shorenuf
Dolphin
Dolphin
7,281 Posts

Re:Reviews for Brink of Consciousness: The Lonely Hearts Murders Collector's Edition

[Post New]by shorenuf on Nov 18, 12 9:37 AM

Edited on 11/19/2012 at 10:07:50 AM PST

dancemom1
Angelfish
Angelfish
1,198 Posts

Re:Reviews for Brink of Consciousness: The Lonely Hearts Murders Collector's Edition

[Post New]by dancemom1 on Nov 18, 12 10:54 AM
Excellent graphics and game play. Very nice voice-overs, but I do love a good English/British accent. Nice music and I even like the sound you get when you find a HOG item (very nice for a change). HOGs nice and games not difficult but do take a bit of thought.

Would be nice to have a jump map, with all the running back and forth. Already gone through a pair of tennis shoes this morning with just the demo. There is a great deal of diagloge, which is nice, but a bit over done. You can't click through it to hurry it along and skipping it completely takes away from the game. As I said, there is a lot of it.

Really enjoyed this game and have the need to find out how it ends (I'm sure I already know, but what the heck). It is a very nice game and I am going to purchase this one.

As always, try it for yourself and see if it is right for you. We all have different tastes in games and you may not care for it at all. Thanks for the reviews.

diwlaw
Seahorse
Seahorse
34 Posts

[Post New]by diwlaw on Nov 18, 12 11:22 AM
I guess I am the only one that thought this game was dull. There was too much dialogue, and way too much to and fro for my taste,you couldn't use the map to jump to areas of interest either. The hidden object scenes were pretty old school, and there wasn't anything fun like morphing objects, or finding hidden faces, etc. The puzzles that I encountered were very easy, a bit more of a challange would have been welcome. Graphics were OK, but used washed out colors, I guess this goes with the feel of the setting, but a little color would have been nice. This game would have been fine if it came out two years ago, but seems a little dated now.

Edited on 11/20/2012 at 10:35:28 AM PST

The Game's Afoot!

[Post New]by Mystery_Fan on Nov 18, 12 12:24 PM
Purchased immediately after playing demo. My favorite game genre is large file adventure, and this is the best facsimile of that genre in casual gaming mode I've come across. I enjoy the Sherlock Holmes detective genre in particular and this game definitely feels very similar (without some of the gory and intense parts).
I'm very impressed with this game thus far, and had to stop for a quick rave review before proceeding. The game's afoot!

[Post New]by daisyduck352 on Nov 18, 12 1:34 PM
Don't really care for this type of game, too much talking and then the inventory don't stay locked and don't like that. I haven't played the entire game but it just didn't make me want to buy this game.. so am on the fence and will wait on this one.

Pixielate
Guppy
Guppy
159 Posts

[Post New]by Pixielate on Nov 18, 12 4:22 PM
I have to agree with Diwlaw. I found this game so tedious and boring. And way too much "blah, blah, blah". Why so much dialogue in a game? I played the demo, but almost fell asleep doing that.

[Post New]by CathyCatfish on Nov 18, 12 5:19 PM
based on the demo hour, i liked this game!
yes, there is a lot of dialog, and MOST of it, you have to keep clicking on the various characters to hear/read it, but most of it was to help give background or other details for the story. some find the story sort of unnecessary, and just want to do puzzles or HOS, i guess, but for me, the story is the point and i don't buy games which are ALL puzzles and HOS with no story to go with. i LOVE the adventure aspect and cut my gaming teeth on myst and riven many years ago.

my quibbles with this game are basically the anachronistic ones:
an automatic gate in the police station, to get to the detective's office,
the strange kinda victorian-looking pop machine with a can of soda dispensed (!) and the soft jazz music throughout which would not have been popular in the victorian era, when this is apparently set. not to play pedagog, but jazz music was being birthed in the southern u.s. just as the victorian era was ending and did not cross the atlantic for many years to come.

ok, enough of that quibble... sorry!

the other, bigger, quibble is that i have to play on HARDCORE with no map, no hints, no nothing to get rid of the [exp] SPARKLES!
I HATE SPARKLES! but, i love maps and, less often lately, hints.

PLEASE, devs, i BEG you.... let us play on the middle "hardness level" without sparkles! to force me to play with no map, no hints, no *nothing* just so i won't have to see those [exp] SPARKLES does upset me and may kill this buy for me. i haven't decided yet.

i REALLY loved the dorian gray game, so much so that after buying the SE and discovering that the CE's bonus chapter continued the game, i bought the CE as well. and, honestly, i can't remember whether there was the same sparkle issue because i was not as picky about them back then, i think.

so, fellow fishies who have played through the bonus chapter, does it add to the plot like the dorian gray apparently did? [disclaimer: i have not played the BC of the dorian gray game yet... still savoring the idea of it... LOL]
the game webpage says that the BC has a "surprising plot"...
i know that one fishie put in a spoiler, which i did not read since i still haven't decided whether to buy or not.
if the BC adds to the game, i think i will buy... if not, i'll wait for the SE and use a PCC.

Lady_Cav
Barracuda
Barracuda
3,363 Posts

[Post New]by Lady_Cav on Nov 18, 12 7:21 PM
This was a most impressive sequel to Brink of Consciousness: Dorian Gray Syndrome and I've spent a very pleasant day with this game. It's like being part of a movie, one of the characters, and the interaction with the characters in the game was very original and well done. It had tones of a Sherlockian investigation, and a touch of the feeling of a weekend at a hotel where you are part of the murder mystery, never knowing who the real killer is till the very end of the weekend.

The artwork and quality of graphics was on par with the first game, which is superb, and all the twists and turns really keeps you on your toes. It seems everyone is suspect at one time or another. Some of the puzzles were a bit tedious and I skipped a few as the hour was late and I was tired.

As to the bonus game:

This is very much like Dorian Gray Syndrome - really surprising plot twists are in the bonus game and to me, it is essential that you play the Collector's Edition of both games. I wondered to myself, with such a different setting and story line, how there could be any tie in between the two games. That is revealed in the bonus game!! Boy, oh boy, was that a brilliant way to tie the two stories together! Playing the bonus game is a must, even though the police investigation is solved in the main game well enough to be satisfied with the SE version. But you'll be disappointed - if you only knew the surprises in the bonus game!

There is a lot of dialogue, as there was in Dorian Gray Syndrome. Some don't care for all that. But to me it enhances the game and makes you feel that you are part of the movie/gaming experience.

I very much enjoyed the long video interview (one of the bonus features) with the developers. It really explains all the details you might not have been aware of while you are playing the game. As a treat, they show a few scenes of another game they are working on.

Congrats to the developers, a fine couple of games you have created for us! It can't quite top Dorian Gray in my eyes, as I thought that was the best game of 2011, but it comes fairly close and I enjoyed this game.

darkhalf01
Guppy
Guppy
166 Posts

[Post New]by darkhalf01 on Nov 18, 12 8:28 PM
Too many sparkles in normal mode (i could have coped if it was only for the HOS, but it was on every interactive spot). Too many HOS for my taste. Map where you can't jump (I'm getting to old to keep running backwards and forwards!). Not worth CE for me...but then I got bored halfway through Dorian Gray and never finished it because of all the running around.

FORTUNATUS
Clownfish
Clownfish
883 Posts

[Post New]by FORTUNATUS on Nov 18, 12 9:16 PM
EXCELLENT !!!!!

I am SO happy there is a change of pace, finally, a nice eerie mystery w/o extreme macabre.... this game? PERFECTO~!

Kudos dev & BFG.

Keziah000
Lobster
Lobster
93 Posts

[Post New]by Keziah000 on Nov 18, 12 10:46 PM
I loved the first in this series - thought it was eerie and captivating. Dorian was an excellent villain.

Also I adore a good murder mystery and this is very Sherlock Holmes-esque as others have said. Beautiful graphics, with particular emphasis on clever character gestures and attention to detail. Also a great story, so I will absolutely buy this one. Only two negatives from me - would have loved a jump map, to save traipsing about, and not being able to click speed through dialogue as optional. This game is very dialogue heavy.

Music, mood, detail, story etc - are all exceptional. Fabulous game.

nomatt
Herring
Herring
377 Posts

[Post New]by nomatt on Nov 19, 12 3:54 AM
Wow, not even going to try it, I don't care what it's like. You get to choose a difficulty option but if you don't want sparkles (and I believe most people don't) then you also can't have a map or hints!! What muppet thought that one up? I don't want hand holding sparkles, if I don't want hints I won't use them, see how simple that is? Same for the map, my choice. What a shame.

lym_1609
Parrotfish
Parrotfish
431 Posts

[Post New]by lym_1609 on Nov 19, 12 5:12 AM
Is it just me or is any developers out there now "educated" on joint effort of developing similar way of HOS games? Great graphics, good storyline, quite easy mini puzzles (except the math thingy, I meant I got the sum 29, 63, and 75 correctly, but just cant seem to make the arrow on top point to 2nd equation, so only 1 light is lighted. Really confused over how this mini puzzles is supposed to work???)

I love the game play and again it had "hidden" or inventory usage objects within a HOS, with lots of inventory usage area, eg, finding a pipe to stop the steam, finding a cuckoo bird (all these in 1 hr trial---so dont scream spoilers, I am NOT giving any spoilers here).

Still fun, But kinda of tired of same old same old right? Guess some developers still had yet to achieve the next level of HOS "greatness". The quality is good, but same old same old kinda of puzzle HOS gets tired too quickly, even though this keeps me on my seat (due to the various inventory areas, etc and wide open spaces and areas to explore)

So kudos for another great game. I guess if I asked for a vote, most ardent HOS gamers will want a game that "surprises" them and not try the same old same formula all over. Mini Puzzles are interesting if simple, but all in all worth a free stamp, And until the next year, I do hope to see some new design factors into HOS games

Bink_In_AK
Minnow
Minnow
237 Posts

[Post New]by Bink_In_AK on Nov 19, 12 9:50 AM

Edited on 12/03/2012 at 10:35:29 AM PST

[Post New]by Accola on Nov 19, 12 10:01 AM
I only played the demo, but I can tell this is going to be an awesome game that I will buy. What I would like to see are more reviews by people who have completed the game as I feel it is a waste of time to read reviews about the demo which all of us can play.

Some games have great demos and then fall apart once past that point as I bought one that I demoed and thought it was good and ended up being very dissapointed and hated the rest of the game.

It would be so nice if Big Fish could put reviews in 2 columns for "played Demo" and "completed Game" or at least have a mark or icon at the top of a review letting us know which is which especially on the main page of the game.

I will deffinitely buy this game next month when I can afford it and I hope to buy the CE as I have the Dorian Gray CE and love the suspense, graphics, and length of the bonus and I know I will play it again and again.

Thanks Big Fish for having the best games ever. You've kept me from beng a bored old lady on disability and made me into an excited happy gamer. I love this site and your FB page. Have a wonderful Thanksgiving

[Post New]by Girtabik on Nov 19, 12 10:37 AM

Edited on 11/20/2012 at 3:52:55 AM PST

[Post New]by kris_cross48 on Nov 19, 12 11:32 AM
wow and amazing!
I've never seen such awesome graphics, the tone of the script was just right, the writing really thoughtful, loved the funny breaks. I think the acting vocals were perfectly done. I was afraid that the wonderful detective would end up beig the bad guy..whew. animation was fluid..now how did you get that billowing curtain in the first scene..incredible.
please keep creating. As a team your really the best I've seen. I'm simply amazed!
kris

nance91947
Guppy
Guppy
109 Posts

[Post New]by nance91947 on Nov 19, 12 12:55 PM
Stellar production--huge KUDOs to the developers and BFG for offering us this STELLAR 3D game to play!!! Never have I enjoyed a game in the depth as this one--and I own over 100 HOG games! Yes, there is dialogue, but it's such a welcome change for it really adds to one's playing of the game. Play time, including bonus chapter--which is marvelous--is about 5 hours. +/-. Every aspect of this game should stand as models for developers, for it's all accomplished superbly! Didn't mind not having a truly "operative" map for the hint system works so well in helping you along--plus so much of it is logical as to where one should next venture. The characters are excellently portrayed! If all games met the merits executed in this one, there'd be no grumbling about quality or the lack there of. Truthfully cannot say enough about Brink of Consciousness: The Lonely Hearts Murder!!! Well done, all!! Thanks again, BFG for bringing such quality to us players!

Edited on 11/19/2012 at 12:59:55 PM PST

steve_san
Clownfish
Clownfish
586 Posts

[Post New]by steve_san on Nov 19, 12 6:56 PM
This is a well thought out and (mostly) well designed game. I played only the demo, but I found the story interesting even though it's nothing original (a mysterious "Lonely Hearts" killer and people disappearing all over town). The twist is that they stay alive for 30 days after disappearing. The characters are well animated (literally) and yes, there is a lot of dialog but I did not mind at all because they were advancing the story. The story makes more sense than most games as it develops. The setting is Victorian England. After starting off with an ordinary missing drawer handle the game improves .

Personally, I rarely purchase CE's so I'll probably wait for the SE. Oh, and the widescreen appeared as a letterbox format on my Windows PC.

[Post New]by CathyCatfish on Nov 19, 12 9:06 PM
Girtabik wrote:CathyCatfish, the music in NOT JAZZ. Why you associate sax with jazz only? The sax was invented in 1840's by Belgian master, and being used in orchestras many years ago BEFORE the invention of jazz.
It fits the game well, I think. And you're just a victim of your own stereotypes.

thank you for correcting me. it's actually "smooth jazz" or "soft jazz" rather than full-on original jazz by the old masters. for this game soundtrack, think kenny g, who plays something called "fusion jazz" for which he has taken heat from music critics, who do not like him straying so far from "real" jazz.
i fully agree that it fits the TONE of the game, but it does not fit the era, which is apparently well established by the date on owen's grandfather clock (1890) in the very first scene and by the long skirts/dresses worn by the women. for the actual music of the day, we would hear opera, light opera or possibly comic opera or chamber music or bandstand (as in gazebo in the central town square bandstand) orchestral music. i think that victorian style music (what most would think of as "classical" music) would turn most gamers off and would not really fit the atmosphere of the game so they chose this soft bluesy-soft jazz instead. good choice, although anachronistic.
yes, i know when the sax was born and where... and it's not just the sax that adds to the soundtrack, but various other woodwinds (oboe most notably after sax) and piano... and it's written in a minor key with various blue notes thrown in for good measure to add to the melancholy atmosphere of the game.

speaking of anachronistic, a punch card for entry to a hotel room? seriously? LOL

all that aside, i did buy the game and am savoring it! we have almost caught the killer (i think?) and i am salivating over the thought of the bonus chapter soon to come!
yes, there is a lot of dialogue, very much more so than most games, but it adds SO much to the reality of this game! i really feel like i'm there and part of it, which, for me, is great! i mean, at least for me, what's the point of playing an adventure game and then clicking through the parts that "create" the adventure?

a fine game, well done, devs!

Edited on 11/19/2012 at 11:39:38 PM PST

Go to: