mbmb6868
Squid
Squid
77 Posts

Re:Lost Secrets™: November 1963

[Post New]by mbmb6868 on Nov 19, 12 6:03 PM
I think it's interesting that so many people are offended or turned off by the subject matter. I'm guessing many of those same people have played at least one of the Titanic themed games that keep popping up around here. 1 death vs 1502 deaths.

Not trying to give anyone a hard time, just think it's strange how some things are romanticized and others are taboo.

nc_wa
Clownfish
Clownfish
850 Posts

[Post New]by nc_wa on Nov 19, 12 6:27 PM
If people are going to complain about this game, then let's quit making any type of games all together.

Let's just ban every video game out there that promotes sex, drugs or violence. It is bad for the children people say. There are a lot of video games today based off of past events. Let's see Call of Duty comes to mind or what about the new Assassin's Creed game that deals with the American Revolutionary War.

I was born in the early 70s and yes the JFK event was a tragic day in history. Come on people, you are going to complain about the developer for involving a past U.S. President in a hidden object game.

Remember, there is a thing call "freedom of speech"! Yes, you have the right not to play or disagree with the game, but keep in mind this is America.

I actually just watched JFK by Oliver Stone a few days ago on TV. The first time I ever watched this movie. I learned a lot about this event in a few hours versus the days in high school. I even went beyond that and did some more research on the Internet the next day.

Am I going to play the game, I do not know yet. I only play certain games on here. Am I going to let people on this forum influence that decision on this game, not at all! I will just look at the pros and cons if people like the game.

Signed,
S.G.

marssign
Seahorse
Seahorse
24 Posts

[Post New]by marssign on Nov 19, 12 9:27 PM
I too lived through that terrible time in American history. However, I think this game has a lot of potential. Have not finished playing it as yet but I am enjoying all the sights in Dallas. There are a lot of theories still around about the assassination and this game may end up exploring one or two. Thus far I am enjoying it very much.

As for the people who think it is too soon to have a game like this come out, I can understand their reasoning but in my opinion it was worth making this game to give us a closer look at what happened that terrible day.

silverfiesta
Guppy
Guppy
155 Posts

[Post New]by silverfiesta on Nov 19, 12 10:17 PM
Bpup wrote:
50plusgamer wrote:I've said it before and I'll say it again, making a game around the death of a real person who died within living memory is tasteless and intrusive.

I agree.

I lived through that painful period of time and I don't want to revisit it. Different strokes for different folks; we all internalize events differently.

I won't be demo'ing it or buying it.

ETA: I was in grade school at the time. We were in the middle of class when the principal called all the teachers into her office. When they came back they were crying and dismissed us from school. They would not tell us what happened, only saying that we should ask our parents when we got home.

I was in grade school too and the bus driver told us - I called him a liar and was so upset and then my Mom met the bus and she was crying - such a sad time

DragonLadyOz
Shark
Shark
12,214 Posts

[Post New]by DragonLadyOz on Nov 19, 12 10:28 PM
Hi there,
I also remember the assassination of JFK vividly - it had an immense effect on many of us even here in Australia. Every TV station was covering all aspects of this despicable act.
However I found the "Graceland" game more distasteful than this one.
Personally I have enjoyed this game as I have visited scenes/sites etc involved with someone I respected rather than peeked into the life of an over-hyped rock-star (IMO - I was a Beatles and Rolling Stones fan) whose lifestyle added to his own demise.
It is a mystery game after all. And as far as I can see - with the Information Plates etc placed at relevant sites in Dallas - developed in a most respectful way.
I do however understand the angst of others at the release of this game at this point of time.
Of course, I recommend that you try before you buy.
Cheers

Bpup
Manatee
Manatee
3,891 Posts

[Post New]by Bpup on Nov 19, 12 10:58 PM
@nc_wa

No one here is telling others not to buy the game nor is anyone asking for these type of games to be banned or not sold here. We are also not picking on others who are intrigued by the game and want to play it. It sounds like it is probably a good game.

Those of us who are not buying it are just commenting on why we specifically aren't going to buy it. We are providing feedback to the game developer regarding why their anticipated sales figures might not meet their anticipated mark.

There is a difference between not personally wanting to buy a game and deliberately trying to dissuade others from trying out or buying a game. No one here is trying to stop anyone from getting it, nor is anyone trampling on anyone's freedom to do so or to say why they happen to like the game or the storyline.

Regard the posts of people who don't want to play the game as a slice of first-person history that adds to the storyline, not as something negative toward those who enjoy the game. You are hearing from people who actually lived through the event, not someone whose only knowledge of it is an annotation in a history book or a documentary on TV. Think of the emotions you felt on 9-11, think of the horror and shock within your community, think of the silence outside as everything shut down - that's what it was like then. For those of us who were children then, it was the first national event that really impinged on our lives. For many of us, it was the first time we saw our parents cry - a totally unsettling thing. It was one of those defining moments of life - when things are measured as happening either before or after the event.

slimjims36
Clownfish
Clownfish
526 Posts

[Post New]by slimjims36 on Nov 19, 12 11:20 PM
Rebeca_Lily wrote:Hannah, Elvis died a natural death. I loved JFK, and it still hurt. True that it's intriguing plot, but it's too real...

Just my opinion here and no offense, but I wouldn't by any stretch of the imagination call Elvis' death "natural." Colonel Parker making sure Elvis could pour drugs down his own throat leading to his demise (according to some theorists) was a tragedy still felt today. And I happen to be one of the odd ducks who believe that theory. Just as much as the one about the fact Janis Joplin wasn't a heroin addict. Boozer? Yes. Drug addict? No. Read the coroner's report.

No, it is not, of course, as significant nor had wide-spread ramifications to the course of history as the death of JFK. Not even close, just saying. JFK was before I was born, and Elvis wasn't so ..... so I guess I remember what I remember and curious as to how different people have viewed and/or remembered things in history so differently. Not implying that anyone is wrong or that JFK wasn't one of the most tragic events of the 20th century.

And I agree that a game made out of the death of a figure still in living memories a bit tacky. The Elvis one was, too, as far as I am concerned.

But what I find most interesting is why we aren't all surprised at what developers will do or the history they will tap into to sell a game? I mean c'mon, it's money.... and money makes the world go round.... unfortunately.

[Post New]by topazjanet on Nov 20, 12 6:31 AM
Bpup wrote:@nc_wa

No one here is telling others not to buy the game nor is anyone asking for these type of games to be banned or not sold here. We are also not picking on others who are intrigued by the game and want to play it. It sounds like it is probably a good game.

Those of us who are not buying it are just commenting on why we specifically aren't going to buy it. We are providing feedback to the game developer regarding why their anticipated sales figures might not meet their anticipated mark.

There is a difference between not personally wanting to buy a game and deliberately trying to dissuade others from trying out or buying a game. No one here is trying to stop anyone from getting it, nor is anyone trampling on anyone's freedom to do so or to say why they happen to like the game or the storyline.

Regard the posts of people who don't want to play the game as a slice of first-person history that adds to the storyline, not as something negative toward those who enjoy the game. You are hearing from people who actually lived through the event, not someone whose only knowledge of it is an annotation in a history book or a documentary on TV. Think of the emotions you felt on 9-11, think of the horror and shock within your community, think of the silence outside as everything shut down - that's what it was like then. For those of us who were children then, it was the first national event that really impinged on our lives. For many of us, it was the first time we saw our parents cry - a totally unsettling thing. It was one of those defining moments of life - when things are measured as happening either before or after the event.

VERY WELL SAID.....thank you for your message

cathyok
Minnow
Minnow
208 Posts

[Post New]by cathyok on Nov 20, 12 6:43 AM
So glad to see some more positive comments posted and for me I did feel like some of the comments were made in such a way that I felt kinda bad for liking the game. Some of the puzzles are without really clear instruction and wanted to ask for some help since there is no walkthrough. I didn't because I didn't want to be bashed for playing the game. I also remember that tragic day but did not feel the Devs crossed some taboo line and really think they did a very good job with this game

Survivor01
Guppy
Guppy
157 Posts

[Post New]by Survivor01 on Nov 21, 12 6:27 AM
Well said Bpup. I was in elementary school (9 yrs old) and remember it all vividly - and with chemo brain that's saying a lot. I think the timing is poor. I wasn't going to trial it, but that decision was cemented when I read that the actual event is in the game - that I find inappropriate. Some people are saying it's history, but is it really? How much research went into the making of this game - I don't know. I think it is important that we remember life changing, history making events like this. I'm just not sure that this is the correct way to do it. For instance, my daughter was also 9 in 911. We watched the news almost non stop then. This year I watched some of the documentaries on 911 with her and she said she hardly remembered any of it. I was pretty surprised at that. I think we all handle tragedy in our own way - and to each his own. At least most of us live where a forum like this can even exist.

cjpandie
Guppy
Guppy
165 Posts

[Post New]by cjpandie on Nov 21, 12 10:44 PM
Who ever said Elvis died by natural causes is sadly mistaken. His death was caused by all the drugs he had in his system. That is why his Dr was in so much trouble after his death. I loved the man's singing and he was my hero, but all the publicity killed the love I had for him.

ansisera
Starfish
Starfish
58 Posts

[Post New]by ansisera on Nov 23, 12 7:23 PM
this site's games are written predominately by Russians. If you ever noticed the names in the credits, they're all Russian/Eastern European, so they're not about to feel this country's pain re: President Kennedy's assassination.

Edited on 11/23/2012 at 7:23:50 PM PST

lovely62
Clownfish
Clownfish
731 Posts

[Post New]by lovely62 on Nov 30, 12 5:42 AM
What a awesome game Big shout out to the dev's the graphics was so clear and i loved the sounds, I do hope you will keep making more of your games about different people..Keep up the good work and thank you Dev's for all your hard work and time.. Thx BF for this game..I found to understand some of this game you need to read a little history on JFK last days..Have fun fishes I do hope you enjoyed this game as much as i have, 5 's

Go to: