed very slow and dragging, which may pick up as the game goes on, hopefully.

Haven't crossed this one off my list yet. I will put it in the puddle and think on it a bit. Thanks for the reviews.

rhonayotte
Catfish
Catfish
1,555 Posts

[Post New]by rhonayotte on Aug 25, 12 8:24 PM
Okay, for my 2 cents. I seldom write reviews, but need to on this one. I thought the graphics were great. And found the HO scenes challenging. I did not however enjoy most of the mini games. For one, there were way too many of them! One after another after another. And besides that, the instructions were so vague; even with the help of the Strategy Guide. I absolutely abhore any type of Sudoku game, no matter how they are set up and I hate those games with the squares and numbers just as much!

It was difficult in many areas to determine what to do or where to go next and that was frustrating! I had to resort on the SG more times than I care to or have ever had to in the past. And I played in the easiest mode!

There were several times where I did enjoy myself. But the percentage of frustration outweighed the percentage of enjoyment by a large margin.

There also were things that you had to do that made absolutely no sense whatsoever, like in the Epilogue calling the Dragon with flowers. What???

Lastly this is supposed to be the final game of the series. Unles they come out with another Series with a different title rather than Awakening, the ending on this one made no sense and was a surprise and disapointment!

Have to say I wish I had NOT bought the CE!

Edited on 08/25/2012 at 8:26:27 PM PST

weyrelady
Seahorse
Seahorse
39 Posts

[Post New]by weyrelady on Aug 26, 12 6:40 AM
I AGREE WITH YOU ON THIS ONE RHONAYOTTE.

I buy CE'S more for the bonus games then the other extras and am usually happy with them even though they seem to be more prequals then sequals lately.

I thought the game would have been worth the price had there been a decent bonus but this Bonus/Epilogue seems to be just a

SNEAK PREVEIW OF THE TRIAL CHAPTER WHICH WILL BE THE START OF THE NEXT EPISODE ???

(Which I could download and play for nothing!)

and not a whole bonus game. So if I had waited for the SE I would have saved half the price i paid for the CE and would have enjoyed the game just as much.

jcsgame
Pufferfish
Pufferfish
1,392 Posts

[Post New]by jcsgame on Aug 26, 12 1:51 PM
This game would have been better IF it did NOT have so many mini-puzzles. It seemed like every time I turned around in the game, there was another puzzle to solve. After awhile, I couldn't wait for the game to be over. With so many puzzles to solve, it was difficult to keep track of the story. To me, the game became tedious rather than an enjoyable.
80 mini-game puzzles
60 NON-Hidden Object mini-games

The previous Awakening games were better.

The ending of the Bonus Chapter leaves a lot to be desired....is it a continuation into another game???

Edited on 08/27/2012 at 7:05:24 AM PST

OzzyRobyn
Minnow
Minnow
254 Posts

[Post New]by OzzyRobyn on Aug 26, 12 3:43 PM

As good as one and two. You don't really need to have played them, but the story makes more sense if you have and besides, they are worth playing.

As before, the artwork is very pretty and makes me want to explore more than I'm allowed to, and best of all these developers understand that those of us with large screens enjoy having a widescreen aspect in windowed mode. I can't comment on the music because I always turn it off. I found some of the voices a bit annoying but if you read fast you can click thru them. Not many H0s if that's what you are looking for, and what there are are interactive. Some of the puzzles got a bit boring with repetition, but that's not unusual and it's not as bad as some, plus Skip works fast in Casual mode.

I'm looking forward to #4! Highly recommended.

OzzyRobyn
Minnow
Minnow
254 Posts

[Post New]by OzzyRobyn on Aug 26, 12 3:46 PM

Edited on 08/30/2012 at 1:31:53 AM PST

mst3kr
Guppy
Guppy
115 Posts

[Post New]by mst3kr on Aug 27, 12 12:11 AM
Just finished. While I did skip 2 of the mini games, I didn't skip anything else in the game and it took me just under 6 hours on the Dreadmyre (the hardest) setting.

* Graphics were quite good. Maybe a little too cutesy for some but still good, nonetheless.
* The length of the main game was also quite good.
* The voice overs (especially Captain Jack Sparrow! ) were very well done.
* The mini games were a range of mind-numbingly easy to mind-numbingly mind-numbing. Some had almost no logic or clear direction to them to complete, while others I over-thought them 'cuz I kept saying "This MUST be harder than it looks!"
* Not a lot of HOG scenes, but those that were there were fun; a lot of interactive scenes and some different "find 'em" quests.
* There is a map that allows you to teleport, but (and I'm not sure if this is the case on the easiest setting), but the map would sparkle all the time but when I'd click on it, it didn't tell me a dang thing (where to go next or what areas weren't "cleared")!
* When accessing the strat guide, it went right to the page I needed based on where I was in the game. Nice touch.
* The transitions between scenes were semi-slow and felt like padding to the game to add time to it. Kind of annoying to me...
* The bonus game was really rather short and very, very abrupt!
* Neither the main game, nor the bonus game really tied up the storyline(s). So, I guess that means another game is on the horizon.

All in all, a really good game that I'm glad I bought. I don't know if I'd qualify it as "Game of the Year" as some others have, but I'm glad it's part of my collection.

And yes. I want one of those purring mini-dragons. Just too cute!

Go to: