nan431
Minnow
Minnow
269 Posts

Re:Talk with the developers of Where Angels Cry here!

[Post New]by nan431 on Oct 2, 12 12:09 PM
Hello! My first experience with your games and I am enjoying this offering. My comments are to see the hint button fill faster(I need help often on where to go) also please no turning on the lights puzzles or circular puzzles where you turn the wheels and all the others turn, find these very frustrating so I usally skip which costs me achievements. The scenes are nice and clear with good contrast backgrounds. Looking forward to more of your games. Thank you nan

4mybirds4
Salmon
Salmon
2,663 Posts

[Post New]by 4mybirds4 on Oct 2, 12 12:09 PM
I almost never try or play adventure games but after reading the reviews thought I'd give it a try. I found the demo enjoyable and easy enough that I could play it and understand what to do next. Of course I bought it, thanks for a great game. I may have to start checking out some adventure "lite" games.

[Post New]by Okiebulldog on Oct 2, 12 12:24 PM
I thought the graphics were great. I used the HD mode. I agree with the others about shortening the length of the hint refill, but I liked how it lead me to where I needed to be without "using" it. A funny thing happened that I haven't read about here. I was able to finish the game without going through the labrynth. I opened the gate for the kid, then went to tell him. After that, it got dark and I was told to go down the well to get back to the abbey. I forgot about the labrynth and fought the guard (loved that, btw) and the next thing I knew, the game was over and I had never learned about Victoria, or done the maze. Glitch, or maybe it was just an option originally? Anyway, loved the game. Good work!

ivanbral
Parrotfish
Parrotfish
423 Posts

[Post New]by ivanbral on Oct 2, 12 1:11 PM
Okiebulldog wrote:I thought the graphics were great. I used the HD mode. I agree with the others about shortening the length of the hint refill, but I liked how it lead me to where I needed to be without "using" it. A funny thing happened that I haven't read about here. I was able to finish the game without going through the labrynth. I opened the gate for the kid, then went to tell him. After that, it got dark and I was told to go down the well to get back to the abbey. I forgot about the labrynth and fought the guard (loved that, btw) and the next thing I knew, the game was over and I had never learned about Victoria, or done the maze. Glitch, or maybe it was just an option originally? Anyway, loved the game. Good work!

Oh, I see you finished the game without passing the labyrinth?
Well, it's an optional quest really. You can earn an achievement for finishing it. And of course, find out about Santino's forbidden love, but, yes, you can finish the game without completing this exact quest.

pvsquare
Guppy
Guppy
177 Posts

[Post New]by pvsquare on Oct 2, 12 1:15 PM
Count me in. I am buying. The graphics are very good. The story line looks very well done.

judyglenning
Guppy
Guppy
126 Posts

[Post New]by judyglenning on Oct 2, 12 1:30 PM
Thanks much for allowing short hint/skip refill on advanced level. One of my biggest pet peeves is having to wait a long time to skip a game I hate just because I don't want to play with sparkles.
You had me right there.

gks1951
Minnow
Minnow
253 Posts

[Post New]by gks1951 on Oct 2, 12 2:53 PM
Hi every one.And the developers. I must say this game was right up my alley,Extremely enjoyable,The puzzles were decent enough, but not worry some.I simply love games that are interactive,I don't care for straight out HOG,s.I like games in the med-evil era,This was so much different atmosphere, I hope you make more games like this one, but in different countries, like 10th century Scotland,Egypt.etc.As you can tell Big Fish is our favorite place to go for games, but some of the games are being rehashed.I am a big fan of Nancy Drew, and Jonathan Boak;s.So I wish you the best in the near future,there are a lot of fishes to keep satisfied.

Sincerley

Gabrielle

gingergal
Manatee
Manatee
3,873 Posts

[Post New]by gingergal on Oct 2, 12 4:15 PM
I'm more of a LF gamer so realise this wasn't geared for me but I found it very easy including the easy old school puzzles and I do play HOPAs. I played the demo in 35 mins with no sparkles, no hints or skips or skipping dialogue. I'd love to buy it but I need to get at least 3hrs out of a game and not sure that I would. The demo was 3 chapters out of 7 chapters.

I love that there is a fully customisable gameplay setting, achievements and things to collect.

I nearly missed this game as it was mislabeled. I'd suggest you speak to someone at big fish so it's in the correct area and not labeled as a HOS if you want your target audience to know about it.

If only it was an hour longer as I'd love to support and buy the game. I don't normally buy any game under 4hrs but for adventure games I make an exception at 3hrs.

Thanks for listening and I will buy when it's on sale or if I get a coupon.

hdnobjgamluvr
Shark
Shark
12,611 Posts

[Post New]by hdnobjgamluvr on Oct 2, 12 9:51 PM
Well, I'd like to be able to leave a positive comment, but the game won't even let me enter my name. And yes, my drivers are up to date

J

DragonLadyOz
Shark
Shark
12,214 Posts

[Post New]by DragonLadyOz on Oct 2, 12 10:35 PM
Hi there ivanbral,
I have played the other games you have offered in "like style" and enjoyed them both, but I would like to comment on the "conclusive activity" required at the end of this game.
OK, just a game and I am not of the religious bent, but I personally found the action I was required to perform disturbing - even when encouraged to do so and assured that it would be OK.
Please enable a second option if you are "thinking about" another game of this ilk.
Cheers

ivanbral
Parrotfish
Parrotfish
423 Posts

[Post New]by ivanbral on Oct 2, 12 11:22 PM
good morning everyone,
as always, it's good to login and see many new comments and suggestions. I'm glad to see that so many of your like the game. It's true - a lot of effort went into this one

@DragonLadyOz - about the ending - yes, I agree (lets not spoil the ending for others), but you could be right...

Brytani02
Jellyfish
Jellyfish
11 Posts

[Post New]by Brytani02 on Oct 3, 12 3:22 PM
Good afternoon Ivanbral,

Thank you for coming on to the forums to listen to and respond to our feedback. I wish more developers would do the same as listening to us would greatly aid in improving the quality of future games.

I almost passed up the game as it is advertised as a HOG and I am frankly tired of sparkles, find an object that may or not be named correctly or even look like the intended item. Move one space and more sparkles, search for more items. Wash, rinse, repeat ad nauseum. With that said, I am very happy not to have passed on Where Angels Cry.

There are many pros to the game along with a few cons; let's get the few cons out of the way first:

Hints and skips take too long to fill, even in casual mode. Having to wait to skip puzzles or wait for hints to recharge does not add to the enjoyment of a game, in fact it adds to frustration.

The diary does not keep place with your position in the game (although I assume this is so the player reads the entire story).

During conversation scenes having to click to continue then click again for your character to speak makes sense only when there are multiple replies to choose from. Since this is not the case, a single click to continue would make more sense.

Pros

Amazing graphics, even for those of us who do not have HD capabilities on our systems. Often reviews of games will talk about crystal clear graphics, your game shows what true crystal clear should and does mean.

Having the ability to choose expert mode with shorter skip/hint times and various other options. What a fantastic idea allowing the player to customize a game to their own desires. Kudos!

No HOS. Thank you, thank you, thank you! A full demo without the slightest hint of a HOS. I'm in heaven!

Providing statistics. I've often wondered how many thousands of clicks it took me to get through a game; now I can find out. Another fantastic idea.

An interesting story line that draws the player in from the beginning. The voice overs are incredibly well done.

Musical soundtrack is unobtrusive yet still manages to enhance the time frame and setting of the game.

I have a long standing rule that I will not purchase a game when the demo ends before the hour is up. In the case of your game, I knew within 5 minutes this was a must buy for me. Congratulations on making such a quality game, I look forward to many more from you and your production staff.

Thank you for taking the time to read our reviews and opinions.

lauder
Herring
Herring
358 Posts

[Post New]by lauder on Oct 4, 12 10:37 AM
Beautiful game, this is the type of game I love to play. everything about game is just right. getting ready to buy game. Thank you for a really nice game.

ivanbral
Parrotfish
Parrotfish
423 Posts

[Post New]by ivanbral on Oct 4, 12 11:46 AM
thank you for playing and for such good critics!

Beingknown
Salmon
Salmon
2,670 Posts

[Post New]by Beingknown on Oct 4, 12 2:26 PM
I found this game to be quite entertaining. I was delighted to have an adventure/puzzle game to play, without being drug through the usual mandatory HOG scenes, which I personally find eye-straining and unpleasant. So, for me, a game without them was a delight.

This game was easy enough that I didn’t find it necessary to skip any of the mini-games. However, it was challenging enough that I did need the hint button a few times, including the solution to the labyrinth wherein I would have grown old and died, had there not been a walk though solution to cheat from. Like someone else mentioned, I too felt a little squeamish about “killing” until I remembered that angels aren’t alive anyway …and then I also remembered some vampire games in which I bit everyone I met.

I found the graphics to be well done, bright and deeply saturated with color. The voice over acting was good, the story line flowed nicely and the game played free of glitches. I also found the extra task of finding angels and earning achievements throughout the game to be additional fun.

I agree that the game seemed a bit short, but then again it held my interest and I was enthusiastic enough to stick with it until I completed it, which wasn’t true for the other two games I started and left this week in order to play and complete Where Angels Weep. For me, the Hogs do add length to a game, but I find them tedious, so a game that doesn’t bog down with them and which moves right along may seem shorter to me than it actually is, just because it’s fun and flows smoothly.

Just one parenthetical remark: Usually I do prefer adventure games with just a tad bit more difficulty in the mini-games, or at least some gradation of difficulty levels. But I also must add that sometimes it is fun to be able to whip right through them without being stuck or frustrated at all. For me, your mini-games fell into the latter category in Where Angels Cry.

OVERALL:
I recommend this game to anyone who enjoys adventure games

iiiiiiiii HAPPY GAMING !!
iiiiiiiiii-iiii Love, iiB

wolfrun_cb1
Guppy
Guppy
159 Posts

[Post New]by wolfrun_cb1 on Oct 4, 12 7:26 PM
I wish I could experience all of these nice things people are saying about your game but unfortunately, myself and a lot of others are not able to play the game because of a problem. Perhaps you might want to look in the Technical Issues section to see we are all having the same issue with respect to getting into the game. We are not able to enter our player name. I have (as have others) installed and reinstalled the game several times but the same problem exists. All of the drivers on my laptop are up to date and the computer is very new.

As I said, I would love to be able to play your game but until this problem is fixed I guess I will have to move on.

ivanbral
Parrotfish
Parrotfish
423 Posts

[Post New]by ivanbral on Oct 4, 12 11:02 PM
wolfrun_cb1 wrote:I wish I could experience all of these nice things people are saying about your game but unfortunately, myself and a lot of others are not able to play the game because of a problem. Perhaps you might want to look in the Technical Issues section to see we are all having the same issue with respect to getting into the game. We are not able to enter our player name. I have (as have others) installed and reinstalled the game several times but the same problem exists. All of the drivers on my laptop are up to date and the computer is very new.

As I said, I would love to be able to play your game but until this problem is fixed I guess I will have to move on.

working on it!

[Post New]by veronique875 on Oct 5, 12 9:08 AM
I bought the game and I liked it; but what's with the ending? I don't really understand it. Isn't that what we were trying to prevent??

Sherryah
Parrotfish
Parrotfish
479 Posts

[Post New]by Sherryah on Oct 7, 12 9:35 AM

Edited on 10/07/2012 at 11:33:35 AM PST

[Post New]by SassiAries1 on Oct 8, 12 11:55 AM
Hi Ivan,

I have been a member of BFG for years and have never commented on a game before. This time I had to.

I thoroughly enjoyed the game. The story line, graphics, voice overs, the HD, all of it with one exception. I did not expect it to end quite so quickly. Will you be developing a sequel? I thought it would end after talking to the Cardinal explaining who did what, etc.

I just was sorry to see it end so abruptly. Nonetheless, I enjoyed the game, and will now check out the others ya'll have done. It is nice to not be dealing with vampires, goblins, lunatic asylums, and such. Please give us more good Angel HOGs.

Go to: