Nolaj
Starfish
Starfish
57 Posts

Re:Reviews for Fairy Tale Mysteries: The Puppet Thief Collector's Edition

[Post New]by Nolaj on Dec 2, 12 7:38 AM
I too am so sick of dark dreary games. Nutcracker, and the awakening games were so lovely to look at. Even the dark prince is beautiful to look at. I want more beauty in games too. I am sure they will not listen to us, but maybe if we yell loud enough and often enough they will. I was so disapointed with the dark and ugly MCF too, there first ones were so much better. I love BF and they can only offer what is given to them to offer, so I guess we need to just keep yelling!!!!!!!

tcarter50
Guppy
Guppy
123 Posts

[Post New]by tcarter50 on Dec 2, 12 7:56 AM

Edited on 12/02/2012 at 4:08:39 PM PST

dancemom1
Angelfish
Angelfish
1,198 Posts

[Post New]by dancemom1 on Dec 2, 12 8:26 AM
Puppets again...really? Nothing original in this game. Graphics weren't bad, but the color, or lack thereof, was depressing. This is winter, it's already dark and ugly. I do not care for the monochrome "color" of this game at all.

There is no jump map (always a plus for me), so unless you are quite awake and have a pretty good memory, you will have to run all over the place to fine out where a location was 3-4 moves ago. It at least needs a cursor that tells you what is in a general location when you point at it. The SG is okay, but again, no direction of a location, e.g. back 2, left, etc. This game needs that. Hint system good, music okay. Game play was good.

This game did not draw me in at all. it could easily have been a very nice game, but dialogue is sparse and the music get boring. I may purchase this one just to complete my points for a free game, but otherwise, this one is going in the puddle for a "maybe some day" purchase.

As always, try it for yourself. We all have different tastes in games and you may find this one quite enjoyable. Thanks for the reviews.

saphhire
Herring
Herring
329 Posts

[Post New]by saphhire on Dec 2, 12 9:53 AM
WOW WOW WOW THEY ARE SELLING THIS A CE NOT EVEN WORTH SE my 2000 games are better then this NO NOTHING

NO BUY HERE

mrssharon
Guppy
Guppy
192 Posts

Poor Example of A Hidden Object Game

[Post New]by mrssharon on Dec 2, 12 10:20 AM
This game was probably the poorest example of a hidden object game I've played in a while. It was even worse than a seek and find game where that is all you do.

In the first few cut scenes we find a man who seems to be speaking for the crowd. His actual voice was okay, but there was no expression on his face, just his lips moving.

The music was dreary (if you want to call it music instead of a mood-setting background ) and didn't change throughout the demo, at least not that I noticed.

Some reviewers have said there was no color and mostly I have to agree. Even the scenes with color were bland.

The puzzles were first-grade simple and finding a key to open a lock was made so easy by attaching a key chain with the symbol of the lock on it... well, why have us hunt for the key then?

The HOS were a bit of a challenge but only because the objects were small sometimes or blended into another object so subtly you didn't spot it. I also agree with other reviewers that once a scene is used, create a new one for the next HOS. Reduce, reuse, recycle just doesn't work here! And while I'm on the subject, the objects to be found should be kept in the period of the story. The only time an exception should be made is in the case of a time-travel game.

I did not like all the back and forth of the game. Waste of time. Why have me find objects all over the place only to send me back to the start to make it usable in another scene farther down the road? It could have been made usable right next to where I had to use it.

I can't comment on the strategy guide since I didn't use it. I usually find them to be little more than a walk-through.

I have played games by this developer before and they were usually very good. Makes it seem like they found this one in someone's desk drawer and said, "Oh, we forgot to use this 3 years ago!"

Would love to see fresh story lines, more modern settings, and less gloomy been there, done that, bought the t-shirt games.

Definitely not a game for me.

indigobuni
Seahorse
Seahorse
30 Posts

[Post New]by indigobuni on Dec 2, 12 10:21 AM

Edited on 12/02/2012 at 4:09:18 PM PST

Oldgamer99
Squid
Squid
73 Posts

[Post New]by Oldgamer99 on Dec 2, 12 11:39 AM
Meh. This is not a bad game. It's just not a really good one. This kind of format, where the speaker is at the bottom making mouth motions is why I like live actors, but that's just me. As with Cherb, my screen looked stretched to the limits. It seems dated, especially the HOs. I'll wait for the SE while playing Nutcracker again.

Eoarod
Flounder
Flounder
2,391 Posts

[Post New]by Eoarod on Dec 2, 12 12:33 PM
This game does have a bit of a "dated" feel to it (have not encountered any interactive H0 scenes yet...) and MY those are some wide black bars!

Still the graphics are very nice (caveat - I'm not one bothered by dark or dreary it is very much both of those so far!)! With a very large "Tech issues" thread I'll think on this one at least until we know whether or not we'll receive an update to fix glitches! Sad to have two CEs this week with tech problems

Now, what I do like about this game is the story! It is drawing me in - and for a change the Journal is a large part of this (vs. simply being a task list as Journals often are). I'm enjoying reading all the journal notes and correspondences; seems like lots of care and detail went into writing them! Enjoying the VO's and characters as well.

Of course, you can get all of those nifty plusses with a the SE later on. With bonus content unknown - hrm. I'll just hang out on the fence and see what tech resolutions arise and maybe wait for the SE - I do think it is worth it as an SE for sure!

Tech issues are a bummer because today would be the day to buy so as to take advantage of a bonus punch...but even if I were madly in love with this game it seems too risky to buy a game that's crashing for so many folks!

Give this game a try at the very least and...

Happy Gaming!

abbyD
Lobster
Lobster
90 Posts

[Post New]by abbyD on Dec 2, 12 12:46 PM

Edited on 12/02/2012 at 4:09:52 PM PST

JanG7
Guppy
Guppy
110 Posts

[Post New]by JanG7 on Dec 2, 12 1:16 PM

Edited on 12/02/2012 at 4:10:44 PM PST

[Post New]by daisyduck352 on Dec 2, 12 1:28 PM
Picture iwas rather dull and colors not great. Storyline has been done before and not as good as other's. Don't know how this would be considered an CE as in my opinion NOT.. Puzzles were ok and voice overs ok. Hints reloaded fast. I thought it would be lots better but was disappointed.

mst3kr
Guppy
Guppy
115 Posts

[Post New]by mst3kr on Dec 2, 12 1:46 PM
Ugh. What an exercise in futility and boredom. Mediocre graphics, mediocre puzzles, mediocre voice overs, mediocre storyline, mediocre mechanics... Getting the drift? No map, very slow load times, horribly set up "journal", terrible & terribly misused music... As a seasoned vet of several hundred BFG Hid Obj and Adv games, this one was just all around awful. The poor reviews by myself & other fishies is well justified...

And if you think that's because we fishies have had some strong games recently (Christmas Stories - Nutcracker, Mystery Of The Ancients: Curse of the Black Water, Eternal Journey: New Atlantis, Abyss: The Wraiths of Eden) and we're unfairly comparing this one to those, just demo this one. You'll see what mediocre is all about...

out of

Pixielate
Guppy
Guppy
159 Posts

[Post New]by Pixielate on Dec 2, 12 3:03 PM
I just could not get interested enough to continue the demo. Zzz. Plus, as mentioned by those before me: the game is dark, sometimes hidden objects really tiny or obtuse. For me, there is also too much dialogue and what's with all of the papers? If I want to read a book, I will, but when I want to play, I want to have fun and the game should capture my interest.

bfgMonongahela
Manatee
Manatee
4,448 Posts

[Post New]by bfgMonongahela on Dec 2, 12 4:13 PM
Hi Fishies,

I just want to remind you that we'd like to keep this thread focused on game reviews as per our proactive reminder.

More general chat about the game fits better over in this thread here. And if you're having a technical issue, please check in and post in that specific thread here.

I'm going to go through and edit posts that don't include a review of the game now. If you have any questions, please don't hesitate to get in touch with one of us Mods.

Thank you!

bfgMonongahela

katelynn58
Seahorse
Seahorse
32 Posts

[Post New]by katelynn58 on Dec 2, 12 4:39 PM
by tookat on Dec 2, 12 12:51 AM
ok...not a review, not yet.
Played the demo for fifteen minutes and it seems a decent game, if not a perfect one, but I am SO tired of dark and dreary looking games.
Set them in the day, or don't make the night..or the games quite so gloomy.

I agree with you tookat... I am so over all the darkness, and the demonic and occult games. There is so much more to life that is still filled with mystery and intrigue... as I've ranted before, I like a creepy hotel or scary mansion as much as the next person, but the variety that the Nutcracker gave us this week was amazing. Beautiful colors and a lot of thought! Worthy of a CE! Although this game is OK, it's nothing I haven't seen before many times, so I will probably wait for the SE.

megwoman25
Clownfish
Clownfish
742 Posts

[Post New]by megwoman25 on Dec 2, 12 6:59 PM
What happened to this developer??? All the games released by this developer in the past year have been AWFUL, in my opinion of course. This one is no exception and it definitely not at all CE worthy. You have no idea what extras you are even getting because you can't see them until after you finished the game and what is it with this developer and the drab blue and gray scenes in all of their games lately? I can name 3 others they have released in the past 2 years that look exactly like this or have a theme almost the same. Its sad to me that this developer has fallen from grace as at one time, I truly enjoyed their games. The only game I liked from them in the past year was Infected: The Twin Vaccine but even that wasn't up to what I believe they can actually do. I played 30 minutes of this and was repulsed not only by the drab graphics but the fact its another puppet game, more kids souls being taken, terrible voiceovers that look outdated and way too much dialogue that doesn't even make sense. This company needs to seriously evaluate what they are doing, dump what they are working on and go in a new direction. I can't say their name here but they should be really ashamed of themselves putting out this garbage and expecting people to pay double. Shame Shame

lym_1609
Parrotfish
Parrotfish
431 Posts

[Post New]by lym_1609 on Dec 3, 12 5:21 AM
HOS is irritating, no logical things to find, like feather etc. Why do u need feathers in a few HOS!?

BUT, GREAT graphics, good and creepy storyline, live like graphics with things swinging, flying whatever.

LOVE IT!

WHY do devs not include an interactive map with tasks bar/icons?

Roos53
Squid
Squid
70 Posts

[Post New]by Roos53 on Dec 3, 12 2:28 PM
Well BF this game is defo not worth the CE price very disapointed and totally agree with what everyone else has said about this game, pretty dismall really..

Cobweb55
Minnow
Minnow
256 Posts

[Post New]by Cobweb55 on Dec 3, 12 5:50 PM
This game is an absolute NO BUY for me, not at a CE, SE, or gimmE.... The reason? I can't see the graphics!! Entirely TOO dark, and HOS scenes too dark and small... I can't see a thing.... This may be an okay game for you younger folks who eat your carrots, but for this old half blind buzzard, not so much...

A wonderful developer such as this one CANNOT rest on it's laurels and has to strive to make EVERY game more outstanding than it's predecessor... not equal to, but BETTER THAN... it's what we've come to expect and what we pay for. EVERY game should fill our wide screens, EVERY game should unlock the extras upon purchase, EVERY game should allow us to select sparkles or not, fast or slow hint, have a skip map and a user friendly SG..... all the stuff that we crab about every time a game is released. IS NO ONE LISTENING TO US????

I can play these games or not... It's only ONE way I choose to spend my time. I have several Suduko books that need my attention, an afghan that needs knitted and a quilt that is almost completed. I don't HAVE to play these games. I CHOOSE to, but not if the quality doesn't improve.. I hope the developers out there are listening...I'm sick of griping.. IF YOU DON'T LISTEN TO ME, I'M GOING TO STOP BUYING!!! I had a life before BG and will have one after... Life's too short to fret.... just sayin'...

sunnyglow
Clownfish
Clownfish
804 Posts

[Post New]by sunnyglow on Dec 3, 12 6:06 PM
Final word on the game. I finished the game and it is very short for a CE. In addition, if you look at the the section of technical errors, we had to wait a day to get a fix to a glitch in the game. I would not purchase this game again - ever! Way too short and problems with the game itself. I think this will be the last time I purchase a game from this dev.

Go to: