moesart
Minnow
Minnow
242 Posts

Re:Reviews for Building the Great Wall of China

[Post New]by moesart on Nov 27, 12 7:06 AM
It's not the best I've played but I'm buying. I mean, where's the strategy if it's a relaxed mode? I don't like the clicky clicky on the dragon and I wish there was a way to kill the fire dragon. I don't know what the fort was for but maybe I'll find out later.

soblessed57
Manatee
Manatee
3,780 Posts

[Post New]by soblessed57 on Nov 27, 12 7:17 AM
Agree totally with ~gamergirl675
As is 2 stars. With the addition of an untimed mode 3 stars. With a few tweaks (allow us to plan ahead by clicking ahead and don't force our guys to run home in between tasks) and this is easily a 4 star game.

Penny1942
Clownfish
Clownfish
554 Posts

[Post New]by Penny1942 on Nov 27, 12 7:45 AM
I've d/l the demo and will probably enjoy playing for awhile but based on the above reviews will no be buying the game even with expiring game coupons. After raising 5 boys I've had my fill of TM with no relaxed mode. Would love to know which TM game came out with a rebuild... I could go buy that one.

Edited:
I will move this to the comments thread as it is not really a review.

Edited on 11/27/2012 at 7:46:35 AM PST

angelfish106
Pufferfish
Pufferfish
1,378 Posts

[Post New]by angelfish106 on Nov 27, 12 8:18 AM
What a charming little game! Absolutely delightful graphics, so colourful and evocative of the place it is set in. The little characters are cute and the gameplay easy enough to understand.

I got through the first 13 levels with 3 stars, although only just scraped one of them by freezing the timer! The dragon shooting was manageable for me but I can see how some would not like this part; reminded me of the annoying wolf-bashing in one of the MKFTP games.

I didn't find the timer too harsh although it was tight for time on some levels. I do like a relaxed mode to play through the game first although it's not a deal breaker; it just gives me a feel for the gameplay without stressing. It has been pointed out that without a timer, there is no challenge to a TM game and to some extent I agree. For me, A Gnome's Home; The Great Crystal Crusade was boring without the timer. But the Island Tribe games are great fun even without it! It seems to vary from game to game in this genre.

Still, the developer really should consider a new build with a relaxed mode or at the very least allow the player to complete the level with no stars. And chaining would be useful, although adding this to Northern Tale delayed it's release for absolutely ages; must take a lot of re-programming!

Since I have a PCC this cute game is a buy for me. I love the challenge of trying for 3 stars and don't mind no relaxed mode

lovemybook
Guppy
Guppy
165 Posts

[Post New]by lovemybook on Nov 27, 12 8:47 AM
I love these types of games and have bought nearly every one - Roads of Rome, Kingdom for the Princess, the great Northern Tales, etc. This one is absolutely physically beautiful and I was excited to see it.

However, the real problem for me on this one is the lack of ability to "queue" actions - to build up a list of actions. You have to click ONLY as workers become available, which leads to a lot of frustrated and frantic clicking - a deal breaker for some of us older folks. Less strategy, more frantic clicking. Northern Tales, if I remember, has an "option" to turn on queuing or not, which is a really great idea. I loved that one.

There was one game like this, where you didn't get to queue - can't remember the name - I bought it, and gave up around halfway through the game - it was too much for me. So I probably will not buy this one, as pretty as it is, or perhaps on sale day.

So sorry. I would love to reward the developer for a beautiful game, and a shame such a small artifact keeps me from buying.

chiniakbay
Starfish
Starfish
51 Posts

[Post New]by chiniakbay on Nov 27, 12 9:19 AM
I would buy this if it didn't have a timer. I have passed up so many games because of no Relaxed mode. Thank you for helping me save my money.

MarkAlan
Herring
Herring
314 Posts

[Post New]by MarkAlan on Nov 27, 12 10:02 AM

Edited on 11/28/2012 at 5:08:30 AM PST

Csustar
Clownfish
Clownfish
565 Posts

[Post New]by Csustar on Nov 27, 12 10:44 AM
Loving and knowing TM games, after reading the reviews I am not even going to do the trial hour. I don't like the ones where you cannot que up the tasks and the little men have to go back to the hut, house or whatever. And, I really detest the ones with flying whatever they are over the grounds and doing destruction. Hate that frantic clicking to get rid of them and trying to repair what they destroyed.
I love great graphics which I understand this game has, but I am not going to get suckered in just over that.
I do hope the developers are reading, listening or whatever to the comments.

LoveYa24
Guppy
Guppy
157 Posts

[Post New]by LoveYa24 on Nov 27, 12 10:54 AM
I really liked this game because I enjoy playing TM games and beating the timer.

That being said, I do feel there definately should be an option for ones who prefer no timers.

I enjoy HOGs also. We have convinced those developers to offer different playing levels - easy, advanced, hardcore. Again, I prefer hardcore, but that does not mean other players shouldn't have the option to play in a different mode.

Surely we can help ones who do not want the timer by supporting their posts.

BronzeLady
Starfish
Starfish
48 Posts

[Post New]by BronzeLady on Nov 27, 12 10:58 AM
It was just this year that i became aware that "Time Management" for BF didnt necessarily mean TM. I found out some r what i consider 'resource' games and i immediately became hooked when i discovered this genre of games. So i immediately d/l the game and agree to an extent with most of the complaints.

I dont like how the timer functions. But i wont complain about it. It makes my determination much greater to get 3 stars each level -- and makes the cost of the game worth my time and money for the enjoyment of accomplishing this feat.

I cant stand that Rainbow character -- she keeps interfering with the flow of my game. I am busy clicking and she pops up and then u cant even read what she had to say because the screen disappeared because u were clicking on an item at the exact same time. That flash is extremely annoying! (Hey devs .. this aspect is a v poor design.)

I had turned off the tutorial after a bit, but had to turn it back on when i got to that dragon. One had no idea what in the heck to do. So i replayed the level with the tutorial turned back on (hey devs .. neat feature) and discovered how easy and unchallenging it was to defeat it.

All in all, for those who love (and are able) to handle a fast-clicking 'resource' game, this one appears to be a buy .. at least for me it is!!!!

mtvoyager
Herring
Herring
318 Posts

[Post New]by mtvoyager on Nov 27, 12 11:08 AM
I really like this game, except I like to click the next action in advance and not have to wait til the guys get back in the house. Otherwise I do like the game. FInally!!! a break from the HOA games. More non HOA games please!!!

[Post New]by rosie28sammy on Nov 27, 12 11:13 AM
Definite purchase for me! I was surprised my hour went by so quickly.

I'm a sucker for any building game, but I thought this one very enjoyable. For me, it was a little too easy and short, but even if I didn't have a punch card credit, I would still purchase it. I got halfway through the game during my hour demo with three stars on all levels so the challenge isn't there as much as it is for other building games, but that only adds to the theme in my opinion. Since the storyline is about the building of the Great Wall, there is a peacefulness about the game. Each level has additional objects to obtain which go in your inventory of "medals". This inventory is shown at the end of every level so you can see what it is you "won". Each object has a name that comes up when you hover your mouse over it. Each level adds to the building of a stone "icon" so at the end of each section, the icon is finished. Similiar to one of the other builder games that took place in Greece (can't remember the name right now).

Another thing I liked was the information given at the beginning of each level. It basically tells you exactly what to do, what to collect, and also gives an interesting part of the story. The little storyline tidbits add to the allure of the game in my opinion.

The only fast clicking I found was in defeating the dragon that comes along on most levels. Still, I found it easy to do. If someone basically builds all their buildings first, there isn't a lot of clicking to do. I do like the builder games where you can queue the actions, but most of the buidling games I've purchased here do not include that option so I am used to it. For me, it didn't take away from the enjoyment of the game.

Thanks BF for another building game! Please keep them coming and I will continue to buy them!

Edited on 11/27/2012 at 11:15:03 AM PST

amj0963
Whale Shark
Whale Shark
16,544 Posts

[Post New]by amj0963 on Nov 27, 12 11:45 AM
love the building games and i thought wow i can build the great wall of china. wrong because it is timed i deleted it.

if you fix this and make it also untimed then it will be a definite buy for me.

MoreOver
Clownfish
Clownfish
853 Posts

[Post New]by MoreOver on Nov 27, 12 2:01 PM
I agree with Valdy. The lack of click ahead makes it a no-buy for me. That and no relax mode. What were they thinking?

gwladys99
Squid
Squid
65 Posts

[Post New]by gwladys99 on Nov 27, 12 2:20 PM

Edited on 11/28/2012 at 5:13:14 AM PST

Dialogue
Minnow
Minnow
202 Posts

[Post New]by Dialogue on Nov 27, 12 2:43 PM
I was happy to see that we have gotten to another part of the world to build something. I really am enjoying Northen Tale and wanted to enjoy this game too but I am so slow at these games it took me two tries to get three stars on level two. I need a relaxed mode. I love to build but I don't like a lot of pressure. The building, watching the workers, enjoying the scenery at my leisure is what makes building games enjoyable to me. I don't even mind rebuilding buildings due to dragon damage if I have time to think straight. A great strategist I am not but I love to build anyway.

The little guys running back to the house to take a break was annoying too. It wasn't a deal breaker for me but I wish they could do a few things along the way back to the house like real people do.

Relaxed mode or being able to finish when all the stars are exhausted is a must for me. I don't mind working overtime but I don't like being rushed. I never bought any Time Management games until I was allowed to work beyond the timer. Too much stress.

I rate this game for the game itself and for the timer. A no buy for me. I'll keep looking for the update because I enjoyed the game.

Nortank
Lobster
Lobster
86 Posts

[Post New]by Nortank on Nov 27, 12 4:41 PM
Played the demo.

I don't like that you can't click ahead. If you want to manage time, you need guys going to the next job as soon as they are free. It is very distracting to have to keep watching to see if a guy is back in the hut. That alone makes it a no-buy for me.

I really can't see why people are going wow over the graphics. I find them simple and some of the objects that are non-clickable are distracting. Also, I find the main objects too small and uninteresting.

Add to that no relaxed mode - and I have no intention to buy or even use a coupon to play this game any longer.

mkastor
Herring
Herring
375 Posts

[Post New]by mkastor on Nov 27, 12 5:34 PM
I stupidly bought this before I read the reviews. If I had known there was no relaxed mode or no blog walkthrouigh, I never would have bought it. I have been stuck on the same level now for hours and I think it will only get worse the further along I go, if I even make it that far. Too bad...it looked like fun!

gamergirl675
Dolphin
Dolphin
6,156 Posts

[Post New]by gamergirl675 on Nov 27, 12 7:42 PM

Edited on 11/28/2012 at 5:17:33 AM PST

MarkAlan
Herring
Herring
314 Posts