joray2
Lobster
Lobster
88 Posts

Re:Reviews for Angelica Weaver: Catch Me When You Can Collector's Edition

[Post New]by joray2 on Sep 6, 12 11:05 AM
Who ever thought of putting that person on the side of the screen while your playing,is nuts! I bought the game without playing it first and I am sorry I did. Everytime you pick somethig up,she nods her head. I think I know I was supposed to pick it up when the cursor changed to a hand. She got on my last nerve real fast!! Not a good idea! Will not even finish game. I will read forum before buying from now on.

OzzyRobyn
Minnow
Minnow
254 Posts

[Post New]by OzzyRobyn on Sep 6, 12 12:02 PM

I really like this game. It's more of an adventure/puzzle game than an H0, so although there are some H0s if that's your thing this game isn't for you. You collect sheriff's badges and dream catchers to get hints, which makes more sense to me than collecting flowers or something for no particular reason. It also gives a widescreen aspect in windowed mode, which is great for those of us with big monitors.

However, I only give it 4 out of 5 because as others have said, the huge Angelica obtrudes too far into the game screen and her nodding is annoying. Apart from that, I recommend this one.

HYDEPARK4
Minnow
Minnow
270 Posts

[Post New]by HYDEPARK4 on Sep 6, 12 12:06 PM
I have to say I like the nodding Angelica-maybe I just need the affirmation!!

RasmusB
Guppy
Guppy
199 Posts

[Post New]by RasmusB on Sep 6, 12 12:37 PM
One of the best games of this sort in a long time. Yes the follow the footprints can be annoying, but actually it suits the game well, as your'e looking for clues to a murder. And the gfx is very nice, so is the sound. A must buy for me!

MagicMark
Seahorse
Seahorse
23 Posts

[Post New]by MagicMark on Sep 6, 12 12:59 PM
What started out to be a good game turned out to be an major exercise in frustration. Yes, it tries to emulate something only Jane Jensen could dream up. But the graphics are way too dark. After the Sudoku puzzle you are tortured with finding the correct trail of footprints in a maze-like mess of other footprints (which are extremely difficult to see). If that is not bad enough, this goes on for several scenes and if you make one mistake you are sent back to the beginning of that area. It's a lot of MUMB0 JUMB0. Then comes the tedious stacking game which is supposed to be a physics puzzle where everything keeps toppling along with your patience. I really wish they would have used the tried and true logic games instead of trying to drive their customers batty! So happy that I did not purchase this one. I would never give the SE a second glance.

Edited on 09/06/2012 at 5:38:03 PM PST

sunnyglow
Clownfish
Clownfish
804 Posts

[Post New]by sunnyglow on Sep 6, 12 1:34 PM
So far an interesting game. Not giving it a "wow" but it is decent if you like mysteries. Only thing I dislike is the girl nodding her head when you find an item. Rather annoying. I always get a little peeved because everyone picks on either Chicago (very familiar with the suburbs of the Cicero - Berwyn area) or New York as crime capitals of the world. Having grown up in the Chicagoland area, it gets annoying to me. However, the area of Cicero is pretty ghetto. But anyway, the graphics are okay. Not terrific but just fair. Not terribly in love with the game. I will probably pass on this one as a CE. Will wait until it becomes an SE. Seems we are having a rash of not-so-spectacular CE's. Hopefully next week will see a better one. Maybe Sunday I hope. This game is a little weird with the dream catchers, the Navajo chick, and the time travel (to London no less). I don't know how you transfer from Chicago to London, but guess it can happen. Very strange.

Edited on 09/06/2012 at 1:41:34 PM PST

[Post New]by daisyduck352 on Sep 6, 12 1:56 PM
Played for 30 min and don't really care for this type of game. Hated Angelica nodding evertime you found something. Real iratating. Didn't like the puzzles and storyline wasn't great. A no buy for me..

Calais30
Minnow
Minnow
281 Posts

[Post New]by Calais30 on Sep 6, 12 4:09 PM
HYDEPARK4 wrote:I have to say I like the nodding Angelica-maybe I just need the affirmation!!

Actually I love her too. I like having a companion as I play.

gamergirl675
Dolphin
Dolphin
6,156 Posts

[Post New]by gamergirl675 on Sep 6, 12 6:05 PM
I love love love that the extras are available upon purchase... way to go devs!!! THANK YOU!!! I'm going to have to buy just because of that alone.

The controls are a bit clunky for me... reminds me of HdO games but not as bad as that. I think it might just be my personal preference... I prefer them to be more integrated into the game rather than distracting from the game. The game storyline caught my interest... love a good murder mystery!

I won't repeat what the other great reviews have said just wanted to mention the extras since that is HUGE for me and I know there are others who look for that as well. I think this is going to be a nice solid game.

I give it 4 stars so far... hope it continues to be as good.

Sherryah
Parrotfish
Parrotfish
479 Posts

[Post New]by Sherryah on Sep 6, 12 8:25 PM
I am so glad I did not let the negative reviews sway me not to try this game. I love it! The voice overs are excellent in my opinion.

The graphics are clear and beautiful. The hidden object screens are few and more adventure interaction which I love.

If I was to fault anything it is the skip is too slow even in casual for the mini games.

The mini games some of them I did not care for so I just skipped them.

I look forward to more murder mysteries from this game developer because the storyline is very interesting with lots of twists and turns. I bought the game and I have loved every minute of it. The woman nodding her head at side bar does not bother me at all, I rather like the affirmation that I have done something right.

Edited on 09/06/2012 at 8:26:35 PM PST

zpw3
Sea Anemone
Sea Anemone
3 Posts

[Post New]by zpw3 on Sep 6, 12 9:14 PM
I really tried to ignore Angelica, but the less attention I paid, the more she annoyed me. As others have said, she's WAY too big, and, really, why is she there at all?

Reference: Syberia. Kate Walker is there, and when she feels emotion in a cutscene, you can choose to share, but otherwise she's not communicating with you. The back-and-forth consciousness of the player, and player-as-Kate, is almost imperceptible.

That's the model to strive for.

Too bad. A fairly original story line (not a witch, nor curse, nor talisman in sight!).

Janeport
Squid
Squid
61 Posts

[Post New]by Janeport on Sep 6, 12 11:31 PM
I dunno, I'll have to see what wife thinks. It's our 26th wedding anniversary today so she can have whatever she wants (just like every other day).

Happy Anniversary and as for having whatever she wants, quite so we women know best after all.

co_ff_ee
Starfish
Starfish
59 Posts

Really bad game

[Post New]by co_ff_ee on Sep 7, 12 3:20 AM
I played it but never did catch on to the motive of the crimes and going from 1888 to present day made no sense to me. I wish I had not bought this game and used that money for a "good" one.

laraly
Parrotfish
Parrotfish
428 Posts

[Post New]by laraly on Sep 7, 12 3:49 AM
I found this game "based on the demo", absolutly stunning! Great graphics, thrilling story, remarkable minigames, good music and voice over, excellent SG and hint system, great art work! I like adventouros investigative themes, and this one, so far, it seems one of the best I have ever played, thanks devlps for the hard and great work you've done to realize this CE, and to BFG!!!

[Post New]by kris_cross48 on Sep 7, 12 4:13 AM
it seems the jury is out for a lot of feloks in here..but I found the game really fun. It was different, certainly ended that way, and I think the bonus section was well done, especially story wise.
After reading the first reviews I expected a pretty obnoxious game, but frankly, I got to like her head nodding in the corner..yea! I got something right! ...was the feeling. I think a map would have been helpful since I tebd to get lost easily..in games and in real life.
But this one is a keeper, I feel like I got my moneys worth and the developers should be congradulated.
kris

nwr1948x
Whale Shark
Whale Shark
15,360 Posts

[Post New]by nwr1948x on Sep 7, 12 5:12 AM
edmee1947 wrote:and ,yes,the woman in right corner is bad idea!too big!

stopped me from buying.

[Post New]by NancySusan on Sep 7, 12 7:25 AM
Well, I rather liked this game, and I've played other games by this developer, which I also liked; however, I'm having technical issues (as I had with some of the others, particularly Haunted Houdini, which I couldn't finish), so I won't buy it. I got about 3/4 of the way through the demo and I liked collecting the various badges, dreamcatchers, bricks, etc., thought the voice over was pretty good (for a change), although, yes, Angelica's figure on the lower right was way too large (1/3 the size would have been fine); I found the SG pretty helpful when I was checking to make sure that I'd found the various objects, and with the solution of one mini-game. All in all, because my technical problems caused me to be kicked out of the game several times (downloaded it twice), so that I missed some of the flow and perhaps didn't play enough of the game to get as good a sense of it as I might, I was still thinking of buying, until the third time being kicked out. At that point I decided not to purchase another game from this developer I might not be able to finish. Sorry. However, if you don't have technical problems, this seems like a nice detective story, and for once, the SG is helpful, because of all the objects you're asked to look for.

Edited on 09/07/2012 at 7:27:34 AM PST

handbells
Squid
Squid
60 Posts

[Post New]by handbells on Sep 8, 12 6:42 AM
I rather liked this game. I was thankfully not distracted by the nodding, and having finished the bonus game, see where it kind of makes sense.

I thought the story was interesting and any problems I had with it are strictly personal.

I also, luckily, did not have any problems with glitches.

I agree some of the mini games were annoying and I just waited and skipped them (the footprints come to mind). I agree with others who have said the hint button was slow to recharge.

Game length was decent and the bonus length was decent as well.

I liked the twist at the end (bonus game). I should have expected it, but I didn't!

florenceo
Seahorse
Seahorse
23 Posts

[Post New]by florenceo on Sep 10, 12 3:43 PM
I enjoyed this game. Hope there will be more like this. At times it was like you were walking the streets

lym_1609
Parrotfish
Parrotfish
431 Posts

[Post New]by lym_1609 on Sep 10, 12 9:03 PM
This is a dark storyline, but characters wise its almost live like. Surrounding is sometimes a bit dark since it follows the storyline, but overall graphics esp live like characters and surrounding is very good

Collector's edition always came through and this did not disappoint. Its easy enough without hints or walkthrough. Stacking mini game was very frustrating coz of control, but otherwise fants

Verdict: 4/5

Worth playing

Go to: