sunloving
Seahorse
Seahorse
25 Posts

Re:Reviews for Whispered Secrets: The Story of Tideville Collector's Edition

[Post New]by sunloving on Oct 7, 12 2:51 PM
Rather than repeat previous review, I'll just add a few others pertinent to my deciding whether or not to buy. I always pay attention to the graphics and appreciate the work/talent that goes into the hand-drawn ones, like this game. If only they weren't so washed out, making finding any of the HOs very difficult. Add to that the sunlight and it was nearly impossible at times. Of course we've had plenty of games where the dark graphics are also a problem.

The negatives for the graphics are that some of the items are out of the time period (the cables needed for the machine) and the pistol in the child's bedroom was shockingly inappropriate. Really necessary?! Since it didn't have a purpose, choose just about anything else.

Yes, this is only a game, but paying attention to details is one mark of a quality developer.

I like using "found" objects soon after finding them so that I don't constantly have to backtrack. Having just finished a game that required considerable "sneaker action",playing this game was a pleasant experience.

I'm still undecided about buying as a CE has to be outstanding. Maybe as an SE?

[Post New]by WolfenRaindancer on Oct 7, 12 5:39 PM
I just excited another hos, and I realized just why I enjoy them so much...they might be junkpiles, but at least I know what I am looking for. Some games are not logical at all and this is one of them. I don't think these devs are clever when they want you to run all over the place to find some item you need...I do like some logic, and using my brain to figure out the mystery, not just try and figure out the most illogical place to find something. Without a guide or a walkthrough I would be totally lost, as well as frustrated.

I bought this one, but am regretting this purchase. I have little hope that things are going to progress in a way that I find enjoyable. Ok, back to seek out tools, or parts of tools to do some mundane task that might lead to something better

caput
Guppy
Guppy
118 Posts

[Post New]by caput on Oct 7, 12 6:02 PM
I also wanted to like the game. The graphics are well done and so are the voice overs. However I just could not get into the game at all. It was kind of a chore to play the whole demo to be honest. And yes, way too many keys to find! Won't be buying this one as a CE and will think before I buy it at all. Not that there is all that wrong with it but..just did not interest me.

[Post New]by skippy_tramp on Oct 7, 12 7:08 PM
I thought it was a good game but not a collector's edition. It was to calm and predictable with mother and son. I was nothing memorable.

angelfish106
Pufferfish
Pufferfish
1,378 Posts

[Post New]by angelfish106 on Oct 8, 12 4:08 AM
bbelle wrote:

Thanks for the review, angelfish. I thought I was going to be the only one who liked it. I am with you that this is just a game. I have played part of the demo and the only thing I found that I really found different was the crystals showing up so easy. I'm used to hunting for things like that. This may not be a review but I like it enough to buy.

bbelle

You're very welcome I thought I was the only one that liked it too! Yes the crystals were easy to find but since the boy is trying to help his mother reach him, I took it that he was responsible for them being so obvious! And it seems to be a lengthy game; I had been playing for about 4 hours and had only just reached the island, so still plenty of playing time left and a bonus chapter as well. Oh and the puzzles get a lot trickier!

[Post New]by kris_cross48 on Oct 8, 12 6:21 AM
I really liked this game..guess there is a minority here...don't understand that

It had everything we look for
decent story line ( yes, we know it too well)
the graphics were just terrific
enoyable to play
nice fair length
but what really bowled me over was the music. IT was really nicely done, sounded like a lot of instruments were involved. The loop wasn't short and the switchi from one loop to another wasnt that obvious.
The music seemed to fit the mother..sincere, concerned, not half-hysterical, thoughtful/ I get a wee tired of asll the hysteronics in these games, so frankly, this mother figure was a gem, to me at least. I hope I would behave like she did if my kid went missing. She went after the problem and got it done..with class. Beats screaming to the cops and tearing your hair out.
So, devs..congradulations on a mature game. The bad guy was a mite silly but otherwise well done...your artists and musicians are awesome.
kris

boogweez
Orca Whale
Orca Whale
21,280 Posts

[Post New]by boogweez on Oct 8, 12 6:34 AM
I agree with most of the reviews. After playing the demo, I wasn't knocked off my chair saying I gotta have this. Not worth CE price . Maybe I'll wait for the SE.

lym_1609
Parrotfish
Parrotfish
431 Posts

[Post New]by lym_1609 on Oct 8, 12 8:24 PM
Great storyline, great graphics, lots of nooks and drawers in HOS. Not too difficult to find objects, hint recharge decently. Easy to navigate, detailed painted scenes that are live like. Fun puzzles that are somewhat easy.

LOVE IT!

allynann
Starfish
Starfish
52 Posts

[Post New]by allynann on Oct 8, 12 11:46 PM
I had a lot of with the demo, I am a grandma of 8 kids. we love to play all kinds of games. this one is a winner for me. great job grandma studio. it sounds like its their first game that they have made, might be. this one is a buy for me. as far as a panic voice i like it the way it is , its a game to have fun and relax . thanks big fish

FORTUNATUS
Clownfish
Clownfish
883 Posts

[Post New]by FORTUNATUS on Oct 9, 12 7:15 PM
Hey my fine fellow Fishies...

Lots of great reviews already posted here, yet I'm behind in my gaming due to 'real' world 'stuff', so I am only now just getting around to playing/reviewing and a hopeful return to more frequency of both again soon.

Anyhoo... I demo'd prior to reading reviews and honestly, I enjoyed it pretty much thus far...

The graphics are nice with detailed 'period' theme mixed with sci-fi blend of futuristic mechanization; the SFX is fine; *other than the tone in the character's voices, ie. the already discussed inappropriateness of the main character's reactionary tone*, in general, everything: all good, IMO. I enjoyed the unique cross over choice of M3 vs H0G!

I don't see much detail overall in posted reviews so far regarding the balance of the plot overall from those having played it through past the demo... yet, I will most probably purchase this as a SE or perhaps with CC should I run short of games to play (catch up on) sooner than later (that is, of course, unless I read more negatives from those who have played start to finish).

So, based on playing the demo.... I believe it is definitely worthy of kudos to a welcomed new developer.

Thanks BFG and dev.

~Forti

*As some fishies have found lots of fault with the main character being quite stoic in her vocalizations considering her son has just gone missing, and I agree... yet I lean toward being OK with it... afterall, there are much more blatant faux pas to 'down' a game on... such things as overt gore/evil or participation in same; child victimization, etc.; therefore, I suppose it's my turn to reflect back: HEY, come ON!!!!...... it's JUST a GAME.

Bink_In_AK
Minnow
Minnow
237 Posts

[Post New]by Bink_In_AK on Oct 19, 12 11:47 AM
I'll wait till the SE because it doesn't have the CE glitter & shine that makes it worth the extra moola.

amuzed
Jellyfish
Jellyfish
15 Posts

ITEMS COLLECTED Re:Reviews for Whispered Secrets:

[Post New]by amuzed on Oct 24, 12 4:00 PM
I'm not sure about anyone else, but I like a fast game play. It was rather annoying that every item I got it had to flash and stay in the middle of the screen for 5 seconds and freeze up any game play. I understand the item I picked up, I couldn't stand having that happen every time, it really slowed down the game flow for me. Any one else feel this way?

Edited on 10/24/2012 at 4:00:50 PM PST

CoolGrammy1
Minnow
Minnow
257 Posts

[Post New]by CoolGrammy1 on Oct 25, 12 12:56 PM
A definite buy for the SE version....good game but not good enough to spend the extra money for things I don't use.....

Jurinne
Clownfish
Clownfish
606 Posts

[Post New]by Jurinne on Oct 28, 12 5:19 PM
(Based on the demo): I like this game - but not as a CE. It certainly is not worth the CE price and I don't think it's worth the regular SE price, either. If it shows up as a DD I will purchase it.

I agree with the reviewers who point out the mother's apparent (no pun intended) lack of concern about her son's disappearance. I would be frantic.

I do like the option of playing Match 3 instead of finding items in the HOS. I think I've only seen that in one other game. I'm beginning to be a Match 3 fan.

The HINT button refills very quickly; I counted fifteen seconds but I tend to count very slowly. There is no rapid click penalty.

Finding blue crystals? Great - I love that sort of thing!!

The story - OK. Yeah, whatever.

There is nothing about this game that makes me want to purchase it immediately and that is unfortunate. I have never heard of the developers. If this is the quality of game for which I am expected to pay a CE price...well, I'm not going to do that. I hope that any future games from the devs are CE quality for a CE price and at least SE quality for an SE price. I want to play the game but I'm in no hurry to purchase it - even at a regular SE price.

Based on the demo I give it three out of five kitties (actually it gets 2 1/2 kitties but I can't cut a kitty in half):

Happy gaming, fishies!!

Edited on 10/28/2012 at 5:26:02 PM PST

jdelbove
Minnow
Minnow
266 Posts

Re: Whispered Secrets CE: Run ERRORS & ACCESS VIOLATION ERROR

[Post New]by jdelbove on Nov 1, 12 6:58 AM
Whispered Secrets: The Story of Tideville Collector's Edition

I am pretty much near the end of the game but keep getting above errors all of a sudden and now I cannot continue. Any advice?

Thanks..JoAnne

Cromaxgal
Clownfish
Clownfish
730 Posts

[Post New]by Cromaxgal on Nov 2, 12 3:12 PM
It's nice but not worth CE price

nikma
Guppy
Guppy
135 Posts

[Post New]by nikma on Nov 6, 12 2:31 PM
bel gioco facile e scorrevole,non ho mai avuto bisogno della guida,divertente e senza grossi intoppi...bella la grafica e gradevole la musica,mai invadente...buon acquisto ,lo consiglio

my3swps
Seahorse
Seahorse
39 Posts

[Post New]by my3swps on Jan 4, 13 12:24 PM
One of the nicer games I've played in quite awhile! Solid plot and flow; never bored. Beautiful graphics. Spoiled me for other games I'm trialing right now!

[Post New]by Old_Man_River on Jan 7, 13 3:48 PM
Sorry to say this is just a mediocre game. Should have waited for the SE version. Oh well, that being said, it's not a bad game, just hackneyed. Nothing new added to the Genre.

NiceZombie
Guppy
Guppy
165 Posts

[Post New]by NiceZombie on Feb 9, 13 1:27 AM
Just finished the game + bonus, what a long game! Many locations and lots of things to do. I loved the visuals, nice art.

A lot of puzzles, some quite hard, others easy A bit too many HO scenes, I grew tired of them So I liked this game for the puzzles and many inventory items, and collecting the blue crystals.

A decent game, a bit old-fashioned

Go to: