hannah57
Clownfish
Clownfish
760 Posts

Re:Comments for Haunted Halls: Revenge of Doctor Blackmore Collector's Edition

[Post New]by hannah57 on Sep 27, 12 9:08 AM
I played the demo and bought the game. A couple things that bug me are, the guy who keeps flying out to talk to you and the HOs are kinda junkfilled. Other than that, it's pretty interesting and I don't have any other games right now to play,

gingergal
Manatee
Manatee
3,873 Posts

[Post New]by gingergal on Sep 27, 12 9:21 AM
Hi shadowfax, elldee and everyone. Thanks dobbie for the information on length always great to know.

Glad to see they haven't shortened this series. As the length on the main games of haunted halls I didn't have a problem with. I loved the first haunted halls, 2nd one didn't (partly due to opening scene and feeling lost) but although I enjoyed it, it wasn't as good IMO. This one seemed to go back to the first game's roots without the mystery. Haunted halls and puppetshow are my favourite series from ERS.

As well as my above comments, I generally don't buy CEs unless it has "all the bells and whistles" and I have the expectation that the bonus game would be at least over an hour. But it's great to know there will be good SE to look forward to. Oh and I can and have been a critic with ERS, and although I wish it was harder this isn't 'the same old.'

I just hope for once that I feel the SE is tied up, and that the next game doesn't leave off or the next page from the CE bonus as then again SE players feel like they are missing a chapter and don't have a clue what is going on. So please ERS stop doing that.

eta - I had a brain freeze when I demoed this, I know it's not a turkey but it's a pheasant (I think lol)

Edited on 09/27/2012 at 9:25:23 AM PST

bella81762
Orca Whale
Orca Whale
24,424 Posts

[Post New]by bella81762 on Sep 27, 12 9:36 AM
really dissappointed that the hog scenes are now all just list type......great in the 1st 2 chapters....now just typical...

Tiger2010
Whale Shark
Whale Shark
16,624 Posts

[Post New]by Tiger2010 on Sep 27, 12 9:39 AM
Elldee, you mean you don't have a Kangaroo sitting in your front room that needs glasses to read the newspaper? Where have you been? Mine demanded The Times this morning. He's getting ideas way above his station!

Seriously, though. I'm loving this. After yesterday's disappointment this is such a treat!

CiChDa
Dogfish
Dogfish
1,972 Posts

[Post New]by CiChDa on Sep 27, 12 9:49 AM
Your comments are always appreciated by me and I am sure others...

So, with saying that, is this really worth the CE verses the SE version? I ask cause I could care less about the wallpapers, etc. I will go even as far as adding the SG.

I do think ERS is one of the better Dev's and am always excited to see their games, but after awhile (Puppet series) it does get redundant

Valdy
Marlin
Marlin
9,383 Posts

[Post New]by Valdy on Sep 27, 12 10:15 AM
gingergal wrote:eta - I had a brain freeze when I demoed this, I know it's not a turkey but it's a pheasant (I think lol)

And what really surprised me was what came out of the egg that the pheasant layed... (mouse over) an ostrich LOL

Penny1942
Clownfish
Clownfish
554 Posts

[Post New]by Penny1942 on Sep 27, 12 10:17 AM
While my d/l limps along like it needs a walker I would like to ask if there are others out there that are longing for happy, cheerful (of course I already love the kangaroo, bless his myopic heart, hope the koala hangs around thru the game he is just too cute), I need some more beautiful games like the Awakening series and Love Chronicles. I have worn them out. There is so much bad news on TV and the internet that I would love to be cheered up and if I have to listen to one more politician on TV I think I'll just mute it. Now I'll just get off my soapbox before I fall off and have to use the walker for myself. If anyone wants to PM me instead of putting yourself out there for everyone to make comments that would be fine.

Tiger2010
Whale Shark
Whale Shark
16,624 Posts

[Post New]by Tiger2010 on Sep 27, 12 10:24 AM
Hi CiChDa - just having a bit of fun with my silly sense of Brit humour there

I liked all of the ERS games, but this one (so far) I think is the best.

I do agree that, for experienced gamers, the SG is not needed in these games and I don't care for wallpapers either. I've always found the bonus play very good in these games. I only started about an hour ago, though, so can't comment on that yet.

Valdy - I had to laugh at the pheasant egg hatching too!!

bella81762
Orca Whale
Orca Whale
24,424 Posts

[Post New]by bella81762 on Sep 27, 12 10:31 AM
bella81762 wrote:really dissappointed that the hog scenes are now all just list type......great in the 1st 2 chapters....now just typical...

i am done with ers....wont even demo any more......started off with a different type of hog....practically, right after demo...all scenes were just lists......and typical bonus.....less then a hour.........done done done

[Post New]by baglady159 on Sep 27, 12 11:20 AM
I haven't purchased a CE for months...always wait for the SE. But I am another huge fan of ERS and today I had so much fun playing the trial for this game, yep, I had to buy it. Don't think I'll regret it.

CiChDa
Dogfish
Dogfish
1,972 Posts

[Post New]by CiChDa on Sep 27, 12 11:36 AM
The replies so far. so good, but..

I am still sitting on the fence, I won't buy a CE at this late of the month along with if it is just a clone of? Shame on me huh?

Tiger, thanks for your comment back and Bella how about a hug?

Enjoy all as ERS is one of the better Dev's!

bella81762
Orca Whale
Orca Whale
24,424 Posts

[Post New]by bella81762 on Sep 27, 12 12:20 PM
CiChDa wrote:The replies so far. so good, but..

I am still sitting on the fence, I won't buy a CE at this late of the month along with if it is just a clone of? Shame on me huh?

Tiger, thanks for your comment back and Bella how about a hug?

Enjoy all as ERS is one of the better Dev's!

lol cichda,,,,just upset, as i only bought it cause of the hog scenes, so 6 yr old gs could play...then they went back to lists....

shorenuf
Dolphin
Dolphin
7,281 Posts

[Post New]by shorenuf on Sep 27, 12 12:26 PM
I have been told that this comments section is less strident than the reviews thread about dialogue between posters regarding opinions, and apparently even information about how a game operates on different platforms.

I appreciated the review written by cbtx -- one that took an opposing view to the merits of this recent ERS release. In it cbtx mentioned the consistent lack of wide screen capabilities in games from this developer. This was my response…

"To cbtx and all PC players…
The Mac versions of ERS games open stretched to fit Wide Screen monitors. It doesn't usually compromise the graphics, and it is visually more pleasing than black sidebars, but it is not true HD. So, that's nice for the Mac players; sorry it's not the case for many of you.

That said, I must thank you, cbtx, your review makes it easier to not have seen what sounded like a dual release of this game. After what appeared to be a stellar beginning to Grave Testimony, I wrote a rather glowing assessment having played only the demo. By the games end, I was also quite disappointed. The HOPA formula is pretty much what it is, but other developers are still managing to produce visually stunning games with more enjoyable content. (Surface 2 and Lord of Statues are good examples.)"

How sad that posters cannot share dialogue within a thread. I was merely agreeing with cbtx's feelings that ERS has been resting on its laurels and producing games that lack the beauty and creativity that put them in the forefront of casual games. ERS has fallen behind its competition; Is this not a fair means of review??

And to point out to Mac players reading reviews that their game will be viewed in wide screen -- is this not helpful information in the reviews section?

One of the reviews for this game reads "I also hear that there is some tongue-in-cheek humour that adds to the overall story and is well-worth taking the time to read rather than skip over. Thanks ERS for this added fun." How is that a review? However, in fairness to DragonLadyOz, that commentary would make me curious to demo the game.

Lastly -- the initial reviews posted for a game are almost always based on playing the demo -- hardly a full, fair and balanced review. That is especially true for story based games, as cbtx and I both pointed out.

Information about the delay of this game was posted today, after I made my comment. I let it stand here.

kgustavson
Clownfish
Clownfish
630 Posts

[Post New]by kgustavson on Sep 27, 12 12:51 PM
bella81762 wrote:
bella81762 wrote:really dissappointed that the hog scenes are now all just list type......great in the 1st 2 chapters....now just typical...

i am done with ers....wont even demo any more......started off with a different type of hog....practically, right after demo...all scenes were just lists......and typical bonus.....less then a hour.........done done done

Thank you Bella - I'm feeling like they're using the interactive HO just to rope us in. They did the same thing in their last release and that ticked me off! Without achievements, etc I just don't find these ERS games to be worth the CE price.

[Post New]by WolfenRaindancer on Sep 27, 12 1:21 PM
I like this series...played 10 minutes of this one and stopped to buy. I have been disappointed in some of my buys lately...yes, I did wind up getting those CEs that I said I really wasn't that interested in, but this one is a good one, I think. Don't have time to play more right now, but it is waiting for me, when I get back home

Full screen, graphics are good on mine, music fits so far. And I like the animals too. Someone mentioned somewhere that they didn't understand what was going on...the other games provide the back story, and the cut scenes in this one give the updates. I know there are some that skip everything, and then complain because they don't get it. SMH, lol.

bella81762
Orca Whale
Orca Whale
24,424 Posts

[Post New]by bella81762 on Sep 27, 12 2:00 PM
kgustavson wrote:
bella81762 wrote:

Thank you Bella - I'm feeling like they're using the interactive HO just to rope us in. They did the same thing in their last release and that ticked me off! Without achievements, etc I just don't find these ERS games to be worth the CE price.

i wasnt sure what game it was that did the same thing...but yes,,thats exactly how i feel...roped in,,,,if the whole guide was unlocked in the demo (another pet peeve,,,whatever is unlocked at purchase should be unlocked in the demo..ie the guide) i could of skimmed it and saw that the hog scenes went back to lists...and would not of bought it..i would of even forgiven another ridicously short bonus game, if the hog scenes had stayed interactive

ers is only se worthy anymore imo.....

cherbtoo
Orca Whale
Orca Whale
22,629 Posts

[Post New]by cherbtoo on Sep 27, 12 3:06 PM

Me too.

gingergal
Manatee
Manatee
3,873 Posts

[Post New]by gingergal on Sep 27, 12 6:21 PM
Bella and cherbtoo - I want to thank you for your reviews and I"m sorry Bella it worked out like that for you.

And also for confirming in my own mind why I wouldn't buy the CE (short bonus and nothing that interests me in the extras). Cherbtoo thanks for letting us know about the ending and if it's like the last two game endings it probably will leave of like that as they were abrupt in the previous two and it was "in the bonus." But I won't repeat what I said in my earlier post about plot in this series and CEs and SEs. At least I know now what I will be getting so won't be surprise disappointed again.

And yes if there was a variety of list HOS and the new type in the demo then at least people would know what they were getting. I didn't play much but it seems they loaded the front with the fun interesting HOS and left the standard HOS till after the demo. So those who don't like that or want a change will be disappointed.

valdy - yes it was that, that struck me, not the kangaroo reading the paper

DragonLadyOz
Shark
Shark
12,214 Posts

[Post New]by DragonLadyOz on Sep 27, 12 6:25 PM
shorenuf wrote:(clipped)
One of the reviews for this game reads "I also hear that there is some tongue-in-cheek humour that adds to the overall story and is well-worth taking the time to read rather than skip over. Thanks ERS for this added fun." How is that a review? However, in fairness to DragonLadyOz, that commentary would make me curious to demo the game.

LOL shorenuf, I'm amazed that my entry is still there!!

I have just rescued Tim (hopefully once and for all .... but who knows ...... glad I didn't have to carry him after finding him so weak .... I was prepared to find a wheelchair or something ).

I enjoyed both the Main and Bonus games, but would also like to register my disappointment that the HOS reverted back to the "normal" style - though there was a little bit of interractivity in later ones.

Cheers

Edited on 09/27/2012 at 10:43:25 PM PST

elldee2728
Shark
Shark
14,378 Posts

[Post New]by elldee2728 on Sep 27, 12 7:16 PM
Tiger2010 wrote:Elldee, you mean you don't have a Kangaroo sitting in your front room that needs glasses to read the newspaper? Where have you been? Mine demanded The Times this morning. He's getting ideas way above his station!

Seriously, though. I'm loving this. After yesterday's disappointment this is such a treat!

Hey Tiger--Yeah, he's thumping around right now 'cuz we lost the section with the Sunday crossword! Actually, I think he's an adorable addition to this ERS game. I find this collection to the series very enjoyable! It "ain't" no cookie-cutter repeat, as far as I'm concerned. I used two credits, and I'm glad I did--gonna spend hours on this one!

Go to: