nomatt
Herring
Herring
377 Posts

Re:Reviews for Mystery Case Files: Shadow Lake Collector's Edition

[Post New]by nomatt on Nov 20, 12 6:25 AM
Update to my previous glowing review.
I'm quickly becoming a little jaded with the game. There are areas where there is almost nothing to do, even the hint said I was on my own in one part that didn't seem to have anything to do with the story. The first hour (the demo) was brilliant but it just seems to have slowed right down and most of it become pointless. And puzzles that don't even give a clue as to what the goal is, is just plain frustrating. In fact the more I play it, the more dissapointed I'm getting. I really hope it gets going again because the start held so much promise.

Edited on 11/20/2012 at 6:39:19 AM PST

minkmoo
Seahorse
Seahorse
22 Posts

[Post New]by minkmoo on Nov 20, 12 6:52 AM
Love MC games, have them all, but this one is too weird for words. Doesn't give me a warm, fuzzy feeling. Don't think I'll be getting this one.

AZKalona
Seahorse
Seahorse
25 Posts

[Post New]by AZKalona on Nov 20, 12 7:00 AM
Just finished the demo. Awesome, awesome game. Love the guide. Love the story. I am a huge Mystery Case fan and eagerly await the new releases. This one looks to be the best. Many thanks Big Fish. I give this game Happy. Off to buy and play.

ruadhan
Starfish
Starfish
40 Posts

[Post New]by ruadhan on Nov 20, 12 7:03 AM
I've played about an hour so far and here are my impressions to date. This time around, you're not taking your instructions from or on behalf of Her Majesty the Queen; you are heading out to Maine to help a psychic who is a consultant for a tv ghost hunting show. So either you've lost the job working for the palace or you're moonlighting :-)

Okay, straight out I have to say I don't like live acting in games, but this time round the Mystery Case Files seem to have got it right. It's well integrated (unlike the 13th Pirate, where you had the 'busy' bartender just standing there staring off into space), the actors are much more 'natural' and approach it with the right mixture of tongue-in-cheek and seriousness (the host of the cheesy ghost hunting show is spot-on for that type of character) and it has smoother, tighter pacing. So well done!

The graphics are also excellent; this is one of the non-Ravenhurst games and the art style reflects that, but they are well-done. The music is pleasant and unobstrusive while adding to the atmosphere.

The Strategy Guide is an innovation and I'm still undecided about whether it works or not. Instead of text plus images, it gives you a selection of stills from the game with the solutions or locations you need for that particular area. There are no written descriptions or instructions at all.

There's a map, which is great because you don't have to trek backwards and forwards, you can just click on the location you need to visit next. The 're-assemble the psychic vision' thing is not great, because the squares tend to tumble around and - for me anyway - are hard to drag into position.

There's definitely an attempt to bring new things to the gameplay so that it's not just the same old 'hunt through junkpiles for random objects'. I'll have to see how it holds up in terms of plot when I get further in, but so far, I am impressed by the live acting which is miles better than anything I've seen in other games, both in this series and by other developers.

So, I'm enjoying myself so far!

annetterider
Guppy
Guppy
194 Posts

[Post New]by annetterider on Nov 20, 12 7:31 AM
Well what can I say about this game/movie.

GOOD THINGS: The story line is good.
Graphics good.
The acting of the people was OK.

NOT SO GOOD: Half the time I just sat here watching it with nothing to do.
The map, well it might as well not have one as it is useless.
Moving from place to place took way to long it started to drive
me mad.
Going from place to place also took forever, one almost
needs a packed lunch.
The SG is not worth opening, it does show you what to do, but
if you don't play these game often one would find it hard.

I don't play with the music on any games as the same music being played over and over during the game put me off.

With all the above about this game I stopped playing with 15 minute left.

I will not be buying this one.....now where did I put my delete button

Happy gaming fishy friends.

sandr1
Lobster
Lobster
99 Posts

[Post New]by sandr1 on Nov 20, 12 7:44 AM
I finished the game. I was dissapointed about the mini-games. They are way too simple. I expected the game was mind bending for advanced gamers, it is not at all. The mini-games are so simple, I think a 10 year old is able to do them all. The story line was logic and good, if that would not have been so simple as well. Every tiny little step is already explained from the medium (come back, I do psychic reading, come to get your pictures etc). To do that puzzles is not challenging, it is just turning the head around and wondering, if you are insane or what. The HO scenes were great. And that is the only great gaming issue I can mention. Sure it is nice to have the films. The pace of the game was boring as well. The psychic reading, the pictures, the HO scenes, here and there a basic mini-game. The former MCF games were much more differentiated, you never knew what comes next. Here I always knew (psychic reading, pictures, HO scenes). Where is the surprises?
I was fond of MCF because this is one of the game series for smart people. I come out of it BORED. If you are smart, you know what I mean (life can be awfully boring). There are so many games out there for the simple minded, why do that to the MCF series? I keep up my hope for next year.
The bonus was: find 50 morphing items all over the game after you opened a safe (and now, it was not challenging to find out the safe combination).

pvsquare
Guppy
Guppy
177 Posts

[Post New]by pvsquare on Nov 20, 12 7:57 AM
I have been a fan of Mystery Case Files ever since I bought Ravenshearst over three years ago. This will be a buy for me.

Reniemary
Jellyfish
Jellyfish
18 Posts

[Post New]by Reniemary on Nov 20, 12 8:05 AM
What a wonderful surprise this morning. Like others, I'm so so happy and excited to get to it!

I played demo for less than 5 minutes just to make sure game ran okay. Looks good so I'm off to buy.

I have played for years but don't post often. Mystery Case Files always sets the bar in my opinion.

When done correctly, I think the actors add something to the game. Morphy is a fun addition. I always enjoy a new challenge so not worried about the SG.

Off to play.

mystine
Guppy
Guppy
104 Posts

[Post New]by mystine on Nov 20, 12 8:17 AM
Ok...I don't really know if my review is going to help anyone....I'm just really on the fence about this one but am leaning toward a pass...maybe with a punch card I would get it....Ive only played the demo...but its just tedious to me...the story hasn't grabbed me yet...graphics are good as usual....but I'm finding myself more frustrated than not...especially for a CE....the SG is awful....yes it shows you what to do, but the layout is just annoying. Don't mean to be a downer on this one, but it happens. Wishing everyone a lovely Thanksgiving holiday....and no matter what your circumstances theres always something to be thankful for...and thank you Big Fish for all you do to keep our gaming spirits high Love and Peace to all <3

CoolGrammy1
Minnow
Minnow
257 Posts

[Post New]by CoolGrammy1 on Nov 20, 12 8:42 AM
Dark graphics add nothing to a storyline or a game AND Tiny objects in the dark only make the player frustrated and that does not sell games. The SG is useless....I still haven't finished the last MCF game because there was no damn explanation on a mini-game with no skip option so I won't go through that again. And why does every single thing have to be done in such a specific order? Everyone doesn't play the same way.....

A big build up to just disappointment...a no buy for me....there have been some great games lately that are so much better......and those are the game that I will be buying.

[Post New]by biscuitsmama on Nov 20, 12 9:26 AM
Well, what can I say. I think that maybe all the "hype" in the speculation thread got my hopes up a bit too high for this game. I somehow think that the design team at BFG is barking up the wrong tree. After EFR last year and now this game, I think I may be done with MCF.

Although the graphics are great, there are just too many things wrong to make this the stellar game I thought it would be. For one, I am not liking running around doing the bidding of ms. psychic. I find trying to "match" very difficult and tedious. I am normally very positive about my reviews but for me this game is not a winner.

The game may get better because the story is a bit interesting but I am finding myself bored and frustrated.

Sorry to be such a negative Nellie. Some of you may really, really like this game. I know that it has already been said - try it before you buy it. You might just love this one. It certainly is different.

bribling
Barracuda
Barracuda
3,396 Posts

[Post New]by bribling on Nov 20, 12 9:34 AM
This is not really a Review but I saw no Comments thread. This is a NO BUY for me and is the first MCF that I will not purchase. I had no technical problems. I played casual in High Def and, although I had black bars, they were not bad and the screen was wide enough to see everything. I have a wide screen laptop. So, why am I not purchasing? Here is the short list. Keep in mind that I played maybe 15 min. I did not even come close to finishing the Demo.

1. Ham acting
2. Ugly dreary art
3. Confusing HOS
4. Occasionally confusing gameplay
5. Overall an unpleasant experience

Note also, that when I purchase games the art is often the main consideration. I have bought a few poor games because the art was so outstanding. The art in this game is very good and also very ugly. I purchased the last 3 MCF games because of the art and because of my love of this ground-breaking, memorable series of games that I will always be grateful for. I did not, however, enjoy the last three as much as the earlier games. I especially was disappointed in the last two entries ( but still loved the art!). I will not buy this one, maybe not even when one day it is half priced. I just don't like it, nothing about it.

I also do not like videos. They bloat games to outrageous sizes and, as far as I am concerned, do not add anything to the game that could not be added without them. I like to play games. When I want to watch videos i go to Netflix, Youtube or TV. The size of this game is HUGE! I don't know if that is due to video footage or if this game is just loaded with hours of play but I suspect it is the video footage.

I do encourage you to try the Demo. Some of you will think it's the best game yet and others may agree with me. You will never know until you try it!

[Post New]by lazydogblue1 on Nov 20, 12 9:35 AM
I've never written a review before but after the amazing spec thread for this game I'm finding it, so far (just got the go ahead to visit Coroner's office), a bit of a letdown. To be honest, I found the spec thread puzzles and hints more of a challenge and a lot more fun than the puzzles in this game. I did think I was stuck (at the safe in the quarry) but that was because I was anticipating the solution to be more difficult than it was - and I'm not trying to give the impression I have sailed blissfully through all previous games without ever having to click the hint button or check a walkthrough

I have loved all the previous MCF games (esp Dire Grove) but this game is too prescriptive. From the outset, there began a predictable routine for what we have to do (find things, report back to Clarissa etc) and even though I am playing in Expert mode, I would have liked to use my initiative more rather than be prompted for my next move (come back to the hotel, detective) etc. I found Return to Ravenhearst more intriguing and quirky. Even the subtitled comments aren't as cheeky / snarky as they were in 13th Skull. Not sure how the story will end in this game, but as we already met the Ghost Patrol unharmed at the beginning of the game, it can't be too horrific (or can it?....)

However, this is still better than most other HO games and I am happy playing it and I don't want to appear a whinger. Just a bit disappointed really.

Enjoy

arthurC
Parrotfish
Parrotfish
424 Posts

[Post New]by arthurC on Nov 20, 12 9:50 AM
Strange .. it seems some love it, some hate it.

I'm about to download .. all I'm hoping is that it's better than EFR .. which I loathed and never finished (though I've tried at least a dozen times).

Jo

Sept24
Guppy
Guppy
151 Posts

[Post New]by Sept24 on Nov 20, 12 10:06 AM
Based on the demo only I am very interested in continuing to play this one as it is just so different and that's a huge plus to me. I liked 13th Skull and loved Dire Grove, but not a fan of the Ravenhearst Games that so many love so much. I Iike that it feels like an adventure and the hidden object scene was very unique. I don't mind the live actor scenes, but the over acting by Lea Thompson is sort of annoying.They must have told her to play it a bit campy and that is what she is trying to do but yuk. I am a little bit concerned after reading that Nomat loved it and then further into the game seems a bit disenchanted and I hope as he says it will pick back up to be as interesting as I think it seems from the beginning.

bestmommat
Lobster
Lobster
87 Posts

[Post New]by bestmommat on Nov 20, 12 10:30 AM
Sucked....sucked!!!!!

LoveYa24
Guppy
Guppy
157 Posts

[Post New]by LoveYa24 on Nov 20, 12 10:37 AM
I purchased the game after doing the demo and am sorry that I did. As other posters have mentioned it has gotten pretty tedious to go to a location, locate objects, give them to Cassandra and start the whole thing over.

I also thought there was too much Cassandra speaking and I had no option to skip her scenes.

I also found many scenes, at least to the point I am in the game now, to be dark. Difficult to locate items. And having to use a special camera to look into dark rooms is not fun for me.

Happy gaming to those who enjoyed. And thank you BFG for your efforts. I will look forward to next year's offering.

Edited for: I kept referring to the woman as 'Clarissa' instead of 'Cassandra' - oops, my mistake

Also, the SG I actually liked; but when I had trouble locating a 'penny' in a HO, I went to the SG and their list had no 'penny' so kind of not helpful. Ended up having to use the Hint button.

Also miss Achievements.

Edited on 11/20/2012 at 12:15:17 PM PST

[Post New]by daisyduck352 on Nov 20, 12 11:11 AM
Well here we go again. Another Mystery Case File.. I am a little disappointed, the older ones were so GREAT. Not that this isn't but it's something you have to get used to and do a little thinking at times. I will of course buy it as I have all the others. Graphics are ok, not as bright and crisp as some of the games but it kinda reflects what this game is all about. I didn't get very far as had to use the guide more than usual. It is different but like the last one. Will add more after I play it awhile as I might be more into the game. Right now give this a 3 out of 5 stars??? I finished the trial and I really am sorry to say.. I really don't like it much.. I am so disappointed and don't want to get the CE but would never be able to play it at all without the strategy guide, so don't know what I will do. Too many games out there that are so much better.

Edited on 11/20/2012 at 2:44:11 PM PST

[Post New]by broomeycroft on Nov 20, 12 11:16 AM
I was really looking forward to this - I love the MCF games but 15 minutes in and I am deleting. The HOs are impossible and I was just floundering around not knowing what I was doing - sorry devs not up to your usual standard

MURPHY
Angelfish
Angelfish
1,237 Posts

[Post New]by MURPHY on Nov 20, 12 11:23 AM
In MHO I think the only reason BF decided to "sweeten the pot" with getting CE's for SE price was that they knew they had an inferior game with Shadow Lake and this is their way of forcing you to buy their game to get other games. Not a good business practice!!! You have known for many years what customers prefer from our comments and yet you still seem to stray way too far into a completely different style with MCF. You had a good thing going for a long time, but really have lost that track! So disappointed in this game.

Go to: