Cobweb55
Minnow
Minnow
256 Posts

Re:Reviews for The Agency of Anomalies: The Last Performance Collector's Edition

[Post New]by Cobweb55 on Sep 15, 12 1:58 PM
Might have been my mood last night and today, but this game was a chore to play. Graphics were outstanding, but the widescreen did not work for me, which is unusual, and nothing I did fixed it. Didn't really notice after a while. But what I did notice is that the HO scenes were the most convoluted piles of compacted junk of any game I've ever played!! Just not feelin' it this time. Mini games were half and half do-able VS impossible. I'll shelve this one and play it again in a few months... maybe I just had and off weekend....

Tiger2010
Whale Shark
Whale Shark
16,624 Posts

Re:Reviews for The Agency of Anomalies: The Last Performance Collector's Edition

[Post New]by Tiger2010 on Sep 16, 12 4:51 AM
The Agency of Anomalies games have everything that I like; the right balance of puzzle, adventure and H0S with wonderful graphics.

H0S scenes are, once again, nicely divided between the usual list and interaction, silhouette and 'put the item in the appropriate place'. This makes for variety that doesn't have your eyes glaze over with repeated junk pile lists to find.

There are 31 collectible records to look out for and awards to win. And there's also humour. The music plays along nicely and the running backwards and forwards isn't excessive.

I always feel that I get my money's worth with these games and this one kept me entertained for hours.

I'd happily recommend this one. In fact, right now it's my favourite since Royal Detective.

elldee2728
Shark
Shark
14,378 Posts

[Post New]by elldee2728 on Sep 16, 12 9:12 PM
Other astute reviewers have done fine jobs of describing this game, but I'd like to put my own spin on the experience.

Orneon has provided some good games recently--the "Agency of Anomalies" series. This one doesn't disappoint. I won't go into the storyline, because some Fishies have done that. It is unique, though, and pretty imaginative--five theater performers have been transformed/possessed, and we need to find their powers and return them to normal. I played in the Easy mode, and that's still a challenge if you don't use too many hints or skips. The hint system is available outside of the H0 scenes--it provides a direction to go, and highlights a particular inventory item with the place to use it (but don't do that--it spoils some of the gameplay). Some of the mini-games/puzzles are quite tough, but the skip button re-ups in about a minute.

Voice acting for the characters is really well-done; dialogues are to-the-point, not overly wordy. Some of the musical background is a bit too dramatic/suspenseful--I turned the speakers down during those sessions. The H0 scenes are interactive, and of three different kinds--list, silhouette, and replace items. Good variety. The graphics are sharp and colorful, from a multitude of theater scenes to a forest to a cottage with a water-wheel to a laboratory, and more. Some of the inventory items, though, made me scratch my head as far as "where do I use this?"

Find 31 vinyl-disc records throughout (they're tough to spot), and H0 and puzzle achievements are part of the game. There is a journal, but no map--bring several pairs of shoes--lots of backtracking. (Guess we're getting spoiled by interactive maps lately!).

This is somewhat of a spell-binding game, if you don't mind trekking about and trying your hand at some rather challenging mini-games/puzzles. I'd give it the "tops" if it had a map and a bit more intuitive inventory gameplay. Four s.

Regards, elldee

lisablue4369
Flounder
Flounder
2,105 Posts

[Post New]by lisablue4369 on Sep 19, 12 7:25 AM
we own the games to this series and this game is GREAT wonder if the story continues, we reccommend this game to all HOS game lovers.-------doug & lisa

Leanda1
Clownfish
Clownfish
513 Posts

[Post New]by Leanda1 on Sep 20, 12 10:02 PM
I don't know exactly what it is about these games but they just don't grab my attention. At least not like the Dark Parables games do. Is it that they are too easy? The graphics are definitely good but there is just something...... sorry, not a buy for me unless it is a DD not even the regular game for $6.99 just boring! JMHO (just my humble opinion) and I know it is not the popular one!

Lean

bessiegirl
Clownfish
Clownfish
738 Posts

[Post New]by bessiegirl on Sep 21, 12 9:40 AM
Hmmmm...interesting game. Good thing the HINT and SKIP buttons recharge so quickly...HOS are unique in that you have several different games and that makes it interesting. Nothing real hard but because of the variety, they are not boring and are fun to do. I probably skipped all the mini games...some I didn't because they were fun and quick...others more difficult or tedious and I just got bored...instructions were not all that helpful sometimes.

Rarely checked with the journal, but it did help if I missed a clue along the way or got really stuck. Never used the strategy guide. The HINT button moves you through the game, however you better have your "click" finger warmed up as the game is all over the place.

Music was OK. There was no map which would have been really nice to have. I never did collect all the records and could never figure out what I was collecting them for anyway. Every once in a while I would get an an award...couldn't figure that one out either. There was so much going on, that sometimes you forgot you were actually in a story. Didn't appear to be any penalties for skipping games or rapid clicking.

As far as the bonus game, I quit after a few minutes...got boring and again, a lot of moving around just to acquire a part of an inventory item...maybe I'll go back to it later. I guess I would give this game a 3.5+ ...Didn't really do a lot for me, not a real gripper, but the graphics were excellent.

CoolGrammy1
Minnow
Minnow
257 Posts

[Post New]by CoolGrammy1 on Sep 25, 12 7:56 AM
I really enjoyed the demo and it is a must buy but as an SE....I don't use all the "extras" and find that most of the time the bonus game is a disappointment or an after thought.

[Post New]by ewjngeorge on Sep 28, 12 11:30 PM
I loved this game, especially because the skip was quicker to charge and filling the black holes and connecting the negative and positive particles were tedious and outright annoying (to me). Also, the bonus gameplay was boring.

Ali2106
Seahorse
Seahorse
23 Posts

[Post New]by Ali2106 on Sep 29, 12 11:36 PM
Wow! What a fantastic game! The creators must be proud of this one - I haven't played such a well thought out HO game for a while now. It had a great mixture of puzzle and adventure and I didn't fly straight through it like I usually do with HO games, this one took me quite a while to finish it.

I'll definitely be playing it again

Ali

gingergal
Manatee
Manatee
3,873 Posts

[Post New]by gingergal on Oct 2, 12 1:49 AM
Very good, stand alone game in this series, I enjoyed the first one but didn’t like the second one.
The plot is the weakest part but it was enjoyable how it was done. People from a theatre have these strange abilities and the owner is missing. While you are looking for the owner you can take the strange abilities of the people you meet, kept in the form of a crystal ball and use it on items. But because of the whimsy of the characters that kept it different and engaging along with some very good puzzles and nice graphics.

I nearly didn’t buy this game due to the first 10 mins of frankly seen it all before gameplay, but thanks to a sale I bought it and enjoyed it! Thanks for giving us some useful extras, to make this a CE with all the bells and whistles.

There is a lot of backtracking and again I wish Orneon would bring us the transporter map.
I played the hardest of three settings – no skip or hint button and no information button on puzzles. But you do get black bar tips and there is no random click penalty on HOS.
I give the following numbers on HOS and puzzles, so you can decide and deduce if this game is for you. I try my best with recording them but I might be out by one or two.

23 HOS (hidden object scenes)

There are three different kinds of HOS; list, silhouette and reverse (put items back into a scene). Most were mildly interactive, no random click penalty, some tiny items, most were quite clear.

11 original scenes, each one is repeated and one you have to play three times.
3 original silhouette
5 original list
3 original reverse

to be continued

gingergal
Manatee
Manatee
3,873 Posts

[Post New]by gingergal on Oct 2, 12 1:50 AM
continued

31 PUZZLES

14 different mini-games
17 crystal ball type (5 original)

I really enjoyed the puzzles in the game, not so much the crystal ball ones as these were repeated not only in main game but the bonus as well. There were a couple of hard ones – one very nearly blind jigsaw (2nd one) and the maths took me a while.
Spoilers ahead as to type of puzzles (I am useless at describing puzzles, but if you can decipher lol) click and drag to highlight to read.

The crystal ball ones were: *3D rotate the picture, click on opposite icons to make a path (positive and negative), astro – move cloud to change the path, colour in area (fill up a shape with a spray bottle), link atoms together – ends have to go in opposite end (cup or rod).*

Mini-games

*Simple click on one tile others will rotate to make a picture
Fuse – pipe type puzzle (swap different shapes to get a path)
Pipe type combined with lines of light
Quick paint a mask
Numbered lines – match the numbers to how many lines are connected to them variation
Swap tiles to make 3 in a row
Arithmetic (the math isn’t hard but not repeating numbers took a while)
2 nearly blind Jigsaws – (just a couple of outlines then rest is blank)
Click on correct line to make a path to get to the light
Move an object to get the light to connect to all the others
Paper doll puzzle
Move ball on path with obstacles to get the lights by using pre-programmed arrows
Jigsawesque– click on one to get others move

BONUS PLAY
(slight spoiler for general plot line)
The ending to the main game was 100% tied up. The story really consisted of two cutscenes, beginning and the end of bonus. *Were unknown baddies came out of nowhere (not in main game) and you try and find evidence for police (2nd cutscene).*It was a supplement.

Setting was mostly in old area of main game (about 60/40?) and one HOS was from main game. Wasn’t really loving gameplay but it did take me 1hr 45mins (no hints no skipping) but puzzles were just OK and you had to repeat them as well as playing all the crystal ball ones as well.

Numbers are in addition to main game.

10 HOS in total – Most were silhouette type, repeat them all.
16 puzzles –

to be continued

gingergal
Manatee
Manatee
3,873 Posts

[Post New]by gingergal on Oct 2, 12 1:51 AM
continued

click and drag to highlight to read the types of puzzles in the bonus game

*[b]5 crystal ball puzzles
1 stack largest to smallest on the right pole
3 match pair
2 rotate circles to get colours to match up to each other
3 rotate circle (squares) (didn’t like this one)
2 swap tiles mosaic one (exactly the same pattern[/b])

(although technically some were repeated it was like the multi-step ones in the main game they just separated it out)

EXTRAS

Achievements
31 Collectables – records (this could be in the SE as it wasn’t under the ‘extras’ in the game)
6 puzzles unlocked
29 concept art
SG
Bonus gameplay

TIME main game (5-6hrs) (on hardest setting - so no hints, skipping puzzles and I got all but one collectable) I say this so you can judge your own speed from it.

Bonus another 1hr 45mins (no skipping, no hints)

I got this in a sale so it was a bargain and have no problem recommending the CE due to all the extras and the length of bonus gameplay although I do wish the attention that was put in the main game was in the bonus and didn't repeat so many puzzles or HOS or old areas.

(I do out of 5 not love or like etc)

Edited on 10/02/2012 at 1:16:41 PM PST

babbydoll1201
Minnow
Minnow
281 Posts

[Post New]by babbydoll1201 on Oct 3, 12 7:27 PM
Decent game. I did enjoy the first one more but the length was good. I playd in hard mode & it was not too hard. Good luck to all ...

Kashmiraka
Squid
Squid
61 Posts

[Post New]by Kashmiraka on Oct 4, 12 9:11 AM
I loved the main game but I wish I would have waited for the SE, I did not like bonus game play at all! It was in a word, boring, boring puzzles, the rotating kind I absolutely hate which you have to do 3 different times, yuck, used the strategy guide for those just to get it over with, some dumb matching game, super easy, just match the pictures. The main game was fantastic though. I want to play the new Dark Parables but am waiting for the SE because I am not going to pay double for tacked on bonus play that isn't even fun, which more often then not I found to be the case in CE's.

lvbrule
Lobster
Lobster
80 Posts

[Post New]by lvbrule on Oct 4, 12 9:16 PM
Well, I've been away from games for several months now due to a very family busy time, and I got this one with the Oreon special. I play in expert mode and I'm really pleased with this one. I love the vast number of varied puzzles, HOs and the length. The graphics are wonderful and I personally enjoy a good voice over. I must confess, I gave some of the puzzles my best shot and finally used the strategy guide. This is a long game and the storyline is fun. The bonus is one of the best I've played for a long time and it has great length to it....so worth the CE imho. I will play this one again from time to time and I do recommend it.

bluesinew
Minnow
Minnow
231 Posts

Great Game

[Post New]by bluesinew on Oct 28, 12 5:10 PM
One of the best I have played this year. Graphic, games, storyline, length ... all great and worth the CE price.

rdekker1
Guppy
Guppy
104 Posts

[Post New]by rdekker1 on Nov 8, 12 9:38 PM
When I played the demo of this game I liked it. SO I bought the game. But after awile i just wanted the game to be over. Some of the things you had to do over and over again was a little annoying. And the bonus chapter had way to many puzzles and Ho scenes. I had to do some puzzles 2 or 3 times to get different objects. not fun if you don't like the particular puzzle to begin with. It was an ok game but not my favorite.

num1mxmom
Seahorse
Seahorse
38 Posts

[Post New]by num1mxmom on Nov 25, 12 9:01 PM
This game was alright for me. The bonus chapter was more exciting then the whole game. It took me awhile to complete it, just wasnt into as I was in the beginning.

The games were hard to grasp & boring. Kept using the skip button just to get through the game

GAME COMPLETED TWICE

[Post New]by JustTheFacts on Feb 16, 13 7:26 AM
GAME COMPLETED TWICE

Oh Brother, What A Ride!

Story: It’s your 3rd and most difficult case with the Agency of Anomalies, Take on the task of exposing a secret brotherhood called The Seekers and save the performers of the theatre who became the brotherhood's victims. As an agent of The Agency of Anomalies, help the performers restore their human form, return their paranormal powers and find out what happened to the theatre’s founder.

Developer: *****
Release Date: Sep 2012
Extras: Cut Scene Replays, Achievements, Collectibles
! For Bonus Content See Below !

This is third of the series surpasses even the excellent Cinderstone Orphanage. Its visuals and sounds can match any game out there, so please take it as a given that you’ll not be disappointed with any of the game’s artistry. I’m on a strict word limit here .

For the record, this is very like the other two, except we have silhouettes and lists for HOs, but still visited each 3 times. The puzzles are harder, and everything feels more original and alive.

I’m rather ‘over’ carnivals, and therefore was very pleasantly surprised with the originality of characters, their predicaments and their visuals; all were excellent and new.

That’s one reason I am so impressed with the game, the other was the new styled mini-games associated with each special ability you acquire. Both are exciting and different, visually appealing. It’s definitely a ‘must have’.

Bonus Content Review

The Strategy Guide, which I used only a couple of times, seems clear, stays where you left it, and gives you the location of the ‘secret objects’ aka collectibles at the end. There are 6 bonus mini games and 11 achievements. This was a beautiful game to look at, and for once I actually enjoyed the concept art.
The Bonus Adventure was not at all essential to the main game, and took me roughly one quarter of the time of the main game, but I skipped the puzzles in it, because I was too tired for them. There were more puzzles than in the main game, and you must uncover the solutions in layer after layer, which although it was done well, I got a bit tired of.

Would I buy the CE again? No, I think I’d have been just as happy with the SE.

Edited on 02/24/2013 at 1:44:32 AM PST

marg6043
Clownfish
Clownfish
582 Posts

[Post New]by marg6043 on May 19, 13 12:05 PM
After playing the entire game I have to say that it was worth the money, nice plot on the series saga, I would be sad if this one ends this series.

Hopefully is still another one in the sleeves of the game designers.

Go to: