lym_1609
Parrotfish
Parrotfish
431 Posts

Re:Reviews for Murder, She Wrote 2: Return to Cabot Cove

[Post New]by lym_1609 on Nov 23, 12 6:41 AM
This series was more "intense" than previous MSW. Lots more scenery and areas to explore. Better graphics and lots more mini puzzles or inventory usage than straight HOS. Still a fair bit of HOS but the improvement was obvious and with THREE different chapters to explore and solve!

LOVE IT!

Penguin29
Herring
Herring
363 Posts

[Post New]by Penguin29 on Nov 23, 12 9:46 AM
enjoyed the first murder she wrote and this one is much better. just finished and cannot wait for more.

gingergal
Manatee
Manatee
3,873 Posts

[Post New]by gingergal on Nov 23, 12 7:24 PM
I can't comment about the length (as I was taking lots of notes at the time) of this game but I felt for a straight SE it was good.

Overall re adventure and puzzles I thought it was 3/5 for hardness (with one very hard puzzle) with 5 being hardest.

I haven't played the original for years so my memory may not match up with today's reality but I had fond memories of it.

Murder she wrote was the first game I bought here back in the day I was playing straight HOGs, now I don't want to see another HOS as I've played so many but murder she wrote is one of only three series of straight HOG (hidden object game) I'd buy. So it was a pleasant surprise to find that 'adventure' has been introduced in this game - scenes didn't auto come up but you have to look for them. If you are used to IHOGs it's a simple/quaint game but for those who wanted a straight HOG may be disappointed.

That doesn't mean there weren't many HOS in fact there were 11 HOS in 1st case, 9 HOS in 2nd and 9 in 3rd case but I felt most were well spaced out and you didn't replay any more than twice (would have been nice if there were no repeats!)

I love old fashioned games like this as they do the HOS well, no junk piles and pleasant looking scenes that you want to stay in, and only a couple of tiny items but they were all so well defined which was great. I enjoyed the couple of 'stumpers' in a scene of so well hidden it's hard to find, this game shows others how to do this well and I do wish modern HOPA developers would see what a good one looks like.

It was the same as the first game you have to find the typewriter keys to fill in the blanks and if you find all 6 you get another hint. If you run out of hints it does replenish itself in both modes.

Puzzles, there were quite a few and some quite unique or you don't see much which was good. I really enjoyed the puzzles. There were a couple of hard ones (that fingerprint computer was hard but loved the challenge!) but I found accidentally that there were a couple of cheats on some, that it wouldn't allow you to click on the wrong tile etc. I thought they could have easily made it harder on the hard setting by not doing this. I thought it was a perfect hardness for a laid back kind of game, mostly easy with a couple thrown in you had to think.

to be continued

gingergal
Manatee
Manatee
3,873 Posts

[Post New]by gingergal on Nov 23, 12 7:25 PM
continued

The first puzzle you came across the moving paper one was the least enjoyable one.

The first and second case is set in the same location, with some buildings not being available in one case but are open in the other case. The last case is set in Ireland and I was glad as I like different scenery.

The voice overs were the same (I think) as the first one, shame Angela Lansbury herself couldn't do it as she has such a distinctive voice that is hard to match but they were well done as usual.

The first game had a choice of timed or casual and had a grade or evaluation at the end of each case here you don't have that choice. It would have been nice to have this mini achievement to see how well you did at the end of a case.

As much as the HOS here were good they weren't as good as the first game I like the setting of the original game better.

The first chapter I thought was quite long and a good length and I got excited that the other two would be the same but they were shorter.

The stories were pleasant but it wasn't like the real murder she wrote that she smacks herself on the head 'duh' and goes in wait for a trap figuring out the murderer as we've seen slips of speech etc and she remembered. I guess to make it more a game it relies on collecting things and using that as evidence which made it good gameplay and a different kind of story.

Overall I loved this updated blast from the past, and it's clear bright colours and graphics. If you are used to just modern HOPAs you may find this just a bit too old-fashioned and don't get it. But for the rest of us who just want a slightly updated version of a classic HOG and love the show it's the perfect prescription. Some tweaks (as mentioned above) would have been great.

So for those who are wanting that type of game try it out.

kristidumplin
Manatee
Manatee
3,656 Posts

[Post New]by kristidumplin on Nov 23, 12 8:03 PM
I enjoyed the first Murder, She Wrote game, mostly because I've always been such a big fan of the show. This game is much like the first. There are three mysteries to solve and you have the help of some familiar faces from Cabot Cove. Once again, you find missing typewriter keys to obtain more hints, and the hidden object scenes are not as junky as some, but some items may be a little tough to find. That's why it's called a hidden object game, and not a "hey - here it is..right here!"..game...lol. The hint button refills quickly within the HOS..I almost always play the casual or "normal" choice..and the hint button is helpful outside the HOS, as well. Voice-overs are adequate. Actually, the voice-overs are much better than the actual characters, especially Michael Flaherty, the fellow who works with MI6 and always got Jessica in such trouble. In the program itself, he was at least middle-aged, a bit stocky, graying hair..in the game, he looks like he's all of 21 years old!! His voice is pretty close, but his appearance is awful! Seth, the doc, doesn't look like Seth, and Mort the Sheriff doesn't look like Mort, and Jessica is about the closest, but, the voices aren't bad. The mini-games were fairly easy, and skippable in a short time. If you liked the first game, you'll probably like this one. It's about the same length, the same premise (everywhere Jessica goes..a dead person is bound to turn up), and it's not awful. It's not great, either...but it was a nice diversion.

lilTweet7
Herring
Herring
333 Posts

[Post New]by lilTweet7 on Nov 24, 12 12:43 PM
I've always loved these series of games. They are almost as good as the show when it was on television. I have to admit, I only played less than 3 minutes of the demo before purchasing, because the last game like this was very good, so I trusted the developers here. Graphics are charming and clear. Mysteries great, and the puzzles fun. I started to use a game credit, but decided to pay the sale price instead, and use the credit later for a full priced game.

Edited on 11/24/2012 at 12:45:09 PM PST

[Post New]by NancySusan on Nov 25, 12 6:23 AM
Really good reviews of this game already, so I won't go into much, other than to say, I did not buy the first Murder, She Wrote, and I won't be buying this one either, although it is much more varied in kinds of play than the first one. I was never a fan of the TV show (despite loving Angela Lansbury), and this game just didn't excite me -- mostly everything you needed to do was obvious. But i can see that it would be a lot of fun for other people. And I might buy it as a DD.

katkarman
Starfish
Starfish
54 Posts

[Post New]by katkarman on Nov 25, 12 1:53 PM
I love Murder She Wrote Cases. However, this one seems to be missing something. I can not put my finger on it exactly. I wish I could so i can help the wirters and developers of this game.

The graphics were good, dialogue was understandable. I blazed through the game in an hour. Not long enough. I would love to see more cases in MSW. The fun factor like the first installment was missing. The excitment of discoveries. I hope this helps the writers and developers.

Patter57
Seahorse
Seahorse
24 Posts

[Post New]by Patter57 on Nov 28, 12 1:28 PM
So far I am enjoying the game, got through the first murder! After playing the first Murder She Wrote, I find this one not near as refreshing but okay. I liked the first one much better and it had 5 books. This one only 3. I like the straight seek and find in the first one as opposed to this one also. But mainly got it for my mom, who enjoys straight seek and find and a few simple puzzles. I just hope this one is not too difficult for her....she will blame me!

Oh...and in the first series, there were flower gardens and flowers and other girlie stuff. I like that mixed in with the straight dead body laying on the ground.

Edited on 11/28/2012 at 1:30:17 PM PST

elldee2728
Shark
Shark
14,378 Posts

[Post New]by elldee2728 on Nov 30, 12 5:53 PM
Personally, Legacy Games isn't necessarily known to me for too many fun offerings, but "Murder, She Wrote 2" is a heck of a good time. It's composed of three very bright-colored, head-scratching mysteries that don't involve the occult or vampires or dark-souled witches (at least the first two episodes don't--I haven't had a chance to enjoy the third one yet). The first two stories seem to last almost as long as ALL of the initial release.

Two gameplay modes, sound and music sliders (you'd swear that both come right from the TV show), and gorgeous Autumn-colored graphics that you'd expect from that time of season in Maine. The voice acting is authentic, and occurs in-and-out of all the scenes, unlike some other games that just give you a "taste" at the beginning and then defer to written-only dialogue. There's one spider scene, and a bit of blood, but nothing that would turn me off.

There are considerable Hidden-Object scenes; they're very artistic, and include six typewriter keys to find to "up" the hint system, which is very helpful outside of those scenes This kind of H0 list doesn't include those missing letters, but you can still find most of them pretty easily. The H0 system is a typewriter at the bottom-left of the screen. The game could use a map, though, because there is a bit of travelling. A journal (bottom right) has both a "Clue" section and an "Objective" section--they're quite helpful.

The characters (Jessica Fletcher, Dr. Seth Hazlett, Sheriff Metzger, among other townsfolk) are well-portrayed, but stiff and sometimes inanimate. But their dress-code and "Manie-iac" language and accent are appropriate.

Lack of a map, and no real replay value? Four stars instead of five.

Regards, elldee

chickenjools
Squid
Squid
74 Posts

[Post New]by chickenjools on Dec 2, 12 11:30 AM
When I first started playing this game I had the feeling that I wasn't going to like it much. Before I knew it the demo was over and I was hooked.

Others have reviewed the gameplay etc so I won't repeat it here.

I'll just say the game is bright and sunny in spite of the murders! It's just so pleasant to play a game that doesn't involve dark, scary decrepit houses with disgusting lavatories and blood and gore.

I'm not a hidden object fan but these were very easy to see. I liked the quirky missing letters in the hidden object list and then having to find the typewriter keys in the scene. It was different and held my interest more than any other hidden object scene has. Neither did I come across a click penalty which is a massive bonus for me!

It's a charming game, simple, straightforward but with lots of running around. Suspend all reason or you'll just get annoyed! Lol!

I spent a punch card on it and haven't regretted it at all. It's not a great, great game but it's not half bad either.

Good one!

[Post New]by hydrogibbon on Dec 4, 12 2:39 PM
I loved the clarity and look of this game but found it awkward to play. I had to click just the right spot on many items or it didn't work. I liked it but was glad when it was over.

Laflamme
Stingray
Stingray
4,512 Posts

[Post New]by Laflamme on Dec 5, 12 8:53 AM
Review based upon completion of the game.

Jessica Fletcher has been retired in 2003, but she is back for three more cases. Two of them occur in her home town of Cabot Cove, Maine, while the third takes her to Ireland. Anybody familiar with the long running series should feel at home again instantly.

The Good:

+ Indian Summer beautifully captured
+ a little popup what happened to a closed location
+ the typewriter keys are back!
+ voiceovers very well done (still not the original actors I presume)
+ the three cases have a decent length each
+ items are not put back into HO scenes
+ varied minigames

The Neutral:

o only three cases instead of five (but they are longer in general)
o of those only two in Cabot Cove (the game title would suggest all three of them there)

The Bad:

- few character, no lip animations
- not all scenes "voice-overed" (they spared themselves the work for the little repeating comments)

Bottom Line: If you liked the first game and / or the series, definitely get this game!

Cobweb55
Minnow
Minnow
256 Posts

[Post New]by Cobweb55 on Dec 6, 12 4:48 PM
What a delightful game!! Nice break from the dark gloom and doom of late.... Game opened in widescreen with beautiful graphics. Voice overs lagged a bit, but not overly annoying. Took me three days of intermittent play to finish, very sad when it was done. I'll be going back to play the first Murder She Wrote this weekend. Hope there will be a 3rd and 4th installment!!

Reviews for Murder, She Wrote 2: Return to Cabot Cove

[Post New]by tricky31320 on Dec 15, 12 9:05 AM
bfgTokoro wrote:Hi Fishies!

What do you think of Murder, She Wrote 2: Return to Cabot Cove? We’d love to hear all about it, as would many of the other fishies in our pond! You can now share your review on our website, just pop over to the Murder, She Wrote 2: Return to Cabot Cove page <a href="http://bigfi.sh/Wwlvsj">here</a>.

Unsure how to submit a review? Please check our help article <a href="http://bigfishgames.custhelp.com/app/answers/detail/a_id/1872">Big Fish Game Reviews</a> for more information.

After sharing your review on our website, please feel free to repost your review in this thread!

Remember, a lot of fishies that will be reading your review will have never played the game before. If you are posting spoilers, be sure to include the words SPOILER ALERT at the top of your post .

To help other players get the most out of your review, you could add a note stating if you played the trial or full version and how far you have gotten in the game.

If you’re experiencing technical issues with this game, be sure to swim over to the support thread dedicated to the game <a href=http://forums.bigfishgames.com/posts/list/0/229730.page#4820858>here</a>.

**If you are seeking game help, the best thing to do is to start a new thread in the Game Forum by clicking on 'Create New Discussion'!

Happy gaming!

bfgTokoro

[Post New]by tricky31320 on Dec 15, 12 9:21 AM
Until someone that has finished this game writes a walk through. I am setting this game aside, games are meant to be fun. Not nerve racking. I think the person that was able to finish the game on Thanksgiving needs to write the walk through. I made the mistake of spending money on the other walk through"s that Big Fish sold as a game. I'm very disappointed in Big Fish making more money that way. I refuse to bite that bug again. If there were clues in this game to lead you to the right place it would be great. however, what I have come to has been quite by accident not by making a intelligent deduction. It makes it to frustrating to enjoy the game another waist of my money with Big fish. I really hope people read these reviews before they buy. I know I will in the future!!

tessalu
Seahorse
Seahorse
38 Posts

[Post New]by tessalu on Jan 2, 13 7:03 PM
Good - nice graphics, HOS not too hard, not too easy.
Bad - Holy Crap - most annoying game ever with all the to-ing and fro-ing and back-ing and forth-ing. Go to scene A, pick up one item, run down street, wait no - go back, wait, no, go back..no wait get something from---arrgghhh.
Not enjoyable at all.

I was thrilled when I saw this because I like the first one so much. What a disappointment. After I complete this (thanks to user created walkhru) I will not play again. And for this I spent $10?

tessalu
Seahorse
Seahorse
38 Posts

[Post New]by tessalu on Jan 2, 13 7:51 PM
And can I get my money back? Yuck......so frustrated. I'm dumping this thing out of my computer. Games are supposed to be stress relievers not stress creators.

lisablue4369
Flounder
Flounder
2,105 Posts

[Post New]by lisablue4369 on Jan 8, 13 8:43 AM
this game is like 3 in 1, you get to solve 3 different mystries at once. great game ----------doug & lisa

[Post New]by feenix2011 on Feb 1, 13 6:02 PM
What a fun game!! I just finished playing and I thoroughly enjoyed myself for the most part. May I say thank you gingergal for your walkthrough - I have sent you a personal message!! I didn't play the first "Murder She Wrote" game, so I have nothing to compare this to, but I thought it very entertaining and a complete joy to play. It is the kind of game I would recommend to any player. There is no "witchcraft" or "zombie" or "werewolf" or supernatural anything - there's not even rain - except in Ireland. I had a very good and relaxing and fun time!!

feenix

Go to: