Re:Reviews for Jar of Marbles II: Journey to the West

[Post New]by WhackyMole on Aug 30, 12 8:36 AM
After reading everyone else's posts I thought I should chime in with mine.

Personally, I don't see why people gripe about the timer. Nearly every match 3 timer I've played had a timer and nobody griped about those timers.

I also don't find the timer to be a problem. It doesn't detract from my enjoyment of the game at all. As a matter of fact, it increases the strategic aspects of the game. You can no longer just sit there and drop marbles in the jar without a purpose like the first version.

For my own "review" of the game:

I think this game is a considerable improvement over the last version. It has a story, it gets progressively more difficult, it has achievements and you can do stuff in the jar like use lightning to blow stuff up or the power-wheel thing.

I love that the environments change and the marbles change. Like going up the mountain the marbles freeze, and near the peach tree there are peach marbles.. and on the snowy levels there's snowflakes.

I also like that the challenge increases as you go with locked marbles, and I already said frozen but the jars change shape and there are more of them.

For those that commented that they were writing a review and admitted they never actually played the game... why not? You cannot review something you've never actually seen.

Clearly this is a game you love or you don't. Go and give it a try and decide for yourself. You might be surprised.

Orchid_Witch
Minnow
Minnow
272 Posts

[Post New]by Orchid_Witch on Sep 6, 12 1:09 PM
Try this game. I enjoyed the first Jar of Marbles and I enjoy JoM2. There are things I would approve upon, but I have that with every game.

Why do so many people have a problem with the timer? It's a game, it's supposed to have a challenge. Besides, I've played the whole game and have only missed the time once, and even then, you don't lose points or get penalized or anything. The music is beautiful, the background sounds are relaxing, and the power ups are really helpful. I'll still go back to the first one for the ability to pick my jar, but JoM2 is a fun game.

Orchid_Witch
Minnow
Minnow
272 Posts

[Post New]by Orchid_Witch on Sep 6, 12 1:13 PM
chiari_survivor-you can read the list of achievements by dragging the list itself. You can't use your scroll wheel or the bar to the right. Grab the list itself and drag it up or down.

RyeMcLaughlin
Stingray
Stingray
4,659 Posts

[Post New]by RyeMcLaughlin on Sep 10, 12 6:58 PM
Based on the one hour demo.

Drop marbles into a bowl filled with marbles and make matches to clear marbles. The level is over when you have eliminated enough marbles in order for the marbles with puzzle pieces inside to match. (Did I use the word marbles often enough? )

Good graphics - the marbles are pretty and varied - widescreen, no music - just sound effects and environmental noises (both are good). You can adjust Screen resolution. Timed - not generously. Can not have multiple users.

There are 12 Achievements to earn. You can't see them all apparently until you unlock them - the scroll bar is frozen. There are also a few power ups as you progress. They don't seem to be very powerful, at least on the early levels.

When you close the Options window, my screen went black and the desktop came up, and then the game comes back.

I might have liked this if there were an untimed option. Normally I prefer timed levels and I'm good at them, but this one has just too much chance involved to make a timer much fun. The levels are short though, so at least you don't feel like you've wasted too much time. Give it a try if you like Match 3 and or Marble Poppers.

[Post New]by Vantripper on Dec 2, 13 10:40 PM
I really like this game except:

-when I am tired and just want to cruise along I really WANT the untimed option - please do an update for your fans. I have JOM1 too.

-I would like to see some explanation of how to use the wheel properly. What's with the % numbers on the wheel? Why does it disappear sometimes after completing a level and why does it reappear sometimes?

Other than those annoyances, I like the colours and the various levels. I have restarted this game to see if I can figure out a better use for the wheel but I am getting frustrated.

If you like good instructions, this is NOT the game for you. If you want untimed options, this won't do it for you.

Go to: