Re:Reviews for Surface: The Soaring City Collector's Edition

[Post New]by angelofmusic62 on Jan 24, 13 5:32 PM
I rarely buy CEs, but I will make an exception here. Positives about this game are:
Different storyline, no werewolves, ghosts or witches, or fairy tales.
Map that shows objectives and allows you to jump.
Achievements and flowers to find.
3 levels of difficulty that can be changed at any point during the game.
Good voiceovers.
Appropriate music.
Puzzles that are not impossible to do, and that have clear instructions.
HOs where you need to use an item from your inventory to complete it.
Objects were easy to find, and not too junkpile.
Excellent Elephant graphics.
Now for the negatives. Oh wait, I can't think of any! Unless you count the characters mouths moving completely out of sync. I would prefer having the mouths not move at all.
It's frigid and snowing in my part of the world, so time to snuggle in a blanket and play this great game.

debraljensen
Squid
Squid
75 Posts

[Post New]by debraljensen on Jan 24, 13 8:47 PM
Great graphics
This is fantastic on a 55 inch TV

roxycavalier
Stingray
Stingray
5,621 Posts

[Post New]by roxycavalier on Jan 24, 13 9:01 PM
Great Game, love it! flying people and even a flying cat. Best CE in the last few months. Usually skip cutscenes but not on this one. Lots of fun, instant buy. I don't think you will need the stategy guide so maybe waiting for the SE might be a wise choice but I was so into it I didn't want to wait a month to continue.

shripch
Dogfish
Dogfish
1,952 Posts

[Post New]by shripch on Jan 24, 13 9:58 PM
Whoo hooo! I love this entire series and this game is just perfect and well worth paying for a CE. That's saying a lot for me because I had basically sworn off CE"s. It seems that lately a lot of SE's have been floated as CE's just to see if we'd fall for it, but this one is truly CE material.

From the opening introduction, which fills my wide screen laptop from edge to edge, to the brilliant colors, the perfectly tuned music, the brilliant sky tinted the orange of sunset, and the perfect voice overs, I'm in love.

Just as The Great Gatsby held me in it's perfect grasp, this game is proving to be a worthy follow up for me. I'm getting very picky about the games I'll spend my money on, and this one is a big, definite buy. Enjoy!

WilJul
Stingray
Stingray
5,670 Posts

[Post New]by WilJul on Jan 24, 13 11:33 PM
Great game! The best bits:
*Beautiful graphics
*Captivating story
*Some original puzzles - some simple, some very challenging
*Typical HOS, but including interactivity with inventory items
*Achievements
*Extra items that allow you to perform "philanthropic" tasks
*Interactive/transport map
*Looooong game play!

Happy gaming, all!!

ETA: Thought I would go ahead and mention one minor negative - when a game is developed in another language there are often translation errors, especially in the HOS. That was the case in this game. Examples SPOILERS: *An astrolabe was asked for and a drafting compass was the actual item. A lamp was asked for and a light bulb was the actual item. In one scene a piece of cloth was picked up and was labeled a diaper, however it was awfully large and used as a blanket* It is worth overlooking these minor issues. Still a delightful game!

Edited on 01/24/2013 at 11:46:21 PM PST

laraly
Parrotfish
Parrotfish
428 Posts

[Post New]by laraly on Jan 25, 13 4:15 AM
I didn't like the demo of this game, despite all the others whom loved it! I found the graphics awful, compare to other Elephant's games,some of the object in the HOS very difficult to see, the art concept is scarse, the only thing nice is the story, but not enough to get the C E , maybe the S E! Hoops, too bad!

Lady_Cav
Barracuda
Barracuda
3,363 Posts

[Post New]by Lady_Cav on Jan 25, 13 8:47 AM
This game was an instant buy without demoing or playing the short video. I absolutely loved the first two Surface games! I'm thoroughly enjoying myself with The Soaring City today. This series is so well done. I finished a game yesterday *Headless Horseman* that I was so incredibly bored with by the time I finally reached the end. This game series is, to me, classy and so much better than the average IHOG - live actors, excellent voiceovers, puzzles, achievements, colorful and fanciful scenes, and great fantasy story lines. Developers, I truly hope you will continue this series. It's a cut above the rest.

cherbtoo
Orca Whale
Orca Whale
22,629 Posts

[Post New]by cherbtoo on Jan 25, 13 8:57 AM
Review after completion of game

What a great adventure, I really enjoyed this one and it took me approximately 7 hours to play it.

Spoiler Alert

This game is actually worth the CE price in my opinion because it held my interest from beginning to end including the bonus chapter and I had fun playing it, trying to get the achievements and trying to remember to look for the collectibles . I am however going to have to replay it at some time because I failed to complete the last philanthropy section darn it so I suggest that you check for the collectibles before doing anything else .

I found having to come out of a hidden object scene to look for items to complete it a novelty and it made them more interesting for me to do . There was one thing I didn't like about the hidden object scenes though and that was that twice I ended up with the hint button activating instead of the object I was clicking on disappearing (one was a compass but I didn't make a note of the first time it happened).
So devs could you please not put your objects quite so close to it or, better still, move the hint button all the way over to the bottom right corner where they normally are because it stopped me getting the achievement for not using hints.

The game did fill my widescreen monitor and had good voices overall although I thought that Hope sounded a bit too young for her character. I found the graphics, while not excellent, to be quite good although in my ideal game I would have preferred them to be a bit crisper.

My favourite parts of the game were the puzzles and the storyline. The former because I enjoyed doing them all, bar one, and the latter because, despite the fact that yet another male relative needed rescuing, at least this one was somewhere original and much more interesting to me .

I sincerely hope that the devs continue the Surface theme games with other different worlds .

Cherb

[Post New]by quarlesqueen on Jan 25, 13 2:01 PM
WOW...another WINNER from Elephant Games, had a BLAST playing this one and just asolutely LOVED every minute of it !!
What can I say STSC has it ALL, from the AWESOME storyline, with flying people and floating citys, to VERY well done, cut scenes and voice overs, which IMHO were spot on, THIS GAME COMES ALIVE, which I am sure is what the developers wanted, and they did just that...YAY for Elephant .
LOVED collecting the flowers, its little things like this in a game that adds, to the FUN factor, so really appreciate the developers, giving us gamers what we want.
The puzzles were UNBELIVEABLE, my favorite was the twist on the puzzle one with the strings, sliding them into place..WOO HOO, there were a few that I didn't care for, but for the most part, loved them . Some were very original, which is a breath of fresh air .
Also original was using items from your inventory to complete H0 scenes, LOVED the H0 scenes, and there were so many places to do things, in each scene, which totally makes the game, a cut above the rest of the H0 games, out there .
Elephant is known for their graphics, and these just blew me away, they were that GOOD, a total FEAST for this gamers eye's..THANK YOU !!
I was so excited with the main game, that I had to stop in here, to write about it.

Now off to play the BONUS, and see what I get for collecting all of those flowers.
I'm sure I will not be disapointed, this game is one FABULOUS peice of work .
WOO HOO Elephant is on a roll, it's called TALENTED in the gaming industry, congratulations on yet another WINNER, time to celebrate !

heleanthia
Guppy
Guppy
170 Posts

[Post New]by heleanthia on Jan 25, 13 5:16 PM
Oh Elephant games; I am IN LOVE!
I adore all of your games, and after the Christmas delight, was wondering HOW you could top it...
But you did, and I am in gamer heaven.
I only just started playing the bonus section but am HOPING that there will be MORE MORE MORE of similar games with delightful interactive HOGS(but not too many so that it gets boring) including where the player has occasionally to search elsewhere to complete each HOG(BRILLIANT) or use items in ones' inventory(AGAIN, BRILLIANT)

I love science fiction stories too, and it\s a joy to have something with more than gloomy depressing excursions through cemeteries(I do like spooky games but I like them and ALL games to be intelligently put together)

The adventure elements are what MAKES this(and your other great games) I really enjoy all the snooping about and using the old brain cells to figure what to do and where to go next. (I DO appreciate the map but it's fun to challenge oneself!)

So kudos, dear sirs and madams...I look forward to your next endeavours with
delight !

Edited on 01/25/2013 at 5:19:13 PM PST

steve_san
Clownfish
Clownfish
586 Posts

[Post New]by steve_san on Jan 25, 13 6:37 PM
This review is based on the trial.

PROS:
1. Really good story line.
2. Clever puzzles, a little different, some twists on tried and true ones
3. Drawing are well done though, as GG has noted in her excellent review, some are not as sharp as they could be.
4. There are voice overs which are done well and give the characters some dimension.
5. There are live actors, but see CONS.

CONS:
1. There is a "man in a dark hood" (again?) but only in the very beginning.
2. There are live actors but (and I'm not a lip reader) they are probably speaking in Russian because they're lips don't come close to matching the dialog.

Based only on the trial, I may still buy this even though its a CE.

Four and a half stars out of five.
1/2

ledheadmelli
Herring
Herring
391 Posts

[Post New]by ledheadmelli on Jan 25, 13 9:30 PM
I was really trying to avoid using my 2 credits just yet, but I'm convinced! First the 5 star reviews on the buy/demo page, then the demo that ended too soon, followed up by all the "CE worthy" rave reviews here! What's a girl to do?

SOLD! Thanks for the gentle arm-twisting, fishies!

lym_1609
Parrotfish
Parrotfish
431 Posts

[Post New]by lym_1609 on Jan 26, 13 5:49 AM
3rd Surface series, just as good, interesting storyline, great graphics, live like characters and scenery. Easy to find objects, easy mini puzzles, beautiful flowers (and easy to see too) as collectibles. I didnt check whether there was an interactive map, but seems that there is no much going backwards and forwards

LOVE IT

lym_1609
Parrotfish
Parrotfish
431 Posts

[Post New]by lym_1609 on Jan 26, 13 5:51 AM

Edited on 01/30/2013 at 2:02:30 AM PST

Lady_Cav
Barracuda
Barracuda
3,363 Posts

[Post New]by Lady_Cav on Jan 26, 13 8:12 AM
Having finished this game, I must say this is probably the first game that is even better than the first two Surface games, and that's rare for me, because I usually think that sequels can't match up to the original. But this game was wonderful! There aren't many games that hold me enthralled all the way through.
But I loved every minute of this game!

I finished the game and all the philanthropic areas with 2 flowers to spare. Had a real Awwwww!! moment ** when Ivanhoe waved goodbye**. at the very end. I congratulate the Devs on a job very well done, and hope to see another sequel soon.

Susanna2
Starfish
Starfish
50 Posts

[Post New]by Susanna2 on Jan 26, 13 12:36 PM
And yet another great surface game!
Hurray, no spooky theme, no old manor, no mental asylum (you name it).
The storyline is so entertaining, I had to go on and I had to force myself to stop from time to time.
The interactive HOGS are refreshing, the puzzles are - for me - not too hard and not too easy, the graphics are very well done ..... and then the cute little "sidekick"!
I wish there were more games like this!!

Only - I mean seriously - I have seldom seen so terrible actors! . It's one thing that they are synchronized (if you can call it like this) but they are SO theatralic. Remember anyone the nurse from "Surface, the noise she couldn't make"?
Funnily enough it already belongs for me to the "charming" side of these games though it made me laugh out loud in some inappropriate moments.

I recommend a buy in any case!

sionnach_dhu
Herring
Herring
305 Posts

[Post New]by sionnach_dhu on Jan 27, 13 6:31 AM

Edited on 01/30/2013 at 2:07:16 AM PST

Cobweb55
Minnow
Minnow
256 Posts

[Post New]by Cobweb55 on Jan 27, 13 11:45 AM
Fantastic game that has all of my must-haves: widescreen, no sparkles, jump map, well hidden (not miniscule molecule) items, beautiful graphics, useful SG and hint system, great story line.

My only beef was the same as most, lack of sync with regard to dialog and lips! I get that the devs are Russian, but most devs are and they are able get the sync right.

This was a very long play for me, as was the bonus and I'll definitely play it again!

Glad I purchased it sight unseen, I am a huge Elephant fan and am rarely disappointed with their end product. Can't wait for their next endeavor!!

[Post New]by whirled_peas on Jan 27, 13 2:28 PM
What a great game! I loved the first and played it at least 3 times. Didn't care at all for the second one. This game is as great as the first. I thought the graphics were clear and beautiful, no lagging mouse or black screen when changing scenes. Love the jumping map - although I didn't need it until the last chapter. Very happy that you can use the flowers you collect for more than just a simple achievement trophy on the screen. Lots of fun to play and easy to understand what to do. I didn't find it overly complicated like some games, where I'm constantly going to the hint (because I'm often multi-tasking while I play) as I can't remember where the heck what goes where. Very different (and again, not overly complicated) puzzles and interactive HOS make this a really fantastic game. Thank you Elephant Games! You're doing great!

[Post New]by quarlesqueen on Jan 27, 13 3:34 PM
Just finished the bonus game play and the philanthropy section, now IMHO this is a true BONUS, and what a CE bonus should be, OMG it was so FUN, and ENTERTAINING, plus the re-play value is there as well...Elephant I LOVE YOU!!

....so sorry its over though, how am I EVER going to find another game to play, that measures up to this shining JEWEL and a !!
Playing this entire game was pure JOY and EXCITMENT, around every corner, with a lot of AH HA moments, and WOW emotions ..this series is so FANTASTIC, and just keeps getting better, which is not an easy task to accomplish, but these developers, are doing just that.
I managed to collect 304 flowers, and had 4 flowers left over, after completing the philanthropy section,which by the way was a brilliant idea, and something new to add to the game play..SO BEAUTIFUL to look at as well.
I can't list all of my favorite parts, don't want to spoil it for others, all I can say is that I was WOWED, so many times, while playing this one ..thanks for that !

I am SO looking forward, to seeing what Elephant, brings us next, for me, I liked this one even more than the Nutcracker, so with these developers, the sky's the limit...I will be patiently waiting .

Go to: