kwhel
Guppy
Guppy
185 Posts

Re:Reviews for Adelantado Trilogy: Book One

[Post New]by kwhel on Sep 18, 12 7:36 PM
I like this game very much especially the casual mode. My only want is to be able to move or remove buildings-next book.

SharonGia
Squid
Squid
73 Posts

[Post New]by SharonGia on Sep 19, 12 9:54 AM
I like this game but I agree with the others that we should be able to save our progress if we want to take a break in a chapter - it took me over an hour to do chapter 3. So now I can only play a chapter if I *know* that I can sit there for that long. Yes, it can be paused if I have to get up and do something, but if I have to go run an errand it would be annoying to have to leave the house with my game paused.

Also, we should be able to demolish a building. I made a mistake before and built the wrong thing, it wasn't terrible but would have been nice to be able to demolish it.

Hopefully, the developers are listening to all of us and will fix these very annoying features in the 2nd and 3rd installment. I like that it will be a trilogy but these two things need to be changed.

Sharon

VTCT
Clownfish
Clownfish
591 Posts

[Post New]by VTCT on Sep 19, 12 5:03 PM
Instead of having the buildings such as woodcutter close why doesn't the game people have the forest regrow?

Cromaxgal
Clownfish
Clownfish
730 Posts

[Post New]by Cromaxgal on Sep 20, 12 5:48 PM
Yes, I love these TM games....I was able to get this one after playing the demo. I couldn't believe the time rushed by as fast as it did.

I also cannot figure out how to upgrade the buildings.

Cromaxgal
Clownfish
Clownfish
730 Posts

[Post New]by Cromaxgal on Sep 20, 12 5:54 PM
I found out that later in the game there will be a little green arrow indicating you can upgrade. So I guess for now unless the little green arrow appears, you can't upgrade.

gryhndlvr
Guppy
Guppy
156 Posts

[Post New]by gryhndlvr on Sep 21, 12 6:11 AM
I think this is a very well made game and a lot of fun. You really have to think about what you need and plan ahead, the only thing I wish it had was to be able to save it during a level. These levels are very long and sometimes I have to quit, during the game, but have to start all over again when I have time.There should be a save button and the game starts where you left off. Otherwise I really love this game. It is definitely a challenge

Cromaxgal
Clownfish
Clownfish
730 Posts

[Post New]by Cromaxgal on Sep 22, 12 11:36 AM
I LOVE THIS GAME.....and everything works like it should. Have purchased two different TM games which something was wrong with both....but thank you BF this one works great and is tons of fun.

ingeash
Minnow
Minnow
252 Posts

[Post New]by ingeash on Sep 23, 12 1:06 PM
I sorta like it but...........
1**The tutorial starts each level
you feel like its not only leading you by the hand but it stops you planning it for yourself, which I thought was the purpose of aa strategy game.
2** the game keeps telling you to upgrade persistantly and as they run so slowly it takes forever to complete a level.
3** The fact that you cannot leave the game until the end of the level, unless you really want to start again.
There are no guidelines to where things are to be found, it's only the second or third time around and I realised diary notes and gem powerups etc can be found under bushes and strange trees too as well as pots whis are smashed all the time. ''Glad I didn't have to sweep up after them''.
4** Don Diego (if I spelt it right) seems to speed up but I don't believe the workers do. That part of the level going up the mountains building bridges and talking to a couple of indians to get one gem right up the top takes forever. Can't hurry thm up even clicking on them doesn't do much.
My conclusion, it could have been an exceptional game but for these facts. Oh and the other thing I have to deal with is the game freezes if I leave it to get a cuppa tea or whatever. and I havbe to start again any way.
Okay, well this is the first time I have done this sorta thing, hope its not too boring.
Inge

[Post New]by jrweaver on Sep 23, 12 5:15 PM

Edited on 09/25/2012 at 2:27:00 AM PST

georgiarealist
Guppy
Guppy
179 Posts

[Post New]by georgiarealist on Sep 23, 12 10:10 PM
I agree with many others here and hope the developers pay attention. It's annoying that the game keeps telling you to upgrade things before it will actually let you do so, as well as during play later when it tells you to upgrade buildings where the resources are used up. I also didn't like having to wait for the prompt to repair buildings at the beginning of later levels - most of us can figure it out, even if it's a higher level building. And it would greatly improve things to be able to demolish buildings once they wear out, or if you find you've built the wrong thing (for example just before a new area is unveiled by a watchtower or totem and you find a building needing repair right after you built one). I don't really mind the extra/hidden areas.

DanieJo
Jellyfish
Jellyfish
16 Posts

[Post New]by DanieJo on Sep 25, 12 7:14 AM
Love this game, but each chapter is time-consuming. Nonetheless, there is real strategy required which is why I like the game so much. Keep 'em coming!

damgame
Seahorse
Seahorse
20 Posts

[Post New]by damgame on Sep 26, 12 5:02 AM
This is the most frustrating time management game I have ever played. I dont normally need to write reviews because everyone else does such a good job, but this game is not what I would call Time management. The players are so sloooooow its doing my head in. I hate that there is only one person that can do all the other things. And then there is the endless moving of the screen to see if I missed anything. I
do not like this game at all. I need to stop typing now because I could go on and I better not.

grabit2
Squid
Squid
75 Posts

[Post New]by grabit2 on Sep 28, 12 8:39 PM
still playing this game.. :grin:

i don't know how many times i have restarted some levels with that no save feature, but i can't stop playing this game. yes, there are some things that might work better in future games, but all the same i would like to congratulate the developers on this one.. keep 'em coming!

Cinders31
Minnow
Minnow
214 Posts

[Post New]by Cinders31 on Sep 29, 12 1:09 PM
Rarely do I like games that are part one etc. Usually this is a rip off, having to wait years for the other parts is also a pain.
THIS game is different.
It may be a part one game, as the name suggests there will be 2 more after this one, but it has a full game feel.
I have played it all the way through twice and working on my third time. I really like it and look forward to the next one to come out.

Only one part of the game frustrated me... the cavemen. I just hated having to watch out for those grotesque beings and clicking furiously on them.
I wonder if this is imagination at work or if something was "discovered" in real life and found in a journal that would make cavemen a part of this game?

I just don't like them in this game.
The rest of it is imaginative, a little different than the other ones that require building to get supplies to progress.
I enjoy the looking for treasure part the best.
the graphics on the moving water is amazing! I also giggle when my character picks up one of the stones... he does the big "hallelujah" move! LOL

Hope the next installment comes out soon, and I hope there is a walk-through soon because I am stumped on one of the hidden secret locations!

nrfaulk
Starfish
Starfish
53 Posts

[Post New]by nrfaulk on Sep 29, 12 6:01 PM
I agree with everyone's pros and cons. I'd only add that there needs to be some way to turn off the constantly nagging tutorial. I like to feel in charge of a game and make the decisions about what, where, and when to build, upgrade, demolish (if only one could). I think the constant coaching has to do with meeting the time goals of the various levels, but when playing in relaxed mode (which I like), I shouldn't have to be prodded every few seconds to upgrade a watchtower that was erected waaaay back in the original location that's nowhere near a caveman and all territory there has been revealed.

Speaking of the cavemen, if the local natives can figure out to close the caveman holes with rocks and wall them out, what's up with the conquistadores? The upgraded towers are supposed to defend against the cavemen but they don't do anything of the sort, making the constant nagging to upgrade towers even more absurd.

Finally, the one thing that really bothers me about this game is the way the Spanish conquistadores are made to look so sweet and kind as they plunder. The truth was completely the opposite. But it's a game and I enjoy playing it in spite of what I find to be its shortcomings, so I'll let it go.

Nagster
Lobster
Lobster
93 Posts

[Post New]by Nagster on Oct 7, 12 6:42 AM
I agree with those who gave thumbs down to not being able to save at any given point within the game play, the obnoxious cavemen, and the inability to demolish buildings. I imagine back in the day, recycling scarce materials was the norm, not some recent 20th century concept.

Playing in relaxed mode, in the later chapters, it became tedious waiting for the necessary raw materials to become available in order to proceed. I gave up on the Conclusion because I got tired of waiting for the lazy silver miners/minters to make enough coins (there was no option to build another silver mine with a more energetic/efficient crew) so I could move on.

I think I prefer all the clicking and item gathering myself in the Royal Envoy series to the bush whacking, urn breaking, tribal leader talking, and waiting around in this game.

marbleann1
Guppy
Guppy
127 Posts

[Post New]by marbleann1 on Oct 12, 12 1:07 PM
Pretty Good Game if you can get past the revisionist history the game is based on. Friendly settlers who conquer land by not conquering it at all but exchanging chores and food and building and finding long lost relatives to expand into new territory. And the Natives do not realize that gold is worth anything and the main enemy is cavemen. OK. Fine It's a game.

Pros along with the ones people already mentioned
Easy going game reminds me of the Westward games where the map is dark until you can open it up by doing something.

You do not have to watch the workers after you build the places they work at. But you do have to have enough workers. Or you cannot progress if there is less then 7 or 8.

It tells you what the expert time is at each level. So even if you play in the relax mode you know what time to go for, if you want.

No dragging workers. Just click on a building ,a plant, anything and a worker. automatically comes.

Cons
There does not seem to be enough space to lay buildings correctly. There is a method to laying buildings. The warehouses should be near the production buildings. Because for anything to counted such as wood or silver it has to go to the warehouse. If the warehouse is too far away the longer it takes for things to get counted and that is a problem when you need to build things like watchtowers.

You should be able to demolish building. Once a building loses its use, such as a woodcutters when there is no more forest they lock it. If it was demolished you could use the land for farms , more warehouses and workers housing. Or you should be able to replant forest.

I feel the building size is not in synch with the space you have to build. The scale of the building IMO are too large.

They ask you to upgrade building all of the time because they lose their productivity. But there is no way to do that until the very end of the first chapter. Don't tell us to do something we cannot do for half of the game. It might of been a programming mistake.

When you can upgrade to the highest watchtower,3. I am not clear if the watchtowers are doing anything to the caveman. Upgrading a building to 3 means it cannot be destroyed or messed up by a cave man. But I am not sure how that makes a difference because the buildings still lose their usefulness. And if a cave man is sighted you cannot do anything until you beat the caveman back into his hole. If I am at level 3 why do I have to do that.

georgiarealist
Guppy
Guppy
179 Posts

[Post New]by georgiarealist on Oct 12, 12 11:52 PM
As far as I can tell, a Level 3 watchtower will indeed scare off the caveman, but not until he begins attacking a building in range of the watchtower. Since there are several actions you can't do until the caveman is scared off, it is often better to do it by clicking him instead of waiting. (On another thread, someone said you can click the red text that tells you a caveman is attacking to be taken to the right place, which is helpful.)

For the future chapters, I'd like to suggest that not only worn out buildings be available for demolition but that smashed barrels and the fences the prisoners are kept in should also be recycled. For that matter, I don't see why buildngs can't be repaired - maybe not the woodcutters if the trees are gone, but others shouldn't just wear out.

sonofstar
Herring
Herring
361 Posts

[Post New]by sonofstar on Oct 14, 12 12:53 PM
I have mixed feelings about Adelantado.

I liked being able to play the entire game in relaxed mode. The basic game play is a great idea and it's not hard to catch on to what you need to do. Can take a bit to figure out where the imporant bits and secret bits are...harder as the game goes on.

Graphics are really good, music and sounds aren't distracting. Overall not a bad game.

I have a couple of pet peeves with the game, though. -1- You cannot save your work to come back to. You either push through that level or start from the beginning. Considering the fact it can take an hour or more to go through an entire level, I found that highly impractical. I do have a life that doesn't include a computer screen.

-2- I found it frustrating, especially in the higher levels, that you couldn't destroy a non-functioning building and either rebuild or build something else on that spot. Most games of this type either allow you to repair a defunct building or tear it down to build something else. Given how tight space was...would have been a nice feature.

-3- The story premise was a little bit uncomfortable. The Spanish coming in and taking over native territory. It seemed like the developers tried to make it more palatable by not having the Spanish just plunder but help along the way and get rewarded by the natives. Still, you were forced to "rob" from the natives to fulfill your gold quotas. Just kind of left a bad taste in my mouth.

-4- Took a bit to figure out how to undo something. For instance, if I chose to build a building but realized there was no room, it took me a while to realize you had to right click twice to undo the choice. If you chose to send the Don somewhere, there was no stopping the action. You just had to wait till he was done.

So again, a fairly nice game but with some mixed feelings about it overall.

[Post New]by ABIGAILSUE on Oct 19, 12 5:55 AM
as strategy games go, this is quite good. however i do have a problem in that, in this day it really is not a good idea to glorify the actions of the spanish CONquistadors

Go to: