Re:Reviews for Newest Forum: Cursed Fates: The Headless Horseman Collector's Edition

[Post New]by NancySusan on Jan 6, 13 9:35 AM
I enjoyed the concept of this game and it played with no technical problems, although it has some wildly out of place and time anachronisms like phonographs (first invented in 1877) with a pressed record (early 20th century) and teddy bears (also extremely early 20th century -- they were named after Teddy Roosevelt). If you're going to set a game in 1799, then set it in 1799, don't be so ridiculously sloppy. By the end of the demo I was also in Chapter 2, so I think this game may move fairly quickly, and that is probably due to its straight-forward gameplay. I found nothing particularly difficult and the hint button works well outside of HOS's; I enjoyed searching for horseshoes, although the other achievements I got by the end of the demo were mostly fairly silly but sort of amusing. I didn't love the voiceovers, except for Constable Crane who wasn't bad at all, and the first dead person. And I did think some of the objects in the HOS's were hidden in absolute darkness, which I find aggravating - I'm in a room which has bright morning light and I have a small desk lamp which I can train so that some of the light falls on the screen, and I still couldn't find some of the objects without using the hint button. Just to see how it worked, I checked the SG, which has a separate chapter listing all the horseshoes, although only available after purchase. I will probably buy this game with the sale, but I wouldn't buy it at member's regular CE price, because I don't think it's really what we expect from CE's today. Nonetheless, I liked the game enough to get it on sale, and I'm sure a lot of fishies will enjoy it.

Edited on 01/06/2013 at 9:35:44 AM PST

shorenuf
Dolphin
Dolphin
7,281 Posts

Re:Reviews for Newest Forum: Cursed Fates: The Headless Horseman Collector's Edition

[Post New]by shorenuf on Jan 6, 13 9:40 AM
I would describe this as a comfortable game. It has everything we appreciate -- widescreen, achievements, collectibles (find them and buy yourself trophies), lovely artwork, voice overs, interactive HOs with lists and objects, appropriate music -- everything but much challenge.

Chapter 1 was extremely short, but others report there is more content as the game goes on. There is a CE bonus chapter, but otherwise the extras are standard fare -- screen saver, concept art, music. I doubt you will need the strategy guide.

The story -- As in the movie adaptation starring Johnny Depp, Constable Ichabod Crane is off to Sleepy Hollow to disprove the Legend. The story here should only develop as well as the movie -- I have my doubts…

The game play -- a revival of the "do something for me and I will help you out" character interaction drives the adventure. Puzzles were simple during the demo; some hidden objects are well camouflaged. Inventory items can be combined. Look for well hidden golden horseshoes throughout all scenes.

Overall, this game feels and even looks a bit like the Midnight Mystery games, but lacks the excitement or challenge those games present.

Joyfullady
Dolphin
Dolphin
7,498 Posts

[Post New]by Joyfullady on Jan 6, 13 9:58 AM
I agree with the deja vu - but the graphics are really nice and a lot of thought has gone into the game. The characters are very well done and the music is not overwhelming. The clicker and the click penalties were a bit maddening.

Definitely need a map as my shoes are worn out. Warning - in the first 15 minutes there were 3 pentagrams. No interactions with them though. Since I was almost through the second chapter and was unable to use SG and there are only 5 chapters it may be a very short game. I will wait to see what others say as to occult items and length of game. Sale SE if ok - not sure the CE would be worth it at $9.99 - maybe a member's half price sale.

indigobuni
Seahorse
Seahorse
30 Posts

[Post New]by indigobuni on Jan 6, 13 10:00 AM
This game is from the same devs who brought us Lost Souls: Enchanted Paintings. I've read the reviews and played a little myself. I'm still on the fence about CE vs SE. I might wait and see what kind of sale comes up with again that is for members.

Eoarod
Flounder
Flounder
2,391 Posts

[Post New]by Eoarod on Jan 6, 13 10:07 AM
When I saw "Headless Horseman" in the title my first thought was "Oh please, let this be a good game!" I love the Sleepy Hollow story! Mind it would have to be truly horrid for me to pass on it today - especially with a sale - but I do think it's a well done game!

Running well so far - always a good start!

Love the music, very nice graphics and a good storyline is rather a given with this one! Add in lots of CE bells and whistles and this is one you should check out for yourself!

I'm intrugued by trophies and achievements - though you can't look ahead to see what needs doing to get the achievements! I'll assume it's the usual - no hints etc and we'll see how I do!

I'm off to buy - hopefully this is a game you will enjoy too!

Happy Gaming!

[Post New]by daisyduck352 on Jan 6, 13 1:19 PM
Don't know what to make of this CE? I don't know if it's one I played before or just an old game. I have read the book Headless Horseman, so maybe that's it. I haven't finished it but so far it's and ok game. Voice overs ok and hints reload fast. Don't have a map and wish it did. I guess we get spoiled and then want what we don't have. Graphics seem ok and so far no problems with the HOG's. Puzzles you can skip after a bit. It does deserve at least 3 stars out of 5 so here they are. Played the rest and kinda like it now.. It's a good HOG and has something a little different for us to enjoy.. Might even give it another star..

Edited on 01/08/2013 at 8:52:02 AM PST

mrssharon
Guppy
Guppy
192 Posts

Not a CE Quality Game

[Post New]by mrssharon on Jan 6, 13 2:28 PM
The graphics are good and the music fits, but there are issues.

I generally try the demo in the casual mode, but even then I expect some challenge.
The puzzles were way too easy.

Everything you need to do is either sparkled or has the outline highlighted. Takes a lot of the guesswork out of it. There were only 2 game modes to play.

And my biggest peeve is present in this game, too. Gramophones and vinyl records? Please keep the items in the game true to the period of the game, devs.

This is a pass for me.

Edited to change a bit of the wording.

Edited on 03/19/2013 at 8:10:58 AM PST

Grimhild
Starfish
Starfish
43 Posts

[Post New]by Grimhild on Jan 6, 13 3:33 PM
A no-buy for me: graphics too murky (although they did do a nice job on the fires, which is probably why there's a fire in every other scene); too much running back and forth, which irritates me; some things very poorly drawn, for instance, the horses hitched to the carriage in the first game scene; puzzles are too easy; after a few minutes, I found the music irritating.

Storyline and characters are an undisguised rip-off of Tim Burton's film Sleepy Hollow, which has me wondering if Burton or Paramount Pictures are going to sue the developer. Story is not at all like Washington Irving's original tale.

I almost purchased the game based upon the reviews here, but I'm glad I decided to play the free hour first and saved myself some money. And the "free hour" was only 43 minutes for me, so it's a demo, which left me feeling like Tim Burton isn't the only person being ripped-off by the developers.

ladygem6
Herring
Herring
391 Posts

[Post New]by ladygem6 on Jan 6, 13 5:39 PM
I think the Constable looks exactly like Johnny Depp. And there is some resembence of Martin Landau in Peter van Garrett. After reading the reivews, I was ready to purchase the game anyway as I can hardly resist CE's. Especially spooky ones. Once I began playing, it was so interesting and well done, graphics and everything, I quit to buy.

Thank Goodness I have a little money left over from Christmas!
Happy Gaming all! And I hope all of you have a great 2013!

[Post New]by WolfenRaindancer on Jan 6, 13 6:11 PM
I did the beta of this one a while back, and was not thrilled with it...thank you to the devs that sent me a free copy of the full game! The changes that they made have been good, and I really enjoyed the game today. It is quite long, and even though some of the puzzles are really simple, I still had fun with it. Seems like they improved the graphics and the music and voiceovers work very well. I was not bored with it today, lol.

mar39
Guppy
Guppy
197 Posts

[Post New]by mar39 on Jan 6, 13 7:58 PM
Liked the demo but not sure I will buy as a CE. As already said, it's totally based on the Tim Burton/Johnny Depp movie Sleepy Hollow which is one of my favorites. Character looks like Depp and there is even "young Masbeth" in the game. Makes me wonder how the developers got away with this (?). I wish is were an SE as I have a free game coming, but may just buy it anyway as I'm enjoying it so far.

lovemybook
Guppy
Guppy
165 Posts

[Post New]by lovemybook on Jan 6, 13 10:01 PM
Beautiful game, but it has the one thing I hate more than anything else - clicking penalties. I like to click around (how else can you figure out certain puzzles) and the clicking penalties absolutely will destroy my enjoyment of a game, just like sparkles or sidebars make others crazy. It's totally irritating to be trying to figure out, for instance how to put something together in a HO scene and every third click you cursor evaporates and it tells you to stop guessing. Well how else do you find an undescribed hidden object then?

Was going to pick it up, but I think I'll wait and pick this one up on the cheap. Beautiful game otherwise, but the penalty is really a killer for me.

shripch
Dogfish
Dogfish
1,952 Posts

[Post New]by shripch on Jan 7, 13 12:30 AM
Despite it's gruesome story, this is a pleasant HOS game, with easy puzzles, soft background music and good graphics. And no angry witches! It certainly does't take after the Depp version of the Legend of Sleepy Hollow, in that it's a much more casual trip for those of us who decide to visit that poor beleaguered town. All the elements are still there, but the visit is more subdued. I'm enjoying this game very much, and it does seem to have replay value.

shripch
Dogfish
Dogfish
1,952 Posts

[Post New]by shripch on Jan 7, 13 12:35 AM

Edited on 01/08/2013 at 1:42:43 AM PST

shagwendy
Stingray
Stingray
4,926 Posts

[Post New]by shagwendy on Jan 7, 13 3:57 AM
I've only played the first chapter so far. Everything is a little too easy, though that is to be expected at the beginning of any game. One thing I do really like about it, is that when you run your cursor over a hotspot, the entire hotspot is outlined. I hate clicking widely separated areas on my screen only to find out the cursor is indicating the same hotspot.
I love to read the diary/journals in these games, but this one is strange. It tells you things that aren't on the screen at all.
I only buy BOGO CEs, so I will wait for that or the SE, depending on the reviews of the bonus material.

belamba
Angelfish
Angelfish
1,058 Posts

[Post New]by belamba on Jan 7, 13 7:01 AM
Didn't like first half of trial, but then it warmed up. So as there was a sale bought it (wouldn't have done from trial if not half price), and later regretted decision.
If I want non-stop boring HOG scenes, there are plenty of low grade non CE games to match this request.
Felt it was from 'old school' HOG/adventure games.
Liked music, and graphics were ok. Storyline's always silly, so not an issue.

My main gripe was this; way way too many HOG scenes! On top of this they weren't interactive (well two items in different colours that just involved a finger appearing to find said item). When any game devs have fuzzy half light HO scenes, hiding tiny items behind other items, and then take your cursor away for over clicking, I find it hugely annoying!
I pay for the game, I should be able to 'click' on anything I like! It doesn't add to the game, quite the reverse! Having to wait over and again for hint to refill, as can't be bothered (nor am I interested) in looking for virtually non existent items is frankly, laborious,

They also added in things that looked similar to what you're looking for. HO scenes varied between boring junk pile and boring finding pictured items.

The level of challenge and linear game play was excellent. Feel it was a lazy way out of making game more interesting by adding a zillion dull and uninteresting HO scenes.

5 years ago would have loved this game, but today's standards and super duper devs out there, this game fell short.
Had I paid full price, would have requested a refund!

Edited to say that also there are golden horseshoes to collect in each scene...pointless exercise! Waste of time and of no interest to collect trophies at end of the game. Bonus chapter was ok, but got even more monotonous HO scenes.

Edited on 01/07/2013 at 7:18:14 AM PST

soblessed57
Manatee
Manatee
3,780 Posts

[Post New]by soblessed57 on Jan 7, 13 7:29 AM
I bought the CE which is only the second one with Delicious Emily's: Childhood Memories[purchased elsewhere] that I have ever bought. I'm not really sorry that I bought this one,since it had that sale price,but I am somewhat dissapointed in the game. Mystery Legends: Sleepy Hollow is one of my favorite games,and replayed often. Must admit that the Hessian's deep sexy voice has a lot to do with that,LOL! But it also has some great mini-games.

Last year there was a thread saying that there was going to be a sequel coming out,and I was hoping/expecting that this was it,but it is nothing at all like the Mystery Legends one,and no voice for the Hessian at all.

Plus this game is incredibly simple,but is pretty interesting.I am playing chapter 5 now,and hoping the ending will be satisfactory.

Edited on 01/07/2013 at 7:30:19 AM PST

Foxy57
Squid
Squid
74 Posts

[Post New]by Foxy57 on Jan 7, 13 9:55 AM
Can't say I particularly enjoyed that game. The graphics are outdated, there is no map and I seem to be always looking for a d... key. I know, I know, in HOPA you often look for a key, but it has to diversify and give you some puzzles as well.

Anyway, desinstalled before the end. Not worth a CE or SE as far as I am concerned..

Edited on 01/07/2013 at 9:56:28 AM PST

CoolGrammy1
Minnow
Minnow
257 Posts

[Post New]by CoolGrammy1 on Jan 7, 13 11:15 AM
A gigantic thumb's down for this one....It has my biggest pet peeve....the graphics are too dark! Just because a storyline is dark the graphics don't have to be..... In the first HO scene I had to use the hint for every other item and that continued on. I reached Chapter Two and after I entered the Tavern....no more SG available. I won't even buy this as a SE...not even with a sale. This will be added to my thumb's down list of games to never ever purchase.

soblessed57
Manatee
Manatee
3,780 Posts

[Post New]by soblessed57 on Jan 7, 13 11:22 PM
Just finished this and IMO the bonus game didn't add a thing to it,so in the future I will stick to avoiding CEs. My overall impression of this game is just EH, I like Mystery Legends: Sleepy Hollow, much better in every way.

Go to: