greendle
Jellyfish
Jellyfish
19 Posts

Re:Reviews for Mystery Case Files®: Shadow Lake

[Post New]by greendle on Dec 29, 12 6:37 AM
This isn't really a review of the game, but of BFG. Saying this game is the #1 game of the year after reading all the reviews is so disappointing. You have really called your credibility and corporate integrity into question. I have long thought very highly of BFG in all respects but you definitely hurt yourselves with this move.

Edited on 12/29/2012 at 6:37:44 AM PST

Jorie10
Minnow
Minnow
221 Posts

[Post New]by Jorie10 on Dec 30, 12 2:53 PM
I used a credit today on this game. I really didn't believe that it could be as bad as folks were saying. Well, I was wrong. I feel as if I wasted a credit and, even worse, my afternoon. (Unfortunately, I'm someone who must finish a game once started.)

Dreaded every cut-scene with Lea Thompson. Whoever directed her did her a great disservice. I just cannot imagine that that over-the-top acting was her idea. (I've enjoyed her work in the past. It was nothing like what was seen in this game.)

Dreaded every psychic vision after the second one. Two was plenty of that 'puzzle' type. I felt it was just filler to lengthen the game.

Dreaded getting more drawings after the second batch. Bogged down forward movement. Just felt like more filler.

Just not a good game at all, in my opinion. So very glad it is over and deleted.

ETA
There is no way that this game should have the designation of 'Game of the Year'. Game of the Year should be voted on by BFG members. Basing it on sales is just basing it on everyone's hope that it will be a good game and worth the purchase.

Edited on 12/30/2012 at 2:56:23 PM PST

[Post New]by grace7mart on Dec 31, 12 9:14 AM
I look forward to Christmas - for obvious reasons and the release of the new MCF game. For the last 2 years I have been HUGELY disappointed. Shadow Lake is such a pathetic game - the storyline seemed short and so very easy, the puzzles/minigames missing or boring. I don't care that the acting wasn't very good I don't buy a MCF game for that; I do care about the rest. I'm sorry, but I'll think very hard before I buy next Christmas...

[Post New]by tigerlpn on Dec 31, 12 9:51 AM
Very disappointed with the game. Would not let me find objects needed. Would not let me change players to start over. What a waste of money!!!!

Jools_99
Seahorse
Seahorse
20 Posts

[Post New]by Jools_99 on Jan 2, 13 1:02 AM
GAME OF THE YEAR!!!!!!!!!!!! SERIOUSLY!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

This game is terrible. I played the demo based on being game of the year. I took the chance even though all members said otherwise.

Bigfishgames you should listern to your members aka the gamers. This game is terrible and should not be on any list other than "Dont waste your time"

[Post New]by jamesarcool on Jan 2, 13 3:22 AM
I’ve played the full SE version of this game and enjoyed it. It’s carried on the finding-images-in-a-scene that was introduced in the previous game, Escape from Ravenhearst, and has gone back to Hidden Object Scenes, instead of Morphing Object Scenes, that spread out over more than one scene in most cases. The puzzles I didn’t like so much were the jigsaw puzzles with the moving pictures on them, not because they were hard (they weren’t for me), but because they didn’t always connect correctly and you had to jiggle the puzzle until they did.

Moving around the game is a mixture of the original MCF games, using the map to move to different sections, and the later games where you can move from room to room using hot spots.

The game uses real actors and apart from the Cassandra character being stereotypically over-the-top the acting is good. Not as disturbing as the previous MCF game but still not suitable for kids due to the subject material.

The game is about 1.5GB so will take a while to download on slower connections.

wvsandy
Squid
Squid
71 Posts

[Post New]by wvsandy on Jan 2, 13 12:37 PM
I don't usually review games because others do it so much better, but I'm so fried about this game I just have to

I played the first MCF game ages ago, and fell in love the Ravenhearst. In fact, that's the reason I joined BFG. I enjoyed each new addition to the series through Dire Grove. Then came 13th Skull, which I thought was a let down after DG. I didn't even buy Escape from Ravenhearst until recently when I decided to replay the Ravenhearst series, and I haven't finished it yet because of lack of interest.

That should have been my clue not to bother with any further entries into the series, but I went ahead and purchased this when the SE came out. I thought the 60 minute demo was interesting enough to spend a credit. What a waste of a credit! This game is so repetitious and just plain dull, that I just bulled my way through to get it over with so I could delete it from my computer. The rolling jigsaw between scenes was so annoying that for the first time ever, I didn't even bother attempting to solve the puzzle after the first two. I just let the skip button fill and skipped it altogether. Oh, if only I could have done that with some of the lame, overacted cut scenes, too.

In my opinion, BFG laid a giant goose egg with this loser. And believe me, I'll never waste my money on another in this series.

like2find
Jellyfish
Jellyfish
11 Posts

[Post New]by like2find on Jan 2, 13 12:47 PM
So sorry I purchased this game. A little over the top with drama for my taste. The hidden objects are too small and dark to find without using the hint button repeatedly. Mini-puzzle/games instructions were lame...if there were instructions at all. My suggestion...don't waste your money or time....

[Post New]by flanomad45 on Jan 3, 13 6:03 PM
Wow!! Can you say crap! This game was awful. The entire MCF series has been great and then you add this to it. Wasted a credit on this one, didnt read reviews or demo because it was another MCF! Really dont like the constant interaction being told what to do etc. Bad call Bigfish

[Post New]by Ladytall on Jan 4, 13 4:57 AM
This game was such a DISAPPOINTMENT..my kids and I loved the other MCF..but this one is really really boring. Where is Victor??? where is that story line?..where is the "morphing" objects..plot...storyline?...all is missing from here. I would recomment NOT buying the CE..not worth the credits...

SAD sigh

k25belle
Jellyfish
Jellyfish
12 Posts

[Post New]by k25belle on Jan 4, 13 7:05 PM
I just want to say that everyone is being a little bit to harsh in my opinion, I have always love all the mcf games and i think i always will, and this one is no different yes the going back and forth with the picture pieces is annoying lol i think the game itself is great. I give them great credit for the work they do on these games. It takes alot of time and money to do all the work they put in these games. I thought the map was a big help because my computer does not like to go thru every scene without freezing up, and its my computer not the game..Bigfish i give u a job well done, even if most people have nothing nice to say about it. Whooohooo MCF will always be the bestest game ever, and i love the live actors that makes the game sooo much fun.....Keep um coming I'll be watching. lol

shadowsong
Squid
Squid
69 Posts

[Post New]by shadowsong on Jan 4, 13 9:31 PM
I was dissapointed with Lea Thompson's acting in this, really hokey. I definitly blame the Director for lack of direction. That was the worst part of the game.
I actually liked the hidden object list lasting through several scenes. That was different for me, I haven't seen that before. I am generally not a fan of hidden object jumbles, but the way this game presented them, I didn't mind so much.

This is definitely not the best game I have ever played, but I spent a diverting 4-5 hours on it. I didn't care for the format of handing out the drawings, but I did enjoy finding them. It was a different type of hidden object search. The game format did get a bit tired with repetition and I didn't like the end of scene tumbling jigsaws. They became tedious.

However, all of that said, I think this game is worth playing. I played the regular edition through to the end. The mystery was interesting. I did have access to a lot of objects before I knew what they were for, so the timeline could use some work.

Overall, I thought the art work was good, the secondary actors were good, the hidden object searches kept me interested (even though I hate traditional hidden object jumble scenes) and the use of all the locations multiple times is actually a plus in my book.

Big Fish, you defintely need to find a different way to rate your games, because although this game was all right, I'm sure you can name something much better based on customer reviews or votes. First seven day sales only rates our hope that the game will be good, not if it actually is good.

In conclusion, I believe this game is not as bad as a lot of the reviewers are saying. You may want to give it a try.

SPOILERS:

If you have young children, they may be disturbed by some of the ghosts, dead bodies and scare faces that show up throughout the game. They can be startling for a moment. There is also a supposed devil that is posessing people, could be scary for some.
I wish there had been more of a mystery to uncover in the present. The 'secret tapes' were completely irrelevant. There should have been some kind of clue in them, or an uncovering of the mystery like in Dire Grove. There was a start with the Ghost Chaser characters that could have gone much further and into multiple locations.
What happened to Sam? That ghost was completely unexplained.
The plot was fairly nonexistent, it definitely could have been fleshed out.
The easy map felt like cheating a bit.

VanRonk
Starfish
Starfish
57 Posts

[Post New]by VanRonk on Jan 5, 13 10:24 AM
Hi all,

I have just finished playing the SE. It is not good. I purchased it after I saw it was "customer game of the year."
Sorry, but I cannot see how this is even "game of the year #150."

Pretty sure I've played every other MCF game, this is by far the bottom of the pile. Sorry fishes but I cannot recommend it. In fact, I wish I'd never bought it.

Take care all

Edited on 01/05/2013 at 10:25:08 AM PST

Seester2
Guppy
Guppy
197 Posts

[Post New]by Seester2 on Jan 8, 13 6:16 PM
This game wasn't as bad as some players have said, but it isn't great either. It started off pretty good, but got repetitive. It is also a typical dark game. Those are getting old, but I guess since we keep getting them, they will keep making them. I had a few technical glitches that for the most part corrected when I closed the game and opened it again, except at the very end when you needed the log entry to solve a puzzle....it would not let me get to the log at all. The graphics were good, but the hidden objects close-ups were a bit blurry. I really liked the whole room hidden object hunts, though. It made more sense to me to find objects throughout rooms instead of in one close-up. Overall, I would give this game a 5 out of 10.

[Post New]by baltimore_babe on Jan 13, 13 3:16 AM
I just finished the game and to me, I kind of liked it. I liked the cut scenes to real people and the artwork. But then I also liked the series done in Sweden with live people. It's a relief from cartoonish artwork. Kind of surprised at the hostile reviews.

read61
Salmon
Salmon
2,775 Posts

[Post New]by read61 on Jan 13, 13 6:34 PM
I have now finally played this one, and it was about what I was expecting. Lea Thompson will probably delete this one from her resume, it certainly did her no favours! Game was extremely short, story was never completely explained and the Master Detective was basically just a runner for Cassandra. I did enjoy having the HO scenes spread out over more than one location but that is about the only good thing I can say about this one. Waited for the SE and used a PCC on it (I learned my lesson the hard way last year) so at least it did not cost me anything! Will be doing the same next year unless BFG manage to get back to their usual standards. Has the MCF team had some radical changes in personnel? I cannot believe that the team who gave us RTR, DG and 13 Skull would produce something like this.............

[Post New]by queenholly on Jan 16, 13 6:51 PM
I purchased this one on the reputation of all the other MCF games I've purchased in the past, and didn't download the trial. Boy, did I get hosed on this one. Absolutely appalling, and Lea Thomson's acting was just beyond tragic.

[Post New]by mattiehelen2002 on Jan 18, 13 7:06 PM
I bought this game because it was a MCF.

I finally finished this game, but Shadow Lake is absolutely the worse game I have ever played. It was not fun. I gave up on the safe, and never figured out the quarry, so I guess that means I cannot ever play the bonus game.

When the game ended, I was forced to view all of the credits, and to add insult to injury, when I tried to go back to the game to figure out the Grimes Quarry, It made me review the credits again. I do not ever get to play any bonus game. What's the deal with that? It makes me angry!!!

I really hated the strategy guide. You folks will have to do a lot better. Shadow Lake made me lose interest in playing anything. It was just so draining. Even the HOs were bad.

bugon1
Jellyfish
Jellyfish
11 Posts

[Post New]by bugon1 on Jan 20, 13 4:20 PM
This is absolutely the worst game I have played on BF.
I expected better out of Mystery Case Files. Thank goodness there was a map to go to.

[Post New]by mike0725 on Jan 21, 13 8:25 PM
I certainly didn't loathe the game like a lot of other people apparently did. I have played all the MCF games and have liked them all. I admit that this one was not as fun as Return to Ravenhurst (my all time favorite HOG) or Dire Grove, but I still found it enjoyable. The MCF games all do that abandoned/haunted creepy vibe well, and I thought this game continued that tradition.

I did find Lea Thompson's presence distracting. I don't love the live actors to begin with, but she would have been much more tolerable if she were some unknown actress. She was really hamming it up, and the whole time all I could think was "she was in the Back to the Future movies, for goodness sake!"

My one big negative was those horrific puzzles inside Cassandra's mind. It was next to impossible to properly position those tiles and it was an exercise in pure frustration. After the 3rd puzzle, I just waited until the "Skip" button was enabled so I could watch the video and move on.

Despite these shortcomings, I still give the game a positive review. Keep 'em coming!

Edited on 01/21/2013 at 8:30:38 PM PST

Go to: