Susanna2
Starfish
Starfish
50 Posts

Re:Reviews for Nightmare Realm: In the End... Collector's Edition

[Post New]by Susanna2 on Dec 30, 12 12:53 PM
A beautiful game!

Awesome graphics, an exciting story, a good length, some - not much - very nicely done special HOGs, beautiful locations.

I love it!

vingilot
Dolphin
Dolphin
6,175 Posts

[Post New]by vingilot on Dec 30, 12 12:58 PM
Just finished the demo and will definitely get this game. It's just as beautiful (once you get to the colorful part) and intriguing as the first one. I like that they made finding the origami an important part of the game and that the HOs are on a minimum and have some good interactive elements to them.

[Post New]by daisyduck352 on Dec 30, 12 1:14 PM
Played for 30 min and really don't care for it. I did like the first one but this one seems to be a bit much. Guess it all depends on what you like, Think there are a lot more out there to choose from so it will not be a buy for me.

debraljensen
Squid
Squid
75 Posts

[Post New]by debraljensen on Dec 30, 12 1:33 PM
I've never seen graphics better in any game as this one. The Artist's deserve an award

marg6043
Clownfish
Clownfish
582 Posts

[Post New]by marg6043 on Dec 30, 12 5:07 PM
Love this sequence as much as I love the first game, I have to say, this game is full of things to do and puzzles to solve, it have a bit of everything.

The demo just give a bit of what the game is all about. I had the feeling from the first game that something was reserved for the future, the best part of the whole story line was just to come down the line.

I have not been this busy on a game in a while and I love it.!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

The scenes are very well put together, even my daughter got impress by the music and voices and she is 28 years old.

The first thing that came out of her mouth was " mom that sounds spooky".

Great game and like others have said fantastic graphics art.

gingergal
Manatee
Manatee
3,873 Posts

[Post New]by gingergal on Dec 30, 12 5:53 PM
REVIEW ON FINISHED GAMEPLAY ON HARDEST MODE

This is a sequel to nightmare realm which you have to play first or I think you would be lost. The other strange world which you can go into because your child dreams and paints pictures. Your child is now grown up (although doesn’t look it) and you play as the mother again.

Comparing between the two, the first one wins hands down in plot, even graphics and enjoyment factor. I can’t quite put my finger on it but this is missing the spark of the first and I think it is to do with plot. I don’t like saying anything about the plot as it’s a spoiler but I miss the suspense, charm of the first game.

This is a far darker game than the first one, with more references to demons although the other realm was to do with more evil men and imaginings. I felt there was a lot more grey scenes in this compared to the first game which I always remember as being a visually lovely game in the dark scenes.
If you have played drawn then you understand the concept and gameplay although both games don’t measure to drawn although the first one came very close.

It plays as an adventure game, with some puzzles (21) and only 4 HOS in main game.

I did enjoy a lot of this game – it had some very good adventure aspects to it along with a wide range of puzzles although most were on the easy side.
On the hardest setting of three (which I played) there is no hint button but there is a skip button. There is a map indicating things to do but it’s not a transporter map. I liked that the inventory bar you can unlock it so when you don’t need it’s not in view.

4 HOS

All were list and one you repeated. They were very interactive and some nearly every item you had to do things with. No tiny items, I thought most were clear – the first one in the forest was the least clear of all of them. There is a random click penalty but it is very forgiving.

to be continued

gingergal
Manatee
Manatee
3,873 Posts

[Post New]by gingergal on Dec 30, 12 5:54 PM
continued

21 puzzles (has a skip button on it)

I loved a lot of the puzzles, even some easier ones if it’s interesting, different and fun I enjoy them. Wide range of hardness. I do class puzzles that are harder in a HOPA if it takes me a while to do it and it’s not super easy. So on that note there were a couple ‘hard’ ones but not ones you would never work out, it just took time.

As usual (for some reason) all the puzzles at the beginning were easy. I loved some of the puzzles – the multi layered ones especially, as it’s more interesting.

Some of the types of puzzles – Hanoi tower (which I hate as done it so often), tangram, rotate ring, move people across river, 2 jigsaw types, balance puzzle, arcade, move water around between bottles/ 3x3 slider, photo fit, paint puzzle, mosaic swap tiles.

CE extras and bonus

Extras –

36 origami which you collect in main game
15 (?) music
17 wallpaper
20 concept art
SG

It did annoy me that I did get all collectables but I expected I could go into my journal or I could go somewhere to get a screenshot of them but it flashed so quickly I did miss it.

Plot like the last game is all tied up and SE players will be very satisfied that there isn’t loose ends (well for me there wasn’t.)

to be continued

Edited on 12/31/2012 at 3:51:16 PM PST

gingergal
Manatee
Manatee
3,873 Posts

[Post New]by gingergal on Dec 30, 12 5:55 PM
continued

Bonus play

The plot is very dark and goes back in time to explain the ‘why’ of the ‘baddie.’ Not wanting to give anything away this alone was the reason why I didn’t like the plot in the bonus or even the ending in the main game (although the last scene in main game was good). That being said all the graphics bar the opening horrible scene was the most bright and colourful in the whole game, really beautiful and the most whimsical of all the worlds. So that aspect of it – gameplay and setting was pure fun. All of it was in new area which made a huge difference and I loved the HOS and everything – even more than main game apart from the plot.

The 3 paintings in the bonus was all HOS and the goal in each was to quiet each list object so not to wake up the sleeping child. Every single item was highly interactive and I thought some quite hard.

There was also 7 puzzles - swap tiles to form picture, rotate rings, move tiles from one side to another amongst others.

edit - can't count - TIME – main game -5hrs playing time no breaks
(

Bonus – 1hr 20 mins
(I was very slow on the HOS!)

I am recommending the CE due to collectables and good length and quality bonus and fun gameplay (in bonus) but I really didn’t like the plot especially in the bonus -if you are an adventure lover and don’t mind the very dark theme and like something different.

It’s only getting 3 stars as I was disappointed in compared to the first game, felt it was darker (in theme and looks) and thought the plot was very poor but I did like some puzzles and thought the gameplay overall was very good.

spoiler only read if completed main game - reason why I didn't like the bonus plot *due to the child being so miserable and the opening scene was horrible.. I don't particularly like child in peril storylines but can put up with them (hate child abuse plots though) as usually there is a loving parent in kidnapped plots or someone to care for them but here there wasn't that and the first scene seemed more continual abuse was going on, on a personal note that made a difference to me, so sad. With me there's a OK line and that crossed it. Also re boy and balcony!! .*

I also had no tech problems whatsoever in this game, everything ran very smoothly and cutscenes ran fine.

Edited on 12/31/2012 at 3:57:24 PM PST

sleeplady
Minnow
Minnow
214 Posts

[Post New]by sleeplady on Dec 30, 12 6:29 PM
How can people enjoy a game with such a disturbing story line? With this kind of 'entertainment' is it any wonder that there are so many violent acts in our schools and in our society today? I am a huge HOG fan and literally own 100s but I prefer developers that can manage a good storyline without resorting to torture.

grandmab3248
Herring
Herring
342 Posts

[Post New]by grandmab3248 on Dec 30, 12 7:19 PM
For most of the demo, I was bored. I thought it was dreary, and another doom and gloom game. The only part I liked, was when you inserted the round disk into the wall, played the mini game and went into an enchanting land with a boy and a druid that was dying, and you had to save the day. I might get the SE with a coupon.

lym_1609
Parrotfish
Parrotfish
431 Posts

[Post New]by lym_1609 on Dec 31, 12 1:21 AM
Cant remember what the 1st Nightmare Realm was like. But this CE of the 2nd series is definitely dark, scary. Beautiful graphics, some areas are dark, until I got rid of something, eg, restored the tree etc and then u got a shock at the beautiful painted live like 3d scenery

There are 36 origami to collect and this has a good storyline as well. Lots of fun and lots of puzzles, not heavy of HO scenery.

LOVE

[Post New]by quarlesqueen on Dec 31, 12 9:26 AM
For me this is one of those WOW games, ..I just absolutely LOVE IT!!!!!
I also LOVED the first one, and after playing the demo this was a must buy, even though I wasn't suppose to buy anymore CE'S for a while, due to low funds, after the holidays, I just couldn't resist, its that good, IMHO anyway .

I love the story, the artwork and graphics are just AWESOME, so beautiful, the fun factor is there in the game play.
For me this one has it all, so I am going to get back to playing, happy gaming everyone

[Post New]by kris_cross48 on Dec 31, 12 12:31 PM
wow...just wow.
This game is a very fine piece of artistry, writing, programmng..it has it all. I think it is easiest the best game I've seen in 2012. (and we've seen some excellant ones)
I'll let everyone else be specific..but...WOW
kris

Cobweb55
Minnow
Minnow
256 Posts

[Post New]by Cobweb55 on Dec 31, 12 6:14 PM
I found this game to be odd.. I was very lukewarm with it, graphics were awesome but I really did not like the story line. In fact, I found it to be disturbing. I generally like dark subject lines, but not this time. May have just been my mood, but I don't think so...

The game really bogged down toward the end and the bonus game was very sluggish. Turned off my PC and rebooted, no change...

I highly suggest you try before you buy... it isn't everyone's cup of tea, and it certainly not mine. Zero replay appeal for me.

Tiger2010
Whale Shark
Whale Shark
16,624 Posts

[Post New]by Tiger2010 on Jan 1, 13 11:24 AM
This is my first game from these developers. Not having played the first Nightmare Realm, it was quite confusing to understand exactly what was going on at first and I found the gameplay different from what I was used to.

However, once I got to the cells I began to 'get it' and I found it extremely enjoyable. The puzzles are ones I have not seen before and they are challenging. The few H0S (only 4 in the main game - 21 puzzles) are extremely well done, very interactive and even contain interactive puzzles. The graphics are beautiful and reminiscent of the Myst games. The Hint button is extremely helpful. However, some gamers may find the puzzle Skip button slow to refill. For once, though, this only made me want to solve all puzzles without using it.

The map is different and instead of a journal there are cards that tell you about progress. You collect origami animals and objects throughout which fill up character cards that give you information about the people you meet along the way.

The bonus is beautifully bright and colourful and brings the story together. In the bonus every H0S has interactive objects to be found.

This developer also cares about what we think as they are inviting comments in a thread they have created in the game forum on this site.

Since I'm interested in how it all began, I'll play the first one now. I'd recommend to play them in the right order to fully understand what is going on.

Great game!

caseymom
Minnow
Minnow
206 Posts

[Post New]by caseymom on Jan 1, 13 12:14 PM
This game changes scenes slower than molasses in January. Maybe it is for effect, but it is irritating as heck. I beta tested this game and it changed scenes quickly there. The music is fine, the art work is really good and I like the story line, but it takes too many clicks to get anything to happen or scenes to change. Its a no buy for me...and it looked like a good game. Rats!!!

shripch
Dogfish
Dogfish
1,952 Posts

[Post New]by shripch on Jan 1, 13 12:37 PM
Okay, I'll buy this game. I went into my purchase summary and started counting. How many games do I own? I quit counting after I hit 100 and was just up to the D's. I honestly had forgotten the first Nightmare Realm! Too many games in-between, but after reviewing that one I realized how much I enjoyed playing it even though it did have a "dark" side. So with the New Year's sale and the great reviews, I'll commit.
And the graphics do remind me of the Drawn series, and I have each one of those fixed in my memory as something truly special.

Bink_In_AK
Minnow
Minnow
237 Posts

[Post New]by Bink_In_AK on Jan 1, 13 1:53 PM
Definitely a winner even at CE price and to make it even better the New Years sale brought it down to SE price. Can't beat that!

A buy for me.

Valdy
Marlin
Marlin
9,383 Posts

[Post New]by Valdy on Jan 1, 13 2:32 PM
After my initial reluctance to buy the CE, because of the many puzzles and few HOS, I have decided to buy the CE today.

I am so glad I bought it. Once I get away from the dark place, the colours are so vibrant. The graphics are the best I have ever seen. The animation is just wonderfully done.

And so far I have managed to do most of the puzzles I have come across (only skipped 2 so far), and I love the mini games as well. Somehow I don't mind the puzzles. Maybe it's because they are a little different from others, and I do enjoy them, which doesn't happen very often with me.

I loved that first HOS I came across, but haven't come across another one so far, and there are only 4 of them. Going by the first HOS I played, I wished there were more of them. They really are wonderfully done as well. Lots of colours and animation and things to do. Really something.

Anyway, I love this game.

judyglenning
Guppy
Guppy
126 Posts

[Post New]by judyglenning on Jan 1, 13 2:34 PM
I loved the original and I'm sure I would enjoy this one too if not for the 5 1/2 minute wait for the skip on the middle difficulty level.
I no longer buy games with a skip that takes longer than 3 minutes.
Just because I don't want sparkles leading me around doesn't mean I want to sit wasting time on a mini-game I hate. If I like the mini-game I'll sit with it as long as it takes to finish, no need to keep me prisoner to a clock when I don't.

Edited for SE version
GOOD NEWS for anybody considering the SE version. The wait for the skip in the SE is shorter, under 3 minutes-closer to 2 min.
Thank you for fixing this.

Edited on 01/30/2013 at 9:51:50 AM PST

Go to: