Minnow
Minnow
214 Posts

Re:Reviews for The Dreamatorium of Dr. Magnus

[Post New]by tophen on Sep 9, 12 2:00 PM

Edited on 09/09/2012 at 4:40:03 PM PST

[Post New]by LynHamilton on Sep 9, 12 5:01 PM
I enjoyed the game. Had no technical difficulties at all. Art and graphics were very good - had the music off as I was watching/listening to Rocky Horror while I played. Anyway, I am glad I bought it but I really didn't like the ending. Read the letter and that's it? No reunion, no explanation of how she went missing after the accident.

dancemom1
Angelfish
Angelfish
1,198 Posts

[Post New]by dancemom1 on Sep 9, 12 5:47 PM
What a nice little game. As you can tell, I liked it. Yes, a lot of shoe leather was used, but it was fun. Graphics were nice, game play very nice, music soothing. Good hint system (recharges fairly quickly), but not much help unless there is actually something to do in whatever room you are in. A little different story for a change.

At first, I didn't think I would care for it at all, but once you get into the game, it's very different. It sort of drags you into it. Looks to be a fairly long SE (what a shocker!). We've had so many duds lately, that this one was refreshing.

Needed a litle voice over here and there to keep the story moving. The only thing I didn't like about it was the fact that you could not switch to the system cursor. I don't care for those big, clunky cursors that so many devs want to use. A magic wand would have worked though.

Anyway, I am going to use a game credit on this one. I found it quite enjoyable. Thanks for the reviews.

PurrrThang
Herring
Herring
394 Posts

[Post New]by PurrrThang on Sep 9, 12 6:31 PM
So far I have liked this game. The graphics are great and it's easy to find all the hidden objects after a careful search. This story is so interesting to me that I have to see what happens. I didn't have the sound on as I had a little one nearby that I was hoping would sleep.

I'm putting this on my 'to buy' list. I am really enjoying it and was so pleased when I figured out the last puzzle I did. I actually like this type of hint system. It doesn't lead me by the hand but just gives me a nudge. I still have to go searching for something to do.

I read a few comments where fishies said they couldn't check on achievements after finishing the game. If this is so, I hope the creators will put in a fix since it's fun to try and beat your old score when replaying. Also the kids like to compare scores.

[Post New]by RenaissanceMom on Sep 9, 12 9:23 PM
marg6043 wrote:Dreamatorium of Dr. Magnus, this game gives me dejavu of a movie I have see, I forgot the name, so far just in name my mind connect the two.
You must be thinking of "The Imaginarium of Doctor Parnassus". I know I am!

Odd little game but definitely too easy. I completed the demo and I'm still not sure whether I like it or not. Hmm, I'm going to wait on this.

Edited on 09/09/2012 at 9:24:11 PM PST

VTCT
Clownfish
Clownfish
591 Posts

[Post New]by VTCT on Sep 10, 12 12:41 PM
Great game wish there more like this then 3 Match or Build a smoething. I only come to this game site rarely now.

lym_1609
Parrotfish
Parrotfish
431 Posts

[Post New]by lym_1609 on Sep 10, 12 9:18 PM
Another great game, at least this is does not have a dark scary storyline, just a mysterious one, with the disappearance of Dr Magnus and death of his children.

The hint charges quite slowly, and I was stuck after I found the code to the safe. I tried hint but the system did not show me that I had to go to the candy shop to use the code to open the safe. Quite frustrating on this, other that this, it was quite good and smooth cursor control

The making of the dream potion was a big joke. Recipe calls for a pinch of some kinda of dream whatever. But all I did was add the 2 ingredient (cranberry juice and goose berries) into a pot of water. The recipe had 4 ingredients, and only 2 is "valid"

Other than this bit of silly illogical way of handling the game, I love it

Jurinne
Clownfish
Clownfish
606 Posts

[Post New]by Jurinne on Sep 11, 12 11:46 AM
(Based on part of the demo): I am really hoping that this game is as good as it seems to be because it took almost two minutes to download the demo and almost as soon as that was downloaded it started downloading again. When i exited the game I was thrown off Big Fish, tried to get back, waited for what seemed like an awful long time and finally clicked on the game again. I was told that the game was still operating (where - the Twilight Zone?).

Then I couldn't get to the forum. Obviously I finally made it here and have now received a warning that my computer is using a lot of energy. I can tell because the monitor is warm to the touch.

OK, assuming all that is something I don't need to worry about (I stopped playing to read the reviews although I had pretty much made up my mind to purchase the game and I always start over when I play for real):

So far this appears to be a great game, especially for a SE. The HINT BUTTON does not take long at all to recharge, although there is a cursor dance as a penalty. You can bypass the penalty by clicking a bit more slowly. A quickly-recharging HINT BUTTON is something I always look for and appreciate.

The story is interesting, although repeated in other games. The graphics are fair. I don't even remember any music so it must not be intrusive if it even exists.

I love collecting items in order to receive awards! That is something I have always enjoyed but see it mostly in CEs. It's nice to see it here in a SE. Thank you, devs!

I like it. I think I will enjoy playing it. Thank you devs (again) and BF!

Based on my short play, I give this game four out of five kitties (subject to change):

Happy gaming, fellow fishies!

ADDENDUM: After reading the thread on technical problems I have decided to place this game on my "To Buy" list with a note to check to see if these problems have been corrected. I will not buy a game with so many problems.

Edited on 09/11/2012 at 11:52:49 AM PST

[Post New]by quarlesqueen on Sep 11, 12 3:08 PM
I just finished playing this pretty cool, but a bit strange at times, Fun little game.
I am always up for the challenge, for a game that is a bit unique, and that is what this one has to offer, although it has it's good points, and a few bad ( strange) points .

I didn't have any technical issues at all, although it took a L-O-N-G time, loading inbetween scenes, maybe on future games, this could be fixed .

As far as game play itself, I loved it, made you think at times, at least in one spot for each chapter, you needed to put your thinking cap on.
I thought the graphics and artwork were well done, very colorful, especially the food H0 scene, which I love to eat, so it looked very YUMMY.
The developers, whoever they are, did make this something different, which I give kudo's, for, just LOVED the different chapters and storyline.
I did see a movie that reminded of this, but it was a toy store, that was magical, forgot the name, but enjoyed the movie.
I always enjoy making potions of any kind, so this game had a lot of the fantasy aspect's that I like in a game.

Everything was going great until the end, the ending needed some drama, SOMETHING, not going to spoil it for others, but was disapointed in the way the developers ended the game, so FLAT and no excitement at all, nothing really, just ended.
Than on top of that, when it does end, it takes you back to the main menue, your previous profile name is gone and there is a box to add a new profile..WHAT?
There is NO way to check the achivements you've earned, or missed, for that matter, and you can't see how many eye's, you did collect .

That is why I said the game has some strange points also, NEVER, in all of the games I own, did I have any that wouldn't let you see the achivements you have earned, or missed, and the way it ended, just VERY disapointing to an otherwise, pretty decent SE game.
Maybe the developers could explain this, they haven't thus far so very doubtful, I just don't understand?

Ridnhi
Guppy
Guppy
115 Posts

[Post New]by Ridnhi on Sep 13, 12 2:54 PM
I just finished the game. I agree with much of what has been said: Different, relaxing, no dark or bloody scenes to deal with. All in all I am very glad I bought the game and took my time in playing. Will plan to play again since the H0 will be a little different. Thanks Developers for a fun, pleasurable, interesting game. Will look forward to more from your company. dt

admiral1133
Minnow
Minnow
228 Posts

[Post New]by admiral1133 on Sep 13, 12 6:01 PM
Was a very short game. I did not have any technical issues, but the HOGs were very small and sometimes extremely hidden behind other things. I would not purchase this game, had I known how short it was. And the ending was so abrupt, I didn't even realize I had finished the game.

[Post New]by feenix2011 on Sep 15, 12 1:15 PM
Just finished the game and my first comment is "Boy what a dumb "detective"(?) and I use that word very loosely!!! This girl has to be the poorest excuse for an investigator I have ever seen!! I can't say why without ruining the game for anyone who hasn't played it yet and I don't know how to do that "spoiler" thing. If someone could PM me about that, I would be grateful. The game was easy, easy mini-games which there were few. The HOS were aggravating, as some of the objects were Superman related (needed XRAY vision). I thought it was a pretty O.K. game, other than the dumb heroine!!

feenix

lvfao
Parrotfish
Parrotfish
499 Posts

[Post New]by lvfao on Sep 17, 12 9:09 PM
not a really long or difficult game, but enjoyable nonetheless. beautiful graphics....look forward to see more from these devs

[Post New]by greeneyes488 on Sep 18, 12 3:32 AM
HAS THERE BEEN A FIX FOR THIS GAME YET/ID LOVE TO FINISH IT..AND HOW WILL I KNOW ITS FIXED/

Hatlady
Seahorse
Seahorse
35 Posts

[Post New]by Hatlady on Sep 19, 12 11:02 AM
I played the demo and liked it very much so purchased the full game. I guess I need to learn how to lighten my monitor so I can see some of the HOG items I am searching for, I found it too dark to see some items. I am annoyed that once a chapter is completed one cannot go back to those scenes to look for the Eye Of Horus if I missed it - would have liked more freedom to roam back and forth if I wanted to or felt the need. And I played the demo and started the game under one player name, got to chapter 2 and wanted to go back to chap 1 but couldn't so started game over under a different player name - finished the game under that "handle" and when I got to the end and saw the ending that player disappeared from my player list before I had a chance to look at my Achievement display - made me a bit sad - I liked this game very much, would suggest to the dev's they allow more freedom of movement from 1 scene location to another and keep (save) a players' game after it is finished. Maybe I would have had better luck finding items if they had been a bit larger, especially outside the HOG items needed. The puzzles varied from being very easy to stumping me into "SKIP"ping so there should be enough variety to please most everyone. Wonder if there are to be "sequels" to this one with the character solving other mysteries - it seems that door was left cracked open a bit.

BIGFISHGK
Starfish
Starfish
46 Posts

[Post New]by BIGFISHGK on Sep 27, 12 6:11 AM
This game was OK, but not great. I found that if you didn't do some things in a certain order, you couldn't proceed. It wasn't a very self explanatory game, so I had to use the walk through a lot. I also found the HOS too dark and ambiguous. There wasn't enough music for me. I bought it "sight unseen" as an extra special when I purchased another game. Probably won't do that again.

virago620
Jellyfish
Jellyfish
17 Posts

[Post New]by virago620 on Oct 8, 12 12:51 PM
I really enjoyed this! It's got a nice combo of challenge -- like, don't walk past that broom handle -- and easier than usual puzzles. I had no problem with the hidden objects -- and they were so unusual!

The storyline is great -- again, unusual. And it's a nice break from the creepy-bad-man-with-creepy-clowns-in an asylum sort of thing. I'm all for gothic and ghosty, but this was intriguing without being too scary.

I agree that the scenes took a longer time to load than usual, but once I saw them it seemed to me that it made sense -- they were so different from each other. I am sure there are programmers/developers out there rolling their eyes at me but my reasoning made sense to me at the time. And the ending was flat -- more detail and/or a continuing story would be awesome.

I also thought this game would be a good intro to hidden-object games for someone who hasn't played them before. Or, maybe for someone moving from kiddie-I-Spy. Gets the basics down, teaches you to look at everything, puzzles can be solved. And no clowns.

And the picture of Tesla? ABSOLUTELY AWESOME.

[Post New]by RowanGolightly on Oct 8, 12 3:41 PM
I've waited until I finished this to review it. It has a lovely premise and nice storyline, the graphics are lovely and the HOGs not to dark nor the objects to tiny (for middle-aged eyes to find.) The music is nice and not irritating; nice that it isn't continuous all the time.

It does take an awfully long time to load each time one plays but I got used to it and did other things while it loaded. I do have to say that for a budding detective, the gal is pretty dim about figuring out who the Dr. is but ah well, that is a quibble.

Another quibble is an artistic one; as a costumer and seamstress as well as an artist; the image of Dr. Magnus really makes me scratch my head. Is he wearing two shirts (since there are two white collars) or is he wearing a lab coat. And if he's wearing a lab coat, why the heck is he wearing it under his vest and jacket? Just poor costume artisanship, in my opinion, that makes the costumer designer scratch her head.

The 'reward' system for finishing things within a time limit or without using clues is cool but runs by too quickly to read and then doesn't really do anything. Wish they could be viewed as it seems a nifty idea. The eyes of Horus are quite difficult to find in some places.

Not too hard, not frustrating and very engaging.

care___916
Clownfish
Clownfish
988 Posts

[Post New]by care___916 on Oct 28, 12 6:17 PM
I liked this game and as far as I got in the demo liked the storyline. Graphics were very nice and clear. I couldnt even finish the demo, the loading of the screens drove me nutzzz.

I would not have hesitate to purchase this if the downloading was at least a little faster between scenes.

Happy gaming

[Post New]by JustTheFacts on Jun 6, 13 8:11 AM
Somewhat Childish

GAME COMPLETED ONCE

I have now tried 3 times to get into this game and it just doesn’t work. At first, I thought it would be pretty cool. It has COLLECTIBLES & ACHIEVEMENTS. And the GRAPHICS aren’t too too bad – they are bright, and the items are big, so even though the graphics overall are FUZZY, at least on my large monitor, I could overlook that.

Admittedly, I usually enjoy music in a game, but here the MUSIC is seriously ANNOYING, and I had to turn it down. But that’s not enough to reject a game.

And I prefer games that are HOS HEAVY, so the ALMOST TOTAL LACK of PUZZLES was not a deterrent.

I think I finally put my finger on the problem when I realised that it read like a children’s book, even though the story is not necessarily a children’s one. It’s not overly ‘cute’ and there are no fairies, big bad wolves or blind mice in it. But I did make it to the end of the game this time, and it was very CLEARLY AIMED AT CHILDREN.

Also, there are a lot of black bar comments in this one, and they were of the ‘well done you’ve found the treasure!’ and ‘oh! What will she find next?’ kind. And the story instalments are each small and simple. And often, repeated.

The gameplay would have been okay for a HO game that was light on puzzles, but the adventure component was maddening. There was almost no way to guess which would be the right place to go next.

And after you have been to a location, got the UNHELPFUL ‘there is nothing to do here’ HINT response, and moved on, the next time you go there, there’s the item you need lying on the ground. On the other hand, the inventory bar would get so filled up sometimes, that that might have been worse. Very annoying.

A lot of random clicking was the only way to get through the game – and of course there was a penalty for that! (Ok, that’s only in the HOS)

The thing is, all these things wouldn’t have fazed the average kid at all. So if that was their target audience, they’ve actually done a good job.

And so it is to them that I say...

I recommend this game!

Go to: