hannah57
Clownfish
Clownfish
760 Posts

Re:Comments for Brink of Cosciousness: The Lonely Hearts Murders Collector's Edition

[Post New]by hannah57 on Nov 18, 12 6:36 AM
I found I was using the hint button too much which made the game fly by. If I bought it and used the hint button all the way through, the game would be finished in no time. So I guess buying it would be a waste for me. It's a very nice game though, even with those darn HOs, lol

_misschrissi_
Minnow
Minnow
232 Posts

Re:Comments for Brink of Cosciousness: The Lonely Hearts Murders Collector's Edition

[Post New]by _misschrissi_ on Nov 18, 12 6:50 AM
roxiestar74 wrote:Excited to see another game in this series, since I really loved the first one, but am kind of disappointed that it is not a continuation of the first story. Oscar was such a great villain, and if they really wanted to, they could have come up with another story for him. .....

Roxiestar74 made this comment about Oscar. In the early dialogue someone at the cards table mentioned their little boy and said "he said to me 'if I have a son I'm going to call him Oscar and we'll go hunting together' - sweet boy, thinking about the future already!"

Just a coincidence and my overactive imagination, or are we meant to make more of this????

Edited on 11/18/2012 at 6:52:52 AM PST

mhatfie
Pufferfish
Pufferfish
1,447 Posts

[Post New]by mhatfie on Nov 18, 12 7:11 AM
Nice game. So similar to the Sherlock LFA games with Owen being Watson and the Detective Sherlock. There are a few too many Hos for me so will pass on getting the CE but may reconsider the SE with a ccc.

ETA: Well this game is too good to wait for the SE so have changed my mind and will get the CE. I always enjoy listening to the Brits talk and the voices in this game are very well done. I didn't get bored and found myself totally engrossed in the dialog.

Edited on 11/18/2012 at 11:56:22 AM PST

bratzgram
Clownfish
Clownfish
634 Posts

[Post New]by bratzgram on Nov 18, 12 8:11 AM
I haven't bought an Adventure/Hidden Object game in a while. They all seemed to be the same anymore.Which is good. I was going broke through BF!

I WANT THIS ONE The way they keep you involved in the story is fantastic. I also like to have plenty of puzzles to solve. They may be on the easier side in this but there are plenty The HOS are interactive and just challenging enough.

The map helps a lot but is not interactive. I had to use it even during the demo

My favorite part of this is how the characters are done. It's almost movie like. This is a definite must have for me.

CiChDa
Dogfish
Dogfish
1,972 Posts

[Post New]by CiChDa on Nov 18, 12 8:26 AM
Your review's are much appreciated.
How do I sign up with being able to do this?
I can't believe you all' are up at the opening hours to help us little fishies'...
AND, we do appreciate you all.
Still debating on even trying to download this game, as yesterday's game 'shocked' my computer.

elldee2728
Shark
Shark
14,378 Posts

[Post New]by elldee2728 on Nov 18, 12 8:34 AM
Oh boy--another offering from one of my favorite developers--"M-I-S," if you know what I mean! (Robinson Crusoe and the Cursed Pirates," " The Fool," "Dorian Gray..." I played about 1/2 hour of the demo in the Casual mode and went straight-away to buy. I read some of the tech issues, but we're playing on an HP 23" desktop--haven't experienced any problems (knock on wood).

I love the premise--an old-fashioned, 19th century London mystery (a la Sherlock Holmes?) with all the scenery and dialogue (which is a bit long at times) that goes with it. Voiceovers good so far, graphics beautiful, one H0 scene (interactive), one unique puzzle.

A lengthier review may come later--just wanted to get my two cents in now. I read a recent "review" (?) that stated that the reviewer played the entire game in Hard mode in two hours--I don't see that happening in this household (or many other households, for that matter!). As they say, you can't tell the length of a game by the size of the D/L (think "Phantasmat").

Regards, elldee

Edited on 11/18/2012 at 12:20:38 PM PST

Howatch
Manatee
Manatee
3,952 Posts

[Post New]by Howatch on Nov 18, 12 8:36 AM
This is a gorgeous and interesting game; it's not a game to be rushed through but rather one to savor. The voiceovers, the graphics, and the story are all excellent so far. The first Brink of Consciousness is one of my favorites and the developers have definitely done a great job with this game as well.

giddiup101
Minnow
Minnow
282 Posts

[Post New]by giddiup101 on Nov 18, 12 9:50 AM
Nice game. My only complaint is that you cannot change play modes. I hate sparkles but like having a hint button and map if I need it. I normally play in the advance mode but that also has sparkles so I'm having to play in the hard mode and it doesn't have hints or map features.

cathyok
Minnow
Minnow
208 Posts

[Post New]by cathyok on Nov 18, 12 10:29 AM
I am very impressed with this new release. I thought their last one was very good but they have surpassed even that one with this new release. I think one of the things I like about this one is they never let you forget what your main goal is and that the story is the game. The puzzles I have done so far are different then I have seen before aenjoyed playing them. I also like having the map to remind me where I need to be where some action can be done and using that I have not had to go to the guide for help so far. Thanks Devs for a very well done game!!! Happy Gaming All!

pilimai729
Guppy
Guppy
130 Posts

[Post New]by pilimai729 on Nov 18, 12 10:37 AM
I will only say that ?I don't think it's worthy of the CE price. I would have to think twice about it even as an SE. At my usual setting of 1024x768 (which usually works fine on most games) I'm going blind. The boring and excessive dialogue also turns me off, simply because my mind is thinking ahead to the next move, which you can't make, as long as dialogue is active. I'm sure this may appeal to many as our tastes are diverse.

NiceZombie
Guppy
Guppy
165 Posts

[Post New]by NiceZombie on Nov 18, 12 12:38 PM
Wow I am kind of impressed with the graphics of this game ; the animations of the characters, weather, lighting and objects are very well done. Almost like a real point'n'click adventure pc game! I turned on the ''grain'' it looks a bit more interesting for me that way.

I am enjoying it so far, it has the atmosphere and feel of a murder mystery movie (and a jazzy background music). I love the HO scenes, a bit of interactivity in it, but very original (like the three cats popping up and the red paint bucket) and the puzzles are pretty fun so far. A lot of talking though, and you can click multiple times on different people to hear what they have to say, but this is up to the player, you can also just ignore the people (though that would not be so kind haha).

I am going to buy this one tomorrow because I want to play all of this excellent game

flowerchild44
Marlin
Marlin
8,348 Posts

[Post New]by flowerchild44 on Nov 18, 12 3:47 PM
shadowfax44 wrote:
flowerchild44 wrote:I agree with you WolfenRaindancer, it is very well done, and I love a good victorian murder mystery but this just hasn't grabbed me at all.
I got a bit bored with it, and so I have to say a no buy for me today.
A can, and a drink machine in the victorian era?
the dialogue is very long, but as has been mentioned the voice overs are really good.
I will most likely buy as a SE, but not worth my extra dollars...
Hey Flower - I wasn't smitten with this game at first either, largely due to the overabundance of dialogue (like it's almost an interactive movie!) but it does get better as it goes on. It grew on me quickly and is quite fun. Not as good as Doran Grey by any any means, but it's pretty good.

Hi Shadow,
i am coming around on it, thats for sure.I still have some others to finish, but this one is on my must buy as a Se list, at the top! LOL..

snapnhiss
Pufferfish
Pufferfish
1,483 Posts

[Post New]by snapnhiss on Nov 18, 12 4:15 PM
This was like being immersed in a very well done Victorian murder mystery movie. The plot was actually really interesting, the voice acting was as good as any I've ever heard, the music was beautiful and I enjoyed having a "partner" in the game. Really unique and exciting.

Penny1942
Clownfish
Clownfish
554 Posts

[Post New]by Penny1942 on Nov 18, 12 7:51 PM
Congratulations to the developers for an excellent game. Very logical and I managed to complete the game without using the guide (but it was there for my comfort zone). The guide is my reason for buying CE's. Clickable maps is my next wish. Graphics were excellent and I'm using an HP 27" monitor, game opened in full screen with no distortion, if I have to change ratio etc. I simply will not buy the game. My only complaint is the amount of dialog... I lose interest in all the chatter and want to go on with the mystery to find the culprit. Well worth the money and if the bonus chapter doesn't appear in the SE you will be missing something. Now I'm off to replay the previous Brink of Consciousness. LOL BF spell check the heading on this thread.

leslieboyd
Squid
Squid
61 Posts

[Post New]by leslieboyd on Nov 19, 12 7:25 AM
Howatch wrote:This is a gorgeous and interesting game; it's not a game to be rushed through but rather one to savor. The voiceovers, the graphics, and the story are all excellent so far. The first Brink of Consciousness is one of my favorites and the developers have definitely done a great job with this game as well.
I couldn't agree more!! well said! I am savoring this game, just the right amount of mix of all things I love. Being a Sherlock Holmes fan...I find that I enjoy the dialog, while long at times.. which you can skip... I feel like i'm reading a good book at times... can't wait to see what awaits me around the corner! Thank you developers and BIG FISH for another great great game!!!

Penguin29
Herring
Herring
363 Posts

[Post New]by Penguin29 on Nov 19, 12 9:43 AM
I'm really enjoying this game. It is much better if you have the patience to listen to all the dialogue. I find that I don't have to use the hint button that much. 1/2 way through and only used it once. Great story and great graphics. Off to finish playing.

mhatfie
Pufferfish
Pufferfish
1,447 Posts

[Post New]by mhatfie on Nov 19, 12 12:30 PM
I am about half way through this game and am totally loving it. So glad I bought the CE. I will be sorry to see it end.

DragonLadyOz
Shark
Shark
12,214 Posts

[Post New]by DragonLadyOz on Nov 19, 12 10:06 PM
Hi there,
I have seen a lot of comments about the sometimes lengthy dialogue scenes in this game and whilst some of them are on the longer side, they help to tell the story and set the scene for the next part of the adventure ....... and this is a story, not just a series of events.
Most delightful and enjoyable game, and some of the interractive scenes in the HOS were a lot of fun - for example .... >possible spoiler, highlight > the cats popping up to find the black cat was most unexpected > as opposed to lighting a candle to get a lit candle.
However, whilst I enjoyed this, did anyone else find it extremely linear? I know that you have to to X before Y or Z, but this seemed to be more "find the whatsit in silly places" driven rather than run around searching for stuff on your own to eventually locate and use the item you need.
Or maybe I have played so many of these games that I know what to expect.
Cheers

Tiger2010
Whale Shark
Whale Shark
16,624 Posts

[Post New]by Tiger2010 on Nov 23, 12 1:22 PM
Sign me up as a fan too. It's so different from Dorian Gray, but just as good in its own right.

I'm loving the whole Sherlock Holmes vibe and the funny and unexpected items in the H0S such as the cats popping up and the rat in the drawer.

I'll be sad when it's over too! It's a long game, though. I think I'm about halfway through.

Mr_Russ
Whale Shark
Whale Shark
16,662 Posts

[Post New]by Mr_Russ on Nov 25, 12 4:46 AM
Not a good start for me. Full Screen is actually Widescreen HD. Turning Full Screen off plays Windowed. I can't turn the subtitles off either.

Edited on 11/25/2012 at 5:21:30 AM PST

Go to: