Re:Reviews for Detective Quest: The Crystal Slipper Collector's Edition

[Post New]by quarlesqueen on Dec 13, 12 5:12 AM
WOW...what can I say, I am LOVING this positively STUNNING, and WHIMSICAL, masterpeice from Elephant games !!

This one is so up my alley, It has EVERYTHING that I just LOVE , as if it were made just for me, mystical creatures ( my fav ) in a fairy tale story, that takes me back to my childhood ...LOVE LOVE LOVE this one .
This is more than a feast for the eye's, it is a buffet of visuals, that left me breathless, it is so beautiful, the artwork and graphics are AMAZING .
Elephant is on top of their game, now these are some VERY talented developers, #1, IMHO ..with another 5 star game, the "Nutcracker" and now this beauty, you all have made this gaming addict, one HAPPY camper !!

From the moment I saw this, even before doing the demo, I was so excited because, it is exactly, the perfect game, that I look for, one that really makes me happy, and that I LOVE playing, I own over 400 games, and there are only a handful, that I just absolutely ADORE, this is one of them !!
From the whimsical atmosphere, to the imaginative and creative, mystical creatures, like the harpies, I was totally facinated, and totally absorbed in this game, from the beginning, and my excitement just grew, the more I played, instead of dropping, like in most games ..that is not an easy thing to do, HUGE props to Elephant !
I love taking pictures of my mystical friends and foe , the puzzles are AWESOME, love those also, which is unusual for me, there isn't anything in this gem that I don't like, THANKS for making my day Elephant games ..keep making these BRILLIANT and visually STUNNING, absolutely, FUN and EXCITING games to play, and I will keep buying them .

And Cbtx, THANKS for the laugh , rabbit under the elephants foot..OMG that is Soooo funny, and I totally agree !!

[Post New]by littlegamefisher on Dec 13, 12 5:12 AM
I, too, betaed this a long time ago, when it was titled "Cinderella." For me, it ran with no glitches but it's to this developer's credit that they don't rush their games to market. It's no accident that all their games (at least the ones that I've played) are polished and of the highest standards.

After playing the beta version, I immediately put it in my "buy" column. It is on the easy side but I like that sometimes. And as other fishies note here, the graphics are gorgeous, the VO's are professional (though, again, with faux British accents), and interactive maps are always welcome.

Try before you buy as always but if you buy sight unseen, I don't think you'll be disappointed. Thanks, pachyderm!

tj1147
Clownfish
Clownfish
654 Posts

[Post New]by tj1147 on Dec 13, 12 5:48 AM
Review after playing demo: What a beautiful game from this developer...again!

Game play is perfect with no lagging between scenes, jerky cursor, or pixel-pickiness. I had speakers on briefly and sound effects and voices are well done. Graphics are simply gorgeous! I love this type of H0 scenes where you put items back where they belong and sometimes they are not at all obvious! The puzzles - so far - have been "doable" for me - except the numbers one! I just don't have the type of logical mind to do those. The map is very nice to have as is the hint system if needed. (I tried it outside a H0 scene to see how it works.) The camera is a really nice touch. Sometimes I wound up with something in inventory but don't know how it got there!

I just love the whimsical, fairytale-like stories! (And I also like the more "dark" storylines but this type game is much appreciated! This game had a couple of scenes where something unexpected happened and cause me to jump - not scary though.

I'm going to look at my punch card status but will most probably buy this game now as a CE - I don't think I can wait for the SE!

jan1949
Starfish
Starfish
54 Posts

[Post New]by jan1949 on Dec 13, 12 5:53 AM

Edited on 12/14/2012 at 1:24:12 AM PST

Poutoule
Archerfish
Archerfish
41,630 Posts

[Post New]by Poutoule on Dec 13, 12 6:03 AM
Played 30 minutes casual

- Elephant Games

- 3 modes, casual, advanced, hardcore

- Integrated SG which shows 7 chapters + bonus play

- Bonus chapters and extras available in the demo

- Voice overs

- Very nice music

- Map, you can jump from one place to another, shows areas of interest

- Hint, outside H0, it tells you what you should do, very useful. Refills quickly in casual

- H0, you have to put objects back where they belong

- Good mini games

- Gorgeous graphics

Modern detective landing in a fairy tale !! Elephant Games are better and better, a real pleasure this game, unfortunately this is a buy for me....

[Post New]by LuvDemGames on Dec 13, 12 7:11 AM
Wow, I am definitely in the minority here. I couldn't get through more than 13 minutes of the demo. Seems like something for kids. Cartoony looking, stiff, unimaginative, I could go on, but you get the idea. No buy at $2.99.

Edited on 12/13/2012 at 7:12:10 AM PST

timbermoon
Seahorse
Seahorse
37 Posts

[Post New]by timbermoon on Dec 13, 12 7:31 AM

I feel ambivalent about this game. I found several things about it enjoyable, but thought it a little jarring. The bizarre combination of live actors and animation disturbed me, as did several anachronistic details. For example, the detective appears to live in 20th-century France, but he can take a train to a seemingly medieval country with both unicorns and photographic technology. Strange. The hint system being a telephone seemed out of place to me, as well.

The prince says that he would give up all his riches for just one night with the woman he loves, whom he met yesterday. In the fairy tales I remember, the prince wouldn't have expected to sleep with a woman he met yesterday. I find that to be a rather sad commentary, adding a cynical note to an otherwise fairy-tale-like setting.

I loved the opening art, and enjoyed the graphics and the style of the hidden object scenes, but was disappointed with the game in many ways.

Edited on 12/13/2012 at 7:35:41 AM PST

xxybcc
Guppy
Guppy
152 Posts

[Post New]by xxybcc on Dec 13, 12 8:02 AM
FANTASTIC! What a great game. This is one of the best in a long time. The story, graphics, all of it is great. Elephant games is truly one of the best developers. Thanks so much.

letsdoit
Shark
Shark
10,483 Posts

[Post New]by letsdoit on Dec 13, 12 8:58 AM
Played the demo to the end and was anxious to get to the 'buy now' going on in my little brain cell...So for 'giggles' I always check out the reviews on the front game page...and....this morning only had 2 which were kind of 'negative'....WHAT!!!
As the usual routine decided to check out the actual 'game forum'...and...the posts reflect my feelings...Elephant created another great game!
Yes I believe the mind and soul need a little 'fairy dust' after a lot of games with all the hooks,crooks,monsters and just bad enemies (believe me I also buy those that are done welll with no complaints)...but there is a 'child' in every one of us and this developer knows how to 'bring it'...Thanks Dev's and to BFG for bringing this game to us...well, off to 'buy' my gift for 'me self'...signed with Lets.

p.s. it was mentioned on a thread in chat forum the we would be seeing more 'furbabies' (i.e. beloved animals) in the up coming games....needless to say that is how its happening and its IMO considered a 'feel good' thing!

Valdy
Marlin
Marlin
9,383 Posts

[Post New]by Valdy on Dec 13, 12 9:34 AM
gingergal wrote:On demo only (as this is the only place for feedback)

First it was big fish games that disappointed me with MCF and now it's my favourite developers elephant games I actually went out and double checked that it was elephant on the title screen. I nearly bought this without even trying it first but so glad I did. Elephant what happened? Where are any extras in the CE? (and sorry concept art, music, and wallpaper doesn't cut it with me).

Where are the achievements or collectables that make you one of the best if not the best re CEs? After nutcracker, which I think should be officially game of the year, comes this. Yes it has a photo album (which I think you take pictures of ? during game) but while I applaud it's a bit different it still needs the others.

Hi Gingergal...

I have to confess that when I first started the game, I too wasn't highly impressed by the graphics. But the further I got into the game, the better they seem to get.

And the collectables in this game are the 30 photos you can shoot of mystical creatures that come your way.

I have now played for a couple of hours or more, and am very impressed with the game. The creatures alone are stunning. I keep walking around the corner, and go "oooh..." or "aaah", because there is always something new appearing.

I do tend to use the map a lot for jumping, but with this game I best not do it too often, because I can easily miss another creature that has suddenly appeared at a crossroad or some other place, and which I would never see if I just jump from one place to the next. So I try to walk a lot.

Also, for those peeps who thought they have escaped the "Nutcracker" winter scenes... LOL Wait until you have played for a while. The map shows you 3 huge areas. Use the arrow at the right (and left, once you have gone right), and you will see that there are 3 different maps.

And I do love this type of HOS. Such a difference from the usual ones. Really nicely done.

A huge game, and a really fun game at that. Lots to do, lots to collect, lots of creatures to encounter. A really well done game.

Off to play some more.

ETA: The one thing I am not too happy about is the ringing of the telephone each time I use it. It's rather shrill and loud. LOL

Edited on 12/13/2012 at 10:02:08 AM PST

Eoarod
Flounder
Flounder
2,391 Posts

[Post New]by Eoarod on Dec 13, 12 9:51 AM
"Unicorns and puppies, am I in heaven?"

Yep - that about sums it up for me! Gorgeous game full of fantasy goodness (and badness!), humor, a variety of H0 scenes and more animals than you can shake a pike at!

Running like a top (or dradel to be seasonal!) so far - keeping fingers crossed this holds as we still don't have a fix for Nutcracker issues hoping we get one, now that this lovely surprise of another Elephant CE is out!!

Like others I love a good redux of a classic Fairy Tale and this is shaping up to be a nice twist indeed! DO wonder if any of our poor detectives will ever find romance - we're always helping others to their happy endings!

Nice attention to detail - lots of things to look at via our magnifying glass - it's always fun to get "color commentary" along with just being able to look at things necessary to gameplay! Haven't managed to take any pics so far - but am looking forward to creating my photo gallery!

Puzzles easy so far - but that tends to be the way in the demo!

All in all a buy for me - no doubt puppies, unicorns and glass slippers will be a bit too much sugary goodness for some even at this time of year - but if you like a good mix of beauty and beasties; give this one a go and;

Happy Gaming!

mrssharon
Guppy
Guppy
192 Posts

Some Interesting Surprises

[Post New]by mrssharon on Dec 13, 12 12:02 PM
I also beta tested this not long ago. At the time, I felt it was a little too easy, but at that time I had tried it in casual mode. I just finished the demo in advanced mode and that makes a difference but not in how easy the puzzles are. I do like the reverse HOS, at least I don't have to squint to read the list!

I originally thought the game would be kind of cheesy being a Cinderella story, but when she got in the fairy godmother's carriage, well, I was surprised by what happened.

I like the graphics. The lovely colors are a nice change. But graphics alone don't make or break the purchase for me. The story line has to draw me in. I have to admit I want to see how it plays out.

I think there is the potential for this to be a good game, but I also am not impressed with the bonus content. I do like when there is extended game play, but there is no way of knowing how long or how relevant it is to the story, so that makes me reluctant to buy the CE and so will probably wait for the SE.

JanG7
Guppy
Guppy
110 Posts

[Post New]by JanG7 on Dec 13, 12 12:14 PM
Not much work getting done around the house today!

I agree with all the other positive reviews. WOW

I just finished the game (except for the bonus chapter), and this game has moved up
to #2 on my list of favorite games. "Nutcracker" became #1 a few weeks ago and still remains there, but it was close. #3 is the first "Phantasmat" (which held the honor of being #1 since it came out).

I may ad more after the bonus game, but for now, it is well worth the CE price and the extra punch club credit today.

Off to play the Bonus Chapter. Great job Elephant and BFG for this gem.

Just wanted to ad, I finished the Bonus Chapter and it is great as well.

Edited on 12/13/2012 at 3:12:40 PM PST

CoolGrammy1
Minnow
Minnow
257 Posts

[Post New]by CoolGrammy1 on Dec 13, 12 12:32 PM
Absolutely beautiful graphics in this game. Elephant Games once again hits a homer! This is on my Must Have list!

dancemom1
Angelfish
Angelfish
1,198 Posts

[Post New]by dancemom1 on Dec 13, 12 1:32 PM
As usual, Elephant has made a very nice game. Excellent, clear graphics and very nice game play. Music nice as well. HOGs different, but need a little variety and not straight "where does this go." Nice hint system (except that I did not care for the ringing telephone every time you used it) and SG.

Took an unusually long time for the demo to download and I never have that problem...it wasn't even that many MB. Didn't quite seem up to par for an Elephant game. Something was missing, but I can't quite figure out what it is.

Story line wasn't anything new or exciting and we seemed to warp between one time period and another. Didn't make me want to run right out and get it to see what happens. No real imagination. Liked finding the various animals. I'm sure I will end up buying this one, simply because it is an Elephant game.

When I first joined BF, there were a lot of SG and a few CE games, but now it seems to be all CE. Why get CE credits, when there is nothing to use them on?? The SE games have been extremely short and so not worth the price. We need more "good" SE games.

Anyway, as always, try this game for yourself and see what you think. We all have different tastes in games and you may not care for this one at all. Thanks for the reviews.

sunnyglow
Clownfish
Clownfish
804 Posts

[Post New]by sunnyglow on Dec 13, 12 2:12 PM
Wow! Another great game from the world of Pachyderm! Love this game! It seems to me that this dev is becoming the major player in this type of gaming. Two absolutely wonderful games in a row. The graphics are wonderful. The sound is equally great. There is a map which makes it user friendly. The puzzles are great. I have absolutely nothing bad to say about this game. I purchased immediately. Wish the other devs would notice what these devs are doing and some of them really need to up their game. It is refreshing to not have to look at dilapidated buildings, ugly setttings, depressing storylines. Thank you mucho. Another great holiday surprise!!!!

JulieJay
Catfish
Catfish
1,555 Posts

[Post New]by JulieJay on Dec 13, 12 3:40 PM
Graphics: Bright and colourful

Gameplay: very smooth

Puzzles: Okay, nothing really special

HO scenes: association, putting items back where they belong (I do miss the normal find by word list though - I prefer it when a dev mixes it up rather than giving us all of the same)

Tasks: No - not that I noticed

Map: Shows active areas and transportable

Inventory: doesn't lock - it bugs me a little when they do this as you have to keep clicking on it to see if you have what you need - I'd rather just be able to see it straight away

Voiceovers: Yes - very good

Hidden extras: take 30 photographs - it took me a while to realise that when my cursor turned into a camera that wasn't actually the camera and I couldn't take photo's without getting the camera from the inventory (doh!) (I still prefer morphing objects).

Hint system: it's the detective's secretary on the other end of the telephone - very novel

Verdict: the game didn't really blow me away enough to buy straight away just for an extra punch - I'll have to think about it some more

shripch
Dogfish
Dogfish
1,952 Posts

[Post New]by shripch on Dec 14, 12 12:15 AM
This will be the first time I have written two reviews for a game, but this game is just so wonderful I feel it needs the extra kudos.
I started that crazy fun game Weird Park Scary Tales and have been totally enjoying it and purchased this game after trying the demo for just a short time.
Now I can't stop! I mean, I want to get back to Scary Tales and find out how we're going to free those kids, but I can't!
This game is so captivating it has me in it's sweet grasp and won't let go! I need to go to sleep because I have to get up early tomorrow so I know I need to shut the old computer down, but with this game it's hard to do.
I realize the puzzles are easy, but they're fun! If you haven't taken the time to download the demo, please do. And then you'll know what we're all talking about.

[Post New]by WolfenRaindancer on Dec 14, 12 12:37 AM
The dogs made this an instant buy for me too...was a bit disappointed though that they disappeared so quickly. The ermine was cute, but I prefer the dogs!

mystine
Guppy
Guppy
104 Posts

[Post New]by mystine on Dec 14, 12 1:12 AM
WOW!!! and I do mean WOW!!! Our beloved elephant has outdone himself this time with the fantastic game....not much I can say that hasnt already been said but this is one of the best games I've played...period. The one thing I love about Elephant is that they listen!! To me as far as a successful game developer goes thats half the battle. This is an absoulutely gorgeous game that quickly pulls you in, and you are lost in the splendor. Hos are clever and well done....and be sure and click around....there are many surprises where you least expect it. This analogy Im going to use may seem a bit odd or over the top....but for those of us old enough to remember Michael Jacksons history making performance on Motown 25 where he sang Billie Jean and untroduced the world to the moonwalk.....that 3 minute performance launched him into orbit.....Elephant of course not quite as big a scale, but I think the love and thought you put into this game has taken you all to the next level.....the sky is the limit for such talent!! Thank you EG and BF!! Happy Gaming all <3 Elephant if you would do one thing that would make your games perfection.....could you please give us the choice of locking the inventory bar? Thank you! Merry Christmas to all !!!

Edited on 01/15/2013 at 3:50:39 AM PST

Go to: