Edited on 01/21/2013 at 4:23:08 AM PST

steve_san
Clownfish
Clownfish
586 Posts

Re:Reviews for Death Pages: Ghost Library Collector's Edition

[Post New]by steve_san on Jan 20, 13 6:09 PM
Pros:
1. The game played without any problems until the end of the trial.
2. There is widescreen, at least for me in Windows.
3. Drawings and artwork are clear and colorful.
4. There is no "man in a dark hood" that we've seen far too many times.

Cons:
1. One of the absolutely dumbest storie lines I have ever seen (even for these games). The villian is a man with a jester puppet. He's just too silly looking to be scary. Unless you have a jesterphobia (?)
2. You have to click an extra time to turn keys.
3. The player is afraid to touch a pile of leaves!
4. Although the artwork is nice, there is no distinct style to the game. Parts of the game take place inside a book or play, but these parts have the same look and feel as the rest of the game.
5. For me, in the trial there were just far too many things going on at once. I don't like games where i have to write things down to remember what goes where.

I'd give this 2-1/2 stars out of 5. Not worth the CE price to me, but then I hardly ever buy CE'$ anyway.
1/2

[Post New]by LaraGts on Jan 20, 13 11:42 PM
Amazing! This is one of my favorite games.
I am going to buy this game.

angelfish106
Pufferfish
Pufferfish
1,378 Posts

[Post New]by angelfish106 on Jan 21, 13 12:36 AM

Edited on 01/21/2013 at 4:29:18 AM PST

laraly
Parrotfish
Parrotfish
428 Posts

[Post New]by laraly on Jan 21, 13 4:23 AM
I played the demo and found out this game, so far, awsome! I love the art concept, the minigames and the story, the graphics are stunning, so the voiceover, I like the idea of the library from which throught a book's page you can enter a totally different enviroment and time! The 1st chapter seems quite long, and there are 4 + bonus chapter, all right, the theme is not a novelty, but it works fine for the means to save and rescue souls! I like the ratio in the options, where you can change the brightness of the screen, making everything more visible and clear! Definetly a buy for me as C E, striking work dvlps, thanks!

lym_1609
Parrotfish
Parrotfish
431 Posts

[Post New]by lym_1609 on Jan 21, 13 5:02 AM
great graphics, good voice over, a bit scary esp when the clown jumps out at you! good storyline, and interactive map with indicative text help of whats outstanding.

More puzzles, mini adventures than HO, lots of inventory usage.

BUY

thistle809
Angelfish
Angelfish
1,207 Posts

[Post New]by thistle809 on Jan 21, 13 8:05 AM
I was fortunate enough to have beta tested this a while back and I loved it. I have played the demo (to see if any noticeable changes were made) and, if possible, love it even more! I played in Casual mode.The graphics are crystal clear with rich, vibrant colors; the voice acting is really good; the map is one of the best I have seen (separate pages for the library area, which is present time and the Verona area - for when you step through the portal) which shows not only the locations, but the tasks to be performed - and it is interactive (click on a location to go there). The hint system tells you precisely what and where to do the necessary action. If you lose track of where to use something that you have in your inventory, click the hint and it will refresh your memory! There is a Task book in the center bottom of the screen which shows not only your current tasks, but which ones you have completed. The story is very intriguing and you become completely immersed very quickly. The devs used their imaginations to show how an "evil meanie" could use even gorgeous classic literature to misuse magical power. The mini-games are quite imaginative and just challenging enough to "agitate the little gray cells most adequately" without causing undue frustration. The SG shows four chapters plus a bonus chapter. This is going to be a purchase for me.

Edited on 01/21/2013 at 8:06:00 AM PST

jcsgame
Pufferfish
Pufferfish
1,392 Posts

[Post New]by jcsgame on Jan 21, 13 5:14 PM
This is a smooth running game with a good story that includes beautiful artwork and clear graphics.

HO scenes are "place" items, not find items; a nice change of pace.

Strategy Guide stays open where you leave it, even when you exit and return.

Transport map and Task Lists are available to aid you in your discovery.

No collectibles, Achievements or Morphing Objects, but still a great game.

The Bonus Game adds another "book" segment to the game. You now have the capability to jump between 2 books and the "live" location.

I thoroughly enjoyed the game that Elephant Games created. Wall Papers are not necessary for me; don't use them. I do wish there were some objects to collect along the way, or some Morphing Objects to find; just adds to the game.

I purchased the CE and I'm glad that I did.

celticwolf55
Guppy
Guppy
122 Posts

[Post New]by celticwolf55 on Jan 24, 13 12:49 PM
I liked this game, in spite of what others have said about the extras missing. It is a nicely done game, the puzzles were different and relatively easy. It does have a lot of running to and fro, but still interesting enough to hold my attention. The bonus game was a nice length. I have come to expect short extra play, but this one had a little more to it than some I have gritted my teeth over paying extra for. The graphics were nice, the music was okay (I usually turn it waaaaay down or off) and didn't seem to grate on the nerves.
The story line was different, but not too extreme or fantaisical.
I really cannot add more than that, and Valdy, CBTX, and a few others always do such a complete job that mine is merely opinion.
As always, try it first, then decide.
One other thing....I finally found the 'Special effects' button in the options menu. If you unclick it, it will take that squeezed down look and stretch it to fit your screen (in most cases). Happy Gaming Fishies!

Edited on 01/24/2013 at 12:50:40 PM PST

Horrible Game [Part 1]

[Post New]by Dominick_Fontana on Jan 28, 13 12:59 AM
(Part 1 of 2)

This review is based on completing the entire game, including the Bonus chapter. I usually love the games by Elephant, but am sorry to say that I found this game to be horrible! Maybe it's me, but it seemed that virtually everything about this game simply rubbed me the wrong way.

First, the game was slow for me so I turned off the Special Effects, but it was still slow. The custom cursor was also clunky and it was better when I turned it off, but I don't like to play with the standard PC cursor. Next, I hated the HOS. With all of them, there are pictures at the bottom and you have to pick up the items and insert them in the scene. I don't like that to start with, but to add insult to injury, the Hints were terrible because they were way too short. It circles the inventory item in purple and also circles where you put it in the scene, but it only lasts about a second. Time after time, I used the hint and couldn't see where I was supposed to place the item. The funny thing is there were not that many HOS in the game.There were only 12 HOS in the main game and 4 in the Bonus chapter, for a total of 16 HOS, which is not a lot. But they were so agonizing for me, that it seemed that there were a lot more than that.

Next, as in many games, there was a lot of going back and forth, but for some reason, it really annoyed me with this game. I just gave another game a great review and there were many times I had to go 10 scenes away to get one item and then return 10 scenes without a map. This game had an interactive map, but it wasn't well implemented and the going back and forth really bothered me.

The interactive map was annoying because there was one map for the scenes within the book and another map for the library, but the map always opened to the book map. You had to click on the scroll for the library map to open it. Then, if the book map took up 2 screens, there were arrows at the top and bottom to view both parts of the book map. The annoying thing was that the map always opened to the middle book map and not to the map where you character was located. So it seems that half the time the map opened and you had to search around to find where your character was. Then in the Bonus, there is a 2nd scroll to view another map for another book.

(Continued in next message)

Horrible Game [Part 2]

[Post New]by Dominick_Fontana on Jan 28, 13 1:23 AM
(Part 2 of 2)

Next, as in most games, there are items you need and then when you find them you have to return to the scene to use them. But for some reason, I couldn't remember where I had to use the items with this game. There were too many amulets and oddball pieces of decorative items you had to find and I just couldn't remember where they went. So I used the Hint continuously and I don't like to do that.

SPOILER ALERT:

Finally, what really annoyed me was the last 2 puzzles of the Bonus chapter. In one, there are about 60 tiles of the picture of Dorian Gray. The game flashes tiles and you have to repeat them to change the tiles. It starts with 2 tiles, then 3, then 4, then 5 tiles. I was playing the puzzle about 6 minutes and then with 5 flashes I got the first 4 right and the 5th one wrong and guess what happened. THE ENTIRE PUZZLE RESET AND I HAD TO START OVER! That's a big no-no in my book. So I Skipped the puzzle.

Then in the last puzzle, there is a black and white picture of the girl and you have to use paints to color her in. But there are absolutely no clues as to how she should be colored. When you place the brush over an area it is highlighted, so I used trial and error. The background was the biggest area, so I tried different colors until I found the right one. Then I went to the dress, but this time, when I used the wrong color, guess what happened. BINGO! THE ENTIRE GAME RESET AGAINI! So I skipped it. This left a bad taste in my mouth having to skip the last 2 puzzles and took away a feeling of accomplishment.

[END OF SPOILER ALERT:

I do not recommed this game and give it 2 thumbs down . I rate this game a 4 out of 10.

[End of review]

Edited on 01/28/2013 at 1:26:19 AM PST

bessiegirl
Clownfish
Clownfish
738 Posts

[Post New]by bessiegirl on Jan 30, 13 1:46 PM
Oh dear, didn't get far in this demo before I found myself "drifting" which means for me the game is going way too slow and boring. Voiceovers are awful, however it appears the graphics are very nice and colorful. BF hasn't been offering very many quality SEs so I thought I would amuse myself with a CE and if I liked it I'd wait for the SE and buy, but this one is certainly NOT fitting the bill. Alas, another useless download.

Mickeycb
Minnow
Minnow
221 Posts

[Post New]by Mickeycb on Jan 30, 13 4:09 PM
Well, there are some things that I liked about this game and others that I did not. First of all, for the first time in almost 200 games, the music was not annoying. I think it fit the scenes and the game very nicely. The artwork was beautifully done and everything fit in nicely. Having said that, I'm not a fan of rewriting Shakespeare, so I did not like the concept of the story line. I also did not care for the way the HOS were done at all. When I have things that I have to put back into a scene, it's just crazy and irritating, especially when you have things like a rag, or cloth. I noticed an earlier review saying that there was a "purple ring" showing you were to put the item, but it never crossed my screen, so not sure what I did to miss that. Also, this is the first game where my cursor seemed to lag a bit, in spite of changing settings and such. Map jumping was okay, but you have two of them, and one is so big you have to scroll up and down to get to where you want to go. I did like the puzzles, but in one review someone mentioned having to paint a scene. I did not come across that either. All I had to paint was a UV-Light bulb. It was a bit of a let down, as far as being a CE, because like most other people I would have prefered, achievements, or pretty much ANYTHING aside from wallpaper, artwork, and music. I did find myself getting bored with this game. Some games give you that sense of urgency, it captivates your imagination and you are psyched to get this game finished. That did not happen here. I only finished it because I paid for it. Other than that, I would have stopped playing earlier in the game. Sorry, but for me this was a complete waste of time. Who rewrites Shakespeare??

kpacoma
Seahorse
Seahorse
33 Posts

[Post New]by kpacoma on Feb 1, 13 9:04 AM
W..T..F??????? This gsme can"t be CE!!!!!!!!! Maybe it's a joke? Boring!! Simple!!!! Terrible!
BFG you think I'm so stupid to play the game! Puzzles is very easy! It's only for kids! Nothing special.
I'm very disappointing!!!!

MaryLent
Lobster
Lobster
96 Posts

[Post New]by MaryLent on Feb 1, 13 1:30 PM
Thought this game was one of the BEST EVER! Definitely on my top ten list

NiceZombie
Guppy
Guppy
165 Posts

[Post New]by NiceZombie on Feb 2, 13 3:45 AM
This was a good and smooth game with lovely graphics and great music the puzzles were easy and fun and I Loved the HO ''put stuff back in scene'' type; that is my favorite kind of hidden object scene. There were many of those so I was really happy

qpr1
Clownfish
Clownfish
733 Posts

[Post New]by qpr1 on Feb 3, 13 8:18 AM
this was a fairly enjoyable game , i never can understand why devs dont give you the option to lock the inventory bar. surely that is not too much to ask

[Post New]by quarlesqueen on Apr 3, 13 3:21 PM
Just completed the game, it wasn't one of those games that blow me away, by any means, but it was an ok game, so I wish I would have purchased the SE, instead of the CE.
I did miss NOT having any collectables, to find and NO achivements to earn, for the CE price, besides that, the rest of the game play was enjoyable, but not exciting, like some games, for me anyway.
The map was a pain in the ****, don't care for maps that make you click every where, just to be able to find where you need to go, would like one that shows all places, like some do.
What I did like was having portals, to go through, always enjoy those, and the graphics looked pretty nice, on my pc, so no complaints there.
I also liked having my little friend, to fetch things, out of reach, I am a huge animal lover, so I just love having any type of animal helping me in games.
This game has some things, going for it, I don't consider it a bad game, it just didn't wow me, and for the CE price, I want to be drawn in an excited, to were I just need to know what is going to happen next, and this didn't do that, for me.
We all like different things, in a game, so try for yourself and decide .

[Post New]by JustTheFacts on Jun 7, 13 7:29 AM
The Emperor Has No Clothes!
BASED ON COMPLETED GAME

I feel like that kid who was the only one to speak the truth, surrounded as I am by glowing tributes to another great Elephant triumph. If ever there was a game where the demo reviews should be ignored, it’s this one. Only playing the whole game and using an objective approach can get at the truth, which, sadly, is that Elephant GOOFED on this one.

There are 50 RAVE REVIEWS based on the demo you can read to get all the great stuff in this game (REAL OR IMAGINED), so I’ll concentrate on what went wrong.

The first issue is the total hash they made of an EXCELLENT STORY. The Alchemist and his admittedly well drawn EVIL PUPPET just pop up anywhere and grin sadistically without having any real role to play in the plot.

Then there’s the BOOKS. Why have we more than one at all, seeing we only visit “Romeo and Juliet”? And where does the weird life these books have come from and why. They don’t even represent 4 elements or something. Just randomly created magical books of unknown origin. And the same goes for the magical knight. What’s HE got to do with the story? And the ice hall, with a ski lift? Huh?
It’s as if the developers created the main game, decided it wasn’t “imaginary” enough, and threw in a few ideas that seemed like fun.

Then there’s the SPECTACULAR GRAPHICS which, like the emperor’s new clothes, can’t be seen. In this case because, despite the gorgeous and Elizabethan colours used, the ENTIRE GAME was TOO DARK. I know the medieval era didn’t have electricity, but what about some MORE CANDLES?

Finally, there’s the most heinous crime possible. The Elephant name was always a GUARANTEE OF QUALITY, I thought. Not anymore. There were errors and inconsistencies all over the place. Particularly with that WONDERFUL 3D MAP.

Some code appeared instead of tasks. Tasks were indicated as active long after they were completed. There were tasks incorrectly stated, e.g. take the amulet from the Alchemist sarcophagus, when it was in Julie’s. Others never made it as tasks at all. And the boyfriend went from wearing glasses to not intermittently – while unconscious.

Such a promising story, starting out as a fun and beautiful game...

Maybe I should have realised that something was up when the intro (usually a special treat with Elephant Games) seemed so unfinished, cut short, and just plain sloppy.

Go to: