mary102696
Herring
Herring
318 Posts

Re:Reviews for Phantasmat: Crucible Peak Collector's Edition

[Post New]by mary102696 on Dec 6, 12 1:05 PM
This is the second Phantasmat game. You may be thinking of Sea Legends something about Phantasmal light game which was by Shaman games I believe not Codeminion.

desandnrs
Guppy
Guppy
102 Posts

[Post New]by desandnrs on Dec 6, 12 1:24 PM
vicalana wrote:
lackoo wrote:Original Phantasmat

This wannabe Phantasmat :

I don't recommend this game .

Ditto
I am an ERS fan, but I did not care for this game at all and I have the first Phantasmat game and liked it. I played about of the demo.

sunnyglow
Clownfish
Clownfish
804 Posts

[Post New]by sunnyglow on Dec 6, 12 1:37 PM
Great game from the gamERS. One of the best this year. Again, it seems we have a competition for the best game with the Pachyderm. They have stepped it up a notch. I am playing the hard mode and like the fact you can still skip a puzzle or get help if all else fails with the game. Beautiful graphics and great puzzles. Outstanding!

JulieJay
Catfish
Catfish
1,555 Posts

[Post New]by JulieJay on Dec 6, 12 1:53 PM
I loved the first Phantasmat but was kind of dreading this sequel after ERS ruined the Azada series (in my own opinion) but I was pleasantly surprised.

Hidden Object Puzzle Adventure

Gameplay was not as smooth as I like.

Graphics very clear.

Puzzles - really enjoyed the ones I came across.

HO scenes - pretty basic - find by word list - with just a hint of interactivity - you can opt to play Match 3 instead

Map - No.

Tasks - Yes.

Any hidden extras i.e. morphing - No.

Voiceovers - good.

Inventory - stays put.

My verdict - not really CE material and will probably wait for SE.

cherbtoo
Orca Whale
Orca Whale
22,629 Posts

[Post New]by cherbtoo on Dec 6, 12 3:55 PM
I found this quite an enjoyable game overall and it did fill my widescreen desktop monitor. The graphics were nice and clear in the hidden object scenes so you had no doubt what you were looking at and they were interactive too which is always a bonus. The voiceovers were also good.

For me the best part of the game was the puzzles and I have just completed the main game without skipping a single one so they are probably not hard enough for some players but I really liked them, particularly the cash register one .

For those who get motion sickness there was one hidden object scene set in a rowboat which was rocking gently on the water so if you are susceptible it might be wise to switch immediately to playing Match 3 for that one.

One thing I will say is that I think the devs must have got a big discount on a certain item when they went shopping in the hardware store for this game .

Cherb

megwoman25
Clownfish
Clownfish
742 Posts

[Post New]by megwoman25 on Dec 6, 12 4:31 PM
Im really on the fence with this game. I LOVED the first Phantasmat to the point where I feel a sequel is unnecessary. The last game tied everything up, no loose ends and was just a really good game. REALLY good games do not need sequels especially if the company doing the original has retired. The perfect example is Azada 3 which ERS took over and totally ruined. It had been years since that game was out and there was no reason to make another. Company disappeared, move on.

HOWEVER, this is a well made game. You can tell ERS actually put time and effort into making this game resemble the original phantasmat format with match 3's in hidden object scenes and the first scene of this game was magnificent. WOW was I impressed!! Especially since I have been feeling like ERS has been on the decline for months now. However, I am not sure I can trust ERS and buy this as a CE. I know how terrible ERS bonus games are and Im afraid to put full trust in ERS that after the gameplay in the first hour, that this game will still be up to par.

So putting this game aside, IF ERS made quality games like this all the time, I would buy a lot more of their games and I would be a fan of them like I used to be but I am so untrusting of them right now that I can't buy this as a CE because I don't trust that the whole game will be as good as the beginning. I wish I had more faith in ERS because for people new to this genre, this must look like the best game ever in graphics and gameplay but for me or people who have seen this company in the past 2 years might be a little wary. I think for right now I'll pass on the CE of this, wait for more reviews to come out about the whole game and then go from there...

BUT ERS lets keep this great style of gameplay and graphics now okay? You can't give us Filet Mignon one week and then chopped dog liver the next. Stick with the better games xx

VTCT
Clownfish
Clownfish
591 Posts

[Post New]by VTCT on Dec 6, 12 5:07 PM
Only thing I didn't like was ending. Is other coming because at the end it looked like you back to were you started.

ogrprincs
Clownfish
Clownfish
738 Posts

[Post New]by ogrprincs on Dec 6, 12 9:04 PM
Bought the game without consulting my review friends.I have the first one and enjoyed it,so it was a buy for me. No problems in the HOS. Extrea punch helps fill the card faster.

debraljensen
Squid
Squid
75 Posts

[Post New]by debraljensen on Dec 6, 12 9:53 PM
Excellent game. Buy and have fun

slimjims36
Clownfish
Clownfish
526 Posts

[Post New]by slimjims36 on Dec 7, 12 3:15 AM
Interesting. The thread railing about whether ERS could even begin to make a game that was good enough to lick Phantasmat's boots was so, let's say, lively, and long, that I'm really shocked that there aren't a 100 reviews for the sequel by now. I'm a bit late coming to the party, but I didn't know the party was ending so soon. Like I said, interesting.

But that said, okay, it wasn't practically perfect in every way. But it came close, far closer that just about anyone thought it would. I think ERS did a very nice job in respecting the game play, features, and popularity of the original. Unexpected? Yes. But since I wasn't one on the ERS-bashing bandwagon, I can only commend them for doing a fantastic job.

I do think though that burnt-out fishies are not far off when they say that ERS outdid themselves on this one and why can't they do their other games this way. Let's see if they do? They haven't had quite enough time yet. And let's hope they looked at this game, what they did, and whether the scouring they will most definitely be doing of reviews, threads, sites, recommendations, etc., will elicit some information as to how they should go forward with their future endeavors.

[Post New]by daisyduck352 on Dec 7, 12 8:30 AM
I enjoy ERS games so didn't even bother trying it, but purchased it and have only played a little bit of it and I really like it. The graphics are great as they always are and hints reload fast. Since I haven't really played that much will get back later on what I think but right now give it 4 out of 5 stars.

rockey69
Guppy
Guppy
179 Posts

[Post New]by rockey69 on Dec 7, 12 5:04 PM
Tried the demo and before I knew it the hour was up. I liked the first one and this one is good too. I hope it is long, I hate buying games that dont take awhile to play.

[Post New]by SIRSLIMMYEEL on Dec 7, 12 8:10 PM
lackoo wrote:Original Phantasmat

This wannabe Phantasmat :

I don't recommend this game .

I agree, I could only stand about 10 minutes. Not my cup of "snow"

WilJul
Stingray
Stingray
5,670 Posts

[Post New]by WilJul on Dec 7, 12 9:41 PM
I enjoyed this game. It's not as engaging as the original, but entertaining nonetheless. A little slow moving and the puzzles were fairly simple, although some didn't have clear instructions. But a good way to spend a Friday night without feeling like I was ripped off!

Cromaxgal
Clownfish
Clownfish
730 Posts

[Post New]by Cromaxgal on Dec 7, 12 9:53 PM
I only played 15 minutes of it, BUT kind of tired of the HOG and snow and eery sounds. And I don't think I'll buy it as these you only play once whereas time management and games like that I play over and over, more bang for the buck.

[Post New]by whirled_peas on Dec 7, 12 11:14 PM
This was a okay game. I did get goosebumps several times from the creepy people and happenings - that was a bit of a thrill. Puzzles were different - not hard at all. HOS were clear. Although you could replay the puzzles in the bonus section (and HOS - which I'm definitely not interested in again a 2nd time) they weren't interesting enough the first time to play again. I prefer puzzles that are a little more challenging. I got a few hours out of the game but the bonus chapter was not that long. So overall - only okay.

vingilot
Dolphin
Dolphin
6,175 Posts

[Post New]by vingilot on Dec 8, 12 6:29 AM
That was extremely disappointing. Typical ERS everything. The amazing artwork and engaging characters of the original Phantasmat are long gone, as is the music. Just as they did with Azada, they took a great concept and ruined it.

Good things:

It did open in widescreen for me and you can lock/unlock the inventory bar. I like that the inventory bar doesn't go away completely but becomes faded and see through.

They did leave the M3/HOS concept and they have the SG in the same place as the previous game. SG holds your place.

Graphics, while typical ERS, are very well done - just not as good as Codeminion.

Bad things:

"Hard" mode still has sparkles for HOSs and still have too much black bar info. If you're going to make something hard, then make it hard, especially since they allow switching game modes during play.

The puzzles are embarrassingly simple.

The story in the demo so far makes no sense.

Too many HOSs in the demo and I'm not a fan of M3.

I didn't expect any, but no achievements.

I did manage to stick it out through most of the demo, but after 50 minutes I just couldn't take it anymore. I deleted with 10 minutes left to go. By that time, I was already into the third chapter, so it looks to be a short game as well.

Really, I have to wonder why they bothered stamping this game with the Phantasmat name at all, except to hopefully trick some gamers into thinking it's the same company making both games. :thumbsdown:

Valdy
Marlin
Marlin
9,383 Posts

[Post New]by Valdy on Dec 8, 12 7:08 AM
I have now finished the game, and wow... what a very satisfying game this was.

I very much enjoyed playing this game. It's one of those rare games I don't mind playing again in the future.

Graphics were wonderfully done, in the main scenes as well as in the HOS. The story was great, and I had lots of fun with the different characters. And for those wondering... the main game has a proper ending.

SPOILER ALERT FOR THE BONUS GAME Hover over with cursor to read:

In the bonus game, Otto changes his mind and decides he doesn't want you to leave after all.

END OF SPOILER ALERT

--- --- ---

SPOILER ALERT ABOUT THE ENDING OF THE BONUS GAME Don't read if you don't want to know how the story continues !! Hover over with cursor to read:

You will get the chance to defuse the bomb that Otto had planted. However, in the end, the bomb goes off after all. But you can rest assured that you have at least forewarned the community and everyone escapes before the avalange burries the town.

END OF SPOILER ALERT

--- --- ---

Just wanted to add that I didn't encounter any glitches at all, not in the main game, and not in the bonus game.

Edited on 12/08/2012 at 7:12:43 AM PST

spenny1
Catfish
Catfish
1,637 Posts

[Post New]by spenny1 on Dec 8, 12 8:24 AM
Have submitted this to game page, but not sure about rules on mentioning the devs there, so have posted here too just in case.

I don't usually post reviews on just a demo, but I only got to 40 minutes and I was pretty bored, but I still want to say a few things.
I used to love ERS, but it would seem that as I have progressed as a game player, ERS are standing still. The artwork is the same old stuff, and not even their best in my opinion. The puzzles are very easy and offer no challenge, and the H0 scenes could be from any of their games. Other developers seem to continue to improve the more games they make, and it's such a shame that these don't appear to be doing the same.
If you love ERS, you'll probably enjoy this, or if you're still only discovering these games. I was hoping to see something even a little new, but there was just no spark to this for me. The only good thing for me was a fresh opening storyline, but even this didn't hold my attention for long. Sorry ERS, must try harder.

stasibug
Lobster
Lobster
81 Posts

[Post New]by stasibug on Dec 8, 12 4:17 PM
This was a real disappointment after having enjoyed the first Phantasmat so much. The original was chock full of things I really love about these games. There was so much else to do. The achievements are gone. There is no timed HOS nor M3. To me it was just another game. I have decided to quit buying ERS collector's editions unless they are on sale. They just do not offer anything extra or special. Sorry... JMHO.

Go to: