Hello from developers!

Dev_V
Starfish
Starfish
52 Posts

Re:Hello from developers!

[Post New]by Dev_V on Jan 1, 13 10:50 AM
Hi weissvonnix!

Thanks for the compliments - I'll pass them on to our girls from art department And I'm glad you've figured out how to operate with the map - there was a slight concern it could be too complicate but in the end we've decided to thake this risk as we wanted to try something new.
I hope the rest of the game won't disappoint you! Please come back with your thoughts and feelings any time soon!

gingergal
Manatee
Manatee
3,873 Posts

[Post New]by gingergal on Jan 1, 13 11:08 AM
I loved the fact in the main game there were only 4 HOS. I'd have been happy with none or do the HOS like the bonus game which was like very mini puzzles for each item and from someone who usually doesn't actively like HOS I actually loved the bonus HOS very different. But as they took a while to do I think having too many of them could have become a negative (like having 10 of them in the main game)

The only negative I can say about the HOS is I don't understand why one was repeated.

I do think that maybe people who love the HOS in games, either big fish or in game description could make this clear. As there were so little in this game I thought you could easily have made this into a pure adventure game,( ) as there are so few.

The puzzles I love and even the easy ones or the ones we've seen before had different graphics or were done well. I love the multi layered ones. I would have loved to have seen slightly more hard puzzles in it, so the range of difference hardness would be evenly spaced between easy and hard (for a HOPA). It would have even be great to have had 1 or 2 that were truly hard - a rarity sadly in HOPAs or even adventure lite games.

I loved the Foster's story and that's what I missed here in the whole game - it was very quick. I thought you could have done the complete overview of the backstory for people in the diary on a desk at the beginning and then people who don't want the plot could skip it - not read it - but then others could then know what is going on even with cutscenes from the first game, but explaining everything.

Good job, and thanks for coming in.

Dev_V
Starfish
Starfish
52 Posts

[Post New]by Dev_V on Jan 1, 13 12:00 PM
Hello gingergal!

Thanks for your feedback! That was the exact thing we thought about HOS from bonus episode - if there will be too much of them people may struggle too hard through them thus getting bored; but why not try to experiment a bit in the extra chapter? As for using one HOS twice: we felt we needed to make emphasis on the character to whom this scene belonged; and as we couldn't speak to him directly by that moment we thought it may be good to shuffle through his things once more to set him up a bit better. When we first enter this HO scene we could be a little distracted by looking for one cute NPC (hope I haven't spoil anything
out and you got my idea ).

And thanks for the idea of backstory overview - it has something in it Of course, we'll have many discussions within the team next time we come up with setting up some backstory again but I think your option could do well.

Valdy
Marlin
Marlin
9,383 Posts

[Post New]by Valdy on Jan 1, 13 12:31 PM
After seeing some glowing reviews about the bonus game, I decided to buy the CE after all. I just visited the place in the first painting. I can't express what I felt when I saw the graphics and colours. So beautiful and perfect. It makes one wish one could go there for real. So very well done. And never mind the animations. Absolutely wonderful.

And, I am happy to say, I managed the puzzles I have come across so far. Sometimes it takes me a little longer than the 2 minutes it takes for the Skip button to fill to do a puzzle, but if I am patient (and I am not a patient person in general), I can do them - so far anyway.

Oh, and I love the fact that the Inventory glows in an orange light when all around everything is dark and murky in the world of the baddies.

Edited on 01/01/2013 at 1:01:14 PM PST

Pickles77
Minnow
Minnow
264 Posts

[Post New]by Pickles77 on Jan 1, 13 12:50 PM
Hi Vlad and Happy New Year! I thought you did a marvelous job with the graphics of the game..however, I agree with Valdy, there are not enough HOS, way too many puzzles. If there were an equal amount of both HOS and puzzles, I would not hesitate to buy the game. I am on the fence however as to whether to buy it even at sale price....but great job though!

Darla1108
Starfish
Starfish
54 Posts

[Post New]by Darla1108 on Jan 1, 13 2:06 PM
Dev_V wrote:Hi Cyndo123!

Thanks for congratulations! And we really appreciate you like our HOS in the bonus chapter (to tell you frank, we were a bit concerned that players won't like them since they are different ).
As for reset button - deal! We'll certainly take this into the account in our upcoming titles.

I'm really happy to see you willing to have a reset button for the next game. I have always found it difficult for me to figure out some puzzles. The best thing I have found lately is that in some CE's, there is a reset button and when I see that I just can't get the puzzle on my own, I can reset it, and go to the SG and follow it step by step. Sometimes I have even been able to see how a puzzle worked that way. Some I still don't know how I got it to work, but my brain just doesn't work that way. I am buying this CE today as I find the graphics so beautiful and different and the story has kept me interesting and going forward (even though I do miss my HO scenes). To me, that just gives me another opportunity to look at beautiful graphics and study them. Thanks for the beautiful game.

pattyjo
Squid
Squid
69 Posts

[Post New]by pattyjo on Jan 1, 13 2:37 PM
I love love this game and unlike the first comment in the list I am very happy with less and less HOG's bring on the puzzles and let the others do all the HOG's you are to talented for that. Story,pictures colors everything is wonderful and sooo fun to play. I hope you keep doing games this way and I will keep looking for more and will purchase them for sure. You have my attention happy to have you!

poppy45
Clownfish
Clownfish
834 Posts

[Post New]by poppy45 on Jan 1, 13 4:06 PM
I am enjoying the 2nd game as much as the 1st. but could you pls put a skip at the elevator puzzle looking forward to another game just as good. Mery Christmas to all devs from all the pond

BFFirefly
Clownfish
Clownfish
540 Posts

[Post New]by BFFirefly on Jan 1, 13 4:49 PM
Happy New Year Vlad and "Thank You" to you and your team for such an outstanding game! I have the first Nightmare Realm and love it. I purchased this new one for several reasons.

May I start out by saying the graphics and artwork are brilliant! I didn't see a lag between the characters talking and the synching. Perhaps this is due to my owning a high end gamers laptop that are made to run a game as the developer intended.

I would classify your game as an Adventure/Puzzle and your game met and exceeded my expectations in those areas. The few HO's you did have I thoroughly enjoyed because of the interactiveness needed to complete them but I'm glad you kept them to a minimum. To be honest, had this been a loaded down HO game, I wouldn't have purchased it.

I hope you don't change the core game play for those not ready to fully embrace adventure/puzzle games. There are many HOS games to choose from but those who prefer adventure/puzzle games need to be offered a niche in the gaming world as well. Your game reminds me so much of the old Myst and 7th Guest series that many of us have sorely missed. They were straight adventure/puzzles games that had a large following.

I played the game at the Expert level and didn't need to use the Hint button but only because you kindly indicated on the Map an area where a task needed to be performed but I think a jump map might be nice to save the player from back tracking. Sheer laziness on my part but some of your puzzles did tax my gray matter. As others indicated it would be nice to have a reset button on the puzzles. It's always after you made the wrong move that you realize you just made a crucial mistake.

I personally loved this game and I eagerly await the next adventure/puzzle you and your team develop.

Edited for spelling errors.

Edited on 01/01/2013 at 4:59:51 PM PST

DragonLadyOz
Shark
Shark
12,214 Posts

[Post New]by DragonLadyOz on Jan 1, 13 7:41 PM
Hello Vlad and the rest of the development team,
I also would like to thank you for a wonderful sequel to your first game.
I must admit that I was concerned that the sequel would have been different and lost the charm of the first, as is often the case, but not so.
You have all done a fantastic job with this game and you should be proud of yourselves. The HOS were wonderful .... but my only complaint is there weren't enough of them. There seemed to be a larger ratio in the Bonus Game than the Main Game. Please don't be influenced to reduce the number of HOS in the future as they are delightful puzzles in themselves and I personally wanted "more".
I am eagerly awaiting the next game from you, be it another one in this series or something new.
Cheers.

pattyjo
Squid
Squid
69 Posts

[Post New]by pattyjo on Jan 1, 13 8:10 PM
The more I play this game the happier I am !! Such an imagination,such surprises all along the way WOW, please Vlad do you have any other game I could play? I think I played the first one like this one but not sure? Keep them coming I will get them all !!

SirMitch
Guppy
Guppy
108 Posts

[Post New]by SirMitch on Jan 1, 13 8:41 PM
I can't get this game to run on my computer. I downloaded the demo and when I tried to play, it immediately took me to the screen that said, "Thanks for playing!" I checked all the stats and can find no reason why this game won't run. Any suggestions?

[Post New]by Persistent_Cat on Jan 1, 13 10:21 PM
SirMitch wrote:I can't get this game to run on my computer. I downloaded the demo and when I tried to play, it immediately took me to the screen that said, "Thanks for playing!" I checked all the stats and can find no reason why this game won't run. Any suggestions?

Contact BFG Tech Support.

[Post New]by Persistent_Cat on Jan 1, 13 10:28 PM
This game is fantastic. I've only taken a break to come to the forum to ask if I should be worried about spiders. I'm terrified of them and I'm about to enter the "fear" painting. If I had one suggestion, it would be to never have them in games.

Otherwise, wow! Good job.

First of all, I can't tell you how much I love being able to lock the inventory. It's such a little thing and not a dealbreaker for me but I love the option.

The map/journal is beautiful. I love that my character appears as a token. I don't care about being able to jump around or being told where objectives are, to me that's like using hint and takes the fun out of things. I love the event cards and character cards. Very creative.

I love collecting things so I love the origami.

I also appreciate having less HOG scenes. Puzzles can be skipped but HOGs can't and I find them to be the most tedious part of any game.

If I were to make one teeny suggestion (aside from no spiders), I would love the ability to switch difficulty level mid-game. I'm playing on the hardest setting but if I come across a tile slider puzzle, I'm done for, I just can't solve those.

It's a great game!!!!

DragonLadyOz
Shark
Shark
12,214 Posts

[Post New]by DragonLadyOz on Jan 1, 13 10:48 PM
Hi there Persistent_Cat,
You stated....
I also appreciate having less HOG scenes. Puzzles can be skipped but HOGs can't and I find them to be the most tedious part of any game.

... but as with the previous game the HOS in this series also include puzzles to be solved and not just tedious "search for" lists with a couple of interractive elements (such as lighting a candle). I personally thought there weren't enough of these delightful HOS in the main game as opposed to the bonus game.
Cheers

Edited on 01/01/2013 at 10:49:07 PM PST

[Post New]by Persistent_Cat on Jan 1, 13 11:30 PM
DragonLadyOz wrote:Hi there Persistent_Cat,
You stated....

... but as with the previous game the HOS in this series also include puzzles to be solved and not just tedious "search for" lists with a couple of interractive elements (such as lighting a candle). I personally thought there weren't enough of these delightful HOS in the main game as opposed to the bonus game.
Cheers

True. Putting the idol together was a nice touch. But there was a spider in that HO scene and my fear is that bad so I think I also don't enjoy HO scenes because there's almost always a spider. Some I can handle and some I can't. That scene was a bad one for me. Makes me anxious. I had my husband open the tank with the termites because I had no idea what was in the tank.

At least puzzles can be skipped, you can never skip HO scenes.

But getting to lock the inventory!!!! I love that!!!

Dev_V
Starfish
Starfish
52 Posts

[Post New]by Dev_V on Jan 2, 13 12:23 AM
Valdy,
I'm happy you're enjoying playing NRITE!

Dev_V
Starfish
Starfish
52 Posts

[Post New]by Dev_V on Jan 2, 13 12:37 AM
Hi Pickles77!

Thanks for your kind words We'll definitely balance the HOS/puzzles ratio in our next game upon the feedback we're receiving now - so every opinion is of great use.
And whatever decision you make on purchasing the game - you're always welcome here to share your thoughts!

Dev_V
Starfish
Starfish
52 Posts

[Post New]by Dev_V on Jan 2, 13 12:56 AM
Hi Darla1108 !

The reset button is such a minor thing we can give to our players! In fact, the only reason we haven't included it in every puzzle is we hadn't received enough feedback during the tests We've implemented the reset function in the puzzles where you can get stuck during playing so there would be absolutely no way to complete it; for all the others we thought that it's not necessary as players have always a skip button in case they would get bored. We just missed the fact someone would like to reset the puzzle to complete it step by step according to strategy guide So thanks for your thoughts on that matter! That's an easy fix so we definitely can do this in our future projects.

Dev_V
Starfish
Starfish
52 Posts

[Post New]by Dev_V on Jan 2, 13 1:10 AM
Hi pattyjo!

Thanks for your appreciation! It's always a relief to hear all those months (actually, a year and a half ) of hard work were not spent in vain!
Speaking of other games: well, I've already told it takes us too long to complete the game as we are dull-beggars We just can't provide our players with the game that still feels raw on our side. That was the reason we've made a decision to expand our team nearly twice since the previous project. We all hope it'll help us to get more games to you during a year As of now, we have some other projects that are very different comparing to what we're doing now as they were released some time ago. So the only one I would recommend you is the previous installment of Nightmare Realm; if you haven't played it before I think you might like it. And we all are looking forward to 2013 - there is at least one project currently in production that is hopefully to be released late this summer

Go to: