floof
Starfish
Starfish
47 Posts

Re:Spirit of the Wandering...terrible game

[Post New]by floof on Jun 7, 10 8:52 PM
I do not feel this is a terrible game. I was slow starting out but I am getting into it now. I really like this game. When I finish it I will replay and try to get more speed. I like the descriptions of the objects to be found. Just takes a little bit of history and a mastering of language. LOVE this game.

[Post New]by rosie28sammy on Jun 7, 10 11:00 PM
I posted this on another thread, but I think it might have been better to post it here.

I really wanted to like this game especially since most of the $2.99 games lately have been good. I thought I could fill up my punch cards less expensively this month than I have over the last couple of months. However, this game isn't going to help me get there.

I found the storyline somewhat lame because it was made much more complex than it needed to be. I thought I was just seeing a slightly altered version of one of the Pirates of the Carribbean movies. The game started out okay enough and while I thought it might be short with only six people to find, each person had multiple sections to search.

The graphics were somewhat grainy to me and a lot of the objects were very difficult to find based on the description given. What bothered me the most was the fact that there were so few hints. If you are going to make objects hard to find, either allow more hints or add a skip button. In the beginning of the game you start off with 1 hint. They do not refresh. After the first section there is a room where you can collect gold items to gain additional hints. However, even if you click on practically every piece of gold, you will still only get 1 or 2 hints. When you have five different spots and each spot has five hidden object lists, this is just way too few and the main reason I will not be purchasing this game.

KIW0612
Herring
Herring
376 Posts

[Post New]by KIW0612 on Jun 8, 10 1:21 AM
rosie28sammy - As I mentioned in my post (and others have too) that is why they have the blue "sparkles" to nudge you along. FREE HINTS! Some do not like the blue sparkle, they claim to prefer finding the items themselves. But with the limited HINTS - the sparkles are a life saver

Happy gaming,
KIW0612

penrose47
Stingray
Stingray
4,597 Posts

[Post New]by penrose47 on Jun 8, 10 11:35 AM
I AGREE About the sparkles for i have a few games I can not finish WHY
because I could NOT find certain items.

Happy Gaming

PEN
WELL WORTH 2.99

bball111
Guppy
Guppy
194 Posts

[Post New]by bball111 on Jun 8, 10 11:51 AM
I waited a few times for the "sparkle " hints, but could never see them. How long do you wait and how obvious are the hints?

Edited on 06/08/2010 at 11:52:54 AM PST

Indy70
Squid
Squid
73 Posts

[Post New]by Indy70 on Jun 8, 10 12:14 PM
I read the reviews, trialed the game, liked the game, bought the game at the Catch of the Week special price of $2.99.

Happy Gaming

_Amber_
Seahorse
Seahorse
31 Posts

[Post New]by _Amber_ on Jun 8, 10 12:33 PM
Not even for $2.99. As others have mentioned, the colors are off, and "large" and "small" are highly misleading descriptors. I liked the nontraditional descriptions of items, it made you think a little more than most HOGs, but the execution just wasn't up to par.

Svengoolie
Seahorse
Seahorse
28 Posts

[Post New]by Svengoolie on Jun 8, 10 12:34 PM
Hmm.

Beautiful graphics. Items that make sense and aren't just floating around in the air. Clues that make you think a little bit. 80% of the many items easy to find, then a difficult 20%.

Seems like the perfect HOG to me. If you had trouble with the first screen, you've got issues. The only problem is the use of the same items from level to level.

puzzledone
Dolphin
Dolphin
7,182 Posts

[Post New]by puzzledone on Jun 8, 10 7:59 PM
I'm in the buyer's corner on this one. I demoed it on my laptop Win7, no problems but smaller screen and took awhile to get with the different gameplay features. Since it only takes 128 Ram I trialed it again on my 4 year old pc with XP. Looked much better and more color. I love to find these older games with next to no tech issues without all the bells and whistles. So, for me, a couple more hours of relaxed entertainment. Buy 2 of these $2.99 for a good old HOG and 2 punches and sure nicer than paying even more for a new game full price and sorry you bought it.

So many naysayers are ripping games because not enough challenge. Then still don't like a game like this with some real challenges like figuring out what the clue is trying to tell you for an item. Or, not enough hints? That's a challenge to slow down and keep looking. Sure makes the game longer having to take more time so that should make those happy that don't like short games.

I like games that are different from the mainstream, this is not your straight traditional hog. The items all have the era's theme or ancient treasures, haven't found any cell phones or waffle irons yet.

On the quick hunt for gold I was able to pick up 4 more hints. And btw I don't think there is any penalty for random clicks, at least I've made a lot of wild guesses with no loss of hints. It gets easier if same items are in a next game because they are quicker to find. I just haven't seen any sparkle hints yet though, and as long as I glaze over on a scene I'd think they would appear. Hope it isn't a bum graphics card not picking them up to see. Some games can get pretty tedious if too long and nothing new, but I never get bored trying something new (to me) so I'm having fun. Sorry others aren't, so keep shopping.

ET3D
Seahorse
Seahorse
33 Posts

[Post New]by ET3D on Jun 9, 10 11:30 AM
I played the trial. The game does have its drawbacks (mentioned by others here) but they didn't turn me off. Still, ultimately it's the lack of plot that will make me not buy it. Everything so far is basically "find items that this person had to save him". I'm playing "James Patterson's Women's Murder Club: Twice in a Blue Moon" now, and that has lots of plot, so that might have had an effect.

dianaluna
Herring
Herring
339 Posts

[Post New]by dianaluna on Jun 11, 10 8:27 AM
Well, Kiw0612, You have convinced me to at least demo this one. The reviews were so bad I was going to pass. It looks like the scenes are dark, but I'll give it a try. Thank you all for your comments-good & bad--I enjoy them.

Genet1770
Guppy
Guppy
117 Posts

[Post New]by Genet1770 on Jun 11, 10 10:45 AM
Well, for what it's worth, I think some of the clues are being misunderstood. I'm not very far into the game, so I haven't encountered yet any outright errors that others have mentioned...What I HAVE found, tho, are that some of the clues, at least, are making a literary reference. Someone mentioned in a previous post that you just needed a bit of history for the clues to make sense, or maybe it was a sense of history. Whichever, that is correct, as far as I'm finding. One or two of the clues I've encountered have referred to colloquial expressions, another one or two to cultural history.

As for the rest of the game, I'm enjoying it. One thing I like a lot is that, as KIW0612 mentioned, the items to find are culturally correct...it's so refreshing not to find - at least so far - that jarring note of, say, a motorcycle helmet to find in a room based on Roman history.

One other thing that strikes me, too, is ... and I am no techie, this is just an observation from reading the forums, but it SEEMS to me that those fishes who have the newer, wide monitors get a lot more grainy or flawed graphics with the older games than the older, but still capable, monitors display.

Puzzledone referred, too, to trying the demo on a different machine and seeing better graphics.

At any rate, it's not as bad a game as my first impressions were giving me, reading the posts, and at $2.99 it's certainly worth it. I'm actually quite happy I got it, in fact. The irony is I'd probably have bought it for $6.99 too if I could, but I missed seeing it, or ignored it. Sometimes these specials clue me into games I really like, but never would have found, left on my own. And the theme in this one is cool...and it's handled somewhat like how a romance novel would...but that's another topic altogether, lol.

poetforhim
Squid
Squid
63 Posts

[Post New]by poetforhim on Jun 12, 10 2:43 PM
I have to agree it was not horrible, however I did not like this game. Spent way too much time trying to figure out what i was looking for, then that crystal ball thing....nope not for me. Way it goes..........

Survivor01
Guppy
Guppy
157 Posts

[Post New]by Survivor01 on Jun 13, 10 9:30 PM
I think it is a nice game, I actually liked the written clues to find the object. I am not buying it because I can't stand the orb - I like the idea, but hate sitting there waiting for the object to appear. If it only took a few seconds I'd be ok with it, but one time I had to wait many seconds and got bored so started moving the orb around just a little and missed the item, then I had to wait many more seconds! Hate to be picky, but just a little too aggravating for me.

dollyflower
Pufferfish
Pufferfish
1,373 Posts

[Post New]by dollyflower on Jun 25, 10 9:41 AM
Just finished the game, which I purchased as a $2.99 daily special, and I really liked it. The graphics were amazing. Some of the objects were hard to find and the sparkly area hint hard to see, but overall a good game. I would like to see how the sequel unfolds. Definitely worth playing even at full price!!

Go to: