Jurinne
Clownfish
Clownfish
606 Posts

Re:Reviews for Haunted Legends: The Undertaker Collector's Edition

[Post New]by Jurinne on Nov 15, 12 4:14 PM
(Based on the demo): I paid attention when I saw the title of this game. This is what I love - eerie and creepy. When I started to play I noticed that this is another game from the well-known "rabbit" devs (am I allowed to use the name?). Although they are not my favorite devs I can be pretty sure that anything they offer will be good.

The storyline is interesting and creepy.

The graphics are fantastic!!

There are some puzzles I haven't seen before (but then I'm just a beginner).

There is no rapid clicking penalty in the HOS!

The Hint Button refills rather quickly. I didn't time it because I didn't even need it in the HOS. Colors are bright; I was not overwhelmed with a million objects and told to find a needle. These HOS are pleasant and not too taxing or frustrating.

The monkey is obnoxious. Cute, but obnoxious. Still he may be there for a reason and it's always interesting to play around to see what will happen. The dwarf is back and as nasty as usual.

The only negative I have found is that the play is rather clumsy at times. It's like I have to wait for the cursor to change into a hand before I can pick up items. I keep trying to pick them up but can't and then suddenly the cursor becomes a hand. I hope I'm not missing out on any items because of this. It's like the game stutters a bit. I haven't seen this problem in other games from this dev.

I'm also questioning the difficulty factor. So far this game is extremely easy. Find an object and it will be used almost immediately. I'm not good at puzzles but the ones I've seen have been either extremely easy or too difficult because I don't understand the instructions.

The SG is right there (you don't have to leave the game to access it).

As for length - I'm wondering about that, too. I want the CE (of course!) but is it worth the extra cost? From this dev - probably.

Overall this appears to be the type of game these devs are known for - pleasant and fun. I will definitely purchase the game and probably the CE (if I can).

Thanks, devs, and BF for offering this game. I'm looking forward to playing it.

Edited on 11/15/2012 at 4:16:06 PM PST

marg6043
Clownfish
Clownfish
582 Posts

[Post New]by marg6043 on Nov 15, 12 4:15 PM
Another excellent game in the saga, I love the littler evil thing, he is so funny and evil at the same time.

The graphics are gorgeous and the game is off the chart.

Nice story sequel, the death come to lifeabsolutelyugeniusious, love it, love it, love it.

Another winner.

schobey
Guppy
Guppy
158 Posts

[Post New]by schobey on Nov 15, 12 7:11 PM
Kudos and ERS. Another winner. Really good long game. Enjoyed

Tiger2010
Whale Shark
Whale Shark
16,624 Posts

[Post New]by Tiger2010 on Nov 16, 12 4:41 AM
Our favourite evil gnome is back for another adventure and this time he's more wicked than ever.

I really enjoyed this offering from E.R.S. Yes, they are all becoming much of a muchness and they aren't the most difficult games to tax the brain cells, least of all the puzzles. And yet, the voiceovers are always well done, I never mind the music and I enjoy their particular brand of graphics.

This is a good long main game; around 5 hours with a bonus of just under an hour. I counted 16 H0S in the main game, which are divided equally between lists of items to find and silhouette scenes (which are very interactive). Once again, we have more puzzles than H0S - 19 in the main game. The bonus has 4 H0S and 6 puzzles.

There are two things I still very much enjoy about games from this developer: you are able to use items straightaway, even if you still need 3 emblems to open that door; meaning your Inventory does not become too clogged up. Secondly, when you are done finding items in a window it closes right away.

Definitely another good game from this game studio.

lackoo
Pufferfish
Pufferfish
1,430 Posts

[Post New]by lackoo on Nov 16, 12 10:41 AM
Played the trial version .

- no true widescreen support
- the same old lifeless colours
- annoying music
- irritating monkey character

Typical ERS quality .

steve_san
Clownfish
Clownfish
586 Posts

[Post New]by steve_san on Nov 16, 12 12:33 PM
Can't make up my mind on this one. Without repeating everything already reviewed, here is my overall impression:

1. Hidden Object scenes - easy
2. Overall game play and use of objects - easy
2. Puzzles - difficult (or at least time consuming).

Perhaps they made the puzzles harder so the gameplay would be longer? Frankly I get no pleasure out of clicking on multiple rotating puzzles endlessly to achieve some result. At least put them later in the game, not in the demo period. But this is personal taste and some do enjoy this I'm sure.

Also, the game handles the zombie factor without beeing too creepy, so good job with that.

[Post New]by kris_cross48 on Nov 16, 12 1:57 PM
I do love the graphics on these ERS games, but the stories are a bit to be desired..I always get this feeling of ...now why do I care to do that? or, now where am I going?

There are so many scenes in this game that it really really needs a map. I looked for one and couldn't find it. The journal isn't helpful at all frankly.

I don't expect a jumping map, or a map with scenes shown..just a map..like I have here in real life to find my way around..liker mapquest, gps or the old folding kind...This game needs a map.

Now if there is one..call me chagrinned.
Kris

PowderMonkey
Guppy
Guppy
195 Posts

[Post New]by PowderMonkey on Nov 16, 12 3:18 PM
steve_san wrote:
2. Puzzles - difficult (or at least time consuming).

Perhaps they made the puzzles harder so the gameplay would be longer? Frankly I get no pleasure out of clicking on multiple rotating puzzles endlessly to achieve some result.

My thoughts exactly! I understand what is supposed to happen in these puzzles, but they are VERY time-consuming, and no fun!
Other than that, a well-built game, but as some (many) point out, these devs could use some new inspiration....
A bit ho-hum, I only bought it because I had a game credit, otherwise I would've waited for the SE.

janey3315
Guppy
Guppy
102 Posts

[Post New]by janey3315 on Nov 16, 12 8:10 PM

Edited on 11/19/2012 at 4:00:21 AM PST

NiceZombie
Guppy
Guppy
165 Posts

[Post New]by NiceZombie on Nov 17, 12 9:16 AM
So, I just finished the whole game + bonus; it was quite a long game which is good; the story was a bit weird though, I couldn't follow it completely but I thought hey whatever, it's got ZOMBIES in it!!! And I loooove the undead. That's the only thing that made this game a bit fun for me, seeing those walking zombies throughout the game.

The puzzles were fun but some of them were annoying, had to skip 2, and I really don't like skipping. I loved the very interactive HO scenes more than those were you search the wordlist, but sometimes it was hard to guess where exactly to click (had to peek at the guide to see, very annoying!) Music was okay, but then it got annoying, so had to lower the volume... very repetitive. I rather have no music but great atmospherical sounds than these repetitive songs playing...

The monkey was funny and irritating at the same time

I don't think I will actually play another ERS game, if it continues like this ; their games now seem a bit outdated, bland and just not that high-quality as some other games I played recently, like Curse of the Black Water, Alien Town, Mystery Trackers and the Boomzap games. Now those were excellent games.

This one, nah....

[Post New]by Underthebridge on Nov 17, 12 11:18 AM
This game is okay. .seems pretty easy..you would think after the first two in this series the third installment would be harder. .seems like the same cookie cutter game from the dev's..I think so many people buy that they think we are satisfied with the outcome. .I think if we stop purchasing maybe they will wise up and take note, this was a good demo and even though I am tempted to buy I am going to stick to my word and "go on strike here" sorry ...no buy for me, this Minnow is waiting for bigger

kgustavson
Clownfish
Clownfish
630 Posts

[Post New]by kgustavson on Nov 17, 12 3:59 PM
Why, oh WHY can't these guys make a game where WIDESCREEN works for everyone??!!!?? Are they just punishing us PC users? As usual, too easy, interactive HOS will probably revert to straight HOS after the demo, yadda yadda yadda. No buy for me but by all means enjoy it if it's for you.

qpr1
Clownfish
Clownfish
733 Posts

[Post New]by qpr1 on Nov 20, 12 6:21 PM
finished the demo in 50 mins, skipped the monkey puzzle, the rest i found to be very easy. i have to echo other reviews here in that yes the graphics are superb, but it seems that the developers just regurgitate the same game over and over with a different storyline and characters.
i am fed up with the little goblin and the extremely irritating monkey
that said i would buy this as a sale or dd item

[Post New]by whirled_peas on Nov 24, 12 6:48 PM
This game had quality graphics and movement but the puzzles were really easy and consequently, the HOS became tedious. I'll suffer through HOS for good puzzles. The story was OK and I didn't have to run around too, too much. The bonus game was a very decent length but am I dying to play it again? No.

[Post New]by feenix2011 on Nov 28, 12 9:25 PM
Zombies, YEAH!! I love them Zombies!! Finally, a game with good Zombie movement. I love ERS games anyway, and this will be up there as one of my Favs. I can't think of anything not to like about this game. I personally didn't find the music all that annoying. The mini-games were easy, and I did like using an item almost as soon as you got it, cuz then I didn't forget what it was for!! I think the main game ended VERY abruptly and the bonus game was good, but didn't end the story for me. Another adventure coming perhaps? All in all, a really good time.

feenix

bessiegirl
Clownfish
Clownfish
738 Posts

[Post New]by bessiegirl on Dec 6, 12 8:17 AM
I am enjoying this game so far. Always like ERS games, but cannot understand why a map is not provided....so much click, click, click all over the place gets old and tedious! This game really needs a map of somekind at least. Had to stopped because I just got tired of it. Have to use the hint to move around which seems to refresh somewhat quickly. Of course, as usual the graphics are amazing!

The HOS are fun and varied but the mini games are a nightmare. Some are just plain easy and others are so confusing, tedious or difficult (mostly because the instructions are not real clear) that I just skip right over them. Skip button is fairly fast. Inventory gets too many items in it sometimes and I tend to forget where to go to use them....this drives me nuts.

Story is different and interesting...It seems I've seen this little character elsewhere. And...I really dislike MONKEYS! I almost stopped playing the game but finally turned down the sound which eliminated the screeching. Was very happy to see him "zombied"...that seems to have gotten rid of him at least for awhile it seems.

Additional comment: Did finish game, again the cons are listed above and they didn't get any better. The real game conclusion is in the bonus game which I didn't complete because I just can't take anymore of these ridiculas mind numbing mini games...so tiring. So I will just have to go without knowing the ending...but probably same-o same-o....I give this game a 3- out of 5 because of NO MAP, too much clicking all over the place and too many really dumb mini games...also, I really dislike CEs that don't complete the story in the the main game. I think that is a rip off for those who choose to purchase the SE instead.

Edited on 12/10/2012 at 11:52:07 AM PST

dixated
Jellyfish
Jellyfish
10 Posts

[Post New]by dixated on Dec 16, 12 11:59 AM
Screen froze, could not move cursor on bottom half of the screen and could not leave the game. Had to turn my computer off to close the game.

lisablue4369
Flounder
Flounder
2,105 Posts

[Post New]by lisablue4369 on Jan 1, 13 8:01 AM
this is a GREAT game, just like the games before this one. ----------doug & lisa

babbydoll1201
Minnow
Minnow
281 Posts

[Post New]by babbydoll1201 on Jan 4, 13 7:20 PM
Good game. I am glad i bought the regular edition instead of CE. I enjoyed it but I lover all ERS games. Its worth a free download.

lisablue4369
Flounder
Flounder
2,105 Posts

[Post New]by lisablue4369 on Jan 13, 13 2:05 PM
als needed to add, this is a nice LONG game...........

Go to: