Mr_Russ
Whale Shark
Whale Shark
16,662 Posts

Re:Post any Sherlock Holmes VS Jack the Ripper technical issues here only

[Post New]by Mr_Russ on Sep 12, 12 6:03 AM
lindamarie324 wrote:After the game ??? I did install what it asked before the game
Sorry for not being clear. The game install is the first 99% and the PhysX install is the last 1%.

[Post New]by lindamarie324 on Sep 12, 12 6:15 AM
No problem ...thank you for your help . Although I would love to have this game (I have all the others) It just is not worth all the trouble ... there have been two games I have had trouble with in big fish in the last week ...Guess I just can not play them . Again thank you for your help. By the way my computer is a year old . (not outdated or anything )

bfgBaikal
Marlin
Marlin
8,624 Posts

[Post New]by bfgBaikal on Sep 12, 12 6:24 AM
Hi lindamarie324,

As you mentioned that your computer is only a year old and you have been having trouble with not just this game, we would be happy to look at things with you to see if we can't resolve this for you!

If you have the time, please run a Dr. Felix report and then send that over to our Tech Support team as bfgBiwa suggested.

We would be glad to provide the type of indepth support we are unable to provide via the Forums and it may be that a slight adjustment is all that's needed.

Thanks!

bfgBaikal

Edited on 09/12/2012 at 6:25:05 AM PST

deejae101
Guppy
Guppy
147 Posts

[Post New]by deejae101 on Sep 12, 12 7:21 AM
I installed as directed including the NVIDIA player, then restarted my computer as asked, but when I tried to play it said my trial was already expired.

Mr_Russ
Whale Shark
Whale Shark
16,662 Posts

[Post New]by Mr_Russ on Sep 12, 12 7:43 AM
deejae101 wrote:I installed as directed including the NVIDIA player, then restarted my computer as asked, but when I tried to play it said my trial was already expired.
You don't seem to be alone. See the "Expired???" thread at the bottom of the forum for advice.

Edited on 09/12/2012 at 7:44:04 AM PST

bfgCimarron
Dogfish
Dogfish
1,902 Posts

[Post New]by bfgCimarron on Sep 12, 12 9:10 AM
Hi deejae101,

I'm sorry to hear that your trial expired. When this happens we've found that uninstalling and reinstalling the trial can often clear it up. If you click the blue text it will take you to more information on how to do that.

However, if your game is still giving you trouble after trying that, please don't hesitate to get in contact with our Customer Support Team and one of our reps will be happy to take a closer look into this with you. For more information on how to get in contact with them, just click this link below:

How to get in contact with Customer Support

I hope this helps!

bfgCimarron

Access Violation and lockup issues - fixed mine

[Post New]by themouse020 on Sep 12, 12 10:08 AM
I had the same problems reported by several. The game locked up at the opening building sketch, and when I closed it via task manager, it reported an access violation. I did two things: ran game as administrator, and changed the video settings within the game's option menu to less challenging ones (ie no 1080p, less graphic goodies, etc.). I don't know which change worked, but the game now plays. I have a 4g video card, I7 processor, 64bit Windows 7, etc... - plenty of power, but this game consumes MAJOR resources. I got a warning from Windows about my desktop transparency settings as well, which makes me think that resetting the desktop to less challenging video will also help those in need. This is not your normal casual game. The developer has been working on it a long time, and it works more like the adventure games (think Myst). We used to think nothing of having to change a bunch of settings to make these older games work - seems this one may require the same attention to detail, depending on how capable your workstation is. Wouldn't hurt to have a more accurate assessment of the resources required on the main page for the game. This is gonna be a fun one for tech support.....

VTCT
Clownfish
Clownfish
591 Posts

[Post New]by VTCT on Sep 12, 12 4:17 PM
I tried download 3 diferent times - all them said the samething - that a probem with download and too try to reload. When you people get around maybe I will come back for now so long off another site where I never have any problems.

bri_rose1978
Minnow
Minnow
215 Posts

[Post New]by bri_rose1978 on Sep 12, 12 4:28 PM
I actually bought this game via a software disc some time ago and couldn't play it because the graphics were so messed up; everything looked like bits and pieces of them were chopped out and I could see through things, including people. When I saw it here, I hoped those issues would have been dealt with (I assumed that the problem was due to the game originally being made for a less powerful computer than my system) and bought and installed it; same problems. I accepted all the downloads and restarted and everything; I'm not sure why the graphics are giving me such fits. I'd appreciate any insight anyone has into fixing this, as I love Sherlock Holmes games and try to play every one I can.

barbee44
Clownfish
Clownfish
667 Posts

[Post New]by barbee44 on Sep 12, 12 5:57 PM
This game is a PASS for me. It took forever to download and I have the turbo Internet speed. Then I went to play it and it said my demo was over. I deleted it. I will not try again. It shouldn't take longer than 10 min. to download at my speed. My download speed is 24.13 mbps.

And why would it say my demo is over? I never played it or even opened it.

sandhan
Clownfish
Clownfish
919 Posts

[Post New]by sandhan on Sep 12, 12 8:38 PM

After numerous confugalties, including various strange installations and restarting my computer at least twice, I was able to load the game, or so I thought. It showed me a building sketch and froze. After experiencing this a second time, I decided the game is not worth further risk to nerves and blood pressure. Too bad, I love Sherlock.

bfgBaikal
Marlin
Marlin
8,624 Posts

[Post New]by bfgBaikal on Sep 13, 12 3:07 AM
Hi Fishies,

I can see that you have all tried the advice we have offered already and I am sorry that this has not helped with the issues you are facing.

We do appreciate you being willing to try our suggestions though so thank you.

When a trial shows up as expired, the best thing to do is to uninstall and reinstall the game.

For other issues, I would encourage you to work with Tech Support so they can offer some more dedicated support.

These issues could be caused by the type of machine you are using so if you do contact support, it would be most helpful to include a Dr. Felix report. That will help us to make accurate suggestions from the outset that should hopefully make your computer and game more compatible with one another.

Best of luck!

bfgBaikal

Edited on 09/13/2012 at 3:08:45 AM PST

tinaccarroll
Guppy
Guppy
134 Posts

[Post New]by tinaccarroll on Sep 13, 12 7:02 AM
i downloaded trial and couldnt even try it it said trial expired and i didnt even play it yet. so sad. so i uninstalled it. sorry. gave up. too many problems with most of the games these days. will replay another game.

Mr_Russ
Whale Shark
Whale Shark
16,662 Posts

[Post New]by Mr_Russ on Sep 13, 12 7:37 AM
tinaccarroll wrote:i downloaded trial and couldnt even try it it said trial expired and i didnt even play it yet. so sad. so i uninstalled it. sorry. gave up. too many problems with most of the games these days. will replay another game.
Did you reboot your pc after you installed the game (and before you tried it)?

Jurinne
Clownfish
Clownfish
606 Posts

[Post New]by Jurinne on Sep 13, 12 7:34 PM
I can't play it at all. I don't know if it downloaded. I don't know what's going on.

Here is part of the error message I received:

"Cannot find import; file may be missing....error 126" (sorry; I had no paper or pencil handy).

Is this game even safe? Should I just delete it and forget it? Based on what I have read in this thread I think I should stay as far away from this game as possible.

I've noticed that with some games in the last week or so (not this game) I have received requests to authorize installations of software I have never even heard of. When I click on "cancel" I get a message saying the installation is already complete. Say what?

Edited on 09/13/2012 at 7:39:01 PM PST

Mr_Russ
Whale Shark
Whale Shark
16,662 Posts

[Post New]by Mr_Russ on Sep 14, 12 3:26 AM
The installation is in two parts, the game and PhysX. You will be prompted for DirectX 9 usually. By saying no to PhysX the installation (of the game) is complete.

You do need PhysX.

bfgBaikal
Marlin
Marlin
8,624 Posts

[Post New]by bfgBaikal on Sep 14, 12 3:38 AM
Hi Jurinne,

This game requires the installation of another program to function correctly and as the 126 error is indicative of the download missing an essential element, it seems like you may have missed the prompt to install the extra add on.

If you uninstall and reinstall the game and watch out for an accept that prompt, you should have more success.

tinaccarroll - I would recomend rebooting your PC and trying the game again as Mr_Russ kindly suggested, as this will activate the add on you installed that helps run the game.

If you are still having trouble though, you could try to update some of the elements that run this game as the computer having trouble loading a game is another reason that trial expired message will appear.

Game Crashing, Freezing, or Blank Screen

Of course, if either of you would like us to have a look into your issue for you, we are happy to!

Please contact Tech Support for further assistance by clicking on the green to the right of the page.

Thanks!

bfgBaikal

lilTweet7
Herring
Herring
333 Posts

[Post New]by lilTweet7 on Sep 14, 12 8:40 AM
Unfortunate, as I like all the Sherlock Holmes games, but like many others, was not able to install it. Tried several times. Each attempt at installing took forever, and after it said it was installed (so I thought), it would not start. I followed all the directions for installing the nvidia, physX, etc., and rebooted my computer, but still nothing. Game does not appear in the game manager at all. It shows up listed in 'program' files, but that is it. Nothing happens when I click on the game icon.

I had one scary thing happen after I installed the game... upon reboot (as the installation states would need to occur) my computer would not even start. My computer is fairly new, with all updated drivers, so I started to panic. But after a few minutes, my computer did finally start up, and I quickly deleted the game from my program files.

I could contact tech support, etc. as suggested, but personally, the game is not worth the time or effort. Just not that important. Just a game, and I'm glad I did not purchase it.

Edited on 09/14/2012 at 8:43:49 AM PST

Mr_Russ
Whale Shark
Whale Shark
16,662 Posts

[Post New]by Mr_Russ on Sep 14, 12 9:10 AM
lilTweet, do you have Windows 7? If so, are you trying to install to a protected directory? (I once had a problem with ND Legend of the Crystal Skull because I'd installed to D:\Program Files and it would only play from C:\Program Files).

barbee44
Clownfish
Clownfish
667 Posts

[Post New]by barbee44 on Sep 14, 12 10:09 AM
I finally downloaded it again. I passed the Nvidia correction and the game plays well.
My only problem now is that I'm walking all over London and can't find a thing... all the streets look alike and it's very confusing. I haven't decided if I'll buy it or not.

Edit: Just decided I will not purchase this game. I went back in to play my last 15 min. and it didn't save where I left off. No way am I going through all those streets and stuff again. I'm so used to games saving automatically I just clicked exit and left. They really should warn you. If the game people care so little for us as to now give directions and warnings, they don't get my sale.

Edited on 09/14/2012 at 10:15:45 AM PST

Go to: