[Post New]by WolfenRaindancer on Nov 3, 12 7:40 PM

Edited on 11/05/2012 at 3:48:54 AM PST

chickenjools
Squid
Squid
74 Posts

Re:Reviews for Mystery of the Ancients:Curse of the Black Water

[Post New]by chickenjools on Nov 4, 12 6:17 AM
I really loved this game. Others have commented on the graphics, music and gameplay so I won't repeat here other than to say I thought it was excellent all round.

I'm glad I bought the CE as the bonus game is great. It took me about an hour to finish it. The HOGS in the bonus chapter were kind of interactive fragmented objects and I liked them.

I'm not a fan of HOGS generally but accept them as part of the adventure game genre but these were fine. I played on casual and didn't activate a click penalty in spite of random clicking. The objects were all easy to find.

The puzzles ranged from very easy to do-able.

I thought it was a beautiful game and I highly recommend you at least do the trial.

NB: I didn't find all the turtles so don't know if you get a prize or not! Might have to play it again to see if i can find them all!!

Edited on 11/04/2012 at 6:18:59 AM PST

Tiger2010
Whale Shark
Whale Shark
16,624 Posts

[Post New]by Tiger2010 on Nov 7, 12 1:31 PM
What a Kraken game... sorry, I meant 'What a cracking game!" Beautiful graphics, interactive map, lovely background music and not too many H0S. This is more of an adventure/puzzle and achievements and additional items to collect always add that extra something to the overall enjoyment.

In the main game I counted 11 H0S and 23 puzzles. The bonus had just 3 H0S, but they were wonderfully interactive, and 10 puzzles.

It's a good length too - main game around 5 1/4 hours, bonus around 1 1/4 hours. This is actually one of those games (for me at least) where the bonus is almost better than the main event.

I'd definitely recommend this for a fun half day of entertainment.

qpr1
Clownfish
Clownfish
733 Posts

[Post New]by qpr1 on Nov 7, 12 8:52 PM
excellent game, the demo i finished in 50 mins, had no idea about collecting turtles!
will buy either half price sale or get the se

Valdy
Marlin
Marlin
9,383 Posts

[Post New]by Valdy on Nov 12, 12 2:09 PM
I decided to buy the CE today, because I was in need of a really good game, hoping I wouldn't regret it.

And WOW !! What a fantastic game !! I loved, loved LOVED everything about it. What graphics, what animations !!

It took me 4 hours to play the main game (skipping quite a few puzzles), and it took me a good hour to play the bonus game.

And WOW !! again !! What a Bonus game. I wouldn't have wanted to miss this one for anything. Well... almost anything. It's one of the best Bonus games I have ever played.

And I loved, loved, LOVED the 3 HOS in the bonus game. So different from the ones in the main game. So much FUN !! So wonderfully done !!

Oh... and I read that several peeps didn't get all 39 turtles, but only found 38...

I found all 39 turtles. There were 39 different places to go to, and each one had a turtle.

I will end my rambling with stating that this is one of the best games I have ever played. Am sooooo glad I bought the CE.

FORTUNATUS
Clownfish
Clownfish
883 Posts

[Post New]by FORTUNATUS on Nov 14, 12 3:01 PM
I just have to say, this is one of the BEST GAMES I've played.

I AM LOVING THIS GAME!!!

The attention to detail and ambiance, storyline, pacing, SFX, music.... EVERYTHING about it is TOP NOTCH.

MY FAVORITE GAME SO FAR (though I'm not completely finished)... had to stop playing to rave about it.

YAY! LOVIN IT!

NiceZombie
Guppy
Guppy
165 Posts

[Post New]by NiceZombie on Nov 16, 12 5:45 AM
Excellent game!

I loved the scenery, graphics and art; all were crystal clear; the animations were one of the best I have ever seen in games like these!!! Seriously, that first scene where you see the giant crystal, I was very impressed by it; it was so beautiful! So shiny, I couldn't look away from it.

Very fun puzzles and hidden object scenes and I loved the hidden turtles. I loved using the little crystal to help overcome obstacles (possessed statues etc), nice mechanic.
Achievements were a great bonus, I managed to get them all, nice rewards, even that big blue gem wow!

Nice story too, a bit Lovecraftian (with Dagon and the ancient ones) and the map was very interactive and helpful; I loved how it revealed each area one by one, so as to keep the whole island a surprise!

One of the best games, no glitches/bugs at all, very high-quality!

Now off to play the bonus game

Oh my, just finished the bonus; what a great game! Wonderful graphics and animations of the three spirits, superb scenery, the three very interactive and different ''HO'' scenes, just breath-taking SUPER GAME!

Edited on 11/16/2012 at 7:18:00 AM PST

lvfao
Parrotfish
Parrotfish
499 Posts

[Post New]by lvfao on Nov 17, 12 11:39 AM
love this game, great hos, great puzzles with beautiful graphics, interesting story line, these dev's totally rocked it!

jjj13
Squid
Squid
68 Posts

[Post New]by jjj13 on Nov 21, 12 3:33 PM
Excellent. Well worth the money.

[Post New]by whirled_peas on Nov 23, 12 1:22 PM
This game was pretty good. I liked the map that would let you jump (although I didn't find that out until halfway through the game! goofy me) and it also showed you where you missed a turtle. I managed to find them all which I enjoy doing. The puzzles were okay but the hidden objects, though slightly interactive, were somewhat boring - but - at least there weren't too many of them. Nice scenery. It made my computer sound like a jet engine, but at least it was a small jet.

LuckyKK
Minnow
Minnow
257 Posts

[Post New]by LuckyKK on Nov 24, 12 2:15 PM
lym_1609 - I noticed that stingray had posted that the location of all the turtles is on the map - "Click on the green cross (your position)," among other things.
I myself love the Interactive Maps. Of course, I also like the Hints to show you what direction you need to go - outside of the HOs, rather than 'nothing to do here', etc. Guess you can't have everything tho. lol

JulieJay
Catfish
Catfish
1,555 Posts

[Post New]by JulieJay on Nov 25, 12 12:14 PM
This is what a CE is all about! It has everything.

HO scenes - find by list - interactive
Map - shows where you have things to do and transportable to boot!
Voiceovers in the cut scenes
Achievements to earn
Find 39 turtles
Graphics great

Definitely worth the CE price IMO. Why can't other devs follow this pattern?

[Post New]by seawood211 on Dec 10, 12 1:51 PM
Has anyone else had issues in lighting the fuse in the cave? My lighter is not working.. any suggestions on what I may be doing wrong?

lisablue4369
Flounder
Flounder
2,105 Posts

[Post New]by lisablue4369 on Dec 24, 12 4:44 AM
this is a very good HOS game, love finding turtles.-------------doug & lisa

gingergal
Manatee
Manatee
3,873 Posts

[Post New]by gingergal on Jan 8, 13 11:30 PM
A GREAT EXAMPLE OF WHAT A CE SHOULD BE..

This is a very good HOPA and for a CE has all the extras which makes the CE worth it and not just the SE. It’s more adventure with some puzzles (22 puzzles and only 11 HOS) which is my type of game.

The plot was good but a bit abrupt at the end. I wished it was fleshed out a bit more throughout the game, but after playing bonus, none of the main characters were in the bonus so that aspect doesn’t change. I just thought it was a good plot so would have liked more of it. It isn’t in the demo but there is dark ‘spirit’ in this game, so it has dark elements to it.

This game has a lot of variety of areas which is great and it also has a very good transporter map with hints in it. There are three modes of play which is explained but note hardcore has no skip or hint button, so if you just don’t want sparkles you can choose “advanced” the middle option as you can’t change your option once you start.

22 PUZZLES (roughly I think I’m out by a couple, I class a puzzle if it has a skip button)

Thank you devs! A wide variety of hardness but mostly in the medium and medium/hard for a HOPA. There is also a wide variety of types of puzzles, from logical to arcade and even one hard (for me) timed puzzle. I loved the puzzles, it made the game for me. There were some old ones but it was mixed in with some types that aren’t that common. I thought it was a perfect hardness, easy enough not to be frustrated but not so easy as to become boring. I played advanced (as I like the option of the skip or hint button even if I rarely use it in any games) and with that timed puzzle was glad I did but did manage to do it.

11 HOS

Another reason why I enjoyed this game so much – no repeating of any scenes! YES – thank you! Due to the type of game graphics I thought they were clear enough and not that many junk pile, mostly cluttered. Interactive, all list type.

TBC

gingergal
Manatee
Manatee
3,873 Posts

[Post New]by gingergal on Jan 8, 13 11:31 PM
continued

CE EXTRAS and BONUS

39 turtles to collect. This is how collectables should be, challenging and not that obvious in quite a few scenes. I LOVED them, and they were the best collectables I can remember for a long time.

Collectables and achievements, having both makes a CE for me as not interested in anything else bar the bonus play. The one negative I have to say re the achievements is that 4 out of 15 of the achievements was time related. This isn’t a TM game so never understand why achievements are do a HOS in under a minute etc.

11 wallpaper
10 concept art
7 music

BONUS
(spoiler as to puzzle and HOS type)

It’s the best quality bonus I’ve played for ages, not because of plot but purely it was all in a new location and there were quite a few different scenes in the new locations as well. It wasn’t very long about 1hr 10mins but it was good and very well done. After the minimum amount of HOS in the main game it did feel like there were more re ratio as I counted 3 HOS but they were of a completely different kind than main game. They were all find the shapes, once you found a shape you then used that in the HOS to uncover or do something else to get another and so on. Highest interaction you can have.

The 10 puzzles in the bonus were good, I thought they were about medium hardness. They did repeat one kind 3 times – draw a line between each coloured gem but I love that puzzle and haven’t seen that in ages.

The puzzles and how the collectables were done made this game for me but the gameplay was good as well. It all depends on what you are interested in but I recommend it and it does deserve 5 stars for transporter map, great collectables, achievements, good puzzles, non repeating of HOS, a bit different plot, and good gameplay.

TIME 4HRS 45MINS (no hints except map hints and no skipping)
BONUS another 1hr 10 mins (same as above)

edit - I played the first mystery of the ancients SE (which I only gave 2 stars) the difference is night and day in improvement, so if you didn't like the first one do check this one out.

Edited on 01/08/2013 at 11:42:33 PM PST

banor
Squid
Squid
73 Posts

[Post New]by banor on Feb 18, 13 6:32 PM
I thought this was a good game great fun little creepy and stuff flying out at you not a big spider fan and did not like the little bugs Spent all day playing when I should have been cleaning my house on my day off oh well dust will still be here on the weekend

oscar66
Herring
Herring
307 Posts

[Post New]by oscar66 on Apr 13, 13 9:17 PM
I haven't been able to say this for a while, but I absolutely loved this game! I have never played a game where I felt I could turn right around and play it all over again. Really really enjoyed it.

marg6043
Clownfish
Clownfish
582 Posts

[Post New]by marg6043 on May 19, 13 12:13 PM
This game will keep you in the edge, I hate myself for no getting the Ce because the SE is worth every penny.

The mystery of the town will keep you hook until you find out what happen to the town and how the curse came to be.

Go to: