Re:Reviews for Break the Curse: The Crimson Gems

[Post New]by whirled_peas on Dec 26, 12 10:50 PM
I enjoyed this game very much - over two evenings. I hate to admit that I did skip some of the puzzles after trying and trying. And they were the kind of puzzles I love - but some were diabolical. Overall, a beautiful game with no HOS (yay!! - Okay some find 10 of objects - but that was in a small popup box) and full of puzzles. Some you had to do again later in the game. I found myself looking forward to seeing them again.

I did have to get used to the dialogue box being on the bottom directly over your inventory box and it took me a little while to actually focus on it and remember to look there. After reading some bad reviews by people "who didn't get the game" and "thought hints were poor" - I think they were looking in the wrong place as the hints are quite direct and the talking bird even gave info as to where you'd want to head next after you'd performed something significant.

If you like puzzles and very lite HOS - this is the game. No map is really necessary as it's just not that large of an area that you work in at one time. Also the bird will give you directions at times.

Overall - it was just a tiny bit lagging in places but the beauty made up for it and the story was no better or worse than many, many others you see every day here.

I'm looking forward to playing this one again! I thought it was far better than Reality Show which was a CE.

ETA: After reading some other reviews in this forum: There is a walkthrough but the link from the game page is broken and takes you to the Strategy Guide. Go into the forums and use the link under the Walkthrough for Break the Curse... I admit I used it for several puzzles just to get them going and finished them myself. I did not have any problems with the puzzles acknowledging that I'd solved them correctly.

Edited on 12/26/2012 at 11:02:47 PM PST

nikma
Guppy
Guppy
135 Posts

[Post New]by nikma on Dec 28, 12 2:42 AM
bello,divertente ,qualche spunto originale,grafica accattivante e piacevole la voce fuori campo,mai invadente....mi sono divertita molto e non ho avuto difficoltà a seguire la storia e mi sono rilassata nel gioco...lo consiglio per le feste in relax...

[Post New]by RenaissanceMom on Dec 28, 12 1:40 PM
bratzgram wrote:Well! This one took me by suprise! My first opinion was not great. I thought there are far to many places that show magnifying glasses that are unusable areas. Also thought that the mini games were far to easy
WRONG! I still don't know why they have all the magnifiers but the minis get harder as you progress. The story line was fun and the graphics well done.
This how I felt at first too. Storyline, graphics, etc seemed ho-hum and not too thrilling, but the puzzles!!! They got more challenging as I progressed through the demo with a great fun factor. I LOVED them so it turned out to be a definite buy for me.

Micha1234
Clownfish
Clownfish
910 Posts

[Post New]by Micha1234 on Dec 29, 12 10:45 AM
Old_Man_River wrote:This game desperately needs a map.Puzzles are a little on the hard side. Thank Heaven for the walkthrough and the skip button

Exactly!!!!! Would be nice to know where I am and where I need to go!!!!

[Post New]by southrice1 on Dec 29, 12 5:35 PM
I have loaded this and unloaded this game three times. When I play it and get to the front of the house and try to pick up the stick at the lower left side of the screen the screen goes blank and shuts the game off. Anyone else having this problem.
Isabella

wzrwmn
Seahorse
Seahorse
20 Posts

[Post New]by wzrwmn on Dec 29, 12 6:56 PM
Without breaking the "spoiler" rule. I found this game more cumbersome than most. It worked well unless you somehow missed a step and then it threw you out. It was interesting but the instructions for the some of the mini games were a little murky. The graphics weren't bad but the game ran slow even after updating all my drivers and sound cards etc. If you run into a problem where the game throws you out continuously and it seems like you haven't done anything wrong try starting a new game under a different name. It worked for me but I was early in the game and quickly realized that I had skipped a mini game so the programing got confused?

nevarin
Jellyfish
Jellyfish
11 Posts

[Post New]by nevarin on Jan 3, 13 4:55 AM
Ah, this is a pure adventure and I have fallen in love with it from the 1st minute. Not to say I do not like HOGs, but this adventure gem is a nice change. The story, graphics, voice-overs produced no strong impression . But the puzzles are really outstanding: once I was getting further the challenge went higher.

Only fans of the genre will appreciate it.

Kamille_59
Seahorse
Seahorse
21 Posts

[Post New]by Kamille_59 on Jan 8, 13 7:52 AM
fluffyalso wrote: I am enjoying okay game play but find the puzzles puzzling. Some are straight forward and can be done in a reasonable amount of time. Others are either too hard to figure out or take too many steps to complete.

Agree, the puzzles were the reason I decided to stay away. Rather difficult and too many of them

qpr1
Clownfish
Clownfish
733 Posts

[Post New]by qpr1 on Jan 11, 13 7:56 AM
this game just did not grab me, for some reason it hurt my eyes

bessiegirl
Clownfish
Clownfish
738 Posts

[Post New]by bessiegirl on Jan 26, 13 2:04 PM
Lasted 15 minutes in the demo before I couldn't take it anymore. Very slow game, tedious mini game after mini game and I'm not a mini game kinda gal. Graphics were a bit blurry maybe because my screen is large and it stretched to fill it. Find it funny when a game has voiceovers and the lips don't move. Not a buy for me today with or without a credit.

blueskies01
Guppy
Guppy
161 Posts

[Post New]by blueskies01 on Jan 30, 13 5:08 PM
So many mini-games that it just didn't work for me--interfered with the flow too much. And collecting multiples of the same object doesn't qualify as a true HOG. This is an adventure game with puzzles at every turn. Individual graphics were at times wonderful, so I was unhappy that the hour demo felt so herky-jerky. Won't be buying this one, unfortunately.

Edited on 01/30/2013 at 5:12:07 PM PST

Mickeycb
Minnow
Minnow
221 Posts

[Post New]by Mickeycb on Apr 24, 13 4:42 PM
For once I did not have any problems or glitches with this game. It was different in the fact that you did not have the typical HOS, instead you were asked to find 12 of "whatever" in the scene, and those were not difficult at all. The puzzles were easy with a few that were a little bit more difficult. Like the fact that it was more puzzle oriented. This was a beautiful game to play and really not that difficult to move around, or figure out what you need to do, since there is an active task bar that tells you what you have to do. It was a welcomed changed and I liked it very much. I think if you want to practice on puzzles, or you like solving puzzles, this is a great game for that.

autumn_leaf
Shark
Shark
12,267 Posts

[Post New]by autumn_leaf on Jun 22, 13 3:22 PM
Nice widescreen, ambient sound, and a nice little game. Some hubby has got himself a witch problem. And now he is trying to get his wife back who is a bit of bird now. Course ....so is he.....LOL

You are hired by the employer of these married folks who are from the circus. I gotta say, yes it's another go find the missing persons, but it's handled well. No hidden objects scenes so far, so this is adventure which is just fine by me. Nothing like defeating some man stealing witch, to get your hackles up and ready to plow thru her nasty dusty, dried up milk bottles, and pretty much ramshackled shack to get the wife back.

This is a good game and I am buying it!!

[Post New]by MaudeO on Jul 21, 13 6:07 PM
If puzzles are your favorite thing, then you'll love this game. I don't mind games without HO scenes, but all of the puzzles became tiresome after a while. It's all a matter of personal taste.

BlackWaterRules
Shark
Shark
10,153 Posts

[Post New]by BlackWaterRules on Dec 29, 13 4:04 PM
If you love puzzles you will love this game. There is one puzzle after another, there is not much for hidden object
lovers but there is plenty for the puzzler to engage in:
secret locks, water fountains, portrait puzzles, you name it.

There are hours of fun here, in this visually beautiful game,
with a soothing soundtrack and nice voiceovers.

Go to: