textrekkie
Shark
Shark
13,265 Posts

Re:Reviews for Gothic Fiction: Dark Saga Collector's Edition

[Post New]by textrekkie on Aug 30, 12 8:09 AM
Based on the demo version of the game:

Both wide screen and fullscreen modes worked on my 32" PC monitor. And I do want to note that in the demo version, all the extras were unlocked.

This is NOT an iHOPA (Hidden Object Puzzle Adventure) as the game description states. (not developer's fault.) It is an Adventure lite, meaning it has puzzles (the most frustrating part of which are finding the pieces - solving the puzzles is easy), and there is lots of wandering around and there are inventory items to find. 'Inventory items' do not carry the same connotation as hidden objects. (Adventure games have inventory items and puzzles, yet they are not considered hidden object games. Whoever classifies games at BFG, please take note.)

Playing in the hardest mode - I finished the demo version in 35 minutes using no hints, no skips and no strategy guide.

And while I normally applaud any game by this developer with no HOS, I can't remember a time when I've been less interested in playing one. It just didn't shine for me in any way - it just flatlined.

Edited on 08/31/2012 at 7:28:32 AM PST

[Post New]by LapTopDancerr on Aug 30, 12 8:17 AM
HOPLA=HIDDEN OBJECT PUZZLE LITE ADVENTURE
All the usual suspects have given their excellent expert information I rely on to get started. Thanks Valdy and the rest! I've seen reviews with people writing about HOGs being more like Adventure and call them Adventure Lite, or don't know how to classify them. How about HOPLA = Hidden Object Puzzle Light Adventure? We still need to find objects, even though there is no list, to further the entire game along; It isn't a full blown Adventure where you have to talk to everyone 100 times/going in circles, etc. I hope this title helps everyone and I'd be thrilled if it's accepted. Been a member since 2008, don't contribute to reviews, because alot of people write excellent reviews already.
Bought the CE and it plays great on my laptop. It fills the entire screen without making any adjustments and you can access the extras before the main game ends. The use of "black smoke/clouds" like Sins of Our Father is used throughout, Awesome! I hope not every developer jumps on the bandwagon, using this color like turquoise.
This isn't exactly a HOG, although you do have to find or come across objects that go into the inventory and be used to start or complete another portion of the game. Colors are fabulous. Love the game with the knight! Never seen that before. For all the peeps that aren't too happy with the direction ERS is taking, I'd just like to say since I'm not very good at (hah! what an understatement) Adventure games, this is the perfect HOPLA for me. The difficulty level is just right (played expert w. no skips, & the second level). Don't mind getting lost, or having to play a mini game over and over because the scenes are beautifully rendered. I can still figure out where or what to do without resorting to the SG constantly.
Not the same old ERS music. Even though I'm a fan of ERS (except for Penumbra Motel) I agree the music was getting a little old and annoying. Live action used, thankfully at a minimum for me. Too much of it, and it creeps me out more than the game. I feel like it's weird 'reality'. I play games to escape and games animated like this, suits me just fine. Highly recommend this game. Thank you it's been awhile since you made my day. Thank you ERS
edit/spelling

Edited on 08/30/2012 at 9:05:03 AM PST

tj1147
Clownfish
Clownfish
654 Posts

[Post New]by tj1147 on Aug 30, 12 8:34 AM
Review after playing most of demo: (I like to save some time on the demo in case I decide to buy the game...easier for me to find on my GM.)

I love the graphics - as usual with this developer. Voices - not so much and the constant repeated "sound" that I cannot identify is somewhat distracting. The puzzles have not been difficult with the exception of having to find some of the objects to complete some of them. I do like the "live actors" in a game...make it almost like a movie. I don't mind the lack of H0 scenes but I do enjoy them if they are not constantly appearing in a game - especially the FROG ones or the interactive ones...none in this game thus far. The map is somewhat helpful. Hint refill isn't very quick. No technical issues at all for me (knock on wood!!). I said that about a recent CE but found in a short time there was a major glitch that thankfully was "repaired" and I could finish that game.

The game does seem interesting, but having to wait on animations or dialog distracts me from the game itself. I most likely will buy this game - later - if it is offered as a SE.

Izziewizz
Guppy
Guppy
116 Posts

[Post New]by Izziewizz on Aug 30, 12 9:31 AM
I'm enjoying the game - as usual, great graphics, nice interactions and interesting puzzles - though I do agree some are a bit too easy.

I've bought the CE at the sale price, it's only a couple of quid more than the SE will be.

I do prefer a map I can use to transport to the locations.

tammytheo
Clownfish
Clownfish
738 Posts

[Post New]by tammytheo on Aug 30, 12 9:34 AM
I FINISHED THE GAME A LITTLE WHILE AGO AND I HAVE TO SAY THAT THIS GAME IS ABSOLUTELY STUNNING! IN MY OPINION IT'S ONE OF THE BEST GAMES ERS AND BIG FISH HAVE BROUGHT TO US! OF COURSE IT HAS SOME DISADVANTAGES, LIKE MOST OF THE GAMES, BUT I'M INTO GAMES FOR THE FUN AND I'M TRYING NOT TO TAKE SOME THINGS VERY SERIOUSLY. THERE IS ENOUGH OF THAT IN REAL LIFE!

SO, IF YOU LIKE PUZZLE AND ADVENTURE GAMES, THIS IS NOT A HIDDEN OBJECT GAME, YOU DEFINITELY HAVE TO TRY THIS ONE OUT! DON'T FORGET THE DISCOUNT OFFER!

TAKE CARE ALL.

Edited on 07/04/2013 at 9:38:06 AM PST

Sherryah
Parrotfish
Parrotfish
479 Posts

[Post New]by Sherryah on Aug 30, 12 9:37 AM
I bought the game before demo ended and this will be a short review so I can get back into it again. I love this game!

The voices in it are perfect, the graphics very clear and beautifully done, animation is great, the mini games especially the knight one was so much fun. The storyline is compelling. This game can only be described with one word Awesome!

The game is more interactive and thankfully I have not seen a hidden object yet but I did not finish the demo so I hope I do not see one. After thousands of hidden object games since I have been a member of BFG since the start of it, I am bored out of my mind with hidden object games in a list. I think I have bought nearly all of them.

I wanted different mini games and different music through out the game and thus far ERS game has done this as far as I have proceeded in the game. I highly recommend people to try the demo and see if you agree. I had no computer glitches and easy to install and download. Thanks for another great game. I love games with voices it really pulls me into the story more and again I just want to say the people who did the voices do a fantastic job.

Edited on 08/30/2012 at 9:38:11 AM PST

angelfishp
Catfish
Catfish
1,600 Posts

[Post New]by angelfishp on Aug 30, 12 9:49 AM
This is after playing the demo. The graphics are stunning, as they usually are with an ERS game. The music is not too bad and I agree with others, so far the puzzles have been easy. There is a map, which I appreciate. It may not be a map that jumps you from place to place, but at least I know where I am and what I need to do. I know the strategy guide only shows two chapters, but a lot of other games have it that way too. Am I buying the CE at the sale price? You bet I am.

mary102696
Herring
Herring
318 Posts

[Post New]by mary102696 on Aug 30, 12 10:24 AM
I did the demo. I did not like this game. The graphics were great and it filled my win 7 64 bit laptop. However, the bad live acting and the storyline were to me laughable. I hope everyone who does like this game has fun but I personally wouldn't pay $5 for it.

[Post New]by normanlandings on Aug 30, 12 11:36 AM
I must be really stupid, but everyone keeps mentioning the sale price. When I went to buy I got the message that "this code is for first time buyers only" or some such and I was going to be charged the usual CE price. Cancelled my purchase then as I didn't think the game worth the money, although I did like it.

gmac1007
Clownfish
Clownfish
569 Posts

[Post New]by gmac1007 on Aug 30, 12 11:38 AM
Good morning everyone. Holla ! Wake the kids and phone the neighbors ERS does it again ! Hogwart's this school is not because I looked all over for Harry, Hermione, and Ron couldn't find them anywhere I couldn't even find Professor Dumbledoor, or McGonagall, or my favorite grounds keeper Hagrid, however I do think I ran into Snape's girlfriend or maybe it was Lord Voldemort's girlfriend either way she is one nasty witch with an attitude, this one makes Ms. Gulch look like the tooth fairy. You take your daughter to her new school and right off the bat I sensed trouble when I looked at the bus driver I already knew this school was gonna be a big no, no. Once you get to the school the madness begins you are greeted by this witch with an attitude from Hades and she sweeps up your daughter so your left alone to go and find your daughter. You talk to an elderly gentleman who says he's the one that unleashed the witch this is where your journey begins. There is a map that will show you where you are, where there are things that need to be done and areas that aren't open yet but I don't think you can travel by the map, you have your inventory at the bottom of the screen that stores all your goodies that you need. The graphics are absolutely stunning ERS graphics, there are voice overs with real actors which aren't that bad, so far I came across one puzzle which was fun and there is this mystic energy that you gather from paintings touched by magic it is stored in a jar that is kept in your inventory. This seems to be more adventure than anything else no hidden scenes or at least I didn't come across any in the very few minutes that I played the demo because I had to stop and buy this gem. This place seems to be massive and there is a journal that keeps up with your task that you have to do so you can refer to that if you need to plus there is another book that tells the story of the witch as it unfolds. For me this is a definite winner not only because it's ERS but the story is interesting and it's creepy and you have to save your daughter and as we all know a mother's love knows no bounds and the girls name in the game is the same as my daughter's Hannah so how could I refuse that. ERS has done it again gorgeous graphics, great story, great atmosphere and plenty of haunting good fun. Give the demo a try it's worth it. Thank you so much ERS you guys totally ROCK and thank you Big Fish for another amazing adventure.

bella81762
Orca Whale
Orca Whale
24,424 Posts

[Post New]by bella81762 on Aug 30, 12 11:43 AM
normanlandings wrote:I must be really stupid, but everyone keeps mentioning the sale price. When I went to buy I got the message that "this code is for first time buyers only" or some such and I was going to be charged the usual CE price. Cancelled my purchase then as I didn't think the game worth the money, although I did like it.

well there are usually on the home page the code for newbies,,,which is newbie...the code for this game is "GOTHIC"

the main game is nice and long,,,,fun,,i enjoyed it,,,the bonus is typical ERS...bit over a hour and a half......at full ce, i wouldnt buy, but 9.99,, i think its worth it

[Post New]by NancySusan on Aug 30, 12 12:23 PM
I got out of this game after only 14 minutes of the demo, in part because it played pretty poorly on my XP; however, before I exited I did notice that, while there were nice graphics, we had a setting in "southern England" somewhere, where our protagonists arrive at the school in a U.S. style yellow school bus (no, no, no) and the witch speaks with a decided American/Canadian accent. This is yet another of what I've started calling "yet another witch" games (YAWG), about the witch who steals away yet another child, who MUST BE SAVED. No. No buy and no interest. Does ERS and other devs. think that we are all fascinated by children in peril and witches? It's no improvement on YADG (yet another demon game). Really, I'm starting to avoid even looking at these games.

[Post New]by RenaissanceMom on Aug 30, 12 1:15 PM
timbermoon wrote:

I'm sorry, but this is possibly the cheesiest game I have ever played. This developer seems to be going downhill. I have most of their games, but I can't bring myself to buy this one. It looks like a cross between a bad music video from the 80s (I don't know if you all are old enough to remember those ) and an episode of Power Rangers. Ouch.

Things like no working widescreen option or slow hint refills aren't deal-breakers for me...merely annoyances. However, self-impressed and over-acted supernatural dramas are more than I can take. I get the impression that the game developers are scrambling over each other in an attempt to make each new game a little creepier or a little more outrageous than the one before, and, in the process, are leaving things like coherence and credulity far behind.

It also frustrates me that the stories in hidden object games seem to come in three primary flavors - Stolen Child, Car Wreck (with or without amnesia) intros, and Escape the Asylum. Maybe some developer will come up with one that has a woman in a car wreck, suffering from temporary amnesia, who then finds her child has been stolen and reports it, only to be locked up in an asylum because she never had a child. Then we could have a Neapolitan HOG which offers something for everyone.

Okay, sorry for the rant. I am just irritated by what appears to be a discouraging trend in a game genre that I enjoy.
OMG! Best ERS review *ever* and unfortunately I couldn't agree more.
to the game but for your excellent summary.

Edited on 08/30/2012 at 1:16:02 PM PST

[Post New]by RenaissanceMom on Aug 30, 12 1:24 PM
NancySusan wrote:however, before I exited I did notice that, while there were nice graphics, we had a setting in "southern England" somewhere, where our protagonists arrive at the school in a U.S. style yellow school bus (no, no, no) and the witch speaks with a decided American/Canadian accent.
Another gross misstep in this ridiculous game. If you can't get details and accents at least partially right, take it back to the drawing board, please. And enough with the bad voiceovers with mismatched lip synching.

sunnyglow
Clownfish
Clownfish
804 Posts

[Post New]by sunnyglow on Aug 30, 12 2:31 PM
Absolutely loving this game. As a teacher, the "witch" reminded me of a principal I once had. I knew that laugh sounded familiar. Anyway, an automatic purchase for me. My students would love the school and think it ultimately cool - witch and all. ERS if one of my favorite devs and this is a wonderful game. I always enjoy the announcement of the game at the beginning. Rather surreal, I think. Excellent game from an excellent dev. What else can I say? I think it would be fun to teach at that school. But really, how lame could you be not to realize the school had been closed for years? Will put my grading aside and enjoy a few hours playing this. Thanks! I see the people moved from New York to England. Actually, if you are going to school in New York, this school is probably an improvement!

Edited on 08/30/2012 at 2:33:26 PM PST

[Post New]by daisyduck352 on Aug 30, 12 3:08 PM
What a fun game.. Wasn't going to buy anymore games as don't know if I can fill us another card before tomorrow night? But... with the deal, and I was having so much fun, couldn't help myself..The graphics are great as usual and puzzles are easy to understand and so far have been able to solve them. I always enjoy a good witch story and this one doesn't disappoint. Will keep me glued to pc as have a lot more to play. Give this 5 out of 5 stars. Have to say ERS doesn't disappoint and one of my favorite Dev's.. Thanks..

Edited on 08/30/2012 at 3:11:35 PM PST

ediegamer
Lobster
Lobster
89 Posts

[Post New]by ediegamer on Aug 30, 12 4:57 PM
This game is thoroughly enjoyable on all levels. ERS has come through again. Thanks BF and ERS for many pleasurable hours of gaming!!!

Reviews for Gothic Fiction: Dark Saga Collector's Edition

[Post New]by Angelayclo on Aug 30, 12 5:21 PM
I soo.. look forward to each ERS release.. I got most of their past games - but the last few games' disappointing to me. Live characters full of bad actors takes away the beauty of my imagination. Overly done interaction and noises distract my sense of adventure. I hope the developer rethink the new directions that they are heading - certainly this one is not for me!!

dancemom1
Angelfish
Angelfish
1,198 Posts

[Post New]by dancemom1 on Aug 30, 12 5:52 PM
I love ERS games and have them all. The graphics and game play in this one is up to their usual standard...excellent. Not sure about the story line yet, but really liked the voice-overs - very appropriate for each character. Games very simple so far, and I finished the demo with 12 minutes left. Nice SG, didn't use the hint so don't know about that.

Since I am a die-hard HOG player (and some adventure), personally I think this game would have benefited from a few HOGs. Chasing a spirit and putting things together to move on in the game just isn't quite enough. It would have been a definite buy for me then, but not sure right now. Would also like to see how many chapters it has before deciding to purchase as well.

All in all, excellent game. This one goes in my puddle for future thought. Thanks for the reviews.

MagicMark
Seahorse
Seahorse
23 Posts

[Post New]by MagicMark on Aug 30, 12 6:43 PM
Normally I am a big fan of ERS Studios games. Though I'm a bit disappointed with this one. It is similar to their "Azada: In Libro". It is a Hidden Object game without any Hidden Objects, another words, an Adventure.

The puzzles are all very easy and adequate clues are provided where to use objects without the necessity of a hint. There's a juxtaposition where the environments are drawings and the people are video-captured. I'm really exhausted of the evil witch villain that regularly appears on the weekly Thursday Collector's Edition circuit. Though an unsupernatural story may require a little imagination.

Edited on 08/30/2012 at 10:54:36 PM PST

Go to: