shorenuf
Dolphin
Dolphin
7,281 Posts

Re:Reviews for Dark Canvas: A Brush With Death Collector's Edition

[Post New]by shorenuf on Jan 17, 13 6:03 PM
This dev has put out some good games -- at first glance I was ready to say this could be one of them. Then the directions for the first puzzle were wrong, SPOILER: "Place items so no shapes or colors touch horizontally, vertically or diagonally" -- impossible and allowed to be solved breaking those rules..

Three modes of play:
1, "Sparkles and hints recharge quickly" (Yes, it says sparkles)
2. "Sparkles and hints recharge recharge slowly"
3. "No help at all"

I chose 3, and although the hint button does not work, the black bar info is abundant, describing exactly what you need to complete the task.

Nice artwork and animations. Music is appropriate, not jarring. Widescreen. Voice overs -- those are all good things.

HO scenes are minimally interactive. Some items are well hidden.

Puzzles -- The second puzzle had familiar mechanics and was not as difficult as it could have been.

Tasks -- pretty easy to come across inventory items to complete same. Again. black bar info leads the way. Your character still seems to have an issue with short terrm memory. SPOILER: (You see someone inside a gallery window. Once inside you see someone's shadow and say to yourself "…I thought the gallery was empty.")

Diary, no map.

The story -- nothing new, but with a bit of a twist. Hopefully the obvious answer to that twist is not correct. Your daughter wrote you to come to an Italian island where she senses strange things are going on. Now she has gone missing. You arrive; it is raining.

There are achievements, special items to collect to open free HO play, free puzzle play, music and art gallery.

Four chapters and a Bonus Chapter.

There are too many inconsistencies to overlook. Your daughter is an art student. Perhaps the most clever thing about this game is the title.

BearKat
Stingray
Stingray
4,860 Posts

[Post New]by BearKat on Jan 17, 13 6:21 PM
After I play the demo the first thing I decide is: did I like the game and do I want to finish it!

The answer for this game is YES!

The graphics, IMO, are great, they fill my 23" HDWS beautifully.

The HOs are fun and I've had no problems finding the objects.

No map is not a problem, for me, with this game as it can sometimes be.

The gameplay is smooth.

I find the storyline interesting and I really like the music!

The wallpapers are locked up until I finish the main game???? WHY???
If seems it should make little difference to YOU and it does make a difference to me, other Devs have shown you can make them available if you want to.
WHY do you not want to?

Since that is my only complaint about the game, It Is A Buy For Me!

As always, try it and make up your own mind!

BK

sunnyglow
Clownfish
Clownfish
804 Posts

[Post New]by sunnyglow on Jan 17, 13 7:37 PM
A lot of naysayers here. However, I like this game from the Vast Unknown devs. You really need to play this game to decide if you like it or not. Usually I am the Debbie Downer when it comes to games on this site. However, I give this dev a thumbs up. Like the puzzles. However, I too hate sparkles and I don't want to play the hard mode because if I get stuck in a puzzle, I will have to start all over again. A good job by the devs. And, I like this game much better than those they have done in the past. To me they have upped their game.

shripch
Dogfish
Dogfish
1,952 Posts

[Post New]by shripch on Jan 17, 13 7:50 PM
Again, a CE that's not worth CE price! I have a whole BUNCH of free credits and I'm going to wait for the SE on this game and use a free credit.

KCErin
Guppy
Guppy
147 Posts

[Post New]by KCErin on Jan 17, 13 9:54 PM
I have to weigh in with those on the positive side. As was stated before, the story is intriguing - more mystery than dark nasty things. I think the voice overs are well done and the music is lovely. I've played a couple of hours and am only at the start of Chapter 2 of 4 chapters plus a bonus chapter.

The HOS are interactive and vary between word lists and shadow forms.

There is a bonus punch (for a couple more hours anyway) that makes it sort of a discount.

As always - do give the demo a try to make up your own mind.

CoolGrammy1
Minnow
Minnow
257 Posts

[Post New]by CoolGrammy1 on Jan 18, 13 12:23 PM
Well I was not blown away by the game. The puzzles were good, the graphics though a bit dark were good, the storyline....another hooded figure...really??? I wouldn't buy the CE and as for the SE, maybe with a coupon or on a sale.....wasn't that excited by the game and I bought a lot in December's holiday sales that were so superior that so far I haven't seen a MUST HAVE game jump out lately. I really only need 3 more credits for a coupon this month...but this isn't going to be the one....

lym_1609
Parrotfish
Parrotfish
431 Posts

[Post New]by lym_1609 on Jan 18, 13 1:32 PM
LOVE it, great graphics, more puzzle adventure than HOS, remember encounter only 2 HOS in the 1hr trial. HOS adopted the newest technique of hidden objects within HOS, eg, u must open a drawer to find something etc.
Great storyline too!
Mini puzzles are easy and navigation has been kept minimal of going backwards forwards.

GRIPS: No interactive map, but since navigation is quite linear with some backwards forwards, its not a big deal

RECOMMENDED

[Post New]by sltwillow85 on Jan 20, 13 4:47 AM
Nothing great...

NiceZombie
Guppy
Guppy
165 Posts

[Post New]by NiceZombie on Jan 22, 13 6:14 AM
Just finished the main part and started the bonus chapter, but I just wanted to write that I REALLY LOVED this one!!

The gorgeous location, Italian island town, was really pretty . Even though it rained most of the time.
I loved the characters and the story; it felt like a mystery thriller. And there was nothing supernatural about it in the end, which was good for a change! The graphics were really nice.

I loved the suspense music, very good atmosphere, and the fact that the music changed when something was happening.

Really fun HO scenes, there were quite a few of those very interactive silhouette ones, my favorite !! And very fun puzzles/minigames, not too hard and not too easy.

Now to finish the bonus and see all the extras and achievements - a brilliant casual adventure! Oh almost forgot, love the sneak peek of their next game, can't wait, looks beautiful!

emmyjayne
Pufferfish
Pufferfish
1,375 Posts

[Post New]by emmyjayne on Jan 26, 13 12:40 PM
I liked this game a lot. The storyline was intriguing and the artwork was lovely. The mini-games were really nothing we haven't seen before but there were some very cleverly hidden items in the HOS games. The music was fine but (as is the case with most of these games) I became very tired of listening to the same tracks over and over again. It was also annoying to have to wait for an item to be put into the inventory before my cursor was released so I could do another action. But overall I'm definitely glad I purchased this CE. This game developer is really good and has all the potential to become great.

Mickeycb
Minnow
Minnow
221 Posts

[Post New]by Mickeycb on Jan 31, 13 9:35 PM
First of all, I liked the idea of being on a island ( in my mind, that meant not a lot of running around ). I actually did not mind the big chunky cursor, and compared to others, which I won't mention, I did not find it "ugly" at all. This was more of a leisure game for me. I was not smacked with any sense of urgency to hurry up and find "my daughter". If anything I would have smacked her upside the head in the end and wondered what a grown woman was doing there?? But that's just me. I did like the game, but when you only have a handful of characters on this island, you already know from the get go who is doing what. No thumping of the head to figure this one out at all. Puzzles were easy. HOS if anything were a little confusing only because some of the objects listed did not match with the object found. When I think of a dagger, I think of a small hand knife, not a big ol' sword, so that was a little off for me. I think the concept could have been pulled off much better than it actually was in this game. I don't know it just did not have the wow factor going for me.

[Post New]by feenix2011 on Feb 18, 13 6:33 PM
Judging by the dates of the reviews, I'm way behind here on my playing time!! I agree with the reviews that said, not great, not bad, certainly not the worst game, but not the best. It was interesting enough, not bad graphics, wish there was a map (soooo helpful in a game - got spoiled, I guess!) and storyline O.K., but rescuing someone; person in a cape or mask; finding keys; opening trunks; doors without handles, blah, blah, blah, blah!!! I don't know exactly what would be new and different, but something, PLEASE!! I'm no artist, so I certainly do appreciate what these and all Devs do, but as a gamer, I would like to be surprised. And also, as a gamer, I will continue to peruse whatever games are out there - perhaps to be pleasantly surprised??

feenix

lisablue4369
Flounder
Flounder
2,105 Posts

[Post New]by lisablue4369 on Apr 24, 13 9:13 AM
this game seems to be a little older than it is------- . but we still enjoyed playing it,--------------- . they only get better.................... doug & lisa=======

Go to: