Plotbunny
Angelfish
Angelfish
1,042 Posts

Re:Reviews for Mysteries of the Mind: Coma Collector's Edition

[Post New]by Plotbunny on Nov 4, 12 4:13 PM
I didn't like it much myself. The graphics were okay but the storyline was weak.
Sad and angsty with it seemed characters competing to who could be more sorry. And the ones who are apologizing want you to accomplish tasks to prove how sorry THEY are! That makes sooo much sense, sheesh.
Illogical puzzles where one tool won't work but another almost identical tool will ie scissors vs shears. Hint button won't work in Hidden object scenes most of the time just to keep you guessing. In short couldn't get into the game and didn't care what was happening to the various characters.

I don't recommend this game

equusjoy
Minnow
Minnow
243 Posts

[Post New]by equusjoy on Nov 4, 12 4:16 PM

Edited on 11/05/2012 at 3:32:32 AM PST

kgustavson
Clownfish
Clownfish
630 Posts

[Post New]by kgustavson on Nov 4, 12 5:19 PM
Blech. No widescreen. 8 HO scenes in about 15 minutes. Definitely not CE caliber to me.

[Post New]by MarSeaNNC on Nov 4, 12 6:10 PM
I really wanted to like this game because I looked forward to getting 4 punches and paying a reduced price for a CE. Unfortunately, very shortly into the game, I found myself getting sleepy. I just couldn't get into the story and found it tedious to keep going back and forth from place to place around the mother's house. The HO scenes were cluttered, but, for the most part, I had no problems finding the objects. I did use the hint button a couple of times when I became impatient and it worked fine in the HO scenes and outside of them. One glitch occurred while I was in a HO scene. The cursor turned into a hand and wouldn't change back, even when I was finished with the HO scene. I just kept playing and the cursor finally corrected itself. I also checked out the SG and it seemed pretty easy to follow. The music was pleasant and fitting for the story, but nothing that stuck in my head.

I'm not going to purchase this game because I am not interested in finding out what happens. Like someone else said, the game seems more like a documentary. This would be ok if the story was more thrilling. Of course, my review is based on the demo, of which I played all but 2 minutes, so it is possible that the game may get better as it progresses. I'm not going to personally find out.

steve_san
Clownfish
Clownfish
586 Posts

[Post New]by steve_san on Nov 4, 12 6:39 PM
1. Widescreen. Had to comment about this. Looks beautifully widescreen to me on my 24" monitor. [Removed by Moderator]

2. The hidden object scenes are NOT "junkpile" for those who often complain about that (you know who you are!). They are very normal looking and require a lot of interaction, for me a plus.

3. When moving from scene to scene there was a bit of a lag for me which is very unusual, but not long enough to be a problem.

4. The initial opening of the game/menu was very well done.

5. The puzzels in the demo period were fairly easy, while the hidden object scenes were only moderately easy.

6. The story is about going back in time and making up for past mistakes, not new but its been a while since I've seen it.

Edited on 11/05/2012 at 12:54:20 AM PST

sackese
Starfish
Starfish
45 Posts

[Post New]by sackese on Nov 4, 12 11:20 PM
Not yet decided, but I have one thing which really annoys me, and that is the short musical scores, many not longer than 5 seconds. This is a huge distraction for me.

Please, in the future, make long scores of music!

shorenuf
Dolphin
Dolphin
7,281 Posts

[Post New]by shorenuf on Nov 5, 12 12:58 AM
[Removed by Moderator] Well, I played the demo. The graphics fit the mood, some of the animations are pretty high production. The game play is nothing we haven't seen. There is way too much guidance in the black bar info. The puzzles are standard fare. The HO scenes are interactive, but there are way to many of them. The story is creepy in a disturbing way. From the BFG description, it sounds like the main game would feel incomplete without the bonus chapter. No widescreen, some cursor issues, fade to and out of black between locations. I cannot recommend this game.

Edited on 11/06/2012 at 2:01:09 AM PST

lym_1609
Parrotfish
Parrotfish
431 Posts

[Post New]by lym_1609 on Nov 5, 12 4:42 AM
The recipe for a great game:
1) Add great graphics, preferably, almost live like eg, blowing curtains
2) Add great storyline
3) Hidden objects or inventory usage objects within HOS, eg, u need to place cereals, milk into a bowl to get milk cereal
4) Mid-diifficult mini puzzles that need a bit of brains
5) Easy navigation, u only need to move in a house, some sort of shed, playground

What have u got? A great game!

Annoying music though, but overall ENJOY IT!

shagwendy
Stingray
Stingray
4,926 Posts

[Post New]by shagwendy on Nov 5, 12 5:25 AM
I love the theme, the music seems a little depressing, but at least the story is something different for a change. It plays a little slow on my laptop, but it's bearable. I love the hint button, it shows you a scene where you have something that needs doing and then takes you there if you wish. I'm not crazy about HO scenes, and I hate when the extras are locked, so I will not purchase as a CE. When the standard edition comes out I will probably get it, as it seems like an actual story instead of the usual "save the child from the evil person trying to steal her soul so he can have eternal youth/life".

[Post New]by NancySusan on Nov 5, 12 5:41 AM
I betaed this game, and only played the demo 22 minutes, before exiting and deleting it from my computer. Didn't love this at all, mom looked a whole lot older than 73; what 73 year old widow keeps a piranha as a pet (????); not great graphics, and a bit too many HOS's, to mention a few annoyances. Mostly it was, for what was otherwise an interesting concept, not that gripping a game and pretty formulaic. For people who like the game, I never needed the SG, and I'm not sure if it's useful, so this might be a good value as an SE. I can see that some would probably enjoy it -- just not me. Sorry.

maziemom
Seahorse
Seahorse
30 Posts

[Post New]by maziemom on Nov 5, 12 7:02 AM
I am liking this game so far. There are a lot of HO scenes; hence the name Hidden Object Game, and in my opinion they are good ones. The one drawback I've found is that at the beginning when you are choosing your gameplay mode, the advanced says hints and skips recharge more slowly. That's what I wanted, but on the fuse box puzzle, there is no skip available at all. Nor can I see a reset button to get all the lights off, to be able to try the combination shown in the SG. So in order to progress, it looks like I will have to go back to the beginning of the game and create a new player and start over in standard mode. Am I the only one dealing with this?

steve_san
Clownfish
Clownfish
586 Posts

[Post New]by steve_san on Nov 5, 12 4:33 PM

Edited on 11/06/2012 at 2:02:10 AM PST

psylocibin
Guppy
Guppy
130 Posts

[Post New]by psylocibin on Nov 5, 12 7:33 PM
boring in all aspects nothing makes sense as to where to go or what to do. Definitely not a buy at any price.

Cobweb55
Minnow
Minnow
256 Posts

[Post New]by Cobweb55 on Nov 5, 12 8:02 PM
Pretty mediocre. Long play only because it didn't grab me an suck me in... I kept walking away from it...

Widescreen opened immediately, but the lag between scenes was very irritating. Nice graphics, but weak story line. Bonus game didn't add to the story line, IMHO. Game was fairly linear. Glad I didn't pay full price, but don't think it was worth the $9.99... Double punch lessened the pain a bit...

Definitely try before you buy, even in advanced mode, this was super easy. I never used a hint or looked at the SG.... Very disappointing. Zero replay for me on this one...

Lady_Cav
Barracuda
Barracuda
3,363 Posts

[Post New]by Lady_Cav on Nov 6, 12 6:58 AM
I bought this at the reduced sale price and for the bonus punch. It wasn't long before I tired of this game. It just didn't have the pizzazz we have become used to in recent games. Story line was just okay, nothing to keep me anxious to see what happens next. As mentioned by others before me, many times the hint button quits working or the pointer remains a hand or moving gear icon and I had to leave the scene a couple of clicks and go back to the scene.

Far too many h.o. scenes!! I got half way through the bonus and it's just one h.o. scene after another. I buy a lot of games and enjoy hidden objects sprinkled in, along with some adventure and traveling to and fro, but honestly, this was enough to put me off h.o.'s for a while. I didn't even finish the bonus and just deleted the game. Sorry, but this game was a disappointment.

care___916
Clownfish
Clownfish
988 Posts

[Post New]by care___916 on Nov 6, 12 7:27 AM
I hope I purchased this game on the ce sale and didnt pay full pop for a ce. I know its just a game but storyline a little sad for me. Give me spooky games anytime. I was really disappointed in the bonus section and it felt like it was very short and really not worth the ce.

I usually like this dev. games.

Have a fun game day

bessiegirl
Clownfish
Clownfish
738 Posts

[Post New]by bessiegirl on Nov 6, 12 8:24 AM
Well, definately not CE material...glad it was discounted, but would have been a good SE. Enjoyed the game a lot but for a CE is was very short including the bonus game. Quite a few HOS but they were interactive so it wasn't so bad. Items could be very small and the graphics were not as sharp as I've seen in other games. Interesting story but I am really getting tired of car crash beginnings. One would think as creative as the devs are they could come up with more varied beginnings.

Mini games were easy and if you didn't want to deal with some of the more tedious ones the SKIP refreshes really quick as does the HINT. No map so you will need the hint to move you around and it actually works as a jump scene so they game moves along smoothly.

Did not feel any frustration dealing with this game and music was pleasant. I always turn off voice overs from the beginning so I cannot comment on those. I give this game a 3 only because it was so short and like mentioned before, not CE quality...I would have been very upset if I had paid full price here.

MsNetty61
Guppy
Guppy
190 Posts

[Post New]by MsNetty61 on Nov 6, 12 12:17 PM
NO, DEFINATELY NOT, NO
too long between cut scenes, HOS nothing special, didn't really care much about the characters. The initial idea seemed good, but not very well executed. I felt the graphics were not up to a CE standard, and I dont think I'd even buy it as an SE.
sorry devs, try again

dancemom1
Angelfish
Angelfish
1,198 Posts

[Post New]by dancemom1 on Nov 8, 12 4:47 PM
Been out of town babysitting grandkids, so just now got to demo. Nice graphice and game play. However...too much unnecessary running back and forth. Made no sense as to why you went from the kitchen to the playground, etc. HOGs are junk piles, but easy to find items. Games same old, same old.

Not sure about the ghosts floating in and out...didn't follow that either. This one just didn't grab me and make me want to buy it now, no matter how cheap it was. I may get the SE when it comes out, but not sure about that either.

As always, try it for your self and see what you think. We all have different tastes in games and you may like this one. Thanks for the reviews.

[Post New]by quarlesqueen on Nov 9, 12 2:28 PM
Well I guess I am the odd ball on this one, because I enjoyed the game, the only thing that I wasn't happy about, was that I felt it was short, for a CE, even at the sale price.

And I really loved doing the interactive H0 scenes, there wasn't to many for me, as I am more of a H0 lover, than pure adventure.
Also, I found the music soothing, for my nerves, which is always a bonus, now a days, with so much stress going on, in our daily lives, well mine anyway.
LOVED the special little touches, especially in the girls bedroom, and closet, that was my favorite part, the moving objects when you moved your cousor around.
I didn't find it depressing, again I guess I am an odd ball..lol, nothing new there, but I finished the game and bonus, and I must say, I wasn't sorry I purchased it.

I do however feel that the developers need to improve on a couple of things, the cousor not changing back to pointer, even though this did not effect my game play, I just kept playing, and it worked itself out, causing no problems, it still needs to be addressed.
Also, If the game is that short, sell it as a SE, not a CE, and I don't rush through games either, it was just to short, plain and simple.
Besides those small quibbles, I enjoyed playing this one, and am not sorry I purchased it, I did like the game play, this one had to offer.

So, if your an odd ball like me, give it a try, you might enjoy it, I know I did .

Go to: