Re:Have Questions? Need gameplay help? ToE Developer here, at your service!

[Post New]by snoozanwillow on Nov 17, 12 1:24 AM
I must be totally stupid but I have no idea on how to kill the first boss???

heidsterr
Seahorse
Seahorse
27 Posts

[Post New]by heidsterr on Nov 17, 12 6:02 AM
Wish I could play this game. I've installed/uninstalled/reinstalled about 5 times. When I go to play it, the Game Manager closes ... screen goes black and blinks a couple of times and then I get a message saying the game has unexpectedly quit. Never had this issue with any other game. Very frustrating, as it seems like a good one.

FWIW: Windows 7 Enterprise Edition 64-bit; Intel Core i5-2540M @ 2.6GHz; 8GB RAM

~H

Frogdice
Starfish
Starfish
54 Posts

[Post New]by Frogdice on Nov 17, 12 8:29 AM
snoozanwillow wrote:I must be totally stupid but I have no idea on how to kill the first boss???

You aren't stupid!

Just keep making matches to clear enemies in front of him, and then send magic bolts to hit him.

He doesn't attack you directly. The only damage you take is from his minions.

So if you want to be extra cautious, clear out as many of his minions as possible, and then make matches that send magic bolts to hit him.

If you are still having problems, I will make a youtube video showing how to fight him.

Thanks for playing!

arthurC
Parrotfish
Parrotfish
424 Posts

[Post New]by arthurC on Nov 18, 12 4:03 PM
I think I must be totally thick .. because I still haven't figured out how to use 'the gear" or the spells, or even know if the two are the same thing!!

Every time I click on the gear icon, It opens a page with the level progress or something like that.

Can someone please explain .. simply .. how I used the spells at the bottom .. on the board?
I'm on level 39 and haven't used any of them yet.
I'm doing something wrong aren't I?

Thanks.
Jo

dalaenadm
Seahorse
Seahorse
26 Posts

[Post New]by dalaenadm on Nov 18, 12 8:51 PM
ArthurC,

Your spells are on the bottom left-hand row, and your gear is on the bottom right-hand row of icons. Your spells affect your match 3 game board, and your gear affects the monsters on the battlefield.

The Gear icon opens your options menu, so you don't need that unless you need to exit the game or want to look at your profile.

Okay, so with the spells, you need to charge them up by making matches. You can move the icons around in your spellbook, but when you're actually defending your tower, just click on the spell and click on the appropriate tile on the board. (Some of your early spells only affect certain types of runes.) I like to use Healing Well (you just click that when it's filled up), or Gust (just click it and it blows back your enemies).

The absolute best spells to train are your Excellencies and Masteries (under Mastery). These just make your bolts more powerful, so you can knock down monsters faster.

To use your gear, buy the item by clicking on the coins to the LEFT of the item in your gear book. To use them on the board/monsters, just click on the icons at the bottom, and then click on the monster you want to affect. If you are using Dummy or Barricade, put it on the ground BETWEEN the monster and the tower. Same with grease. It will deduct one of your items, though, so make sure you stay stocked up.

The good news is that if you got to level 39 without using any spells or gear, then you are an amazing match 3 player. I don't use spells or gear either until about level 60 or 70, so you don't have to use gear or spells. You can just defeat boards faster and more safely if you do.

dalaenadm
Seahorse
Seahorse
26 Posts

[Post New]by dalaenadm on Nov 18, 12 8:52 PM
snoozanwillow wrote:I must be totally stupid but I have no idea on how to kill the first boss???

Snoozan,

Make sure that you train your excellencies under mastery as high as you can. That makes your bolts more powerful and will take down the boss fast.

arthurC
Parrotfish
Parrotfish
424 Posts

[Post New]by arthurC on Nov 19, 12 9:38 AM
Thanks dalaenadm, but I'm following your instructions .. and nothing is happening.

You wrote: "just click on the spell and click on the appropriate tile on the board"

I'm doing that but nothing is happening! How do I know which is the appropriate tile?

You also wrote: "I like to use Healing Well (you just click that when it's filled up), or Gust (just click it and it blows back your enemies)".

Fills up with what? I'm making matches but when I click on the spell, nothing happens!

I am totally befuddled.

Also .. why does my Kingdom burn when there's not one single enemy at the wall?
Jo

bfgMonongahela
Manatee
Manatee
4,448 Posts

[Post New]by bfgMonongahela on Nov 19, 12 10:29 AM
Hi Fishies,

Just wanted to swim in here and remind you that if you're having a technical issue with the game to please get in touch with our Tech Support Team. They have the tools to collect information about what's going on and if there is an issue with the game itself, we'll compile all those details and can pass it along to the developer.

You can contact them by clicking here to submit a support ticket via email. If you're a Big Fish Game Club member, you can also connect to Live Chat Support Monday-Friday 7:30am-4:30pm PST.

Thank you!

bfgMonongahela

dalaenadm
Seahorse
Seahorse
26 Posts

[Post New]by dalaenadm on Nov 20, 12 10:48 AM
Hi, ArthurC,

I want to make sure that you are clicking on the right place. There's a line of squre buttons underneath the Tower. At the beginning of the game, these will be empty. They also have a corresponding number, 1-6. You should be able to use your keyboard, too.

If the spell you are using is "Gust", that can only be used on an air rune. (That's the cloud-looking one). So, you would have to wait until "Gust" is charged up by making matches. You can tell that it's charged up when it's fully colored. Then you click the Gust button (or hit 1) and then click on a air rune (cloud tile) to blow it up, just like you did in the tutorial.

When your spells are not "charged", they will be dark. As you charge them up by making matches, you can see the button in the bottom tray (under the tower) start to fill with color. When it is fully colored, you can click on it to use it. To change spells, just drag the button out of the bottom and fill it in with the picture in your spellbook.

Sometimes, a rat or a bat can sneak through and be beating at your tower without being noticed. The green health bar at the upper left hand of the screen shows you your tower health. If that is going down, you have something beating on your tower. If you are sure you don't see anything, take a screenshot and report it! I haven't seen this yet, but it could be a technical issue and BFG will help you solve it.

tamme01
Seahorse
Seahorse
34 Posts

[Post New]by tamme01 on Nov 25, 12 9:27 AM
I need some clarification on using the Amplifier. I've tried to use it over and over, I wait till the cursor turns red before clicking, and nothing happens. The count in my inventory never decreases. I'm obviously doing something wrong but have no clue what it is.

Any help is most appreciated!

Thank you!

Frogdice
Starfish
Starfish
54 Posts

[Post New]by Frogdice on Nov 25, 12 10:03 AM
tamme01 wrote:I need some clarification on using the Amplifier. I've tried to use it over and over, I wait till the cursor turns red before clicking, and nothing happens. The count in my inventory never decreases. I'm obviously doing something wrong but have no clue what it is.

Any help is most appreciated!

Thank you!

The Amplifier is an item you place on the battlefield.

1) Click the button for the amplifier.

2) Then drag the cursor over to the battlefield and click again to place it wherever you want.

3) Then make matches to send magic bolts THROUGH the amplifier.

It will split your bolt into 3 bolts on multiple lanes.

It is way cool.

Edited on 11/25/2012 at 12:29:08 PM PST

tamme01
Seahorse
Seahorse
34 Posts

[Post New]by tamme01 on Nov 25, 12 12:27 PM
Well, I thought that was what I was doing. I click when the cursor is red but nothing happens and the count in my inventory does not decrease. Perhaps it's a bug and I need to reinstall. Will I see anything on the battlefield once the amplifier is placed? If I should, then it isn't being placed.

By the way, I do love this game! Quite addicting!! However, it is a little sticky on my laptop. This could have an impact when going to the more difficult level.

Frogdice
Starfish
Starfish
54 Posts

[Post New]by Frogdice on Nov 25, 12 3:44 PM
tamme01 wrote:Well, I thought that was what I was doing. I click when the cursor is red but nothing happens and the count in my inventory does not decrease. Perhaps it's a bug and I need to reinstall. Will I see anything on the battlefield once the amplifier is placed? If I should, then it isn't being placed.

If the cursor is red, that usually means you have something else selected already.

You should be able to click the amplifier button, then click on the battlefield, and it will place.

It actually places a little pyramid shaped object with a little electric beam. Its kinda cute.

tamme01 wrote:
By the way, I do love this game! Quite addicting!! However, it is a little sticky on my laptop. This could have an impact when going to the more difficult level.

Fear not! We have heard this from a few people and we are working on this assiduously. We are actually doing a full recode of the match 3 mechanics from scratch to make them super duper efficient.

This is probably a little overboard, but we take quality SUPER seriously and want to make sure our players have the best experience possible.

Edited on 11/25/2012 at 3:45:26 PM PST

Dialogue
Minnow
Minnow
202 Posts

[Post New]by Dialogue on Nov 28, 12 3:11 PM
I am normally not that good at Match 3 games although I own several of them. I enjoy playing them but not if they are timed. Your game is so different in the Match 3 genre that I am going to buy this game. I might never finish it because I am so slow I was killed in the tutorial. I went a little faster after that and stayed alive a little longer. I have no idea what a boss looks like because I haven't gotten that far but I will perservere and continue on.

I just want to say thank you for this innovative game. I am having a lot of fun playing it. I might even learn how to play Match 3 games better.

genkicoll
Stingray
Stingray
5,732 Posts

[Post New]by genkicoll on Nov 28, 12 3:51 PM
heidsterr wrote:Wish I could play this game. I've installed/uninstalled/reinstalled about 5 times. When I go to play it, the Game Manager closes ... screen goes black and blinks a couple of times and then I get a message saying the game has unexpectedly quit. Never had this issue with any other game. Very frustrating, as it seems like a good one.

FWIW: Windows 7 Enterprise Edition 64-bit; Intel Core i5-2540M @ 2.6GHz; 8GB RAM

~H

Heidsterr, I had the same problem. You have to allow the game access to the internet. If your firewall is blocking it (which mine was), the game will not launch. It's a pain, but Customer Service has assured me that it is safe to allow this game to access the internet.

Edited on 11/28/2012 at 3:52:11 PM PST

shagwendy
Stingray
Stingray
4,926 Posts

[Post New]by shagwendy on Dec 1, 12 4:04 AM
Does that mean we can't play offline? I travel and don't have internet all the time.

Frogdice
Starfish
Starfish
54 Posts

[Post New]by Frogdice on Dec 1, 12 10:39 PM
shagwendy wrote:Does that mean we can't play offline? I travel and don't have internet all the time.

Please make sure you report this to Big Fish Tech Support.

We did not code anything into Tower of Elements that requires an internet connection, so having to do that is really weird.

Definitely report it to Big Fish tech support and see what they say.

Thanks and have fun!

Daisy_May
Stingray
Stingray
5,050 Posts

[Post New]by Daisy_May on Dec 2, 12 6:19 AM
Thanks Frogdice for replying promptly to Wendy's question .

I had always intended to buy but had been waiting for a new punchcard month. I had been about to buy this with a punchcard coupon yesterday but I then I saw this issue mentioned & I held off because I would not buy if had to be connected to internet - I feel it shouldn't be necessary (and am glad to see that you did not code it that way ).

I had already run out of demo on the day of release (played while internet happened to be on) so couldn't try it with my internet off & I checked again today hoping to see a reply so that I could buy it while the BF bonus punch weekend is still on.

That's why I really appreciate the weekend reply. Off to buy it now .

Sorry I can't add a forum review for you at the moment: I never do the game page ones, but I used to try to make a point of doing a detailed forum one when a new (to BF) developer produced a game that I liked enough to buy. Unfortunately I don't get much posting time at the moment so I have had to stop reviewing for now. Shouldn't really be posting today at all, but was posting an update on something else & wanted to let you know that your reply was appreciated.

ETA (Hi Wendy )

Edited on 12/02/2012 at 6:50:46 AM PST

Frogdice
Starfish
Starfish
54 Posts

[Post New]by Frogdice on Dec 2, 12 10:32 PM
Daisy_May wrote:
I had already run out of demo on the day of release (played while internet happened to be on) so couldn't try it with my internet off & I checked again today hoping to see a reply so that I could buy it while the BF bonus punch weekend is still on.

That's why I really appreciate the weekend reply. Off to buy it now .

Thank you so much!

As a new developer here (though not new overall), we absolutely treasure every single new customer. Thank you!

vannojo
Lobster
Lobster
91 Posts

[Post New]by vannojo on Apr 1, 13 11:33 AM
I just purchased this game on the advice of another player. It is terrific in both concept and execution.

Suggestion for the future: Some of us play on laptops with smaller screens. It would be great if the spell tiles at the bottom of the screen were accompanied by a numerical counter. On a small screen, it is difficult to tell when the tile is completely highlighted and the spell is powered up.

Question: When the piles of gold appear after a monster is killed, if you are unable to click on it before it disappears, do you still get credit for the gold?

Again, congratulations on a great game. I look forward to your next offering.

Ceasare

Go to: