shadowfax44
Orca Whale
Orca Whale
21,885 Posts

Re:Reviews for Reality Show: Fatal Shot Collector's Edition

[Post New]by shadowfax44 on Dec 20, 12 6:35 AM
tropdechats wrote: The graphics are wonderful, as you have come to expect from this developer. But the game itself is too easy. Game play is linear -- you need it, you find it, you use it. I found nothing about the game play that was either challenging or interesting. Sadly, because I truly enjoy this developer, I would only consider purchasing the game if it was a DD.
Ahhh. A wordsmith you are Tropdechats... this is what I was trying to say earlier, exactly. Thank you.

Lyvia
Minnow
Minnow
299 Posts

[Post New]by Lyvia on Dec 20, 12 7:49 AM
Even playing on the hardest mode, this was too easy. I didn't skip anything, took my time to appreciate the atmosphere and graphics, and finished the demo with 24 minutes to spare.

I liked the story and graphics, and I always love the humor. The puzzles were different, but I could solve them without much thought. Maybe as a DD, because I did chuckle a few times.

Eoarod
Flounder
Flounder
2,391 Posts

[Post New]by Eoarod on Dec 20, 12 9:26 AM
Ohhhhh my! Scary clowns! I'll have to gird my loins to get through this one Still, so far it's worth it! This one really has you jumping right into the fray - as has been said there is a real sense of urgency to this game (the music adds to that)!

For me it's running perfectly (keeping fingers crossed) perfectly smooth cursor action and quick scene changes!

Great atmosphere, including music, VOs and hectic visuals that really put you in big city (great how ERS can even make urban graphics lovely!)

Yes - it does start with "need it, find it..." but that seems to be true of the demo portion of many games (by ERS and other devs) Generally this changes as you progress into a game after purchase. I think they want to keep the demo moving quickly, but this can make one wonder "Will the whole game be like this?" It must be a fine line for devs to walk; demo vs. entire game.

I'm sure folks will come back when they've finished and let us know how game play progresses.

It will be a buy for me, I've been drawn in to the mystery (that and I'm determined to put that scary clown in his place!)

Give this one a try - our fluffy ERS bunny has definitely morphed to a Wild Hare for this one & it looks like it's going to be a wild ride!

Happy Gaming!

shadowfax44
Orca Whale
Orca Whale
21,885 Posts

[Post New]by shadowfax44 on Dec 20, 12 9:34 AM
I hope you enjoy the ride Eoarod... I didn't. It's my least fave ERS game ever... I could have played this one in my sleep.. in fact I wish I had. LOL

laraly
Parrotfish
Parrotfish
428 Posts

[Post New]by laraly on Dec 20, 12 10:00 AM
Awsome game, the demo went so fluid, no flaws, 40 mins, at my clock, the puzzles/minigames were cleaver and easy to solve, so far I din't need to look up the S. G., interesting plot, weird circustances and personas, it makes you really fond to want to play until the end, so it's definetly a buy for me! 5+ so far, could be more, I'll let you know! Happy gaming to all detective's fishes on the forum!

dancemom1
Angelfish
Angelfish
1,198 Posts

[Post New]by dancemom1 on Dec 20, 12 11:54 AM
Well, I actually don't really care for straight adventure games, but I tried this one anyway, since it is an ERS game. Graphics and game play were exceptional, as usual. Fast hint recovery. Didn't care for the background color or the print in the SG (was hard to read). Music nice, games simple. Very nice voice overs (always a plus for me).

As I said, I prefer a mixture of action, adventure, HOGs in my games, but this was a very nice game. It has a nice, different story line for a change, so I think adventurers will find it quite enjoyable. Unfortunately, it is not for me, so I won't be adding it to my large collection of ERS games today. However, being female, I could change my mind. :-)

As always, try it for yourself and see what you think. We all have different tastes in games and you may thoroughly enjoy this one. I may not care for this type of game, but I do recommend it for all of the pluses. Thanks for the reviews.

shripch
Dogfish
Dogfish
1,952 Posts

[Post New]by shripch on Dec 20, 12 12:03 PM
I just want to add to what it is that bothers me about this game. In the opening scene I became exited because this looked like it was going to be a ground breaking game that would somehow merge a police drama, murder mystery, and the nations fixation on reality shows. But there really wasn't any thing new here, and the detective seems to be an ineffective police officer with little power.

To do a reality TV show based game I think they could have taken their clues from
that genre and used inventive camera angle shots, fast paced chases, and a fast thinking detective. Something that feels and plays like the real thing!

I remember that moment in games like Dire Grove and the Nutcracker when I caught my breath and realized I was seeing something new and spectacularly inventive. I am on a fixed income now, and my money has to stretch, so I'll continue to download the trials, give the games a shot, then reject those that don't scream "wow", this is incredible!
And this game doesn't do that. At least for me.

CoolGrammy1
Minnow
Minnow
257 Posts

[Post New]by CoolGrammy1 on Dec 20, 12 12:36 PM
I really enjoyed the demo and it went very smoothly. The graphics and music are what one expects from this developer. The puzzles were fairly simple. I would buy the SE since I don't have any use for the "extras".

sunnyglow
Clownfish
Clownfish
804 Posts

[Post New]by sunnyglow on Dec 20, 12 1:20 PM
I may be in the minority but I really like this game. Why you may ask? Because I am one who absolutely hate HOS. This has NONE and that is great in my book. I also like the aspect of the mystery in this game. The gamERS have done a great job in my book. The only complaint I have is that the graphics are grainy on my computer. I thought their last game was better than this one. And if this was a HOG game, I would probably not like it. It is on the easy side so if you like easier game, it would be this one. I am playing in the most difficult mode and am not having any trouble at all which makes me think the easier modes would be way too easy. A good but not great game. But not every game can be spectacular. Their last game was that and more. But this will do for me. Hopefully the devs and BF will have a Christmas spectacular game on Sunday, that is if we survive the Mayan apocalypse. Just saying!! Wow! I see I have advanced to Parrotfish. Nice symbol. Geesh. Five years on this site and I have only advanced to this level. No matter. I only comment on games, so you can see I have reviewed about 400 games through the years. That is alot of games!!!

Edited on 12/20/2012 at 1:24:03 PM PST

[Post New]by daisyduck352 on Dec 20, 12 2:06 PM
I must say I am enjoying this ERS game, it might not have the HOG's but it's another great game with great graphics to go along with it. Voice overs are great and mouths move with the voice. Hints reload ok and like the storyline, Seems like we are having a lot of clown games at the moment but kinda neat. Has the tasks listed that you need to do. Have another 20 min to go but all in all think it's a great game.. Give this a 4 out of 5 stars.

[Post New]by Old_Man_River on Dec 20, 12 3:15 PM
What can I say? It's an ER game. Great graphics and fun. They have made some improvements and I love the game. This is not to say that there is no room for improvement, but I'm buying it. Try it for yourself

dlcoyte
Guppy
Guppy
118 Posts

[Post New]by dlcoyte on Dec 20, 12 3:35 PM
If your an ERS fan then why are they changing them so much lately? I happen to love HOGS as long as you dont revisit the same site a million times... Last few games they tried the Hogs and Fragmented games. This no HOGS... whaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaa...

You are changing what people like me loved about your game... I love that bit of predictability... I could always buy without even doing the demo. NOt now.... Im afraid to.

I tried this and really on edge whether to buy or not... Not a Hidden Object game unless you count finding one object here and there lying on the ground and you pick up for inventory...

Me Mad! Me want HOGs...

steve_san
Clownfish
Clownfish
586 Posts

[Post New]by steve_san on Dec 20, 12 4:30 PM
One of the worst ERS games ever made. Dumbest story line, simple play. A real letdown. Not even worth buying as a SE. The "plot" is you are a detective investigating the death of a reality show member. His teary wife enlists your help, but she later (in the demo) turns against you. And there's a clown one step ahead of you laughing at you at every turn. The "puzzles" are all incredibly easy. The "scary" clown is not scary. The only cool thing is there is an old homeless man who keeps coming to your aid. Unfortnately, he's not enough to save this mess.

Calicohorse
Lobster
Lobster
97 Posts

[Post New]by Calicohorse on Dec 20, 12 8:11 PM
I come down on the very enjoyable side of things. I agree it's a little too easy, click-click-click without having to think too much. I find most ERS games a tad too linear. But that's my only complaint, I think the rest is really different, even the artwork has a (somewhat) different look. I too am not missing the HOS; it's a nice change. Maybe without the HOS, morphing objects would have been a good addition. A solid and different game, I think.

elldee2728
Shark
Shark
14,378 Posts

[Post New]by elldee2728 on Dec 20, 12 10:21 PM
(Based on about 30 minutes with the demo, and then a purchase of the entire game)

Well, I think that ERS has taken a step in the right direction, climbing back towards one of the top game-developer studios.

This is a good murder mystery based on a "Reality TV Show," with a rather shocking intro ( I love the Golden Gate Bridge), and a really nifty opening screen and Options menu. Three sliders, cursor choice (the game one is a bit clunky), screen choice (hope the widescreen one works for those who need it (BFG reviewer Cbtx?)).

This game (so far) is mostly an adventure--no H0 scenes yet (but no disappointment here). The hint system points in the next direction; the integrated Strategy Guide (118 pages) remembers where you are. When I do collect an item for the inventory, I find it much fun to figure out where to use that item. Voice acting? Really good, with mouth-syncing moving with the dialogue. Graphics? Beautiful, per ERS quality. Do clowns scare you? Then you might want to stay away. No morphing objects or achievements (as I can tell).

I think that this is a worthy CE, with the bells and whistles. But I say, try the demo first.

Regards, elldee

lym_1609
Parrotfish
Parrotfish
431 Posts

[Post New]by lym_1609 on Dec 21, 12 5:03 AM
This game is so SURPRISING GOOD that I just dont know where to start. Its more of an easy adventuree game then pure HOG. Inventory usage is more than finding stuff, although all stuff made for finding had some usage. TOTALLY amazing, fills up my screen very well and the graphics! Just fantastic. The scary clown is indeed evil and scary, manical laughter makes me shiver! (not that scary but still good scary factor, I rate it PG)

30% off, or 1 or 1 similar value, pls sing these verses:

"Santa Claus is coming to town,
Santa Claus is coming to town,
Santa Claus is coming to town....."

JulieJay
Catfish
Catfish
1,555 Posts

[Post New]by JulieJay on Dec 21, 12 3:50 PM
Graphics: Bright and colourful

Gameplay: very smooth

Puzzles: too simple in the demo ( do they get harder? )

HO scenes: none

Tasks: yes by way of goals

Map: no

Inventory: locks in place

Voiceovers: Yes - very good

Hidden extras: no - unless you include the ultraviolet light which reveals hidden messages but then again they're pretty much pointed out to you

Hint system: shows you which direction to take

Verdict: the game didn't really blow me away and definitely not CE material

megwoman25
Clownfish
Clownfish
742 Posts

[Post New]by megwoman25 on Dec 21, 12 9:37 PM
Is the bridge in the first scene supposed to be the Golden Gate Bridge? It looks exactly like it!! I'm from that area so I was immediately captivated seeing it.

I can't believe I am going to say this BUT I really enjoy this game. I won't buy the CE because I don't trust ERS CE games based on what they have given us previously but if ERS continues in this direction, I would actually start buying their games again. This was a concept they have never done and it involved a person not some crazy witch or ghost or capturing the children's souls. The graphics were superb, it was wide screen on my computer and you could change the difficulty in the options menu.

It was VERY easy. Since mac players actually get the full demo time of 1 hour, not a sample, I got to chapter 3 and I had a lot of items I had no idea what to do with which I love BUT I did find the puzzles so very easy like my chocolate lab could have done them and he's afraid of his own tail and walks into walls. But the gameplay was so fun, I almost didnt mind having no challenge. I was ok with it which is crazy because I haven't liked an ERS game in ages. And frankly I never thought I would again....I love being proved wrong...

schobey
Guppy
Guppy
158 Posts

[Post New]by schobey on Dec 23, 12 1:34 AM
Really enjoyed the game. Great story line, I loved it even tho it had no hidden objects, but was just as good. The story kept me going. Thanks Big Fish for sale, and thans ERS devs for the game.

mrssharon
Guppy
Guppy
192 Posts

Not Overly Exciting

[Post New]by mrssharon on Dec 23, 12 9:09 AM
I played the entire demo and while I thought the game was okay, I wasn't overly impressed.

The music was eerie, as it should be. The voice-overs were good. I'm pleased they didn't try to sync with the characters' lips.

Most of the puzzles were not really puzzles, just exercises to move things around, so not at all a challenge. And when it indicated I needed 4 of something and allowed me to start with only 2 and then the other 2 items appeared, that was really confusing. I kept going back looking for the 2 items I didn't have yet.

Since I only played the demo, I couldn't figure out if the storyline became more developed. Was this a typical problem with the contestants or just this one? Hard to tell. At any rate, playing blind during the demo was a put off.

The graphics were good enough and the scenes bright enough so searching wasn't difficult.

I won't recommend this game. It needed more excitement. I mean, really, if your husband dies and you go to the police, wouldn't you be rather hysterical? Yes, the wife was tearful, but not extremely emotional. The game just wasn't up to snuff.

Go to: