boofycat
Minnow
Minnow
267 Posts

Re:Reviews for Forbidden Secrets: Alien Town Collector's Edition

[Post New]by boofycat on Nov 11, 12 5:21 PM
Based on 45 minutes of the trial, I agree with most reviewers that the game is smooth and clear, and the map is a definite bonus BUT, after all the colourful games we have had recently I found the scenery dull and depressing. Maybe it's just me but I play games to lift my spirits and provide enjoyment as well as exercising my brain. Abandoned towns have been done in other games without being depressing (dare I mention Phantasmat). I may buy this game when I am desparate because I like the Midwitch Cuckoos and Children of the Damned.

abarrett
Clownfish
Clownfish
990 Posts

[Post New]by abarrett on Nov 11, 12 7:18 PM
I really enjoyed playing the demo. I usually play with the sound off, but I put the sound on and put on my headset. What a beautifully done game. The storyline is one that seems to not been done in a while. I couldn't help but compare the storyline of this game to the storyline being speculated for the new Mystery Case Files.

dlcoyte
Guppy
Guppy
118 Posts

[Post New]by dlcoyte on Nov 11, 12 8:08 PM
Well the first few People told you everythng it has so no need to repeat that.
For Me Pros:
1) Beautiful sharp detailed graphics and with the morphing objects (and map to show if you missed any) I tend to spend more time in a scene when they have extras to find and you really take in the detail of the scene that you may normally only been in for seconds..

2) Music was creepyish (not english but i make up my own words) and made the game flow better and scared me at times. The music did change throughout the different scenes. Some developers have the same music the Whole Game! (Bore fest)

3) Mini games were fun... Hogs I would have liked to seen it Less interactive. Some of the hogs are objects at the bottom that you find in the scene where it would go. Ex: an egg you would look for a nest or a egg holder in the scene and then Place it.
(I like the reg hogs with the List"

Cons:
1) Would have liked to see a locking Inventory Bar. I use them sometimes and take them off when its in the way.

2) Didnt really use the strategy guide ( I did the game in advanced), but I saw the chapters and they dont have a page just showing where the morphing objects are. But PRO: the very interactive MAP shows you where you have ones to get.

Im enjoying this game - Purchase without even demoing it!... Played most of day and not done yet with main game but almost. Taking my time enjoying the detailed scenes. & I Really really try not to use hints or skips. Deb

debraljensen
Squid
Squid
75 Posts

[Post New]by debraljensen on Nov 12, 12 12:23 AM
Many many Games I love but this I rate NO 1
Debbie

[Post New]by NancySusan on Nov 12, 12 6:20 AM
I really wanted to like this game, after the mostly excellent reviews. I'm a big fan of the Midwich Cuckoos and Children of the Damned (original), but the demo doesn't give that away, other than 10 orphans are involved. I played virtually the entire demo (lost a few minutes to do a task away from the computer), but I found myself not really liking the game that much. It felt kind of formulaic -- do a HOS, go somewhere, go back, finish a task and look for this game's version of a morphing object (mostly well-hidden, and I did use the SG to help find these -- usually I can find them on my own pretty easily). The hint button works quite well, and the map is excellent. However, why this game was set in 1969 is anyone's guess -- nothing in the part of the game I played owed anything to 1969. Oh yes, and in 1920 or whenever the unit our protagonist belongs to was formed, no one even used the word "bio" anything, other than maybe biology. Really anachronistic. Given the unremitting darkness of the game (why would a town only recently abandoned -- if it has been -- look so decayed and decrepit?), and the mostly easy gameplay, I'm passing on this one. However, I'm pretty sure that a lot of people will enjoy it, so have fun with it

Sherryah
Parrotfish
Parrotfish
479 Posts

[Post New]by Sherryah on Nov 12, 12 9:22 AM
sunnyglow wrote:I usually love Alwar games. I am in the minority on this game as well, I suppose. I dislike this game for two reasons. The first is that it is too dark. I hate playing games with depressing scenes that look like slums which have been bombed and left to disintegrate. I started the game and it looked like it would be promising - then you get to the city to only find half standing buildings with cobwebs and debris strewn all over the place. It is a dark game which appeals to some. The second reason is that I really hate a series of puzzles which require mechanical operations. Looking for batteries and soldering irons is not my idea of a fun game. Sorry, but this is a pass for me even with the discount.

I agree with the above poster. First the pros of the game.
I the storyline it is very interesting.
I the voice overs they are very well done.
I the bland coloring used in all the graphics. I prefer more eye appealing graphics. The story could have been told and remained interesting by using beautifully colored graphics. In my opinion the graphics are dull and lifeless not beautifully done like in Game Developers other games.

I I also would have liked less mechanical assembly required, it is not fun for me.

The Game Designer could have told the same story and used colorful graphics even for a deserted town.

I hate The hidden object screens the objects are harder to find because of the dull boring dark colors.

This game has a great storyline and I do buy games for the storyline especially with voices. I will not be buying this one for the above reasons. I own every collector thus far, but I will wait for this to go on sale.

It is a shame because the voices in the game they are very well done. I hope the Game Developer will not make this a habit of using dark, dreary, lifeless, colors and boring mechanical assembly of objects, a little of mechanical assembly is tolerated but it is not my favorite kind of puzzle.

Sherryah
Parrotfish
Parrotfish
479 Posts

[Post New]by Sherryah on Nov 12, 12 10:04 AM
I own all of this Game Developers games and I appreciate their quality game testing, they do not use their customers for beta testing!

I hate the Game Designer chose to use the most depressing, dark bluish graphics even in the hidden object screens it takes the fun out of the hidden object scenes they are dreary,lifeless, static graphics.

This game has a interesting storyline I buy games for the storyline especially with voices. I will not be buying Collectors Edition for the above reasons. I own every collector Edition thus far, but I will wait for this to go on sale. It is a shame because the voices in the game are very well done. I hope the Game Developer will not make this a habit of using dark, dreary, lifeless, colors and boring mechanical assembly of objects in future games. In my opinion a little of mechanical assembly is tolerated but this game carries it to the extreme.

I love the storyline it is very interesting.
I love the map and the way we can jump instantly to location.
I love the voice overs they are very well done.

I own every game from this Developer and the majority are beautiful colored graphics with beautiful animation. It is a shame the G.D did not continue to use beautiful colored graphics in this game.

This Game could have been so much more interesting to play if they had changed colors in the graphics and used more animation. I hate the bland lifeless colors used in all the graphics. The story could show a deserted town and remained interesting by using beautifully colored graphics. In my opinion the graphics are dull and lifeless not beautifully done like in Game Developers other games.

I hate all the mechanical assembly required, it is not fun for me.
Editing because I do want to add

I appreciate the hidden object screens are not just find this item on the list, it is interactive I love to figure out the 2 objects that interact with each other, this is my favorite type of hidden object screen. The lifeless colors chosen and lack of animation ruined it for me.

Edited on 11/12/2012 at 10:10:58 AM PST

NiceZombie
Guppy
Guppy
165 Posts

[Post New]by NiceZombie on Nov 13, 12 12:54 AM
Wow, what a great game!!

I loved the sci-fi mystery story with a 60's feel and the end chapter spoiler which takes place in space!was impressive, a great finale, almost like a movie. The animations were very well done, loved the music and sound effects. The graphics/art are crystal clear, very beautiful.

I really enjoyed all the hidden object scenes, they were interesting, a lot of them were the ''put things back into scene'' kind which I love !! The puzzles and minigames were fun too, I didn't have to skip a single one and that is great.

The map was one of the best I've seen, very helpful, also to find the Morphing Objects.

I had a lot of fun with this game and look forward to the next from these high-quality developers. And I will never get bored with a good sci-fi story!

Fantastic game

Just wanted to add: no glitches, bugs or anything like that, at all! A very polished and finished game. And the bonus chapter was great too, pretty long, and nice story with the Indians.

Edited on 11/13/2012 at 4:55:16 AM PST

[Post New]by biscuitsmama on Nov 13, 12 4:46 PM
I really liked this game. A nice LONG game to play and not one to just rush through. I think the storyline is great. Love sci-fi themed games. The graphics and animation are excellent. LOVED the map. Since this game has a lot of places to visit, the map was super helpful.

IMHO, the developer really put a lot of thought into this game and gave us what most of us want when it comes to games: widescreen, morphing objects, a map that jumps, voice overs, excellent storyline, great graphics, interactive HOS, fun puzzles, super soundtrack and wonderful game play. Who could ask for more?

The puzzles were fun and only skipped one since I sometimes have a problem getting my mouse to do what I want. LOL

This game was two days of fun. Hopefully, we will have more games like this in the future. Thanks BFG!

[Post New]by Underthebridge on Nov 16, 12 2:54 PM
Thank you ...it is great that this game came along..it is refreshing to have a change in venue..(sp)?? it is greatly appreciated... ..do enjoy putting the items in the HO's and different action of play throughout and not the same ole same ole...thanks again and keep up the excellent work..

[Post New]by whirled_peas on Nov 17, 12 10:29 PM
I enjoyed this game very much. It didn't make my computer sound like a jet engine. The HOS weren't too many and they were differently done and interactive which makes them more interesting. Loved the puzzles. Also loved that the map, besides allowing jumping, showed you where you may have missed a morphing object. I am frustrated in many games not finding them all and at least this option gives you a fighting chance. Great game - quite a long one for me.

diwlaw
Seahorse
Seahorse
34 Posts

[Post New]by diwlaw on Nov 24, 12 2:02 PM
Just an update for the developers, the Cuban Missile Crisis 1962 (not 1959). Really enjoyed the game. Hidden ojects were interesting, puzzles were good and the graphics were nice too. A fine game.

[Post New]by terrymb on Dec 16, 12 3:48 PM
Definite 6 out of 5! A little extra money but worth it. Fast paced; lots of variety; good storyline. Liked having the map that could "fast forward" you to the areas you needed to be. Wish all games would incorporate that as a default. Recommend it. Will definitely look for other games by this developer.

Edited on 12/16/2012 at 3:51:36 PM PST

lisablue4369
Flounder
Flounder
2,105 Posts

[Post New]by lisablue4369 on Jan 6, 13 11:57 AM
This was a great game, and we loved to find all the morphing objects. GREAT hos game.--------------doug & lisa

[Post New]by feenix2011 on Jan 9, 13 8:58 PM
Enjoyed this game. It definitely seemed to be slightly influenced by the "Village of the Damned" and "Children of the Damned" movies. Even their clothes were similar. But other than the children, it took on a whole new twist. Very nice graphics, alot of different scenes - not staying in one theme for the whole game. It was very enjoyable to play, nice fairly easy mini-games and enough of them to keep me happy!! Not too many HOS, also kept me happy!! All in all a big I feel I have lucked out on the last few games I have played. Really a good time. Thanks BF!!!

feenix

peggyjuneybug
Squid
Squid
76 Posts

[Post New]by peggyjuneybug on Jan 10, 13 1:57 PM
katejoe999 wrote:I beta'd this game and have been eagerly awaiting it. I highly recommend it.
It seems to be based on a book I read in school - The Midwich Cuckoos - or at least has elements of that story. I find the story a refreshing change and enjoyed the good ole boy farmer character :-)

It is like The Midwich Cuckoos

Which was made into the movie Village Of The Damned.

[Post New]by feenix2011 on Jan 10, 13 11:04 PM
Finished the Bonus Game - took me about 45 minutes. It was O.K., answered how the children got delivered to the orphanage. Honestly, tho, I don't think it was really necessary to "get closure" to the story. And I just have to add, even tho I think I'm in the minority here, I HATE the HOS where you have to find where to put the objects in the strip. It comes down to "where do I think this should go and where do the Devs think this should go?" Sometimes its obvious - sometimes not. I find it aggravating and slows down the whole rhythem of the game. But, as I mentioned before, I basically had a good time playing, liked the graphics alot and "yeah", another good game!!

feenix

gingergal
Manatee
Manatee
3,873 Posts

[Post New]by gingergal on Jan 11, 13 10:42 PM
I should have stuck with my first instincts of this game, that the graphics are dreary and thought the puzzles were boring and the HOS was mostly junkpile. The plot was good and it’s a good length game but that was about it.

I bought the CE as it had morphs but even the morphs were not well done. The icon changed when it went over a morph and mostly it was in dark shadows so it was really hard to see. I like collectables/morphs to be a challenge but I prefer it not to solely rely on darkness to do this.

I thought it was great that the transporter map had two different choices on it, one for morph tips and one for things to do in a scene. You can turn both on or off during the game and I wish every DEV would do this.

I know a lot of people like their challenge to be purely memory and don’t mind loads of backtracking. If you like that then this game delivers. I prefer my gameplay and puzzles to be more of a challenge. The backtracking in this was HUGE even with a map, backtrack for one thing then go somewhere else. This makes it more bitty for me and just didn’t have a good flow for my taste. This game just did not keep my attention due to this.

I feel this developer has done better graphics in the past, and this is apart from the dreary look.

29 PUZZLES
(has a skip button)

The puzzles by the end I wanted to scream if I saw one more puzzle “you’ve seen this combination before.” They were so easy it was boring and also kept repeating a certain type – swap tiles/rings etc. At the beginning there was hardly any ‘puzzles’ and I don’t class looking up a combination in your journal as a puzzle and there were LOADS of ‘puzzles’ like that. There were about 3 or 4 arcade type. I prefer logical, work out puzzles rather than guess the right sequence etc. Apart from 1 or 2 puzzles I did not like them at all. You also have auto tips on hard mode which you should have an info button to bring up this info without it automatically being given.

to be continued

gingergal
Manatee
Manatee
3,873 Posts

[Post New]by gingergal on Jan 11, 13 10:43 PM
continued

19 HOS

9 reverse (put an item back in a scene)
10 list type

Most were repeated, do one list then it’s repeated as a reverse scene. There is no random click penalty on the hard mode (choice of two modes you have). A lot was in the junk pile realm, some very small items. I personally didn’t like the look of most of them even though the reverse kind is my favourite kind of HOS.

BONUS EXTRAS & GAME

Apart from the usual (SG, wallpaper, concept art) the only real extra was 40 morphs and they have done it better in their other games, unless you love looking at shadows.

I wouldn’t have really known that the plot was tied up in the main game until I played the bonus which was just a backstory and although it added slightly to the overall story it wasn’t worth it re plot alone and in the middle just got weird for me. But then I rarely think a bonus is worth it on plot alone. I did get 1hr 10mins out of the bonus and mostly it was in a new area and the graphics did actually have some colour to it.

HOS

4 list
3 reverse kind

One of the scenes it was the third time you played it as it was one you played in main game twice already. You repeat each scene, so the list became reverse
9 Puzzles

Three arcade, configurations, swap tiles/things around to make image

TIME main game over 5 hrs
BONUS another 1hr 10 mins

I’m not recommending the CE as it is double price than a SE, the morphs wasn’t that well done and I just wasn’t loving gameplay to even overlook the other things. Even though the bonus had new area and it was over an hour.

roaming
Clownfish
Clownfish
644 Posts

[Post New]by roaming on Apr 13, 13 1:21 AM
I loved the CE demo, but I'll wait to get the SE. I like the dark, spooky atmosphere. Interesting that when you need to zoom in on something, it's very easy to see what you need to see, are the HOS. I kept thinking, man, this woman is intrepid, going in where I'd be terrified to go. The story grabbed me that much! I can't wait for the SE to come out!!

Go to: