Edited on 11/05/2012 at 4:20:51 AM PST

minesita
Dolphin
Dolphin
6,975 Posts

Re:Reviews for Judge Dee: The City God Case

[Post New]by minesita on Oct 31, 12 10:03 PM
A review of the complete game:

As ruadhan explain better than me, the game is a mix of very frustrating HOS and almost not hint at all. The story is more than interesting, also at the end is a kind of a moral thought and ethics.
I wondered a lot to find all the things I needed, I had to do several times the same HO in order to have something for some ingredient of some poison antidote, and so on...
My idea is this game was made completely with the oriental patience, values and so different to our standards. Is a pity no many people liked this, I know it's so tedious and frustating sometimes.
I founded the dialogues very useful for clues, the notes too, and I also noticed no always I could pick-up or give something to the people, should be in the right time (Devs. time of course).
The game is so unique, it deserve a try (it's my humble opinion because I respect the Chinese culture in many ways), but this is for a rainy day with a lot of patience.
I don't regret at all buying it, was better than others games which had nice reviews.
Happy Halloween, almost at the end of the day, and my prayers for the people at the East Coast .
M

Bellsprout
Salmon
Salmon
2,692 Posts

[Post New]by Bellsprout on Nov 3, 12 11:53 PM
I'm enjoying this game very much. I like the story and the characters. Also the graphics, based on Chinese painting styles, please me a lot. I first met Judge Dee in Robert(?) van Gulik's detective novels, and I was pleased to met him again here.

This game is demanding in unusual ways. It asks the player to think and operate in a rather Chinese way - valuing patience, quietness, and subtlety over the quicker-paced, more intense modes of activity that Americans are used to. I find it exercises some different parts of the mind/brain than most of the games I play and that is refreshing to me.

I enjoy the go and tangram puzzles. The HO scenes show both the name of objects and a silhouette. The silhouette starts out gray and is colored in once the object is found. Generous hints are provided. And the HO scenes can be replayed to get more hints. More hints can also be won from a go player on the street.

I see that many have been put off by the culture shock of the game, but I hope that if more such games are made, BFG will offer them here. I bought it and I'm happy that I did. I recommend it to anyone who is willing to try to think as though in a different culture.

nevarin
Jellyfish
Jellyfish
11 Posts

[Post New]by nevarin on Nov 12, 12 3:25 AM
I always praise the games which have an out-of-the-box concept and present a change from the common trends. As I see it is not only me but this time it is too much different. And you have to possess kind of Chinese thinking to like it.

Leaving out my feelings, the game is mediocre. Quite outdated graphics. And it is unnecessarily detailed. I mean there seemed to be no end to dialogues.

This is definitely not for everyone. So I would advise to try it first.

Edited on 11/12/2012 at 3:26:36 AM PST

Pertigal
Shark
Shark
10,783 Posts

[Post New]by Pertigal on Nov 23, 12 9:14 AM
Hmmm. Love the graphics and I enjoy a good story. Got through meeting the key players up front and now there's no one to talk to and everything is closed. *sigh* I'm not sure I'm smart enough to even get started. I'm supposed to meet two people who have signs up that say "go away", lol. Guess I have to be more patient or more creative!

Scottsteaux63
Minnow
Minnow
222 Posts

[Post New]by Scottsteaux63 on Nov 30, 12 2:39 PM
Well I must say it's a very pretty game to look at, and the atmosphere of the East is captured very well without, I think, crossing the line into caricature.

That being said, while I got through the first hour without too much trouble (and therefore bought the game), it got tedious real fast once the money was spent and went rapidly from tedious to frustrating to downright infuriating.

There's a Hint button, but it is only good for Hidden Object Scenes (and watch carefully because the item is highlighted for a bare fraction of a second; I had to use three hints one time), but your supply of Hints is limited and you earn extra Hints by playing Go whenever the guy with the Go board shows up. My problem with the Go game is that I do not understand it; I usually lost but the couple of times I actually won I could not see what I had done differently.

I've seen a few folks on here say that the Puzzles are easy. I am really bad at puzzles so I wouldn't know; I managed to stumble my way through a couple of them but I skipped more than I solved.

The biggest problem is that Hidden Object Scenes may be played over and over and over if you want to earn more points; the only problem there is that sometimes you have to replay a Hidden Object Scene to get something you didn't get before, and in one case I had to play the same H0 scene TEN TIMES before I could get out of the room I was in. That's just ridiculous.

The map is more of a headache than a help; for three days the thing kept telling me I was not done in one location and I finally had to run to the Forums for help.

Maybe a really advanced gamer could manage this one better than I did. I did manage to finish it, but if ever a game cried out for a Walkthrough it is this clunker.

**1/2 out of four, mostly for the graphics.

lovely62
Clownfish
Clownfish
731 Posts

[Post New]by lovely62 on Nov 7, 13 8:10 AM
I played the demo for awhile and quite, this is n ot my kind of game good luck to those he like the game.

Go to: