Re:Reviews for The Curse of the Werewolves

[Post New]by Butterflyshrimp on Dec 20, 12 5:48 PM
Frog_Muncher wrote:I really liked this game and bought after the hour demo. It is a great little game, some tricky moments and lack of the hint system I am used to but the map showing where there were actions and HO scenes was very useful (similar to the ones Blue Tea Games use on their maps, at least in hard mode).

BUT what a SHORT game! I bought it and played for an extra half an hour or so, then stopped, then took my laptop to bed to finish it off and only got another 40 mins. So I estimate this game is only - for experienced players - just over 2 hrs long (maybe 2 hrs 15 max). That's without using any WT or hints on the forum. I did use a credit on this game rather than a PCC so do feel that £5.39 is a little high for something that was over so soon. Having said that, I did enjoy it and perhaps a less experienced player would get a longer play (but not on hard level without a WT as this could get frustrating, I almost threw the laptop out of the window at one point!).

Butterflyshrimp, I would say it's an equal mix of adventure, HO and puzzles IMO if that helps?

Thanks very much Frog_Muncher. It helps very much! I was demoing it but was so tired I fell asleep. When I woke up, the demo time had exired. (Had gotten to the first victim, knew about the small items in the HO's, the dark graphics, etc). As long as there are no glitches in the game, its a buy for me. Many thanks!

[Post New]by rhodalumpkin on Dec 22, 12 6:19 PM
I usually agree with you V, but not on this one. Too much guessing what to do next and the hidden areas that you must go to in order to proceed..... I would like to know they are there as opposed to wondering around and around trying to figure out what I missed. If not for the walkthru, I would not have know there was another room in the cellar. Could have be a good game if not for the almost invisible areas.

Valdy
Marlin
Marlin
9,383 Posts

[Post New]by Valdy on Dec 25, 12 5:12 AM
I got this game in the BOGOF sale, and played it yesterday.

I loved this game a lot. For those hardcore HOG fans who always moan that there are too many sparklies and too much hand-holding: this game did barely give me any sparkles even in Casual mode. I only got a whirl of sparkles when a HOS came up, and then, after I had already discovered an area of interest, then a tiny amount of sparkles appeared, to remind me not to forget about that area.

Also, there is no HINT button for the main scenes. You are pretty much left to find out for yourself where to go next and what to do. Thank goodness, the map, although I couldn't use it to jump, gave me enough of information to be able to get on in the game.

I very much liked the graphics, and they were very well done in the HOS as well. I had no trouble finding objects, although in the main scenes, some objects were a tad too tiny. But that's where the little sparlies came in - to nudge me in the right direction and make sure I pick something up that I might have otherwise overlooked.

Really loved this game. It was one of the better ones, I thought.

[Post New]by feenix2011 on Dec 27, 12 9:39 AM
Well, with the exception of the very dark HOS with the very small HO (!!), as quite a few reviewers have mentioned, I really enjoyed this game. I got totally stuck two times, with no idea what to do,and as Valdy has mentioned, there is no hint button in regular game play. The map does help to a certain extent, but I noticed a few times when I wasn't sure what to do, the map did not indicate anything, no HOS, no mini-games, no nothin! Thanks to a "hint" from a fellow fishie, I found a walkthrough which I did refer to once, and from then on, I was pretty much on the right path.(right path, get it??!!) I don't understand why the house looked like it hadn't been lived in for years? If what happened, happened recently, why the dust and cobwebs and such?! But overall, I did enjoy playing the game and as a few have mentioned, it was nice having to use the grey matter a little more than usual. Enjoy!!

feenix

tj1147
Clownfish
Clownfish
654 Posts

[Post New]by tj1147 on Dec 31, 12 7:45 PM
I would give the game maybe a B-. It is really OK except the darkish graphics and the map - which wasn't really that useful. Sometimes the map showed nothing else I could do so I had to backtrack to see if I could find where I got lost. The diary is not very much help. The hint works only in the H0 scenes, and I found that after returning to them if I just clicked on what looked "different" I managed to find most of the items without even looking at the list - in which the font was really small.

There was a good bit of information at the end of the game which helped explain certain parts - but not all...still a few questions unanswered.

Overall, I believe it was OK for a coupon...but really a so-so game.

bessiegirl
Clownfish
Clownfish
738 Posts

[Post New]by bessiegirl on Jan 5, 13 8:16 AM
Since this game is on sale I will purchase today, however I am totally stuck and haven't a clue what to do next.....tried everything...it definately needs a walkthrough which I almost never use, but need it this time.

Important additional comment: Found a walkthrough by searching for Curse of the Werewolves walkthrough via Bing or Google...whatever you use. Got me going again! One thing I found out was you need to place the inventory items EXACTLY on the right spot!

Found I only needed the walkthrough for one point and then never had to use it again once I figured out how the story moves along...you need to use some imagination when it comes to the inventory items.

Interesting game with what appears to be an unusual take on werewolves. Found it refreshing that there was no car accident at the beginning!

HOS items are EXTREAMLY small and dark/murky, but actually quite easy to find once you get used to looking for something so small. The interactive items are not highlighted in the list so you need to watch your curser carefully....actually you need to watch your curser (which is small) carefully through the entire game....easy to miss things. All scenes are very dark.

You do revisit the same HOS often, but items seem to be added or changed...odd. Hint is only available in the HOS...so you are on your own the rest of the game. A map is provided which is quite useful, but it is not a jump map. But as far as I have managed to get, there don't appear to be all that many scenes.

Music and voice overs are OK, haven't felt the need to turn them off, which I usually do. Journal is totally useless and at this point there are a lot of inventory items which I haven't a clue what to do with and that gets confusing and frustrating. Mini games seem to be old school, but the skip refreshes quickly.

Finished the game and loved it! Be sure to watch the cutscene at the end as it explains the whole story. Despite all the issues I give this game a 4 out of 5 for sheer fun and a great story!

Edited on 01/05/2013 at 1:47:02 PM PST

jkuci
Flounder
Flounder
2,447 Posts

[Post New]by jkuci on Jan 11, 13 6:56 AM

I played the whole game without pause because it really kept my interest throughout - which is phenomenal since I have about 200 unfinished/unplayed games I've bought on BFG.

Even though I have a very large monitor the items in the dark HOS were hard to see - quite often. By the end of the game I would have happily scorched the dev team that signed off on the eye-mutilating artwork.

I got stumped more than a few times and had to resort to the walk-thru available elsewhere on the web.

Even with the eye-blasting artwork and getting dumb-stumped, I really enjoyed myself with this game.

Thanks dev and BFG.!

lovely62
Clownfish
Clownfish
731 Posts

[Post New]by lovely62 on Feb 17, 13 10:49 AM
I really am enjoying the game, i realize it is dark and items are so small but it seems like it is a good game..I liked the graphics and sounds..Maybe the dev's will do better next time on there HOS..thx bf for another great game Kuddo's to BF games..

eskimo1203
Starfish
Starfish
43 Posts

[Post New]by eskimo1203 on Mar 2, 13 5:41 AM
I found the game to be very glitchy. Slow to load and move around.
The graphics are very dark and the HOS have very small items to find; some needed to be clicked on repeatedly...in others you need to find a very specific item even though there are multiples of the same type of item (i.e. book).

My biggest complaint are the”clues”. For instance, in the bedroom where there is a puddle of water. When I put my curser on the puddle, it said I needed to find something to change the color of the water. After trying multiple items in my inventory that would change the color of the water, I put the rag on it and that was what did the trick. Please explain how a rag would change the color of the water???!!!

Additionally, once an area has been cleared, I do not want my curser to continually show there is something to do there.

Very frustrating game!

sunshinej
Pufferfish
Pufferfish
1,313 Posts

[Post New]by sunshinej on Oct 25, 13 7:52 AM
This was a very nice game. A head scratcher at times, but if you get stuck, you could use the map which shows you where what still needs done. This game is light on the puzzles. Only a few and nothing we haven't seen before. HO scenes are visited more than once and I didn't think they were that dark. At least I had no trouble finding anything. Hint button only works in the HO scenes.

So If you are looking for a game with a good story and that is not super easy, I recommend this game.

sunshinej

FORTUNATUS
Clownfish
Clownfish
883 Posts

[Post New]by FORTUNATUS on Apr 1, 14 6:38 PM
Here I am a late comer to playing this game... I absolutely LOVED it.

The Curse of the Werewolves is rich in environmental impact as well as subtleties and extremely atmospheric... it should be 'SOUND 101' for developers [hint hint].

The Demo may not be enough to truly give a good 'feel' for the game... in my experience playing, this game gets better and better and has an enormous creep factor that literally made me jump at least once because I was SO absorbed in the game, [I was startled when my timer went off, lol]. The graphics are phenomenal [albeit with a few adjustments with monitor settings] there is great contrast of past/present and future and at least in a few scenes, to my eye, the artwork was reminiscent of Edward Gory's uniquely quaint/bazaar style.

Overall I would say The Curse of the Werewolves plays very much like an adventure game [in terms of having to figure things out on your own.. which I enjoy as well as having to rely heavily on intuition and not always reason, lol]. There IS at least one walkthrough on line as mentioned in a couple threads should you not be as adventurous. There are plenty [IMHO] of HO scenes for H0G lovers, too!

My only potential qualm would be that it seemed a bit abrupt in it's ending and I do understand there is a bonus chapter available 'out there' [yet not necesarrily one that wraps things up entirely.

I would be overjoyed should there ever be a sequel to this game.... yet won't hold my breath since it's been a number of years since it's first release [oh well] : **(

Suffice it to say it was SO good I may even play it again [this time at the faster, more experienced pace] and soak in every last chill this game has to offer.

Edited on 04/01/2014 at 6:39:15 PM PST

addieh
Minnow
Minnow
214 Posts

[Post New]by addieh on Apr 24, 14 7:04 PM
This game is alright. Didn't excite me to play like some games do. Everything was so dark and murky but I suppose that adds to the ambiance of the game. I didn't mind the HO scenes...you just have to look a little harder. The ending however disappointed me but as I said it was an alright game.

ronhall62
Jellyfish
Jellyfish
11 Posts

[Post New]by ronhall62 on Jun 28, 14 10:31 AM
whats up with this game cant get any ferther then the tree in the path cant find the ax or any item that will help play this game don't buy this game no walkthroughs or hint help

sandicats5
Clownfish
Clownfish
573 Posts

[Post New]by sandicats5 on Jul 18, 14 9:16 AM
glad I used a coupon to buy this game as the ho were too dark, I couldn't have played without the walkthrough I found.

Go to: