Re:Reviews for Abyss: The Wraiths of Eden

[Post New]by daisyduck352 on Oct 29, 12 12:01 PM
Another great game and like that it has tasks listed and puzzles are great too. Graphics are clear and HOG's that you can find. It's another SE that is from a developer that I really like. Good job.. Give this 4 out of 5 stars

[Post New]by darkdisciple1313 on Oct 29, 12 2:26 PM
Although there has already been an underwater-city-themed game released this year, I enjoyed this one merely because of its similarity to Bioshock, which also takes place in an "underwater Eden" of sorts. The best thing about Abyss: The Wraiths of Eden, though, is that there are puzzles aplenty, as well as achievements, without worrying about insane residents coming after you with all manner of weaponry.

So, even though there are a lot of things that have been done before, I liked this one. I'll be playing it again on expert level, as many of the achievements require multiple play-throughs, which is always a hallmark of a good game. Not bad for a standard edition!

[Post New]by feenix2011 on Oct 29, 12 4:06 PM
The things wrong with this game - NONE!! What a great, entertaining, beautifully made game. I only have one slightly negative comment. Why are the teeth in the people always so creepy??!! Anyway, loved everything about this. The mini-games were wonderful, except the one to open the safe, I couldn't get past the first number for some reason - it wouldn't let me get to "3" and I couldn't make the candles, but other than that, they were fun. I loved the story, graphics were excellent, and the voices didn't annoy me at all. (very unusual) So all in all, definetly
try this game. You won't be sorry.

feenix

[Post New]by feenix2011 on Oct 29, 12 4:12 PM
I'm just adding on to my review, loved the fact that you could play Dominos instead of the annoying HOS. It took me a minute to play Dominos instead of straining my eyes and taking five minutes to play the HOS. Thanks Devs!!

feenix

dancemom1
Angelfish
Angelfish
1,198 Posts

[Post New]by dancemom1 on Oct 29, 12 4:50 PM
First of all, I'm a bit confused. Why can we not mention the developer's name? It is their game we are reviewing. Sometimes we can and other times we can't...why?

Anyway, very nice game. Clean, clear graphics, nice music, nice game play. HOGs not difficult and neither are the games. Quick recovery hint system.

Yes, the story line is someone looking for someone else, but a little different. Underwater, which is different for a change. Definitely made me want to know what's happening. Don't know how long the game might be, but I have the need to purchase to see what happens next. Hope I'm not disappointed by the length. I much prefer knowing how many chapter, or pages, before I buy a game, but I like this one.

As always, try it for yourself and see what you think. We all have different tastes in games and you may not feel the same about it. Thanks for the reviews.

texgma
Starfish
Starfish
45 Posts

[Post New]by texgma on Oct 29, 12 7:02 PM
This has to be one of the best games on BFG. I normally do not play thru but this was different.
Great story line, clear crisp graphics, enjoyable thru and thru.
I highly recommend this game.

crowtrobot
Herring
Herring
318 Posts

[Post New]by crowtrobot on Oct 29, 12 7:07 PM
The graphics of this game are good, but they don't hold a candle to Empress of the Deep. Every time I play that game the graphics just bowl me over.

The cursor changes to a magnifying glass at odd times: sometimes just when it's over a fish, and when you click the fish swims away, another time it was over a crab, first it was a magnifying glass, then a hand, back and forth but never did anything. Confusing since the magnifying glass is supposed to tell you there's something important to look at.

I couldn't get into the story, another rescue-the-boyfriend adventure. What is it about helpless guys in HOPAs? I didn't get the third Haunted Halls game because I figured rescuing boyfriend Tim twice was enough and he was on his own this time.

Also we have yet another game with someone with glowing eyes wearing a black hooded robe. Do they all shop at the same store for them?

bessiegirl
Clownfish
Clownfish
738 Posts

[Post New]by bessiegirl on Oct 29, 12 7:28 PM
Enjoyable game. Definately worth the money however get your tennies on because you are all over the place! Has a map, which is a bit confusing and certainly needed to be a jump map, not doubt about it. Good grief, I hate elevators...up and down you go and although the map seems to be color coded, I was never really able to figure it out.

Dialog is annoying...I skipped most of it. HOS are interactive and easy, but some of the items have strange names. Mini games are easy, but I did skip a few because I don't have the patience for mini games. HINT and SKIP buttons recharge quickly so the game moves along well. Journal is useless....never looked at it and since I don't use walk-throughs I can give an opinion there.

As usual, the guy is a wimp and the woman has to rescue him from the demons.

Nice graphics, story kinda same-o same-o, but I had fun. Good length. Because there was A LOT of running around and the map was confusing I can give this game only a 4- .

lym_1609
Parrotfish
Parrotfish
431 Posts

[Post New]by lym_1609 on Oct 30, 12 5:51 AM
Another great game. Colourful graphics, live like scenery, fill up my 26" screen very well. Beautful-ly done, LOVE it. Scary storyline, not so diffcult mini puzzles, some brainy macro puzzles within HOS, like if u want the paper inside the bottle, u need a bottle opener to open the cork then get that paper. Its in the 1hr trial, so I am not giving away spoilers

BRING IT ON! Did anyone notice BFG giving $2.99 per game?!!
HUH! $2.99 that's right, grap, slash, slapped the person in front of the checkout line, nah...just kidding. GO GRAP! NO KIDDING!

elldee2728
Shark
Shark
14,378 Posts

[Post New]by elldee2728 on Oct 30, 12 12:49 PM
(After about 20 minutes of the demo, then the purchase with a PunchCard Coupon)

Well, in spite of the fact that we can't even HINT at the developers, this seems to be a wonderful game! They (the developers, not BFG) must spend hours, if not days or weeks, creating a game like this!

Oh sure--the storyline is that our MALE fiance is missing--have we seen that b4? But this time, it's in the deep blue sea, so the scenario is quite a bit different.

The intro is very descriptive, and the Options Menu is THE best! Sound and music sliders, three gameplay modes, AND an automatic Widescreen mode (Hooray for you, Cbtx!). (Other developers--did you get the message?).

A journal, a map (no jumping, though), and a hint system that re-ups really quickly (a deep-sea diver's helmet). The H0 scenes are beautifully graphic, and they're interactive, as well. The voice acting is excellent, as is the animation during cutscenes. I liked the sound effect as you click on a hidden-object--like "Sonar." You can also play a "domino" game in lieu of the H0 scene.

I'm a licensed SCUBA diver, and I have to admit that this is a very realistic underwater game! There are other "deep-sea" games that are very good, but this one sets the bar even higher! Kudos to the developer, and to for offering this as a Standard Edition.

NiceZombie
Guppy
Guppy
165 Posts

[Post New]by NiceZombie on Nov 1, 12 2:10 PM
I loved this game from start to end.

What a brilliant standard edition game, it felt like I was playing a Collector's Edition; the devs are really awesome! I loved the story and atmosphere; it reminded me A LOT of Bioshock, another fantastic game set in an utopian underwater city that is on the verge of collapse. I was a huge fan of the Bioshock games, so this ''casual version of Bioshock'' has become one of my favorites here on Big Fish! It's like playing a mini-Bioshock! (minus the shooting part).

The music fits wonderfully and the graphics are crystal clear, very nice art. I loved the hidden object scenes, a lot of interactivity; and the puzzles were fun to do and not impossible!

I am glad I bought this game

boogweez
Orca Whale
Orca Whale
21,280 Posts

[Post New]by boogweez on Nov 1, 12 3:51 PM
All the positive reviews are right on. Just finished and IMO well worth the price. Played like a CE with the last chapter. Ending....sequel anybody??

Jerry99
Guppy
Guppy
105 Posts

[Post New]by Jerry99 on Nov 4, 12 9:09 AM
Very good game, good graphics, interesting and different. Needed a walkthrough though.

Kyasarin
Guppy
Guppy
166 Posts

[Post New]by Kyasarin on Nov 5, 12 11:37 PM
Loved this game! This maker has been putting out some excellent games, CE value for SE prices. This definitely lived up to the last game of theirs I played. Excellent art style--loved the art deco feel of Eden--lots of interest in the gameplay, and some really good "jump" scares.

Just a couple of cons: The voice acting wasn't all great, especially the guy who voiced Greg. He appears to have come from the William Shatner school of acting. Also, more of a suggestion, but it would've been nice to have been able to leap between locations with the map.

Overall, though, I'm really happy with this game, and I'll certainly be interested in more games by this maker.

mystine
Guppy
Guppy
104 Posts

[Post New]by mystine on Nov 6, 12 5:14 AM
Hi Beautiful fishies,
Well, this review is a bit unusual for me because while my genre is HO/Adventure...I am not normally a fan of underwater gaming. That said I did make an exception for Abyss...of course having a credit for it helped also I have played for about an hour and I must say I dont dislike it....the graphics are nice....the storyline while is nothing new or even spectacular does draw you in and hold you quite well...which I feel is half the battle. There are surprises that pop up along the way the keep you on your toes. Its absolutely worth trying the demo and is worth the SE price. Enjoy and happy gaming! As this Christmas season approaches...and apprently it is on the fast track this year....Be a little kinder than you think is needed as you go about your day...and in the immortal words of our hero and fallen King....its all for L.O.V.E. Big Fish you are the best!

Jurinne
Clownfish
Clownfish
606 Posts

[Post New]by Jurinne on Nov 8, 12 3:42 PM
(Based on the demo): What a great game! The graphics are beautiful and although I tend to be claustrophobic when in any structure underwater (not that that has ever happened except for a ride at the now defunct Marine Land) I can laugh at my fears as I save my boyfriend (husband, fiance, loved one, whatever) from what appears to be a nightmare in which he is imprisoned.

After playing for a few minutes I checked the title because I thought it must be a CE; it certainly has most of the bells and whistles. Some of the achievements are quite funny and make me want to continue playing. I do wish there was something we could find in the scenes like a cursed or morphing object but this is a SE so that's OK.

I will definitely purchase this game when I can and as soon as a WT is available (as I don't do well with frustration); it's on my "To Buy" list.

Happy Turkey month, fellow fishies!

Edited on 11/08/2012 at 3:43:36 PM PST

Coronanana
Seahorse
Seahorse
37 Posts

[Post New]by Coronanana on Nov 9, 12 6:59 PM
I am sooo impressed with this game. I have enjoyed it immensely. This was a bargain. A CE quality game for a SE price.I love games with a story and this had it. More, more, more like this please.

vicalana
Stingray
Stingray
5,296 Posts

[Post New]by vicalana on Nov 11, 12 5:31 AM
"I couldn't get into the story, another rescue-the-boyfriend adventure. What is it about helpless guys in HOPAs? I didn't get the third Haunted Halls game because I figured rescuing boyfriend Tim twice was enough and he was on his own this time.

Also we have yet another game with someone with glowing eyes wearing a black hooded robe. Do they all shop at the same store for them? "

Love it!

I couldn't really get into it either. But that's probably just me.

[Post New]by whirled_peas on Nov 11, 12 1:37 PM
I found this game to be much like all the others. At least there was a map that showed you where you needed to do stuff, otherwise I probably wouldn't have finished. No technical problems, no lags, but I didn't finish the bonus round - too boring.

gamer_girl_09
Guppy
Guppy
113 Posts

[Post New]by gamer_girl_09 on Nov 14, 12 7:01 AM
Some beautiful (as well as a few very eerie graphics & scenes.. ok, I jumped a couple of times!)

SL: Robert is missing after diving and his girl goes looking for him. She finds an under water resort that seems deserted but it's not and the inhabitants aren't friendly.

HOGS: Clear, not junk piles and are interactive as far as putting items together or finding one to use on another.

MINI GAMES: A nice mixture. Not extremely hard, but fun. You don't have to be exact or precise in the ones where items have to be aligned, the game is generous in helping you.

VOLUME (Music & Sound) Adjustable

MAP: No, though it would have been nice, even if not interactive, just to remind you where an objective is at by location. There are a lot of scenes to find and revisit.

VOICE OVERS: Yes

GAME MODES: 3: Casual, advanced, Expert

CURSOR: option of custom or normal

SCREEN: Full and auto detects wide monitors.

LAST CHAPTER: After the game is over, click on the LAST CHAPTER.. not sure if it is bonus content, but the game isn't CE and I realized it by accident. An epilogue.

REVIEW: I loved his game, one of the most complete story lines throughout the game, of any game I've played so far. The picture of one character (the Professor, a good guy) is the same character from another game, a bad guy.. but I can't think of the game at the moment.. I don't mean this as a negative thing, just a recognition). Well worth the money even though I used a free game code. It is definitely left with an ending so that the creators can continue the story and I hope they do.

Edited on 11/14/2012 at 7:03:07 AM PST

Go to: