bfgAegean
Catfish
Catfish
1,568 Posts

Re:OMG I am completely enraged.

[Post New]by bfgAegean on Feb 12, 09 10:14 AM
Hello everyone. I wanted to take quick moment to weigh in on the issue of Dangerous High School Girls. I know many of you are upset that it was taken down from our site. However, after extensive testing of the game, there was content in the game that we deemed unacceptable for our family oriented standards here at Big Fish Games. We are very sorry that some of you who wanted to play it will not be able to, and we apologize for the inconvenience.

rvalot
Dogfish
Dogfish
1,855 Posts

[Post New]by rvalot on Feb 12, 09 10:17 AM
Thanks Aegean!

I think a lot of us just wanted this to be acknowledged and explained. It seemed weird that BF was so quiet about it.

... the Spanish Inquisition strikes again!

eleanor1183
Dogfish
Dogfish
1,991 Posts

[Post New]by eleanor1183 on Feb 12, 09 10:31 AM
Well, for what it's worth, my two cents.

This is one of those areas where our society is currently hypersensitive.

"Everyone" is totally tuned in to Bullying and The Stresses of High School Girls.

That is to say, in order to be "family friendly", the current mantra demands a very specific form of sensitivity.

Murder? Oh, that's fine.
Gore? Just watch any episode of any variant of CSI - it's totally fine.
Overt sexuality? Pick any game show or sporting event - totally fine.

But somebody thinking or talking about "meanness" to high school girls? Sorry. Currently taboo.

My opinion: It's not 's fault. It's the weird skewed perceptions of modern society.

dtouchton
Manatee
Manatee
4,156 Posts

[Post New]by dtouchton on Feb 12, 09 10:41 AM
Eleanor, You hit the nail on the head. But, I think if they are going to take a game like that off, then they need to take the others off, too.(Not that I WANT them to) Double standard, if you ask me!

What's funny is that high school girls are one the meanest you will find.

Edited on 02/12/2009 at 10:42:17 AM PST

[Post New]by Christinann1221 on Feb 12, 09 10:48 AM
Ok...I can't believe I am going to say this...but...

RTR is about the murder of 2 women and 2 children
Redrun was about the torture of a young girl
Several games are about murder or solving a murder.

How are these all considered acceptable content for family orientated standards?

I agree with eleanor, I guess this is a hot topic, but it is sad the voice of some ruined it for all and seems to be a no win situation for BF !!!

(Please don't yell at me for this statement, I happened to love all these games and BF , but I guess I am a little confused??)

I still love you BF !!!

Edited on 02/12/2009 at 10:51:08 AM PST

mommacole8
Clownfish
Clownfish
671 Posts

[Post New]by mommacole8 on Feb 12, 09 11:06 AM
As a game player this game annoyed me...not my type so what did I do played my free hour and then deleted and found a game more to my liking.

As a mother I am totally outraged at the censoring of this game. IF I as a mother do not want my kids to play a game I can block them from it or it from them. I thouroughally watch EVERYTHING my kids do...hey it's my job. not BFGs. yes this is a famly site....hmmm you sure about that I recently downloaded a game with a bimbo dressed scantily....no need for it she just was. that game will not be played by my son. Another game was a little gory....again I decided my kids didn't need to see it.

But that decision was mine and my husband's alone....what we choose for our kids is our choice..this whole thing of censorship has left a bad taste behind for me.

The other day they were teasing booger fish in the cafe are you going to close that down?...the teasing got pretty rough!

my point is this is a game site where people come to have fun and if some parent is upset by the games you offer then THEY need to discipline their kids and not let them come here. BFG has made the rules prefectly clear and if some under age kids are on this site it is not your Fault but their fault of the mindnumbed parents who are not supervising them as they should.

and yes I am shouting
putting soap box away.

Gentlsong
Dogfish
Dogfish
1,865 Posts

[Post New]by Gentlsong on Feb 12, 09 11:08 AM
vicalana wrote:I'm sorry. And I reallly am sorry. But I agree with BF on this one. I didn't play the game on principle. I am a teacher. I know the game was mis-described. I assume some people enjoyed it and it was a good game. BUT we all know bullying goes on in school and at work. And it is horrible. RTR was always going to have horror aspects. I loved it! But it was fantasy. Bullying isn't. Basing a game on this premise is not helpful to those of us who struggle to combat bullying on a daily basis. And BF is so kind and welcoming. Look at customer support. They don't just sort you out. They always have kind comments too. We look after each other on this site. The ethos is one of kindness. That game was based on the opposite. It didn't belong here. I am totally against censorship. Tell me not to do it and I'm suddenly very interested in doing it on a what-the -hell basis. I AM sorry BF felt it necessary to remove this game. But it was, and I applaud them for doing it.

VERY well said!!! I very much agree with you on this one. I'm not currently teaching but have in the past and have many friends who are teaching now, and it's one of the hardest jobs you can possibly imagine these days...especially if you really care about the kids you teach.

There is one question that came to mind after reading a few of these posts which is this:

How do we know for SURE this IS the reason BFG pulled the game?? After all, they DID change the description based on comments here. Just a thought!

bfgAegean
Catfish
Catfish
1,568 Posts

[Post New]by bfgAegean on Feb 12, 09 11:08 AM
Hello again. Perhaps I should be a bit more specific as to why Dangerous High School Girls was pulled from our site. The reason it was taken down from Big Fish Games was not specifically related to the "bullying" aspect, or some of the language used. It was removed due to some strong sexual content towards the end of the game. We would ask that if you have not played the game to its end, that you trust our judgment and reasoning in our decision to pull it from the site. Thank you for your time in reading this, and please don't hesitate to contact us if you have any further questions.

Edited on 02/12/2009 at 11:09:12 AM PST

dtouchton
Manatee
Manatee
4,156 Posts

[Post New]by dtouchton on Feb 12, 09 11:10 AM
Alright, fish that have played til the end. What are your opinions?

Gentlsong
Dogfish
Dogfish
1,865 Posts

[Post New]by Gentlsong on Feb 12, 09 11:14 AM
bfgAegean wrote:Hello again. Perhaps I should be a bit more specific as to why Dangerous High School Girls was pulled from our site. The reason it was taken down from Big Fish Games was not specifically related to the "bullying" aspect, or some of the language used. It was removed due to some strong sexual content towards the end of the game. We would ask that if you have not played the game to its end, that you trust our judgment and reasoning in our decision to pull it from the site. Thank you for your time in reading this, and please don't hesitate to contact us if you have any further questions.

If that's the case, I trust BFGs judgment and am VERY glad you're standing firm on your family-oriented values....not something we see a lot of in the world today. That was one of the things that attracted me to this site in the first place.

cesse47
Orca Whale
Orca Whale
25,099 Posts

[Post New]by cesse47 on Feb 12, 09 11:28 AM
Thanks bfgAegean for your further explanation. I'm very happy to belong to a game site that maintains family-oriented values ... and enforces them; both in the Pond as well as in the games they provide.

[Post New]by catsholidayhome on Feb 12, 09 11:37 AM
Appreciate the further explanation but surely this would have been discovered in the earlier stages before putting the game out on the site? Agree with family values and hold them true but this world of "politically correct" and "special needs" and one person doing something silly which means the rest of us having to forgo personal decisions is, my opinion, too much!!!

xoxJulie
Stingray
Stingray
4,592 Posts

[Post New]by xoxJulie on Feb 12, 09 11:39 AM
Well I never could comment on that game because like most of the games it was for pc's only. From what I've read the game had to do with high school girl bullies, which exists in real life, everybody learns in life to stand up for theirselves or they become doormats to the bullies. That's a fact of life. Should the game be banished, I would have prefered to have had the game rated, just like movies are. Then everybody can make their own choice, to own or not.

eWonka
Seahorse
Seahorse
26 Posts

[Post New]by eWonka on Feb 12, 09 11:46 AM
I don't know which scene or scenes caused BFG to pull the game, but I have played through it several times.

SPOILERS FOLLOW

The story does turn quite dark near the end, but the only bloodiness happens when you prevent an assault on one of your girls by shooting the assailant. The event is described in two short paragraphs. It is not illustrated. It is a striking event that reminds one that women (and men) are not safe, unless they are prepared to defend themselves and others. It's a message I would want to teach my older children, to respect the real troubles in the world, to prepare for but not fear them. That's how I felt when my queen "kissed her smoking gun".

Or maybe they didn't like the scene with two women who claimed they were playing 'Parcheesi'.

Or maybe they didn't like the bondage scene which is utterly ridiculous, like something from a Mork and Mindy show. It's not even Seinfeld offensive.

Did I miss something? There are quite a lot of endings to the game. Anyone find something more potentially offending than those?

Purplerabbit
Whale Shark
Whale Shark
18,590 Posts

[Post New]by Purplerabbit on Feb 12, 09 11:54 AM
I didn't get to the end, I got all my girls sent out of school and had to start over. That's when my trial ended, LOL! Like I said, I enjoyed the game (didn't think I would as not into card and board), so I bought it and I will get to the end one day.

slm1948
Parrotfish
Parrotfish
490 Posts

[Post New]by slm1948 on Feb 12, 09 12:00 PM
You go, Mamacole. I agree 100%. The games on this site are offered to people over 18 years of age. Parents SHOULD monitor the games they allow their children to play, but we are not children here. This game isn't going to turn any of us into bullies, for heaven's sake! And buying the game is not a statement that a person condones that type of behavior either. Some people need to get a grip. I can't express strongly enough how upset I am that some members of this game site demanded censorship and got it!!!

And please, don't another person write that they don't believe in censorship but they are glad the game was pulled. I truly will barf all over the computer screen.

Purplerabbit
Whale Shark
Whale Shark
18,590 Posts

[Post New]by Purplerabbit on Feb 12, 09 12:24 PM
juliamadeane wrote:
Btw . . . PR Loved your review of today's TGT!! I'm officially stealing one of your phrases!!

Jule

Hun, that's PB, I'm PR. I haven't posted on that thread, I don't think.

Edited on 02/12/2009 at 12:26:31 PM PST

silvermist
Angelfish
Angelfish
1,160 Posts

[Post New]by silvermist on Feb 12, 09 1:18 PM
bfgAegean wrote:Hello again. Perhaps I should be a bit more specific as to why Dangerous High School Girls was pulled from our site. The reason it was taken down from Big Fish Games was not specifically related to the "bullying" aspect, or some of the language used. It was removed due to some strong sexual content towards the end of the game. We would ask that if you have not played the game to its end, that you trust our judgment and reasoning in our decision to pull it from the site. Thank you for your time in reading this, and please don't hesitate to contact us if you have any further questions.

I say "better safe than sorry." BigFish is known for it's family oriented games. And as a parent, if I screen a demo and deem it permissable for my children to play, I would be VERY VERY angry if the ending (of a game I had given to my daughter or sent to a friend,) turned out to have explicit scenes.

Some of this is very subjective I'm sure....what it explicit to one person, may not be to another. But I TOTALLY appreciate that BFG does screen games all the way through. This keeps me always able to trust them with decency here.

THANK YOU BIGFISH!!!!!

AND I say to game developers.....if you're going to make anything explicit....make sure you show it in the demo....that way we as parents can say no, and can keep our youngsters innocence in tact for as long as possible.

vicalana
Stingray
Stingray
5,296 Posts

[Post New]by vicalana on Feb 12, 09 1:26 PM
And again, I say I am sorry. Of course everything you say about censorship should be true. BUT do you know why mobile phones are banned in school? I don't ban them/ I want my kids to have them . BUT bullying has hit new grounds. Kids can be bullied all day through mobile phones. Bullying has reached new heights and it can be constant. That's why a game - any game- which suggest bullying is fun or can be - has to be vetoed. It's just the way it is. Unfortunately.

eWonka
Seahorse
Seahorse
26 Posts

[Post New]by eWonka on Feb 12, 09 1:52 PM
vicalana wrote:That's why a game - any game- which suggest bullying is fun or can be - has to be vetoed. It's just the way it is. Unfortunately.

Fortunately this game doesn't do that. This game makes standing up against bullies fun.

So, in penance for your error, you will immediately beg BFG to reinstate the game and tell all of your acquaintances to buy it. Right?

:-)

Go to: