MzShel
Squid
Squid
64 Posts

Re:Comments for "Building The Great Wall Of China"

[Post New]by MzShel on Nov 27, 12 6:16 PM
I was thinking of buying right up until I had to rapidly click to shoot the dragon. No thanks. That was totally pointless and tedious.

thecaptain777
Guppy
Guppy
139 Posts

[Post New]by thecaptain777 on Nov 27, 12 9:02 PM
I do like this game but I agree with SublimeOne about the lack of chaining of tasks - it's tedious that the workers have to go "home" in between each task. In some levels where there is a very long road to travel, It gets so boring waiting for the little workers to return to base before going out again often to the same place they were at a minute ago and where they could have performed all the tasks whilst they were there. I feel it's an unnecessary waste of the limited amount of time we have to do everything.

Also if you are going to make us shoot a dragon, please let it stay shot for the whole length of that level.

Edited on 11/27/2012 at 9:04:16 PM PST

angelfish106
Pufferfish
Pufferfish
1,378 Posts

[Post New]by angelfish106 on Nov 28, 12 2:14 AM
MzShel wrote:I was thinking of buying right up until I had to rapidly click to shoot the dragon. No thanks. That was totally pointless and tedious.

Apparently you don't have to shoot the dragon to progress. And it will still come back and destroy your buildings whether you shoot it or not.

cherbtoo
Orca Whale
Orca Whale
22,629 Posts

[Post New]by cherbtoo on Nov 28, 12 6:51 AM
pp pp pp pp pp pp pp pp
pp pp pp pp pp pp pp pp pp pp pp
pp pp pp pp pp pp pp pp pp pp
pp pp pp pp pp pp pp pp pp
pp pp pp pp pp pp pp pp

pp pp pp pp pp pp pp pp
pp pp pp pp pp pp pp pp
pp pp pp pp pp pp pp pp

Thank you very much indeed for the good news

pp pp pp p pp
pp pp pp
pp p _\ /_
pp pp / \
pp pp pp
pp pp p
pp pp
pp p
pp p
pp p
pp pp
pp pp p pip
pp pp p pp pp pp pp pp
pp pp pp pp pp p

12george
Guppy
Guppy
102 Posts

[Post New]by 12george on Nov 28, 12 3:32 PM
I won't buy this game unless they come out with a untimed game...Too frustrating !!! Games should be fun !!!!

[Post New]by cottoncandy2 on Nov 28, 12 6:32 PM
12george wrote:I won't buy this game unless they come out with a untimed game...Too frustrating !!! Games should be fun !!!!

IMO removing the timer from a time management defeats the whole purpose of the game -- where is the management part, you're just building things. A time management game is supposed to help you learn how to prioritize tasks.

Wolverine257
Minnow
Minnow
210 Posts

[Post New]by Wolverine257 on Nov 28, 12 8:20 PM
I don't see the point in taking you to a new screen just to shoot the dragon. Other games of this type make you clickety-click right there on screen (remember the clouds and bats?!). Anyway, the gray dragons do stay dead if you shoot them until they die; too bad you can't kill the colored fire dragons. Seriously, we're on a timer, resources are excrutiatingly slow to acquire in later levels, and your workers are rejects from the molasses factory... and then you repeatedly burn down my food sources after I spent half the level just getting enough wood to build it. GRRRR

The concenteation mini-game was lame... you don't get anything for it other than some pretty gold stars. Hey, they could let us weaken or scare away that fire dragon in a mini-game... that would be awesome, 3 and the weenie won't bother you in that area. That would be sweet!

My major issue is that you don't really get a speed bonus for adding new guys. Sure, more people to do things SLOWLY, but considering that "work faster" is only a one-time shot and these guys are only marginally quicker than George Romero Zombies, it would sure be nice to get a speed boost with pagoda upgrades!! I could almost stand the whole "return home" nonsense, and maybe the lack of chaining, if they would just hurry up!

soymocha
Shark
Shark
11,574 Posts

[Post New]by soymocha on Nov 28, 12 10:18 PM
WELL. loved this game up to level 22. Had to replay a few levels up till now to get gold. Which is just fine.. But really devs why do you think it is enjoyable to have 5 or more fire dragons destroy building after building after building in just one level.. If I had know this was going to happen, I would not have bought the game.. A really downer for me, VERY frustrating to say the least. Not even sure I want to finish the game now, and will think twice before buying another game from this developer.

bella81762
Orca Whale
Orca Whale
24,424 Posts

[Post New]by bella81762 on Nov 28, 12 11:39 PM
cottoncandy2 wrote:
12george wrote:I won't buy this game unless they come out with a untimed game...Too frustrating !!! Games should be fun !!!!

IMO removing the timer from a time management defeats the whole purpose of the game -- where is the management part, you're just building things. A time management game is supposed to help you learn how to prioritize tasks.

and this is why the different sub genres need to be in thier own catagory..i will never play a daash tm game. but i adore builders, i play 1st just to get thru, then i go back to get gold, tm game is too broad of a term, people that like "diner dash" are not neccessarily the same ones that are going to like "royal envoy"

2 diff types of games imo

angelfish106
Pufferfish
Pufferfish
1,378 Posts

[Post New]by angelfish106 on Nov 29, 12 3:51 AM
cottoncandy2 wrote:

Having the option to play any type of building game without the timer gives you the opportunity to play it through and try different ways to complete the levels with 3 stars (if that is your ultimate goal). You can't learn any game first time through; an un-timed mode gives you the chance to practice. And any game that stops you from progressing and forces you to keep replaying a level (if you can't finish it in the time the developers consider you should be able to) becomes frustrating.

Edited on 11/29/2012 at 3:53:09 AM PST

[Post New]by cottoncandy2 on Nov 29, 12 3:06 PM
The whole point is this is a TM game, not a builder. Yes, they are two different types of games and that's why they're called different things. This is a time management game. If you remove the timer, it is no longer that. It puts it in a whole different category like H0Gs and IH0Gs and FR0Gs. Some people like one and not the other but if you remove the hidden objects from a H0G, then it's just a game.

Valdy
Marlin
Marlin
9,383 Posts

[Post New]by Valdy on Nov 30, 12 1:27 AM
Just wanted to say that to me, this type of game shouldn't come under the TM category, but under Strategy.

A game like "Diner Dash", where you have to serve people quickly so they don't get annoyed and leave your restaurant, is cleary a TM game. You have to work fast or you won't get results.

However, with the "Roads of Rome" type of games, you have to clear and repair the roads, rebuild workshops and farms, and other buildings, get rid of certain creatures that are blocking your way, and maybe find the odd feather or gem in the process...

But where is the rush? Why would I have to do the above in a certain time period? Who is waiting at the end of the road, stopwatch in hand, and driving us on to hurry up? No one. So why call this a TM game?

So OK, if you want to rush through this game, then fine. But I don't. And several people have advised not to collect all the goods - it's not necessary and time-wasting.
But the thing is, I do like to collect everything, I do like to take my time, look around and see where I should go next. This game shouldn't even have a timer, IMO, but at the very least it should also have a relaxed mode.

angelfish106
Pufferfish
Pufferfish
1,378 Posts

[Post New]by angelfish106 on Nov 30, 12 2:03 AM
Absolutely agree with Valdy on this game; it should be classed as strategy. Although there may be an element in the story that requires the player to finish the game before some disaster befalls the hero/village/country, there's no reason to rush through each level that I can see. Only the developer has decided that you should.

And Northern Tale, Island Tribe and A Gnome's Home are all similar, yet they have a casual mode. Why not this one?

[Post New]by cottoncandy2 on Nov 30, 12 2:17 PM
Well then we can agree to disagree. If it wasn't time management, then there wouldn't be a timer. You have so many tasks and you have to complete those tasks within a certain time limit. If that isn't time management then I don't know what is. Yes, there is a certain strategy involved, but the strategy is what allows you to handle the time management part. It's a time management/strategy game just like like you have H0G/adventure games.

Removing the timer defeats the whole purpose of the game. They aren't for everybody so if you don't like them, don't buy them. That's why there's a demo. There are games to suit everybody. Not every person is going to like every type of game and there's nothing wrong with that, but I don't think it's fair to expect the developers to make their game into something that it isn't.

I agree that it's a frustrating game at times but the feeling of satisfaction and accomplishment I get when I beat those miserable dragons is worth it.

Edited on 11/30/2012 at 2:19:37 PM PST

4babes4me
Parrotfish
Parrotfish
402 Posts

[Post New]by 4babes4me on Nov 30, 12 5:01 PM
Off to check out the new pc version released today to see what's changed.

sparkle76
Marlin
Marlin
9,781 Posts

[Post New]by sparkle76 on Nov 30, 12 9:35 PM
i really enjoy trying to beat the timer in these types of games... it gives a challenge and that is what i enjoy, even if i have to replay the level over and over, it is such a sense of achievement when i crack it!
however, i understand that not everyone does, so therefore, it is really great if the devs give us the option of playing either timed or untimed
thanks to these devs for adding the untimed option for those that like to play without timers

[Post New]by cyndelou on Dec 2, 12 11:35 AM
I finished the game with 3 stars on every level. I love this game. Wish it was longer.
Getting awful tired of hidden objects and match 3. Will have to look into shockwave
games.

Go to: