Re:Welcome to Mystery Case Files®: Shadow Lake Collector's Edition forum

[Post New]by secretworld on Nov 20, 12 10:59 PM
Songs of Joy and Dances of Glee! I've have been wondering for a whole year how on earth are the masterminds at BFG's going to top last year, and now I know! Just brillliant stuff. Love the nod to Zak from GA (love that show). I'm about at the 20% mark and already, I've had to work the grey matter, I've laughed out loud, and nearly peed my pants. Thank You BigFishStudios for such emmersive and delightful entertainment!!

Edited on 11/20/2012 at 11:06:10 PM PST

[Post New]by sarahbera1218 on Nov 21, 12 3:56 AM
Gotta say I felt it was a pretty disappointing demo. I loved most of the early Mystery Case Files games, but the last few have sort of rubbed me the wrong way simply because of the incorporation of live action scenes and actors. I get that it means less graphics designing, but I just can't stand games that have real people in them like that. I'm sure eventually I'll suck it up and buy this game, but at this point I'm not really feeling all that excited about it, which is pretty sad because I was definitely looking forward to the newest MCF game coming out.

[Post New]by delon67 on Nov 21, 12 4:36 AM
Help me please! What is the combination for the safe in MCF Shadow Lake in the bonus game, does anybody know how?
I really love this game :-)
Thanks
Lucinete Johansen
Denmark

[Post New]by Sanja86 on Nov 21, 12 4:44 AM
Greetings to you.My name is Sanja and I'm from Serbia.Yesterday I received the case files Misyery Shadow likes of friends and I have already played and finished. Otherwise regularly follow Mystery case files and I can not wait to get out a new. All praise for this part (9) is fantastic.I wonder how to play a collection Edicion it does not show me that I can play it.A written version of the collectio Edicion.Thank you.

Edited on 11/21/2012 at 4:59:52 AM PST

[Post New]by Jacoban55 on Nov 21, 12 5:18 AM
Hi all,

I have to say I used to like MCF games. The last 2 or so have become so ... not my style. I don't like paranormal/occult themes, and Dire Grove and this one are heavy duty. This one more than Dire. This isn't really my main issue, however. My main issue is that I seem to have major techinical issues with these new iterations of games. I get white boxes everywhere and all text is whited out. Yes, yes, I have done all (and I mean all!) the updating/changing/reinstalling/etc., etc. all to no avail. No amount of tech articles in BFG or outside of it have helped me when it comes to these new MCF games, I'm afraid. And given the content of the games, I'm not very interested in playing them. I've noticed, though, that when there's a game that BF really wants you to get, they attach a phenomenal deal with it. For this game, it's get any and all collector's editions for half off. Wow, says I. I have about 6 to get that I was waiting for a BOGO sale or an occasion just as this. I wish they had attached it to a game that was worth it. Overall, this game doesn't seem to be going over too well. That's a shame. Perhaps MCF should be stripped down and pared back to what worked. What they're doing now doesn't seem to be the answer. In any event, I'll keep waiting for the BOGO, it's bound to come up again, and I'll let Shadow Lake pass on by. For those of you who do like the game - happy gaming!

bfgBaikal
8,624 Posts

[Post New]by bfgBaikal on Nov 21, 12 8:14 AM
Hi Fishies,

Thank you for sharing your views with us - this will all be passed along for review.

delon67 - I did some research and one of our walkthrough writers, the wonderful MargieB, posted some help on that puzzle here if you would like to check it out.

Sanja86 - when you open the safe in the quarry, you will receive a mask which will activate all the hidden morphing objects in the game. There are 50 to find and they can be anywhere so as you go back over the locations, be on alert!

Hope this helps!

bfgBaikal

Edited on 11/21/2012 at 9:59:59 AM PST

equusjoy
Minnow
Minnow
243 Posts

[Post New]by equusjoy on Nov 21, 12 8:24 AM
I LOVE, LOVE the MCF games and own them all. I was really excited and anxious to play this new one. Shame..............I deleted it before I finished the demo. Definitely not up to the previous versions. Glad I didn't do what I usually do...........buy without the demo.

To those who like the game, enjoy, enjoy! As usual all this is JMHO.

Joy

banshee10
Clownfish
Clownfish
527 Posts

[Post New]by banshee10 on Nov 21, 12 8:34 AM
Just finished the demo (will purchase, of course, but won't be able to sink into the game before my working week is done...)

Thanks BFG, kudos developers! This one is really different - what we expect since we're spoiled by MCF in general. Don't be too disappointed regarding all those negative reactions in the forum. You're the avantgarde and it's the avantgarde's "privilege" to be misunderstood.

I can't see why there are so many folks out there mourning "same old, same old" and if someone comes along with fresh ideas (a creative, challenging HOscene! At last!) they complain again.
Okay - I've surely seen better visuals in MCF games (first impression, but like I said I've only had the trial so far and things may get better). Oh, and the medium's performance is nothing to write home about unless you like overacting.

BUT: BFG? Devs? GREAT JOB!

Edited on 11/21/2012 at 8:35:51 AM PST

Reniemary
Jellyfish
Jellyfish
18 Posts

[Post New]by Reniemary on Nov 21, 12 9:38 AM
I must add my thoughts after reading so many bad reviews. I'm half way through the game and yes... it's different but that's one of the reasons I'm enjoying the play.

The actors are tongue-in-cheek so I have had a good chuckle at them. I don't race to finish the game in record time so I don't skip puzzles or use the hints. If I'm stuck, I just leave the game for a bit and I always find the solution. It's the reason I buy these type of games.

I'm enjoying the floating puzzle pieces again something different and they can be a bit frustrating but so rewarding once you solve them. HO's are not so straight forward, you find them in different spots which adds to the challenge. Cute tasks too; building the sand castle, playing hangman, etc. All enjoyable play.

I love those little drawings... keeps me on my toes finding where they fit. Once you find them you are off on another errand. The game is not all doom and gloom.

It's a clever game and I'm enjoying the experience.

[Post New]by Winster on Nov 21, 12 10:57 AM
ulshnycan wrote:I was really looking forward to this game. I have them all. Escape is by far the best except for Return to Ravenhurst. This is the worst game I ever played. Not the expertise you expect to find from the writers. Nothing like any of the other Mystery Case Games. I am afraid a lot of you are going to very dissappointed if you like the Ravenhurst games. Very mundane, slow, and choppy. Lea Thompson is certainly not getting any award for this performance. Back and forth, more than usual. Not hardly any mystery at all. You can just about guess what will happen next.
Okay guys, you better come up with something terrific after this fiasco. Shame, shame, shame!!!!!!!!!!

mikado1
Jellyfish
Jellyfish
18 Posts

[Post New]by mikado1 on Nov 21, 12 12:48 PM
I was also so much looking forward to this game, as I have them all. This is the worst game I ever played too. Why do they change the concept as all the other games were so great! I don´t know if I will finish it. I´m glad to hear that I´m not alone to dislike this game.

[Post New]by msmetalmom on Nov 21, 12 1:34 PM
Am playing the demo, and can say right now that I am glad I did not purchase this game. This is definitely NOT up to MCF's usual standards, and is even worse the 13th skull, and I thought that one was really bad. Come on, people, what's going on? I have all of the MCF games, and,except for the Ravenhearst series, the quality is going downhill rapidly. The live-action games (again, except for the Ravenhearst series, which have been brilliant, please give us more) just don't seem to be your cup of tea. It wouldn't be so bad if the Strategy Guide on this game was helpful, but it's basically useless. Really, a complete disappointment. This will be the first MCF game that I will NOT be buying. I sure hate to break up the series.

bfgSeine
5,158 Posts

[Post New]by bfgSeine on Nov 21, 12 1:59 PM
Hi Fishies,

Thanks for sharing your feedback on the game! Hopefully you're enjoying (or enjoyed, if you've finished) it! I just wanted to swim by and let you know about our dedicated reviews thread if you'd like to share your thoughts on the game there:

Reviews for Mystery Case Files: Shadow Lake Collector's Edition

Happy gaming,

bfgSeine

[Post New]by yioulaki on Nov 21, 12 3:29 PM
hello fishes! sorry but the game is bad... too bad.. do not buy the game fishes if you are fan of the mystery case files series... why is this guys? i think that is not good from you to do noy respect the castomers. i think that is the worst game ever..

[Post New]by Holly1006 on Nov 21, 12 6:37 PM
for the life of me i don't know what all the whining is about. i'm playing the game & think it's great. the screen resolution & the SG with no words are the same issues i had with Escape from Ravenhearst, but love everything else. guess i'm just glad there's no creepy grad students. i think most of us can agree that Return to Ravenhearst was the best, but i'd bet there were whiners when that one first came out, too.

great job, bfg ... and a big thanks for getting it to us a little early!!

Coachswife
Starfish
Starfish
44 Posts

[Post New]by Coachswife on Nov 21, 12 7:29 PM
don't like the game, deleted after 10 minutes

[Post New]by lilyrose1 on Nov 21, 12 10:53 PM
this game is frustrating I have tried the safe combo a million times every way I can think of and it STILL wont open. So I am not even gonna finish it, so sad most of the MCF games are fun..........but this one..............in a word...........SUCKS!!!!!! The stratagy guide is the worst I have ever seen and the hints are totally useless!!!!! Come on Big Fish...........this little "fishy" is really dissapointed in you right now Darn near took the entire hour just developing the picture, so I will NOT be buying or finishing the sample of this one.

[Post New]by crazygama1 on Nov 21, 12 11:06 PM
Really love MCF's. But the screen resolution is awful. It does not fill my screen. Which is bad when people allready have bad eyesight. I have reinstalled twice and still have large black area around screen. Will not consider buying it. They would have to fix this.

bfgBaikal
8,624 Posts

[Post New]by bfgBaikal on Nov 22, 12 3:50 AM
Hi lilyrose1,

I would like to help you with the safe because I assure you, the game flows much more easily once that is figured out.

To make the call and ultimately, open the wall safe, you need an operating telephone and a phone number to begin with.

Telephone

First, collect the two pieces of the telephone from the dumpster to the right of the opening scene, beside the reception office.

In room 2, open the desk drawer and take the quarter. Use it on the panel on the wall, the bed vibrator, after adjusting the setting to 'You animal!'.

This will move the bed towards you, allowing you access to the phone jack.

Place the two pieces of the telephone on the bedside table and ensure it is connected to the jack.

Telephone number

Call Kelli - we need to find out her birthday as this is the central number of the code for the safe.

Her number is random in each game so I cannot give you an exact number but it is written on a piece of paper in the drawer where you picked up the quarter.

Once you call her, her birthday will become clear. I have included some help for the next part below but I don't want to spoil it for you so they are hints more than answers.

For the start and end of the code you need the letters from the license plate of the Ghost Patrol van (check out the darkroom) and Jack Talon's -the presenter of Ghost Patrol's - apartment no (check out the hotel reception outhouse building)

If you have trouble remember to use the hint function to the bottom right for a clue or consult your journal to the bottom left, as this will highlight pertinent details you have collected. (Final hint - after checking the bed in room 2, a green post it will appear in the top right of your journal, which gives you the order of the safe code)

crazygama1 - if you have checked your screen resolution and updated your drivers already, I would suggest reaching out to our Tech Support Team. One of our Reps will be happy to help and provide dedicated support for you particular issue.

Hope this helps!

bfgBaikal

Edited on 11/22/2012 at 11:39:25 AM PST

[Post New]by drewtube1990 on Nov 22, 12 6:49 AM
I found this game to be a big let down. i feel like they havent tried with this one at all. Its lazily repetitive and the lack of puzzles disappointed me. Also the hidden object scenes were unimaginative and boring for me to play as opposed to previous MCF games. But this is just my opinion please feel free to disagree with me.

Go to: