Re:Reviews for Dark Tales: Edgar Allan Poe's The Gold Bug Collector's Edition

[Post New]by biscuitsmama on Jan 10, 13 9:23 AM
Don't know why I can't resist a CE. I am trying but broke my resolution after reading the first reviews. I happen to like ERS games, mostly because they are logical and I don't have to look at the SG or constantly hit the "hint" button to find out what to do next.

IMHO, no developer does animals as well as ERS and they had me the moment I saw the newfie.

Just a small comment on the WS aspect. I have never had an issue with any ERS game filling my screen automatically. I recently purchase a new computer with a NVIDIA graphics card and experienced my first non- auto widescreen ERS game. After I went to the graphics properties and ticked that button to maintain display ratio, I have never had another issue. All of the games fit my WS perfectly. So maybe if you have issues and check your graphics properties, it might help.

MissMoraduke
Guppy
Guppy
198 Posts

[Post New]by MissMoraduke on Jan 10, 13 9:39 AM
I am ready to throw this game in the trash, not only does the wide screen not work for me on my 17 in widescreen Hp, they think they can hide it with the bunch of stuff in the back ground that clutters up the whole picture and it is so distracting. I dont know how people are getting wide screen, I told my self I am never buying a game that isnt widescreen anymore, if the DEV cant make the game in WS, they wont get my money, ever, not even when its not CE. I dont know how to check on graphics but I will look into it, thanks biscuitsmama for suggesting that, but if not its a delete for me, and I wanted the game so bad. DEV I hope you are reading this, or maybe you dont care

MissMoraduke
Guppy
Guppy
198 Posts

[Post New]by MissMoraduke on Jan 10, 13 9:48 AM
MY Maintain Graphic Ratio is checked already.

MissMoraduke
Guppy
Guppy
198 Posts

[Post New]by MissMoraduke on Jan 10, 13 9:59 AM
When I uncheck and just leave it on Widescreen, the clutter back ground goes away, and there are 2 inch black bars on each side, the clutter back ground goes away, they are trying to trick us by saying its wide screen with the clutter in the back ground, I am so mad I cant play the game, oh well I guess there are more things in life but a game, sorry for complaining.

dancemom1
Angelfish
Angelfish
1,198 Posts

[Post New]by dancemom1 on Jan 10, 13 10:03 AM
I really liked the first 3 games in this series, but not too sure about this one. Very disappointed in the graphics...fuzzy. Game play was nice. HOGs are cluttered and some items extremely small and difficult to see. Games are very simple. Nice SG (although the print is sometimes hard to read), nice voice overs, music okay.

The "bad guy" in the mask did not scare me at all. His voice was whimpy. So what are you afraid of? I am a huge fan of EAP and this story just doesn't have the umph that it should. This game was not challenging to me and did not keep my interest, nor make me want to continue to see what happens.

This would be a nice game for a beginner, or someone who just wants to skate by in a game. I don't see that it is CE worthy, especially since it only shows 2 chapters. Not up to ERS standards by any means. I guess, when you are at the top, you can let things slide, but it doesn't take long to slide to the bottom. Come on guys, lets get back to those great games you were putting out. There aren't many games I just plain don't care for, but the only way I would buy this one is if there was a really hot special going on, but even then I would have to think twice about it.

As always, try it for yourself and see what you think. We all have different tastes in games and you may find it quite enjoyable. Thanks for the reviews.

bella81762
Orca Whale
Orca Whale
24,424 Posts

[Post New]by bella81762 on Jan 10, 13 10:07 AM
shagwendy wrote:
belamba wrote:I played the trial hour to the end. Although not even near the best CEs ever, I liked the fact there were no junk pile HOGs. The HOGs that were there instead were quite good fun.
Bought on this fact alone as I so enjoy 'CE Thursday'.
Having bought it there was one junk pile scene after another after another...
The music started to get on my nerves, the constant hand holding (even playing advanced mode there were sparkles in the HOGs to show you the two barely interactive items!)
The graphics were excellent, and that's about it.
Got the feeling the devs started off with enthusiasm making different type HO scenes and then found it easier to fill the game with boring junk pile scenes.
When entering a room there was very little to do, and each new location was quickly completed.

I enjoyed the other games in this series, but this one is truly dire.
The trial hour was not indicative of the whole game; I'd never have bought it if I'd known what was to come.
What makes this a CE? More boring than some of the worst SE HOGs of yester year.
This game turned from adventure/iHOG to dull and one big yawn!

Coloring mine.
I agree with you, especially the parts I colored. I hate constant HO scenes, I hate sparkles in them, and I hate rooms without much to do in them. I also don't want to buy games without a jump map anymore. I hate it when ERS gives you one of the new type HO scenes in the demo and then goes to junkpile after that. Thanks for the quick review on what the game is like after the demo and saving me some money, Belamba!

me too,,its like they draw you in with something new and exciting, then just throw the same old boring ers stuff at you......why is it so hard to keep the whole game a mix of different hog scenes

marg6043
Clownfish
Clownfish
582 Posts

[Post New]by marg6043 on Jan 10, 13 10:12 AM
I am in love with the main character, he is beautiful, love this games, love the series and cannot get tired of getting more of them.

As usual the graphic quality are breathtaking and the plot is as interesting as the other ones.

I have to admit I played The black cat 3 times. Keep them coming as long as they are beautiful, interesting and breathtaking.

This one is a buy for me. What can I say I am a big fan of ERS in my eyes they have not faults so far.

[Post New]by leonamcboner on Jan 10, 13 11:35 AM
Hi. Any idea of length of this game? I do like ERS games a lot but lately I have bought ERS CE's in a hurry and have been very disappointed with how long it's taken me to get through it (unlike Elephant Games which are all brilliant up to now!). Would rather use a free coupon for the SE if it's a short one.

Qismet
Minnow
Minnow
206 Posts

[Post New]by Qismet on Jan 10, 13 12:03 PM
Looks like a fun game to me. I enjoyed the demo. I like a game that is fun to play. That is the whole point of playing them. So If it is a bit easy in spots or if the puzzles are actually workable for the average non MIT graduate, that is fine with me. Another plus is this is the type of game that I can also play with my granddaughter and have a great time with.

Will wait for the SE version, but this will be a yes for me.

sunnyglow
Clownfish
Clownfish
804 Posts

[Post New]by sunnyglow on Jan 10, 13 12:42 PM
Another great game from the gamERS. Today is my lucky day I guess. I am ecstatic this game has come out. I love this series. One of my favorite authors is Poe and this game is a continuation in this series of Dark Parables. I love the Newfoundland pups. They are a beautiful but rather large dog and the puppy is adorable. And so is Dupin. Quite a dashing character for the game. Loving this game. I am gong to purchase. This game may not be for everyone, but it is a winner for me. I really like the puzzles which require several different moves to unlock an inventory item. This dev is always on the cutting edge of new strategies for games. Cannot say anything negative about the game. Great puzzles and graphics. However, not a big fan of French courtier music. I do think that music is going to drive me up the wall. Other than that, thanks, gamERS.

[Post New]by daisyduck352 on Jan 10, 13 1:16 PM
ERS you did it again. I enjoyed playing all the Dark Tales but think this one will be a classic. The graphics are great, puzzles and HOG's too. The hints reload fast and like the dog. Lots of new and different things you can expect when you play this game. Give this a 5 out of 5 stars..

Valdy
Marlin
Marlin
9,383 Posts

[Post New]by Valdy on Jan 10, 13 2:24 PM
I have just finished the game. I own the first 3 games as well, and loved them all.

I very much enjoyed this game as well. And to those gamers who are quick to complain that they only get the one good HOS in the demo: there are more to follow, so don't be too rush to judge.

I didn't think that the other HOS with lists were junk piles. Yes, there were many objects in them, but the scenes were far from junk piles.

I wouldn't call this fourth instalment one of the "Dark Tales". Yes, it had M. Dupin in it, but there the "dark" part ends. This game is more on the "light" side.

I kept the dog in the bonus game. The main game finishes satisfactory, but the bonus game gives us a little extra, which was nice, but it was nothing outstanding.

linda43416
Guppy
Guppy
143 Posts

[Post New]by linda43416 on Jan 10, 13 2:34 PM
Just have a quick remark, this is like the others in the series, that is why so many of us like them! Some of these games just get too weirded out trying to be different. I liked the game so far, only played demo, and it held my interest, made me smile, and i like it. Will buy and play very soon. These are the kind of games that we are comfortable with. Said quick, could ramble on but I have many games to play and so little time. thanks fishes for all your reviews I depend on them always when buying games.

mhatfie
Pufferfish
Pufferfish
1,447 Posts

[Post New]by mhatfie on Jan 10, 13 3:43 PM

Edited on 01/11/2013 at 2:58:09 AM PST

shripch
Dogfish
Dogfish
1,952 Posts

[Post New]by shripch on Jan 10, 13 4:18 PM
After finishing the trial period I'm off to buy! Very nice game with just the right blend of very interesting and well crafted puzzles, adventure, and interactive HOS.

I've stopped wasting my money on games that don't satisfy, and "satisfy" in my world means a complex interaction of story (very important!), with interesting characters, fun puzzles that make me slow down just a bit (I'm not an engineer!), graphics, sound effects, a few well constructed HOS that also make me slow down just a bit, and enough to do that I know it will take a few days of coming back to do a little more, just like a good novel. This game has all of those elements, and I think the people who get to make their living creating great games like this are some of the smartest and luckiest people around!

shripch
Dogfish
Dogfish
1,952 Posts

[Post New]by shripch on Jan 10, 13 4:23 PM
I wanted to add a PS. The reviews on this game are all over the place, which doesn't mean the developers have failed, just that we all have different tastes. I love Thai food, but my husband can't stand it.
When the reviews are this mixed, just download the trial and see what YOU think!
For me, this is Thai food! Spicy and sweet, all at the same time.

megwoman25
Clownfish
Clownfish
742 Posts

[Post New]by megwoman25 on Jan 10, 13 5:07 PM
I am completely disappointed with this offering! I LOVE this series and own all the rest but this one isn't even on the same level as the others AND compared to what Ive seen ERS do in their last couple games, this one is a HUGE step backward. Mac users get a full hour to play, not a sample version SO I made it into chapter 3 with the doctor house being on fire and some other things going on AND with the exception of the first couple puzzles which drew me in and then that awesome hidden object silhouette puzzle, it goes back to list hidden object scenes. In fact, it goes from back to back to back list hidden object scenes in the same scenes that you just did. Like for instance, I played a list hidden object scene which are total junkpiles btw. I don't know how anyone could say they aren't. The objects are small, hard to find and I had to squint and I don't even have bad vision not to mention its a junk fest of clutter. I had to find 4 bees in each hidden object scene even the same bee I had found previously.

Anyway, played a hidden object scene, then did a task in the same room for dupin and then the sparkles were back over the hidden object scene I had just done~! then I go to the next room and the sparkles are back on another one with the same list scene. I was playing the hardest mode too so why are sparkles even there? And I was almost halfway through on the hard mode! Some ERS games blow my mind like this reality show one. I couldn't believe it was from ERS, I loved it so much, I can't wait for the SE but this is garbage! Its so sad to see what this developer can do and then to see it go backwards constantly. I did have widescreen on my mac but it doesn't make up for the lack of imagination that went into this game.

WOOHOO I MORPHED!!! No more ugly puke green fish!!! YAYAY

Edited on 01/10/2013 at 5:10:58 PM PST

[Post New]by Old_Man_River on Jan 10, 13 5:30 PM
Typical ERS game. Great Graphics, Great music, and great game play. The graphics are razor sharp on my monitor, Game is running with no problems what - So - Ever.
Love the puppy and momma, but momma is drawn too small to scale. A newfie is a big dog, and a big baby. Hopefully it will wind up as my background. Love the scene with mother and daughter (Son? ) in the dog house

tj1147
Clownfish
Clownfish
654 Posts

[Post New]by tj1147 on Jan 10, 13 6:16 PM
Review after playing most of demo:

This is a really nice game! The graphics are bright and beautiful! The voices are "OK" as I listened only enough to hear them a time or two - I don't normally use the speakers in the games. The HO scenes have been quite good...not at all "junky" but some items are a bit small..still, no need for hint if I just looked a bit. I do like the interactivity in the scenes too! Puzzles haven't been difficult thus far. The story moves right along although a bit too much dialog for my liking but can click through it as soon as it is read. I like being able to click "outside the box" instead of having to click a little "x" to close it. I don't have any idea about the SG because I didn't look at it.

I had no problems with download and no technical difficulties or "glitches" at all. Smooth movement of cursor and of going from scene to scene with no lag at all. Considering problems I've had with some games recently, those points alone are nearly worth buying the game!

Overall, I do enjoy this game. My only hesitation is the length of the main portion. As the game moves along so quickly I'm not sure how long it would be and I like to have at least 4-5 hours of the main game. I am thinking about this one, but really really tempted to go ahead and buy it!

Oh yes....I love love the Newfoundland!!!!

letsdoit
Shark
Shark
10,483 Posts

[Post New]by letsdoit on Jan 10, 13 6:49 PM
OMGosh!...reviews are quite interesting to read and all are 'great'!

I would write but all of the 'good' stuff has been said...I now await my little happy fingers to hit the 'buy' button!...furrrrr suuurrr!

D/L went quickly...played the complete demo....had my wee bit of "AWWWWW"... with the 'eye candy'...well never mind...gotta go...

thx...Dev;s and BFG!

Lets...

Go to: