mrssharon
Guppy
Guppy
192 Posts

Not Impressed Enough

[Post New]by mrssharon on Jan 3, 13 9:41 PM
Looks like I'm pretty much in the minority here. I wasn't very impressed with the game. Graphics were fine, HOS items not too difficult to find, but there was a lack of urgency. If the daughter is so ill, get a move on! I also found it rather odd that after the Stone Queen turned people to stone, which is pretty mean-spirited, you could revive them with a... flower?? Well, at least that's original. Not enough zip to this one, definitely not a CE purchase for me.

cbtx
Stingray
Stingray
5,030 Posts

Re:Reviews for Grim Tales: The Stone Queen Collector's Edition

[Post New]by cbtx on Jan 3, 13 9:51 PM
Since I'm so late posting, I'll keep this short.

I found this to be an excellent game from an excellent developer, Elephant Games.
-graphics are beautiful, and very sharp.
-story is entertaining.
-music is appropriate and unobtrusive.
-game play is perfect, with no problems at all.
-the interactive map is a big plus.
-like all Elephant games, the presentation is in widescreen.

I like the "Grim Tales" series very much----each story is independent and complete. There is a fresh take with each new game. Unlike, for example, an evil puppetmaster that shows up over and over. It's a buy for sure----4.5/5 stars on this one.

Edited on 01/03/2013 at 9:52:11 PM PST

Eoarod
Flounder
Flounder
2,391 Posts

[Post New]by Eoarod on Jan 3, 13 10:18 PM
I'm even later cbtx!

What I'll add; another great Elephant offering!

As for "CE" worthy...it's quite typical for this dev to have one CE with allll the bells and whistles - achievements, morphs, kitten galeries and then to have a lesser CE with "just" bonus play, wallpapers etc. I do wish they were all overflowing with goodies - but what this game has is typical for a CE by any other dev.

For now I consider their extra extras a cherry on the sundae; for now. The upside to only some being "more than" is we do get more CEs from them overall; downside we can be prone to dissapointment when their CEs are just "equal" to not "greater than"

CE or SE - give this one a go and decide if it's a "buy now" or an "I'll wait"!

Happy Gaming!

AndysRJ
Jellyfish
Jellyfish
12 Posts

[Post New]by AndysRJ on Jan 3, 13 10:40 PM
For the most part, the game was great! The graphics were fine (not as good as some of the other Grim Tales, IMO), story was good, the sounds were appropriate, and it did offer a challenge.

However, I have two words for Elephant.....Map Feature! This is my only real complaint about the game - if one has to spend so much time going back and forth (and through several screens to get from point A to point B ) there absolutly has to be a map feature! At one point, I was so frustrated with all the back and forth (many times for only one action) that I almost gave up. The only reason I didn't...it cost $13.99!! I didn't go ahead and play the bonus chapter and, sadly, I probably won't because I don't want to spend all my time clicking through screens.

If you don't mind the excessive clicking through screens, then this is the game for you!

banshee10
Clownfish
Clownfish
564 Posts

[Post New]by banshee10 on Jan 4, 13 3:21 AM
Most of the reviews don't seem enthusiastic so far. I agree. This one really doesn't feel like an Elephant game (one reviewer mentioned that its graphics and the lack of interesting features remind us of a certain other developERS work - that's what I felt to my dismay).
Mediocre. No bells and whistles at all.

BTW - I didn't care about the predecessors since werewolves simply bore me. Nevertheless I played every Grim Tales demo - weird, I know, but it felt like I owed this to Elephant because I love the majority of their games. I really tried to like The Stone Queen, hoping it would be more entertaining. No chance, unfortunately.

Maybe the SE, only on sale.

ETA: @ AndysRJ - the map is interactive. No backtracking necessary.

lym_1609
Parrotfish
Parrotfish
431 Posts

[Post New]by lym_1609 on Jan 4, 13 3:55 AM
4th in the series, just as fun, just as great. Great graphics, good voice over, beautiful scenery, scary storyline.

Special bundle deals and its worth it, I believe all the 4 series are CE

lym_1609
Parrotfish
Parrotfish
431 Posts

[Post New]by lym_1609 on Jan 4, 13 3:56 AM
banshee10 wrote:Most of the reviews don't seem enthusiastic so far. I agree. This one really doesn't feel like an Elephant game (one reviewer mentioned that its graphics and the lack of interesting features remind us of a certain other developERS work - that's what I felt to my dismay).
Mediocre. No bells and whistles at all.

BTW - I didn't care about the predecessors since werewolves simply bore me. Nevertheless I played every Grim Tales demo - weird, I know, but it felt like I owed this to Elephant because I love the majority of their games. I really tried to like The Stone Queen, hoping it would be more entertaining. No chance, unfortunately.

Maybe the SE, only on sale.

ETA: @ AndysRJ - the map is interactive. No backtracking necessary.

Ha....ha....LOL! I was so engrossed that AFTER 1 hour and still did not know there was a map! Christmas blitz indeed

[Post New]by WolfenRaindancer on Jan 4, 13 10:16 AM
I like this, think it is interesting and fun. Graphics are good, music is fitting, and the voices gave my grandson and me some good laughs. We played until we couldn't keep our eyes open and will finish it up today. He actually chose this one over Nutcracker...and I agree, Elephant always hits the spot with me!

CoolGrammy1
Minnow
Minnow
257 Posts

[Post New]by CoolGrammy1 on Jan 4, 13 1:07 PM
I enjoyed the game and will probably wait for the SE as I don't use the "bonus" items...ever and the Bonus game play is usually okay but nothing that is worth an extra $6.99.

BearKat
Stingray
Stingray
4,860 Posts

[Post New]by BearKat on Jan 5, 13 12:35 AM
cbtx wrote:Since I'm so late posting, I'll keep this short.

I found this to be an excellent game from an excellent developer, Elephant Games.
-graphics are beautiful, and very sharp.
-story is entertaining.
-music is appropriate and unobtrusive.
-game play is perfect, with no problems at all.
-the interactive map is a big plus.
-like all Elephant games, the presentation is in widescreen.

I like the "Grim Tales" series very much----each story is independent and complete. There is a fresh take with each new game. Unlike, for example, an evil puppetmaster that shows up over and over. It's a buy for sure----4.5/5 stars on this one.

cbtx has said all and very succinctly!
I will only add that with this week-end's sale, it is IMO a great buy!
As always give it a try and make up your own mind!
BK

shripch
Dogfish
Dogfish
1,952 Posts

[Post New]by shripch on Jan 5, 13 12:59 AM
To the developers; Please read my comments on the "welcome To Grim Tales: The Stone Queens Collector's Edition" thread.

I tried to put in words the way I am beginning to "feel" about the way game development has been going lately, that is, bring on the angry witch! No thought necessary, just bring on another game that looks like all the rest and that seems to involve some form of the angry witch. Enough said. Thank you.

schobey
Guppy
Guppy
158 Posts

[Post New]by schobey on Jan 5, 13 3:41 AM
Excellent game, kept me on my toes. Made me work. One of the best games I've played. Thank you Devs and . To me was well worth the money. Kudos

Valdy
Marlin
Marlin
9,383 Posts

[Post New]by Valdy on Jan 5, 13 10:18 AM
This was the most "boring = tiresome = running forth and back without stop" game I have played in a while. And it made it worse knowing this was a game by Elephant Games

If I didn't have the map I would have given up long ago. But even with the map, the constant going to this end and getting something, then going all the way back to that end to add it, and then repeat those steps over and over again, made it a very tiresome game.

Slight Spoiler Alert for Bonus game

Bonus game played pretty much in the same places I was before, with a few added areas. Unfortunately, the tiresome running forth and back continued here.

All I can say is, after playing "Nightmare Realm", this game was way below my expectations. If I had played this game a year or 2 ago, I would have probably said "wow, what a game". But not now. Not today.

But don't let that stop anyone to give this game a go. This is just how I felt about the game. Doesn't mean anyone else won't enjoy it.

[Post New]by Underthebridge on Jan 5, 13 3:04 PM
All I can say it that GRIM...it was...sorry

Cobweb55
Minnow
Minnow
256 Posts

[Post New]by Cobweb55 on Jan 5, 13 6:03 PM
I really must agree with everything Valdy posted.... this was the MOST tiresome game I have played in a very long time. Entirely too much needless travel back and forth. I bought this game without trialing it first, so I was hell bent to finish it, but must say that because my heart wasn't in it, and never did grab me, I wore the hint button out!!

I was so disappointed in this game!! By the time I finally finished it, I couldn't remember how it started or what my mission was. Such a pity!! I loved the first three Grim Tales, and will play future ones, but not before I try them.

I DO appreciate that the widescreen opened automatically, there were NO sparkles and the map jumped. Thanks Elephant Games for those blessings!!

pattyjo
Squid
Squid
69 Posts

[Post New]by pattyjo on Jan 6, 13 8:50 AM
Just a quick note on this game. I love puzzles but to much running here and there for small things, a button here a battery there is not fun and makes you feel like you are getting no place. The worst is getting a small - - say button after a big hunt and then when you place it you get another small something! A little of this goes a long way and don't make me hunt for a small thing and then when I find it and place it I get a HOG !! I don't want a bunch of HOG'S in the first place and to hunt and hunt and then win an HOG ??? No NO this is not a good idea. Hope this helps a little.Have me hunt for something big that will do something important or at least look important.
tks for listening

asccsa
Seahorse
Seahorse
31 Posts

[Post New]by asccsa on Jan 6, 13 3:54 PM
I am really disapointed by this CE. There is no logic in this game. We do not know the caracter we supposed to be. Am I the Queen Stone or the girl who need gaz ?
The story is so confused. I always follow the opinion of Valdy but for this game I go by myself. Wrong idea. I bought this game only for one reason, it's because I have to complete the Grim Tales Collection. Elephant devs can do more than a kid game. I give 1 star for the graphics but for the game forget it. Shame on you Elephant.

melrat
Jellyfish
Jellyfish
18 Posts

[Post New]by melrat on Jan 7, 13 6:17 PM
Bought it with out trying it as I have played all the others in this series. This stood up to that experience. Very enjoyable. One of those games you can sit back relax and take your time with. HOG parts were very easy but in a good way. The puzzles throughout the game made you think and kept you going.

Graphics were lovely as was the sounds (although I didn't really like the goblin like fellows, but you can just click through and not listen to them).

emmyjayne
Pufferfish
Pufferfish
1,375 Posts

[Post New]by emmyjayne on Jan 9, 13 11:58 AM
I love Elephant games and pretty much buy every CE from them. But I absolutely hate the arcade-type games like in this one where you have to shoot bad guys but protect the warlock until you reach the castle. Yuk yuk yuk. Other than that I love everything else.

bessiegirl
Clownfish
Clownfish
738 Posts

[Post New]by bessiegirl on Jan 10, 13 7:33 AM
Hate to be a "downer" on this game, but I wasn't impressed. Certainly would not buy this as a CE. Found the game extreamly SLOW, almost didn't make it through the demo. I found it "jagged" meaning the story seemed all over the place. Had to use the HINT to figure out what to do with Inventory items and where to go with them. I like games that move you along a little better. I also don't like hints that tell you everything to do I would rather have it do like other games and just point the way and let me figure it out on my own...this got annoying.

Maybe a purchase when the SE comes out, but a game has to grab me in the first hour....not make me feel like I can't wait until the demo is over so I can move on.

BF hasn't been coming out with very much since Christmas and I have credits burning a hole in my pocket....sure wish they would get on the stick. I actually downloaded this demo so I had something new to play, even for an hour.

Go to: