Tiger2010
Whale Shark
Whale Shark
16,624 Posts

Re:Reviews for Where Angels Cry

[Post New]by Tiger2010 on Oct 2, 12 1:57 PM
Monks, Templars and a monastery. This is a nice little game that strays from the norm of the usual paranormal dark and eerie. The graphics are well drawn, the music befits the theme and the story is good enough to make you want to continue to the end.

This game should actually be called a light adventure puzzle, not a HOPA. There are no hidden object scenes here. I counted 19 puzzles, some of which are easy and some a little more challenging; but all perfectly solvable. The whole game is rather easy. All items are simple to spot, there's hardly any running around or the need to concentrate too hard to know where to go and what to do next. This lets it down a bit for me and is probably the reason why this game can be played in around 3 hours 20 minutes.

The other let down is the incessant dialogue, which is lengthy and out of balance given the length of the game. The accents were terrible. I actually wanted to turn the monks off towards the end.

Other than that, a very nice relaxing few hours' gaming.

mgpaquin
Parrotfish
Parrotfish
454 Posts

[Post New]by mgpaquin on Oct 2, 12 2:14 PM
I enjoyed the (very short) demo. The ambient sounds were grand, down to the "crunch" of the snow under the horse's hooves. However, the music started to drive me batty, a repetitious "tinkling" melody that made me want to shriek. I wish that game developers would do something about the music that they have in games. It's not like there aren't centuries of music that can be used... This game cries out for decent music. I'll probably wind up getting this one with a coupon that's going to expire soon.

dancemom1
Angelfish
Angelfish
1,198 Posts

[Post New]by dancemom1 on Oct 2, 12 2:44 PM
Something seems to be missing from this "HOG"...oh, there were no HOGs! Do they show up somewhere down the line? I got through the demo with 32 minutes left, beginning chapter 4 and still no HOGs.

Nice graphics and game play. A lot of shoe leather was used on this one. Music nice, items easy to find (not talking about HOGs, because I haven't seen any yet), games not difficult. Nice hint system.

Didn't care for the overly explanatory chatter from the monks. Your replys were quite short and somewhat bland. Nice voice overs for the monks, but needed some from player as well.

Something seems to be missing...besides the HOGs. It just didn't grab me and make me want to buy it. Nice little game for beginners, but as I say, try it for yourself and you decide. We all have different tastes in games and you may like this one a lot. Thanks for the reviews.

sunnyglow
Clownfish
Clownfish
804 Posts

[Post New]by sunnyglow on Oct 2, 12 5:29 PM
Personally I hate most HOG games. I love this game because there are NO HOG scenes! Every so often BF will give us a pure adventure game. This is a very good game. I am enjoying it very much. The graphics are okay, not exceptional but decent. There is voice over and the puzzles are decent as well. Objects are a little difficult to find however. However, I like challenge. I know many don't like adventure games, but we get so few on this site, please don't begrudge us a few from time to time.

Poodlebear
Manatee
Manatee
4,049 Posts

[Post New]by Poodlebear on Oct 3, 12 2:04 AM
I've just finished the demo and I'm enjoying it and have a coupon code so I'm going to go ahead and grab it. I finished the content (not time) based demo in 28 minutes and from the sound of things that means it will be a very short one for me but as I said, since I have a coupon code that's ok.

My favorite thing is, as someone else mentioned, the logic. At least so far I have not had to go find a glass cutter to get through a window when I have a perfectly serviceable hammer in inventory. Drives me nuts in games where I have a tool that would work but it is not the "right" tool for the game. I enjoy combining objects and I am totally fine with no Hidden Object Scenes. I always feel these are plunked into Adventure games to appease the HOS fans.

SO yep, we have some pretty laughable "Italian" accents and the puzzles are awfully easy (at least so far) but it's totally coupon worthy, though I admit I'd be less likely if I had to pay full price, mostly because of likely length.

I'll give a finished review on the game page when I'm done.

essgee52
Minnow
Minnow
265 Posts

[Post New]by essgee52 on Oct 3, 12 9:29 AM
Not to repeat what others have said, I agree with all the positives. Really, really enjoyed it, but it is VERY SHORT. Take a look at the walkthough vs. how far you get in the demo to get an idea of the length.

Sherryah
Parrotfish
Parrotfish
479 Posts

[Post New]by Sherryah on Oct 3, 12 8:33 PM
I was so excited about this game that I bought, until close to the end of the game, the gamer is forced to make a decision of life or death. The game ended there for me as I admit I was shocked! I will not allow my imagination to take me where it was being forced to go for the sake of a game.

A game I thought was so innocent and fun working at a monastery to solve the mystery of a statue of an Angel that looked as if it wept tears of blood. It was fun doing the tasks. The voice overs were well done. Graphics beautifully done. I was really enjoying the game until nearly at the end of the game when it was ruined for me and removed from my computer.

Everyone has morals and to do what the game developer asks of a gamer to do just crossed the line of my morality. My Children will never play this game. I am glad I did it first so I can protect them.

Everyone has to make their own decisions how far they will allow their imagination to take them for the sake of playing a game, and I have made mine. I regret buying the game but how else could I warn others.

If anyone wants to know what the Game Developer wants the Gamer to do in order to win the game email me. I have to admit I have played many games but never saw anything like what is asked for the gamer to do . In my opinion and no one has to agree with me, it is highly offensive.

For now on I will be more cautious before rating a game. There was no warning I really was caught off guard and thought it was a innocent game. In my opinion it is not.

To my BFG Members please do not be offended this is my opinion and I had to write it because I shudder how many bought the game because of my previous rave reviews.

I apologize to everyone who writes me and lets me know they purchase games after reading my opinion of a game.

lym_1609
Parrotfish
Parrotfish
431 Posts

[Post New]by lym_1609 on Oct 3, 12 10:14 PM
Live like characters, good animation, almost 3D, fants graphics, good scary storyline, lots of esay to mid difficult puzzles (walkthrough has no walkthrough for mini puzzles, just what the puzzles would look like when solved, a bit fruatrating cos I gave up on the horse puzzle, whereby turning a disc may turn other disc...)

Good voice over, easy cursor navigation.

LOVE IT! A more detailed wlakthrough with steps for solving mini puzzles would be appreciated

ultravl
Starfish
Starfish
50 Posts

[Post New]by ultravl on Oct 4, 12 1:43 AM

Edited on 10/04/2012 at 2:25:29 AM PST

laraly
Parrotfish
Parrotfish
428 Posts

[Post New]by laraly on Oct 4, 12 4:51 AM
It's a nice game, these new devlps. need encouragment, because they have done a good job, but it needs improvements. The navigation it's not so smooth, at times chuncky, the graphics are ok, but not my favorite style, the story it's very nice, thou sad, and honestly I am not in the mood lately for these themes, I already feel to cry, every day, if I start I won't stop! So for now I pass on this one, but I wish to this new team the best!! Happy gaming to all!

Edited on 10/04/2012 at 4:53:35 AM PST

lilTweet7
Herring
Herring
333 Posts

[Post New]by lilTweet7 on Oct 4, 12 9:39 AM
Another great game. Installed fast, and no technical glitches experienced during demo play. Beautiful old world graphics... very clear. Up close, some of the characters look very realistic. Love the cut scenes and dialogue between characters as well, and their accents very good. Good puzzles, yet not too difficult. Interesting story. Nothing to complain about. This game has all the right components in place. Five stars from me.

Edited on 10/04/2012 at 9:43:01 AM PST

Beingknown
Salmon
Salmon
2,670 Posts

[Post New]by Beingknown on Oct 4, 12 2:11 PM
I found this game to be quite entertaining. I was delighted to have an adventure/puzzle game to play, without being drug through the usual mandatory HOG scenes, which I personally find eye-straining and unpleasant. So, for me, a game without them was a delight.

This game was easy enough that I didn’t find it necessary to skip any of the mini-games. However, it was challenging enough that I did need the hint button a few times, including the solution to the labyrinth wherein I would have grown old and died, had there not been a walk though solution to cheat from. Like someone else mentioned, I too felt a little squeamish about “killing” until I remembered that angels aren’t alive anyway …and then I also remembered some vampire games in which I bit everyone I met.

I found the graphics to be well done, bright and deeply saturated with color. The voice over acting was good, the story line flowed nicely and the game played free of glitches. I also found the extra task of finding angels and earning achievements throughout the game to be additional fun.

I agree that the game seemed a bit short, but then again it held my interest and I was enthusiastic enough to stick with it until I completed it, which wasn’t true for the other two games I started and left this week in order to play and complete Where Angels Weep. For me, the Hogs do add length to a game, but I find them tedious, so a game that doesn’t bog down with them and which moves right along may seem shorter to me than it actually is, just because it’s fun and flows smoothly.

I recommend this game to anyone who enjoys adventure games

iiiiiiiii HAPPY GAMING !!
iiiiiiiiii-iiii Love, iiB

Edited on 10/04/2012 at 2:12:18 PM PST

[Post New]by feenix2011 on Oct 5, 12 8:49 AM
Well, again (and it doesn't happen often),I am in total disagreement with the reviews. I did not like the game much. I absolutely HATED the puzzles. I skipped about half of them - didn't get what they were about and didn't care. The game itself was O.K. Not the best I ever played - graphics were only so so. The story was different and I really could have gotten into it if all the above mentioned things were better, ie puzzles, graphics etc. I didn't care about finding the angels because it would only add to the time I wasted playing the game. Sorry I bought it. And sorry I couldn't write a nicer review!

feenix

Jurinne
Clownfish
Clownfish
606 Posts

[Post New]by Jurinne on Oct 5, 12 5:51 PM
Sherryah wrote:I was so excited about this game that I bought, until close to the end of the game, the gamer is forced to make a decision of life or death. The game ended there for me as I admit I was shocked! I will not allow my imagination to take me where it was being forced to go for the sake of a game.

A game I thought was so innocent and fun working at a monastery to solve the mystery of a statue of an Angel that looked as if it wept tears of blood. It was fun doing the tasks. The voice overs were well done. Graphics beautifully done. I was really enjoying the game until nearly at the end of the game when it was ruined for me and removed from my computer.

Everyone has morals and to do what the game developer asks of a gamer to do just crossed the line of my morality. My Children will never play this game. I am glad I did it first so I can protect them.

Everyone has to make their own decisions how far they will allow their imagination to take them for the sake of playing a game, and I have made mine. I regret buying the game but how else could I warn others.

If anyone wants to know what the Game Developer wants the Gamer to do in order to win the game email me. I have to admit I have played many games but never saw anything like what is asked for the gamer to do . In my opinion and no one has to agree with me, it is highly offensive.

For now on I will be more cautious before rating a game. There was no warning I really was caught off guard and thought it was a innocent game. In my opinion it is not.

To my BFG Members please do not be offended this is my opinion and I had to write it because I shudder how many bought the game because of my previous rave reviews.

I apologize to everyone who writes me and lets me know they purchase games after reading my opinion of a game.

Thank you, Sherryah, for your review and for the information.

I had decided to purchase this game. I Was impressed with the story and the graphics - and then I read this review.

I agree with Sherryah - with every word she has posted. To be asked to do what the player is asked to do is unacceptable, even in a game. This goes against my religious beliefs and my views on morality and has stepped way over the line that divides the pure and holy from the evil that seems to be pervading our society.

I will not purchase this game and I will not buy any game from this developer - ever.

I have nothing more to say as I believe it has all been said.

Cobweb55
Minnow
Minnow
256 Posts

[Post New]by Cobweb55 on Oct 5, 12 6:10 PM
I absolutely LOVED this game!! Was it perfect?? No, I haven't played one that has been perfect, and I feel this is a developer that will only get better with time. I can't wait for their next one!!

The graphics were very good, widescreen opened without having to change any settings, music was okay (I usually turn it way down anyway, so can't say much about it). The voice overs were not terrible (except for Jarvis!) I lived in Italy for six years and most of the dialog was what I remember when an Italian speaks English.

I think there is enough new and unique things about this game that far outweigh the the quirky little things that weren't quite right. It's definitely worth a trial at minimum.

Hint: grab that first angel early!! There's no going back!!

cnbmimi11
Guppy
Guppy
192 Posts

[Post New]by cnbmimi11 on Oct 6, 12 3:04 PM
enjoyed game very much except for ending..game was over before you knew it..need to work the story ending but over all a great game.

DeAnna2112
Clownfish
Clownfish
675 Posts

[Post New]by DeAnna2112 on Oct 9, 12 12:21 PM
BRAVO!!! Outstanding game and what a thrill to play. Storyline was unique, different and engaging and the graphics were beautifully done. No distractions such as junk piles to sort through that had nothing to do with the story. It's soo much more fun to find things that actually serve a purpose to the story then to be taken off to a junk pile to find things just to be finding things with no purpose. I thought the game was not too hard yet not too easy..just the right balance of both. I personally found nothing offensive about this game and would have to disagree with suggestions that a warning label is warranted. I certainly hope they will make a WAC 2

[Post New]by Old_Man_River on Oct 11, 12 8:04 PM
Definitely mixed emotions after finishing the game. As a game good, If you use it to calibrate your moral compass ..........

shorenuf
Dolphin
Dolphin
7,281 Posts

[Post New]by shorenuf on Oct 20, 12 9:24 AM
Old_Man_River wrote:Definitely mixed emotions after finishing the game. As a game good, If you use it to calibrate your moral compass ..........

I finished the game -- my moral fiber is not in shreds.

Sprattie
Herring
Herring
315 Posts

[Post New]by Sprattie on Oct 25, 12 8:31 PM
Have just purchased the game after being grossed out in another demo - severed head, headless skeleton, etc. - how bad can this one be?

I'll play it for myself and be the judge.

Go to: