Monopoly ®

 
jkuci
Flounder
Flounder
2,447 Posts

Re:Monopoly ®

[Post New]by jkuci on Sep 19, 12 1:55 AM

I was nostalgically enjoying this game when, about 30 minutes into the demo, the gameplay started slowing down dramatically and some of the graphics disappeared - oh, well.

It mainly just reminded me that I have this game on CD someplace and I need to go rummage around and find it because I really did enjoy it.

 
cbtx
Stingray
Stingray
5,030 Posts

Re:Monopoly ®

[Post New]by cbtx on Sep 19, 12 2:24 AM
Here's a question----in this game, Mediterranean and Baltic are shown (and even mentioned in the game) as the brown properties----haven't they always been royal purple? Or did they change that? Just curious.

 
lastoasis
Minnow
Minnow
212 Posts

Re:Monopoly ®

[Post New]by lastoasis on Sep 19, 12 2:36 AM
I'm going to try it out.

I think I'm having more fun reading these comments than I ever will playing the game!

I love getting to "visit" with you all each night, even when I'm not interested in the game on offer.

Sorry I am such a lurker , but thanks to you all for posting as much as you do . I won't even download before checking with you fishies.

Edited on 09/19/2012 at 2:38:36 AM PST


 
snapnhiss
Pufferfish
Pufferfish
1,483 Posts

Re:Monopoly ®

[Post New]by snapnhiss on Sep 19, 12 2:55 AM
I got this game for my android device and it's pretty simplistic, I can't imagine it as a PC game.

 
jkuci
Flounder
Flounder
2,447 Posts

Re:Monopoly ®

[Post New]by jkuci on Sep 19, 12 3:47 AM
jkuci wrote:
I was nostalgically enjoying this game when, about 30 minutes into the demo, the gameplay started slowing down dramatically and some of the graphics disappeared - oh, well.

It mainly just reminded me that I have this game on CD someplace and I need to go rummage around and find it because I really did enjoy it.


Addendum: I finally dug up my old CD for this game but it is compatible with Windows/95/98!!!
Darn it....in order to play it I have to also dig up one of my old laptops that I discarded under all my other old (translation: obsolete) computer related electronic miscellaneous. Probably not going to do all that any time soon.

 
jkuci
Flounder
Flounder
2,447 Posts

Re:Monopoly ®

[Post New]by jkuci on Sep 19, 12 3:50 AM
snapnhiss wrote:I got this game for my android device and it's pretty simplistic, I can't imagine it as a PC game.


I don't know how this would play on an android device but it was lots of fun as a board game on lots of Christmas Eves in the old days......yes, the REALLY old days.

 
Mrs_Kim
Minnow
Minnow
215 Posts

Re:Monopoly ®

[Post New]by Mrs_Kim on Sep 19, 12 4:27 AM
My game board shows Korean places and in Korean. I would like to change the language in English but no matter where I look, there is no option for changing language or region. Anyone could advise me on this? I really like this game and would like to buy but not if it is only for one region

 
Ariinya
Guppy
Guppy
152 Posts

Re:Monopoly ®

[Post New]by Ariinya on Sep 19, 12 4:39 AM
I will download this game... but I DEMAND the horsie!! I want to be the horsie! Please please pleeeeeease, can I be the horsie?!

 
mkastor
Herring
Herring
375 Posts

Re:Monopoly ®

[Post New]by mkastor on Sep 19, 12 4:39 AM
So, I guess we don't need a blog walkthrough with this game...we need a Rosetta Stone ?

 
Ariinya
Guppy
Guppy
152 Posts

Re:Monopoly ®

[Post New]by Ariinya on Sep 19, 12 5:09 AM
mkastor wrote:So, I guess we don't need a blog walkthrough with this game...we need a Rosetta Stone ?


Price of the game: $505.00. Plus tax. O.O;;;

 

Re:Monopoly ®

[Post New]by dobbiemijnboekje on Sep 19, 12 5:11 AM
Mrs_Kim wrote:My game board shows Korean places and in Korean. I would like to change the language in English but no matter where I look, there is no option for changing language or region. Anyone could advise me on this? I really like this game and would like to buy but not if it is only for one region
Korean??? Get stranger and stranger this game.

 
Valdy
Marlin
Marlin
9,383 Posts

Re:Monopoly ®

[Post New]by Valdy on Sep 19, 12 5:24 AM
dobbiemijnboekje wrote:
Mrs_Kim wrote:My game board shows Korean places and in Korean. I would like to change the language in English but no matter where I look, there is no option for changing language or region. Anyone could advise me on this? I really like this game and would like to buy but not if it is only for one region
Korean??? Get stranger and stranger this game.


As I said: the game will come up in the language of the country the computer is based. This is really stupid, because there are a lot of people (me included) who move to different countries for job-related reasons, but don't necessarily speak fluently or want to use the language of that country.

 
stusue
Clownfish
Clownfish
597 Posts

Re:Monopoly ®

[Post New]by stusue on Sep 19, 12 6:42 AM
Valdy wrote:Well, it seems that if you are in an English-speaking country, you do get the English version. Edmee got the French one, and I the German. So it must depend on the country - except for Dobbie, of course. LOL


Sorry, Valdy, but I'm in Germany and got the US one! Even though I'm not German and come from an English-speaking country, I speak the language and would much rather have the German version than the US one. But I've never been a fan of Monopoly so only downloaded it to see what board I got. I'd swap with you if I could.

 
moonladydi
Dolphin
Dolphin
7,113 Posts

Re:Monopoly ®

[Post New]by moonladydi on Sep 19, 12 6:51 AM
I live in England so get the Board view in the UK English version, but the Trade info such as Property Names are in American English. Hard to know what you're swapping that way.

 
Daisy_May
Stingray
Stingray
5,050 Posts

Re:Monopoly ®

[Post New]by Daisy_May on Sep 19, 12 7:13 AM
I have to agree that it's weird to automatically set the language and board rather than making it an option (unless it somehow works it out at install time and only downloads what it thinks is the right one to keep game size down or something? It was a very quick download).

I'm in the UK and I was pleased to get the London board. I don't think I'd be interested enough to play an unfamiliar board when I know the UK one (almost) off by heart.

I see what Nelli meant about getting the American place names in the tutorial but I was still able to follow it, seeing as the board was usually showing too and had the UK places on it.

& when I play without tutorial, then the title deed cards which come up when being offered a property for sale show the UK names. The (much smaller text) sentence above the picture of the title deed card will say buy xxxxxxx using the US name but as the card itself, and the board display properly it's not a deal breaker for me.

I'd like to see the text fixed to match the board but, even if that doesn't happen, I'll maybe still buy it in a sale sometime. I'm only not rushing to buy because I'm not sure how much I'd play it at the moment compared to my current favourite games, but I like the way this version flows, the animated tokens (and little things like being able to choose different colours for the dice dots - I chose 'rainbow' )

It's a real pity that they didn't get the languages/locations better though because those faults have (understandably) ended up being the main focus of attention when the game has a lot of good things going for it compared to some other online ones that I have tried (including one which made me hit OK after every step an opponent took, to make sure I saw what was happening - that one was very annoying, but this one flows smoothly).

 
bfgBaikal
Marlin
Marlin
8,624 Posts

Re:Monopoly ®

[Post New]by bfgBaikal on Sep 19, 12 7:22 AM
Hi Fishies,

I just wanted to swim in and confirm that the version that is installed, is dictated by your operating system during download.

If you have the incorrect version, please get in touch with Tech Support so we can provide some more specific help!

Thanks!

bfgBaikal

 
Daisy_May
Stingray
Stingray
5,050 Posts

Re:Monopoly ®

[Post New]by Daisy_May on Sep 19, 12 7:37 AM
moonladydi wrote:I live in England so get the Board view in the UK English version, but the Trade info such as Property Names are in American English. Hard to know what you're swapping that way.


I didn't notice the US names when I was trading earlier in the demo (although I did notice them in other places). I only had a few mins demo left so, out of curiosity, I just forced a trade early on in a new game to check this out and see why I hadn't noticed it during the demo.

I see what you mean Moonlady & I agree that wording should be fixed to match the board locations, so I'm only saying this in case it helps anyone in the meantime ..........

............. the image of the board at the side of the trading lists shows ticks against the properties which you are offering to trade.

That's maybe why I didn't notice earlier - I must have been looking at positions/ownership on the board (or, more likely, I was maybe going by the colour of the property shown in a small square against its (US) name on the written list, rather than reading the name itself since I was thinking in terms of colour sets not individual properties).

Because I forced this trade, I couldn't check what you see against a property which an opponent is offering to swap but I'm guessing it would be marked too (probably also with a tick since this trading view of the board still shows which properties you own, and which they own, so they can probably use a tick on the board for any property in the trade and it will be clear who is offering it).

 
Valdy
Marlin
Marlin
9,383 Posts

Re:Monopoly ®

[Post New]by Valdy on Sep 19, 12 7:42 AM
stusue wrote:Sorry, Valdy, but I'm in Germany and got the US one! Even though I'm not German and come from an English-speaking country, I speak the language and would much rather have the German version than the US one. But I've never been a fan of Monopoly so only downloaded it to see what board I got. I'd swap with you if I could.


bfgBaikal wrote:Hi Fishies,

I just wanted to swim in and confirm that the version that is installed, is dictated by your operating system during download.

If you have the incorrect version, please get in touch with <a href=http://forums.bigfishgames.com/posts/list/144284.page>Tech Support</a> so we can provide some more specific help!

Thanks!

bfgBaikal


Aha !! So it seems, stusue that you have an English-operating computer. Because I was already living in Germany at the time my old laptop said "goodbye" to me, I had to buy a German make, which I didn't care for because of the difference in keyboards and even though I added the Ultimate or whatever it's called so I could get the whole thing in English, but the basic language will always stay in German. But I digress... LOL

So, because I bought my computer in Germany, I get the German version of this game. I think I will just continue playing "Trade Mania" then.

 
Daisy_May
Stingray
Stingray
5,050 Posts

Re:Monopoly ®

[Post New]by Daisy_May on Sep 19, 12 7:45 AM
bfgBaikal wrote:Hi Fishies,

I just wanted to swim in and confirm that the version that is installed, is dictated by your operating system during download.

If you have the incorrect version, please get in touch with <a href=http://forums.bigfishgames.com/posts/list/144284.page>Tech Support</a> so we can provide some more specific help!

Thanks!

bfgBaikal


Thanks for clarifying that Baikal .

Are you able to tell us if there is any plan for BF to approach the devs to ask for the localisations to be completed properly so that if someone is playing, for example, the London board, then it is the London place names that will show up throughout the game (e.g. on lists of properties being traded), not just on the board itself?

 

Re:Monopoly ®

[Post New]by dobbiemijnboekje on Sep 19, 12 7:46 AM
Silly, I bought my laptop here in Holland and get the english version.

 
 
 
 
Go to: