Mandragora

imm1264
Herring
Herring
389 Posts

Re:Mandragora

[Post New]by imm1264 on Feb 8, 09 1:01 PM
This game wouldn't have been so bad if it weren't so stingy with the time allowed to accomplish the goal. The trees DID seem to require too much watering.

eleanor1183
Dogfish
Dogfish
1,991 Posts

[Post New]by eleanor1183 on Feb 8, 09 1:06 PM
Yet another example of the obsession with TIMERS destroying what might have been an enjoyable little game.

Are they NEVER going to get it???

firestone1960
Flounder
Flounder
2,309 Posts

[Post New]by firestone1960 on Feb 8, 09 1:22 PM
I agree, really wish the timer wasn't there, or at least a lot longer...lol
I really like the way it looks though, and wish it had a screen saver mode.

silvermist
Angelfish
Angelfish
1,160 Posts

[Post New]by silvermist on Feb 8, 09 2:04 PM
eleanor1183 wrote:Yet another example of the obsession with TIMERS destroying what might have been an enjoyable little game.

Are they NEVER going to get it???

I LOVED this game....for 19 minutes....then just gave up. I won every level til the larger box, and then I thought I would get to do the designing level....gardening level ....but NO....you need to PLAY THE WHOLE GAME IN TIMED MODE BEFORE YOU GET TO ENJOY YOURSELF DESIGNING BEAUTIFUL TREES!!!!!

Sorry developers...AS MUCH AS i WOULD HAVE LOVED THE RELAXED PORTION OF THIS GAME, I'M NOT WILLING TO STRESS MYSELF OUT TO GET THERE

cherbtoo
Orca Whale
Orca Whale
22,629 Posts

[Post New]by cherbtoo on Feb 8, 09 2:06 PM
I should have listened and not tried it.

pfalcioni
Minnow
Minnow
287 Posts

[Post New]by pfalcioni on Feb 8, 09 3:14 PM
I can imagine the conversation during the planning stages:

'Lets do a Plant Tycoon game that takes all that pesky difficulty out'

'Yea, but we have to make it tough in some way. I know, add a timer and make them water and swat bugs incessantly'

'Wow, yea, that's bound to sell!'

A voice of reason pipes up halfway through developement: 'Uh, guys, this tutorial doesn't make sense after the second level. How can we have people understand what the goal is when every level after the second one is the same?'

Whispered to supervisor 'Don't worry about him boss, he'll get a transfer from gameplay development down to background design'

And the final meeting prior to game launch: 'Uh oh, the beta didn't go over well, people said there weren't any real goals and the tasks were annoying!' 'Well, slap an environmental message on at the beginning and it'll sell anyway!'

Bah. What a waste of some pretty graphics.

silvermist
Angelfish
Angelfish
1,160 Posts

[Post New]by silvermist on Feb 8, 09 3:46 PM
pfalcioni....

Cyndo123
Shark
Shark
14,957 Posts

[Post New]by Cyndo123 on Feb 8, 09 3:48 PM
Pfalcioni ~ LOL That was perfect!

pfalcioni
Minnow
Minnow
287 Posts

[Post New]by pfalcioni on Feb 8, 09 3:52 PM
I've always wanted to be a fly on the wall at some of those preliminary brainstorming sessions that result in these less-than-stellar games!

chimenesryan
Pufferfish
Pufferfish
1,447 Posts

[Post New]by chimenesryan on Feb 8, 09 5:28 PM
I tried it .. about 30 minutes after it was available, I made it to the 3rd level, and failed it 3 times, I just wasn't mixing fast enough, watering nearly 90% of the time you have to complete.

So right now I'm back into a free game, Puzzle Pirates, I'm glad I started it up again been at it oh for nearly 24 hours now (minus a 5 hour nap this morning).

I'll check back here in a few days.

delrio_gw
Seahorse
Seahorse
31 Posts

[Post New]by delrio_gw on Feb 8, 09 8:26 PM
i'm SO glad i'm not the only one who really doesn't see the point in this game

there's no FUN element to it whatsoever, it's just drudgery

it's a shame in a way, because it's beautifully presented, but right from the very first voiceover (someone who speaks english would be better next time), this game had fail written all over it

MintyCuppcake
Angelfish
Angelfish
1,183 Posts

[Post New]by MintyCuppcake on Feb 8, 09 11:07 PM
I kind of liked this game. But like many I found the levels did not allow enough time. Would I like plant tycoon in this case?

juliamadeane
Flounder
Flounder
2,137 Posts

[Post New]by juliamadeane on Feb 8, 09 11:15 PM
I tend to really try to give each game a fair shake (not that the rest of you aren't) . . . that shake is over!! I never understood exactly what they were wanting of me. I think they are trying to do something along the lines of Plant Tycoon, only i Plant Tycoon you knew what you were doing and why. I didn't get that here. I deleted after 15 minutes or so.

babseymaz
Flounder
Flounder
2,179 Posts

[Post New]by babseymaz on Feb 8, 09 11:38 PM
juliamadeane wrote:I tend to really try to give each game a fair shake (not that the rest of you aren't) . . . that shake is over!! I never understood exactly what they were wanting of me. I think they are trying to do something along the lines of Plant Tycoon, only i Plant Tycoon you knew what you were doing and why. I didn't get that here. I deleted after 15 minutes or so.

I agree. These to me are generic and are trying to imitate Last day of Work games, i.e., VVillagers, Fish Tycoon, and now Plant Tycoon. Not a happening thing!

APFamily
Lobster
Lobster
83 Posts

[Post New]by APFamily on Feb 8, 09 11:43 PM
MintyCuppcake wrote:I kind of liked this game. But like many I found the levels did not allow enough time.

I agree. I liked this game, but I feel like I'm not very good at it. How do you remember which seeds you've crossed? I feel like I need a pen and some paper while I play. LOL I'd like to talk to someone else who liked this game. I would consider buying it if I thought I would get better at it eventually. Haha!

ETA: I just read the view at Gamezebo and that was helpful. Says the game gets frantic after two worlds, with bugs coming in full force. I am so annoyed that you have to complete the whole timed game to get to the free play modes. Ugh.

Maggie

Edited on 02/08/2009 at 11:49:20 PM PST

MintyCuppcake
Angelfish
Angelfish
1,183 Posts

[Post New]by MintyCuppcake on Feb 8, 09 11:58 PM
APFamily wrote:
I agree. I liked this game, but I feel like I'm not very good at it. How do you remember which seeds you've crossed? I feel like I need a pen and some paper while I play. LOL I'd like to talk to someone else who liked this game. I would consider buying it if I thought I would get better at it eventually. Haha!

I have the first ones, breed each one with the others, then bred the best two with each other, breed that one with the other two, etc

eleanor1183
Dogfish
Dogfish
1,991 Posts

[Post New]by eleanor1183 on Feb 9, 09 6:29 AM
pfalcioni wrote:... 'Well, slap an environmental message on at the beginning and it'll sell anyway!'

Oh, yeah...forgot about the apparently obligatory sermon on saving the earth. As long as that's included, anything goes, it would seem.

delrio_gw wrote:...there's no FUN element to it whatsoever, it's just drudgery...

Well, sign me up for some of that...NOT!

Whatever happened to the idea of games being fun???

booksdar
Seahorse
Seahorse
23 Posts

[Post New]by booksdar on Feb 9, 09 7:33 AM
I truly enjoy logging on every morning to see what's new. But after so many days with the offering being so crummy, it gets very discouraging.

bfgAegean
Catfish
Catfish
1,568 Posts

[Post New]by bfgAegean on Feb 9, 09 9:03 AM
Hello everyone! I just thought I’d pop in and let you know that I’ve gone ahead and moved this discussion to the forum that we have set up for Mandragora.

Happy gaming!

felucca
Jellyfish
Jellyfish
19 Posts

[Post New]by felucca on Feb 9, 09 2:29 PM
I love plants and nature so I download all the farming and plant games. This one was a waste of a beautiful idea. Relaxing music and pretty graphics but horrid, boring, senseless and illogical game play.

It's a gamble to pick the right tree and hopefully match it up with another until you get the best possible breed but there's no rhyme or reason to it and all your efforts and concentration are taken up by watering the dang things and then most of them die because you're not fast enough.

Unless you have a perfect memory, it's difficult to keep up with which ones you've cross bred and there's no hint to tell you which are the parents trees so that you don't breed the same ones again. The timer was too quick so it left absolutely no room for error.

It was more frustrating than fun. I promptly deleted it after a few minutes.
I'm going to play a second round of Totem Tribe!

Edited on 02/09/2009 at 2:36:45 PM PST

Go to: