bella81762
Orca Whale
Orca Whale
24,424 Posts

Re:Reviews for Unfinished Tales: Illicit Love Collector's Edition

[Post New]by bella81762 on Oct 27, 12 3:23 PM
ledheadmelli wrote:ummmm....yeah....thanks for getting the songs stuck in my head, guys! Now it's driving me crazy to try and remember if both those songs were from "Hans Christian Anderson" starring one of my favorites - Danny Kaye...who reminds me of Gene Wilder...who I just finished watching in "Young Frankenstein"...so.....

Sweet mystery of life, at last I've found you.. right back at ya!

Anyway, this was a great game that ended too soon (demo-wise) -always a good sign! Love the developers and own many of their games. I was afraid of issues, so did not get to see the special effects, but loved the way you could make flowers and whatnot move by mousing over them! Breathtaking scenery - no surprise with this dev - they never let me down! We have the usual evil forces, but the game is just so bright and cheery that it brought a ray of sunshine into my rainy day.

Interesting mini-games so far - the type that made me eager to find the necessary pieces so I could get to them. Only had to consult the mirror a few times, mostly so as not to waste any demo time, though, as it followed logic as to what to do and where to go. Absolutely love the season-changing scene - surely I missed a few things and will revisit as much as possible just to play around in there.

Considering buying the CE - will wait to see what others say about the bonus content, particularly extra play as the other bells and whistles are not a factor for me. Otherwise, I'm definitely buying the SE - if I can stand to wait that long!

lol love that movie too...

bonus content was over 2 hours for me,,,main was over 6,,,,,what a quality dev

Tenmousers
Seahorse
Seahorse
33 Posts

[Post New]by Tenmousers on Oct 27, 12 3:43 PM

Edited on 10/29/2012 at 6:13:08 AM PST

dancemom1
Angelfish
Angelfish
1,198 Posts

[Post New]by dancemom1 on Oct 27, 12 5:51 PM
Elephant...need I say more? Okay, I will anyway. Very nice game. Excellent graphics, although a bit cartoony. Love the voice-overs and the added humor (what's your sister's name...). Quick hint recovery (for a change), nice SG (although it quit after the first chapter and the game went on, which confused me for a second there).

Very nice game play. Easy games, nice HOGs. I love, love, love the jump map. I wish everyone would use those things! This is a definite buy for me, especially with the special this weekend.

As always, try it for yourself. We all have different tastes in games and you may not care for it at all. Thanks for the reviews.

marg6043
Clownfish
Clownfish
582 Posts

[Post New]by marg6043 on Oct 27, 12 7:56 PM
This game story brings memories of deception and deceit, but I am afraid that is just the plot that seems like, that, perhaps because most fantasy loves stories always end good where the characters live happy forever after.

But for some reason I am looking this time for a game with a different and ugly ending, I guess I am tired of the same old same.

Still, the game has beautiful graphics, nice interactive scenes and the puzzles so far are no frustrating or difficult.

I love well done games, that is a plus, but I will love more if the forever happy ending will have a different twist.

I have not read all the comments as I don't want to spoil the expectations I have on this game.

This one is a winner, just on the graphics alone.

Edited on 10/27/2012 at 8:08:54 PM PST

mystine
Guppy
Guppy
104 Posts

[Post New]by mystine on Oct 27, 12 8:03 PM
I am completely in love with this game!! I won't go into details since those have been covered so well. My cursor was a bit jerky until I chose the option to turn off the SX...from what I can see with the SX you get some extra glow around things etc..however the graphics are so outstanding you wont miss it...the artwork to me worth the price of a CE especially when its on sale! The music is beautiful and changes pace accordingly...the story draws you in visually and mentally, and so far has been a pleasure to play. Wishing everyone here a great weekend and Happy Gaming!! <3

gingergal
Manatee
Manatee
3,873 Posts

[Post New]by gingergal on Oct 27, 12 10:01 PM
If you liked royal detectives you should try this and it has the same length in the main game but a way longer bonus (thankfully) than royal detectives. It's not one of their mega long games (but then I'm an adventure player so maybe it would be to you.)
I really, really loved this game and yet it’s so different from the live actors and a lot of games that elephants have done which I love and are my favourite.

I’m glad they decide to keep being different and this game is different, a fairy tale and you are Thumbelina fighting against the witch who has put a spell on your prince. The graphics are different also but thankfully they have kept it super sharp and in the HOS. I have no idea why they chose frankly the worst three screenshots out of the whole game (especially the HOS) and put in the main page but the graphics are gorgeous. Changing the seasons was pure fun.

I do wish they would do a pure adventure game (not instead of their HOPAs but on top of) and here with only 10 HOS in the whole game and not that many puzzles (compared with boomzap games) adventure lovers will love this as it is very much adventure driven and feels like an adventure game, not even an adventure/puzzle game.

There are achievements and collectables (butterflies).

As usual, you have a transporter map (and map tips if you play casual) there are three settings which you can change during the game. There is black bar tips on hardest.

My only nitpicking note was that near the end of the game you had to go back to old areas, even though it was somewhat changed, I would love it if it was like surface and it’s all new areas. Despite that I did feel throughout there were a lot of new areas to explore like a good adventure game should have.

PHOBIA ALERT
- *Huge realistic snake moving, I had to do the 2nd bit with my eyes closed!*

10 HOS

Usual – never repeat their HOS, and there is no random click penalty on them. They are mostly very cluttered scenes or junk piles and I would love it if they could do non junk pile. In a couple of their recent games their HOS have not been that clear but thankfully it’s back to their normal standard of super crisp lines, really crystal clear items and no tiny items. Even though a lot are quite big, I found it hard to find some so it’s not easy. All list type and they were mostly medium interactive only a couple had mild interactions.

to be continued

gingergal
Manatee
Manatee
3,873 Posts

[Post New]by gingergal on Oct 27, 12 10:03 PM
continued

17 or 18 PUZZLES (I went back to triple check nos & got another one)

I do wish some were harder but most were medium and some very easy although I enjoyed them. The old school puzzles seemed to be at the beginning (simon says, move one lot of ‘buttons’ to the other side) but even some of the old ones were done well like the dummy. I love the change arrows and icons so when you hit play ‘x’ goes through a path to the end.

CE EXTRAS

Achievements
Collectables – butterflies (at least 50)
4 music
8 wallpaper & concept art
(plus usual)

BONUS GAME (mild spoilers as to plot and kind of puzzles)

Mostly (95%) is in old area and I do wish it was all new. Main plot between prince and Thumbelina is 100% completed in main game (and they weren’t in the bonus) and the bonus plot was actually refreshing as I thought it would be bog standard plot (spoiler - *defeat bad witch* but it wasn't.

plot mild spoiler *You play as the witch* if you love helpers you get one in the form of a ‘minion’ and I really enjoyed the plot! What surprised me was the length of the plot as it was at least 1hr 30mins.

You actually do get something to collect which is part of the game which I loved. I loved the sky scenery and I felt the bonus was worth it despite old locations as it’s been the longest elephant bonus that I remember and had same quality.

numbers in addition to above

5 puzzles

(move people in boat in combinations, balance 5 scales, smaller version of put ‘icons’ in right order so when you hit play ‘x’ can travel through, draw continual line with boxes of how many lines can be used on the sides of them, variation on rotating circles) A couple I’d class as hard or took a while, harder than main game.

4 HOS

(no skipping in whole game but did change to casual a lot for map tips, I was playing for achievements but didn't feel too well so was wanting more help than usual! This to try and help you with time.)

TIME – main game - 4hrs 45mins (or same as royal detectives but they had more HOS so this is longer in adventure)
BONUS - 1hr 35mins

When you think there isn't that many HOS or relatively many puzzles to make this game long along with the transporter map, I think it's a good length.

(for CE, I judge SEs differently - CEs have to have good extras and decent length bonus)

Edited on 10/27/2012 at 10:07:30 PM PST

bessiegirl
Clownfish
Clownfish
738 Posts

[Post New]by bessiegirl on Oct 28, 12 7:01 AM
Bought this today because the CE was on sale. Certainly would not have purchased it otherwise. A bit of a girly girly game even for me, but entertaining. Just finished the demo and found enough interesting things to keep me going. One, the hint and skip buttons recharge quickly, however the mini games are a bit cumbersome and the instructions not always clear, but I am able to skip those quite quickly. HOS are a challenge at times, but again, the hint button is a help. Best part is a jump map which helps to move a somewhat slow game along.

So far, I'm only giving a 2.5 . Had to turn off those horribly annoying voice overs...good grief. We shall see.

Additional comment: Tried to continue this game. Eventually had to turn off all sound...good grief, how annoying. Its bad enough the story is awful. I have to use the HINT to figure out what to do almost all the time. Map is a jump map, but doesn't really seem to help in trying to figure out where to go. Nice graphics, but I don't think I have the patience to finish this game or the bonus game...what a waste of money, will probably to directly to the trash can. Definately a girly girly game.

Edited on 10/31/2012 at 2:32:54 PM PST

CoolGrammy1
Minnow
Minnow
257 Posts

[Post New]by CoolGrammy1 on Oct 28, 12 8:58 AM
Once again this developer hits it out of the ballpark. A definite buy for me!

[Post New]by kris_cross48 on Oct 28, 12 9:38 AM
wonderful, wonderful game..I think it's a redo during this wretched hurricaine due tomorrow...as long as there is power
The Packaderm game company do such a great job in every respect...it's deep, it's unselfish with goodies and length, it's beautiful, head scratching..lo, what a game.
This company seems to competing with itself to outdo different teams..the bar just gets higher and higher.
Thank you E-games, a lovely long experience, worth every red cent.
kris

Lab_Lover
Starfish
Starfish
51 Posts

[Post New]by Lab_Lover on Oct 28, 12 10:50 AM
I beta'd this game some time ago and was anxiously awaiting its release. And like another reviewer, I almost missed it because of its new name and HOS scene. I'm glad I decided to give it a shot. It lived up to the beta, although none of the scenes were as interactive as the seasons hall in the demo. Graphics were clear, hint was quick and the games were fun. Having finished the game and bonus, I can say this is one of the few bonus games I have enjoyed as much as the main game. Well worth the price - though in my case I used 2 credits.

jcsgame
Pufferfish
Pufferfish
1,392 Posts

[Post New]by jcsgame on Oct 28, 12 12:53 PM
A high quality game. Excellent graphics, scene-to-scene "jump" map, helpful Strategy Guide and Non-Repeating HO Scenes. The Seasons changing scene was new, beautiful and refreshing.

The Bonus chapter related to the Main game. It was actually a continuation of an unknown facet of the Main game.

Elephant Games created a well balanced Adventure, Hidden Object and Puzzle game.

I spent lots of enjoyable hours playing "Unfinished Tales" and consider it well worth the cost.

manitoban
Jellyfish
Jellyfish
15 Posts

[Post New]by manitoban on Oct 28, 12 2:37 PM

Edited on 10/29/2012 at 6:18:26 AM PST

Tiger2010
Whale Shark
Whale Shark
16,624 Posts

[Post New]by Tiger2010 on Oct 28, 12 6:01 PM
What a fantastic game by Elephant Studios (again!). I couldn't tear myself away from this and played for about 6 hours straight (both the main game and the bonus).

The story is loosely based on Hans Christian Andersen's Thumbelina (with artistic licence thrown in along the way). The colours are bright and crisp. There are voiceovers, though no lip syncing. You receive awards by achieving certain goals and you collect butterflies along the way. There is a beautiful 'jump to' map showing you your objectives and the in-game hint help is so good that it's difficult to imagine how you might need the strategy guide. Typical Elephant Games, in other words. Just beautifully done.

I loved the bonus play too. It turned the game upside down in a manner that could have been totally off putting, but which actually (in my opinion, anyway) just demonstrated redemption for the baddie in the main game (I won't spoil it!).

One more thing to mention; the game told me at the beginning to turn off the 'special effects' as it may affect play quality. I ignored the advice and my game played perfectly with stunning visuals (this really has to be played with the special effects to fully appreciate it). I had no technical issues with it whatsoever.

This is another game that is more adventure/puzzle rather than H0S. It's much appreciated developers. Highly recommended.

Edited on 10/28/2012 at 6:15:40 PM PST

Eoarod
Flounder
Flounder
2,391 Posts

[Post New]by Eoarod on Oct 29, 12 12:49 PM
OK so it took a bit - but just now got to the Bonus Content & am super thrilled! Don't want to give any spoilers but it's exactly what *I* wanted...(see my initial review if you want to puzzle this clue out...). Makes the CE worth it for me without any other extras - but - game will be thoroughly enjoyable as an SE as well!

lym_1609
Parrotfish
Parrotfish
431 Posts

[Post New]by lym_1609 on Oct 30, 12 3:25 AM
Its another refreshing HOS puzzles games, with puzzles within HOS whereby u need to think a bit on how to get at the item. Quite easy game play, also easy mini puzzles

Great graphics, and voice over. LOVE IT!

azoch
Starfish
Starfish
43 Posts

[Post New]by azoch on Oct 30, 12 9:39 PM
REALLY ENJOYED THIS GAME EVEN THO FEW HO'S. BEING ABLE TO JUMP VIA THE
MAP MADE IT SO NICE TO PLAY THE GAME. SURE WISH WE COULD GET MORE OF
THESE TYPES OF C.E.'S.....THANKS TO ALL YOU EXPERTS THAT RECOMMENDED
IT.

Valdy
Marlin
Marlin
9,383 Posts

[Post New]by Valdy on Oct 31, 12 2:20 AM
I have now finished the game, and was nicely surprised by the bonus game. Loved the character I played in the bonus chapter. Rather more fun than the somewhat dull-sounding Thumbelina. LOL

This game has quite a lot of different areas, so I am thankful for the ability to jump. And although in the bonus game you will revisit old scenes from the main game, there are a few new ones as well.

I have to admit that about halfway or three-quarter through the game I got bored with the game. The game wasn't quite as exciting as previous games from this developer. But the bonus game was a breath of fresh air, for which I am thankful.

qpr1
Clownfish
Clownfish
733 Posts

[Post New]by qpr1 on Nov 4, 12 5:00 PM
finished the demo in 42 mins, fabulous graphics, music was ok. but the game, for me, was quite childish. hated the asinine comments like "tumbling teapots" etc.
maybe as a daily deal

maeveodonnell
Guppy
Guppy
119 Posts

[Post New]by maeveodonnell on Nov 6, 12 7:22 PM
Awesome game! Graphics so beautiful - cannot wait for sequel!!

Thanks!

Go to: