cathyok
Minnow
Minnow
208 Posts

Re:Comments for Botanica: Into the Unknown Collector's Edition

[Post New]by cathyok on Oct 21, 12 7:08 AM
I also bought right off as Boomzap are one of my favorite Devs. Can't wait until it downloads as the little taste I got in the video really impressed me. Thanks Big Fish and Boomzap for another great game.

Lady_Cav
Barracuda
Barracuda
3,363 Posts

[Post New]by Lady_Cav on Oct 21, 12 7:38 AM
Well, I must say that I was pleasantly surprised with the part of the demo I have played. It is "different" in its story line, which is a good thing. The graphics are really beautiful. Boomzap has always produced lovely games. I'm waiting to see a few more reviews of the finished game before I decide whether to buy or not. I like the fact that it has more puzzles, as h.o. scenes one after the other get a bit tiring at times.

I was a bit chagrined, for lack of a better word, early on when I picked up and realized that the journal, instead of a book, was something like an ipad! Since I don't own an ipad, ipod, ereader, or smart phone, I must admit that made me feel really old and behind the times.

Did anyone think that the floating, glowing seeds reminded them of the seeds from the sacred tree in the movie "Avatar"?

mhatfie
Pufferfish
Pufferfish
1,447 Posts

[Post New]by mhatfie on Oct 21, 12 7:59 AM
Wow ! this game is all good. It pulled me in right from the beginning. Love the way the Hos are done and so far no junk pile ones. Do I dare say it seems to have less hos and more adventure ? The puzzles are fun, graphics beautiful, scenery beautiful. This game looks like its smooth sailing all the way with no glitches or stalls. Just a fun adventure for a grey day so far in unsunny California.

lynne8179
Whale Shark
Whale Shark
16,322 Posts

[Post New]by lynne8179 on Oct 21, 12 8:15 AM
i am enjoying the different storyline bu this game is not up to boomzap's usual standard. the graphics are lovely but grainy and oy the puzzles are everywhere and way too many. i would love to see a little more balance between the hog scenes and puzzles. or just label it a puzzle adventure game.

[Post New]by miss_marigold11 on Oct 21, 12 9:12 AM
A perfectly wonderful and entertaining game. The graphics, especially the colors are glorious. You can't go wrong buying this one.
Thanks developers.
I would still be playing but sadly, life calls along with housework, lunch and other boring chores.
Once again, don't miss this one if you can help it.

cathyok
Minnow
Minnow
208 Posts

[Post New]by cathyok on Oct 21, 12 9:20 AM
Wow! What a amazing game. I think this is the best game they have given us yet. They even included for people who do not like too much dialog a way to skip it if you want, though I don't know why you would want to do that. The storyline is great and I love my new Lizard pal. The game is laid out very logically and easy to know what your next step should be. Dev's you really outdid yourselves and I want to give you many Thanks for this wonderful gem of a game!!!!

gingergal
Manatee
Manatee
3,873 Posts

[Post New]by gingergal on Oct 21, 12 9:29 AM
Thanks santabarba for mentioning it has collectables I did see a chapter in the SG with collectables so was hoping that was the case.

Boomzap you know it's going to be more puzzles than HOS.
I'm loving boomzap more and more, as in recent games they are super long, one of the few DEVS that actually take into consideration the P in a HOPA - puzzles. As these are not HOG games but comprised of three elements and so many DEVs give loads of HOS but not loads of puzzles. Here I know it will be more likely reversed and that some HOS will be different. I realise some people like the ratio to be different but I love puzzles.

Also graphics are good, story is unique and also good and a CE which has achievements, collectables - wait a CE that has quality and quantity (hopefully!) which shows it can be done.

I've run out of game credits and hoping for a sale by the end of the month to buy this, but it's a 100% buy.

shorenuf
Dolphin
Dolphin
7,281 Posts

[Post New]by shorenuf on Oct 21, 12 9:54 AM
I can't really "review" this game. I don't even know what to think of it yet. I played the hour demo and am still betwixt. The artwork seems a bit below the dev's usual, especially the cut scenes. It certainly offers little Adventure challenge in Normal mode. It has some of the bells and whistles -- achievements, collectibles -- but the map is stagnant (okay, understandable given the story -- there's no going back). Two of the puzzles literally solved themselves. I do like that the HO scenes are puzzles. I like that the story moving the game along is something different. But neither of those things had me hitting the "Buy" button.

[Post New]by Spirit_of_Auron on Oct 21, 12 11:03 AM
I'm for the most part planning on getting the game eventually, but one thing did bug me a bit, and it's probably going to bug me for a long time. My nickname is Kassie, which is the short form of Kassandra(which is not my real name, Kassie is because of my initials) so seeing Kassandra used in the way it is(at least at the begining of the game) did sour my mood for it a bit.

Otherwise it's an interesting game, and I'm usually one all for boomzap games, just not fond of how what's already a unique spelling of the name was used.

Mr_Russ
Whale Shark
Whale Shark
16,662 Posts

[Post New]by Mr_Russ on Oct 21, 12 11:33 AM
Spirit_of_Auron wrote:so seeing Kassandra used in the way it is(at least at the begining of the game) did sour my mood for it a bit.
Cassandra has a special place in Greek mythology, being both blessed and cursed by Apollo. Through her beauty she was given the gift of prophecy, through her refusal to indulge Apollo any prophecy was doomed never to be believed.

Edited on 10/21/2012 at 11:48:17 AM PST

[Post New]by Spirit_of_Auron on Oct 21, 12 11:52 AM
Mr_Russ wrote:
Spirit_of_Auron wrote:so seeing Kassandra used in the way it is(at least at the begining of the game) did sour my mood for it a bit.
Cassandra has a special place in Greek mythology, being both blessed and cursed by Apollo. Through her beauty she was given the gift of prophecy, through her refusal to indulge Apollo any prophecy was doomed never to be believed.

yeah I know, was referring more to the spelling then anything. the spelling itself is rarely used, like with my actual name, it's rare to see even without games, but I do think it'll grow on me for the game eventually, it just was not the best day for me to see it since I"ve not been having a good month.

SublimeOne
Clownfish
Clownfish
795 Posts

[Post New]by SublimeOne on Oct 21, 12 12:24 PM
I loved this game and will definitely be buying it.

It's a nice change from the endless HO scenes in some games. I loved all the puzzles although even in the hardest mode they are pretty simple, IMO.

It's also great how they use puzzles & HO-type scenes to move the story along. Nothing is junk-pile. Everything is consistent with the theme & story of the game. I wish more developers would pay attention to detail as well as these guys do.

The scenery is amazing and as an avid gardener, I kept wishing I could plant some of those things in my yard!

I especially liked that the female lead character wasn't some plastic enhanced top heavy bimbo-type. It annoys me no end that many of the female characters are often dressed in very tight, low-cut tops, even when they are supposed to be detectives or some other serious professional.

This character is a highly educated scientist and dresses and looks the part, right down to her boots. So kudos to Boomzap for that.

CiChDa
Dogfish
Dogfish
1,972 Posts

[Post New]by CiChDa on Oct 21, 12 2:23 PM
Sorry...No way a CE..I might consider a SE on a rainy' day
An A plus for trying to the dev's.

Lilly214
Minnow
Minnow
221 Posts

[Post New]by Lilly214 on Oct 21, 12 2:36 PM
I am a big fan of BoomZap and purchased this one without playing the trial version first. I'm loving every scene and am taking my time so hopefully I won't miss anything. This is so enchanting, I feel like I'm in a fairytale. One of my favorite things about this developer is the fact that they produce games that are free from darkness and evil content. Chris has stated that they feel there is too much of it in the world today, and I readily agree. Their games are a nice change of pace. Keep 'em coming BoomZap!!!

happyasaclam
Minnow
Minnow
292 Posts

[Post New]by happyasaclam on Oct 21, 12 2:59 PM
you are soooooooo right lilly214 as soon asi saw it was boomzap iknew it was a buy for me also a ce for 9.99 now thats the cheery on top if you ask me .boomzap keep them comminga big thank you to you &bf for this game have fun fishes

Laflamme
Stingray
Stingray
4,512 Posts

[Post New]by Laflamme on Oct 21, 12 3:01 PM
With that big a fauna I fear I'll be running into something eight-legged later on. Unfortunately I couldn't find a walkthrough elsewhere to confirm or abandon the theory.

So far they could have used a better font for the writing, and the bugs to find for the achievements are a tad small.

However, the story starts quite nice, it's clear what to do, puzzles are okay, voiceover is good.

troia45
Starfish
Starfish
56 Posts

[Post New]by troia45 on Oct 21, 12 3:23 PM
It was nice to see something different for a change... Also at a sale price.
Downloaded it , and bought it..

boogweez
Orca Whale
Orca Whale
21,280 Posts

[Post New]by boogweez on Oct 21, 12 5:14 PM
Interesting,different, but just not my cup of tea.Maybe when it come out as SE, but not now.

crowtrobot
Herring
Herring
318 Posts

[Post New]by crowtrobot on Oct 21, 12 6:11 PM
I'm certain of my facts because I just finished researching real-life inventions for a steampunk novel, and telegraphs DO NOT have pictures. They never did. Just now took me thirty seconds to find the book and double check my facts (which hardly needed double-checking). When the devs can't tell the difference between a teleGRAPH and teleVISION, I think I'll pass.

Sprattie
Herring
Herring
315 Posts

[Post New]by Sprattie on Oct 21, 12 7:29 PM
I'm on the fence about this one - interesting and clear scenery and graphics in the demo part anyway, some simple and engaging puzzles and FROGs I think you call them, but I wasn't entertained enough to buy the game right away. The characters are a bit tedious and exaggerated - that weird boy dressed like Oliver Twist - but they fit in with the cartoony action and situations - riding around on a dragonfly is a bit Disneyish.
The cutscenes, if that's the correct term for these, were also tedious and wordy, and not very well integrated into the story - I hate it when they just stand there while you look through their stuff. Some silly elements too - saddle bolted to the wall, bizarre telegraph, plants that need to be tickled. Kid stuff.

Someone mentioned that this developer doesn't use dark or evil themes which is refreshing. Also a terrific boost for me is that in the hour I played I didn't have to find a valve. A wheel to turn a pulley, but not a valve - sick of hearing and looking for this ubiquitous, repetitive, boring item.

Any comments about the bonus section? Worth the money or not?

Go to: