GMMan_BZFlag
Squid
Squid
72 Posts

Re:Post any Alexander the Great: Secrets of Power technical issues here only

[Post New]by GMMan_BZFlag on Dec 5, 12 11:08 AM
When the game crashes it's most likely a profile issue. Because of the complexity of the save system, it's hard to restore a profile back into working order. The only thing you can really do is create a new profile and start over. Installing and uninstalling rarely solves the problem, unless the game data itself has been corrupted.

For the adventurous, the profiles are located at %appdata%\AlexanderTheGreat. There's a log file named Game_MainLog.log (name may be different depending on version), which will contain the error ("Exception") if the game has crashed. (Note that this is not everything the engine outputs. More is displayed on a console window, but the window is not created when you launch the game. It's complicated. But most of that stuff regards memory usage and whatnot that you don't need to concern yourself with.)

redape
Jellyfish
Jellyfish
11 Posts

[Post New]by redape on Dec 5, 12 9:58 PM
Hi - I'd like to throw in a suggestion here. I had trouble with being thrown out of the game and reported the issue to tech support. I followed suggestions that I upgrade my driver ... didn't make a difference. Then uninstalled and reinstalled the game .... still no joy. Browsing through the forum, I found what seems to be a pattern - at the stage when you are asked to choose either Sogdian Rock or Hyphasis India, I chose India. Then later realised a piece I needed for India was actually located in the Rock place, so switched over to there and found it. Then went back to India and that's about when the game started shutting down on me. So then I started again as a new player (as annoying as that was) and after solving all the other challenges, went first to the Rock, solved everything there and then went to India. NO PROBLEMO! Finished the game in India. So I am suggesting that the bug kicks in if you go to India and then switch between it and the Rock. Will submit my theory to Tech Support, but thought this may be useful to investigate further and useful to other players to prevent being locked out of the game.

GMMan_BZFlag
Squid
Squid
72 Posts

[Post New]by GMMan_BZFlag on Dec 5, 12 11:55 PM
@redape Out of curiosity is it the Collector's Edition you're playing (with Alexandria and the underwater level)? I've went through the game around half a dozen times trying different combinations and for me it worked fine doing India before Sogdian Rock. Also, could you post the exception from the log location mentioned previously when you play with your old profile? I want to know if it's some sort of scripting error.

redape
Jellyfish
Jellyfish
11 Posts

[Post New]by redape on Dec 10, 12 1:45 PM
GMMan_BZFlag wrote:@redape Out of curiosity is it the Collector's Edition you're playing (with Alexandria and the underwater level)? I've went through the game around half a dozen times trying different combinations and for me it worked fine doing India before Sogdian Rock. Also, could you post the exception from the log location mentioned previously when you play with your old profile? I want to know if it's some sort of scripting error.

Hi - No, Big Fish Games don't even have a Collector's Edition, according to the tech support guy with whom I was corresponding. Sorry, but I don't understand what you mean about the 'exception from the log location' - that's a bit over my head. All I can tell you is that I can get into the screen where you continue play, but if I used the original player profile, the game would not commence, but dropped me straight back to my home page. Hope that helps but, if not, drop me another post and tell me how to get you the information you need.

GMMan_BZFlag
Squid
Squid
72 Posts

[Post New]by GMMan_BZFlag on Dec 11, 12 10:32 AM
I'll PM you the instructions.

bfgIzara
Flounder
Flounder
2,151 Posts

[Post New]by bfgIzara on Dec 11, 12 11:51 AM
Hey Fishies,

Just wanted to swim in and let you know that there's been a new build released for the game to help with those crashing issues in the end.

Feel free to check here for more specifics on the update.

Just uninstalling and reinstall the game to get that update!

Happy gaming!

bfgIzara

redape
Jellyfish
Jellyfish
11 Posts

[Post New]by redape on Dec 13, 12 3:00 PM
Yay! A new build. Good to hear, although I've now finished the game. May just play it again some day, though.

Go to: